Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

My greengrocer makes up packs of fresh cut pineapple, about 6-7 half slices in a pack, so there isn't as much wastage. Plus you can probably freeze it.

I tried to freeze pineapple once but it comes out mushy. Might be good if making a sorbet. 

48 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I tried to freeze pineapple once but it comes out mushy. Might be good if making a sorbet. 

I'd probably puree it before freezing. But frozen pineapple could be a good ingredient for cocktails ie a pina colada.

5 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

This is what's needed for a good pina colada.

https://www.plantationrum.com/plantation-stiggins-fancy-pineapple

The best pina colada I've ever had was at a small resort in Fiji many, many years ago.

Pina coladas on most cruise ships are disgusting.

I was just looking at the numbers in Singapore, where cruising has been successfully resumed, and was amazed at their figures. Makes NSW opening up look good. Even VIC could come out of lockdown.😉

"There were 3,703 new Covid-19 infections, MOH said, including 2,868 new cases in the community, 832 in migrant worker dormitories and three imported cases.

This is the fifth day in a row cases have exceeded 3,000 in Singapore, and there were 113 more infections than the previous day's 3,590." Source

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

I was just looking at the numbers in Singapore, where cruising has been successfully resumed, and was amazed at their figures. Makes NSW opening up look good. Even VIC could come out of lockdown.😉

"There were 3,703 new Covid-19 infections, MOH said, including 2,868 new cases in the community, 832 in migrant worker dormitories and three imported cases.

This is the fifth day in a row cases have exceeded 3,000 in Singapore, and there were 113 more infections than the previous day's 3,590." Source

Who wants to go there then? It will be on the Govt no travel list for Aussies.

While we are on the subject how about UK - 39,000 daily cases and the poms are walking around the streets thinking the pandemic has ended. Wrong !!

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Is that 3703 cases and 11 die.
Most had a underlying medical condition and on the wrong side of 60.

Compared to a flu season that’s not bad.

21 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I have never been on an airline that served pineapple juice🤔. Is it a business class thing? I only get offered apple or orange sometimes tomato juice. 

The airlines probably use it in those awful dishes of fruit salad they give you sometimes - fruit that's freezing cold and hard as a rock because it's under-ripe. Yuck.

They should publicise more widely that there's a glut of pineapples. I think the public usually steps up to use more of whatever it is the farmers need to get rid of - I do, anyway.

So many things you can do with a pineapple (and not just the rough end!). I peel and cut up a whole pineapple  - it keeps in the frige for days in a sealed container. Also juice it. Were pineapple fritters ever a thing? I seem to recall them but I can't imagine the batter sticking very well to the pineapple.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Who wants to go there then? It will be on the Govt no travel list for Aussies.

While we are on the subject how about UK - 39,000 daily cases and the poms are walking around the streets thinking the pandemic has ended. Wrong !!

I think the difference in the UK Les, is that the number of hospitalisations has decreased markedly. For example in mid January this year, there was an average 4235 hospitalisations per day and now it is down to around 700 (around a 1/6) and the daily average number of cases now is about 70% of what it was in mid January. So it would seem vaccinations have helped control the number of people being admitted to hospital. The number of deaths has decreased from just over a daily average of 1000 per day to 115 per day. I found this information on Our World in Data - https://ourworldindata.org

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I think the difference in the UK Les, is that the number of hospitalisations has decreased markedly. For example in mid January this year, there was an average 4235 hospitalisations per day and now it is down to around 700 (around a 1/6) and the daily average number of cases now is about 70% of what it was in mid January. So it would seem vaccinations have helped control the number of people being admitted to hospital. The number of deaths has decreased from just over a daily average of 1000 per day to 115 per day. I found this information on Our World in Data - https://ourworldindata.org

Exactly Leigh, and that is the world moving forward.

We are now at a point where our most vulnerable are protected (well they should be), so this is the new ‘living with covid’, as long as our hospitals are managing it’s not so much the number of new cases but the admissions and deaths we should be concerned about. We need to get our hospital beds back so we can start surgery again.

In saying that there is a great unknown on what will happen with our paediatric service when we return to the new normal. With the under 12’s not vaccinated, freedom day approaching and return to school in a week, we will wait and see…

• Like 2

21 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

One thing I've learnt over this lockdown, where we've only been shopping once a week, is what veges keep best in the fridge. Cabbage, cauli, broccolini, broccoli, brussels sprouts, celery, carrots, sweetcorn, asparagus, butternut, even lettuce, all keep well for a couple of weeks or more. Sometimes a little trimming is required to remove the old cut surfaces. Green beans and snow peas can be a bit variable. Zucchini, eggplant, cucumber, capsicums go off the quickest. 

But you need to buy them from a good greengrocer. Some supermarket produce goes off very quickly.

I wish bananas would keep longer. A couple of days and they're done for.

11 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I wish bananas would keep longer. A couple of days and they're done for.

I'm finding bananas will last from just a couple of days though to almost a week. Depends on the quality and how ripe they are. Opened one a few days ago, and although the skin looked fine, it was bruised right the way through. Also on how fast we eat them!

Edited by possum52

15 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

Exactly Leigh, and that is the world moving forward.

We are now at a point where our most vulnerable are protected (well they should be), so this is the new ‘living with covid’, as long as our hospitals are managing it’s not so much the number of new cases but the admissions and deaths we should be concerned about. We need to get our hospital beds back so we can start surgery again.

In saying that there is a great unknown on what will happen with our paediatric service when we return to the new normal. With the under 12’s not vaccinated, freedom day approaching and return to school in a week, we will wait and see…

Good luck, I am waiting with interest to see what happens in Victoria when we start to open up in the next couple of weeks or so. I am a little concerned about my three younger grandchildren, who are too young to be vaccinated and them returning to school and day care. The elder one will be fully vaccinated by then so shouldn't be a problem.

40 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Good luck, I am waiting with interest to see what happens in Victoria when we start to open up in the next couple of weeks or so. I am a little concerned about my three younger grandchildren, who are too young to be vaccinated and them returning to school and day care. The elder one will be fully vaccinated by then so shouldn't be a problem.

We are still only working on less than 1% positive children being unwell.

The majority seem to be well enough to drive their parents crazy being in isolation for 2 weeks.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

The airlines probably use it in those awful dishes of fruit salad they give you sometimes - fruit that's freezing cold and hard as a rock because it's under-ripe. Yuck.

They should publicise more widely that there's a glut of pineapples. I think the public usually steps up to use more of whatever it is the farmers need to get rid of - I do, anyway.

So many things you can do with a pineapple (and not just the rough end!). I peel and cut up a whole pineapple  - it keeps in the frige for days in a sealed container. Also juice it. Were pineapple fritters ever a thing? I seem to recall them but I can't imagine the batter sticking very well to the pineapple.

The article said airlines bought pineapple to make juice that is what got me curious as I have never been offered pineapple juice on any flight anywhere, though thinking on it I realised they didn't specify airplane so perhaps they meant the airline lounges. I've only ever been to one so I'm unfamiliar what is usually on offer.

Pineapple fritters were definitely a thing lots of places use to sell them I even remember Red Rooster use to have them, maybe still do. I never liked deep fried fruit so I'm not exactly looking for it on the menu😂

We buy fresh pineapple from time to time. We definitely prefer Hawaiian pineapple and check the origin. The Costa Rican ones seem sour compared to the Hawaiian ones. Funny thing we can get Hawaiian pineapple here in Victoria BC Canada cheaper than we could buy it in Hawaii.

We went to the Dole plantation which is a basic US tourist trap and enjoyed the place. They had some interesting merchandise and the Dole whip desert is delightful. It was also interesting watching the pineapple cutting demonstration.

For us Strawberries, raspberries and blueberries are large Vancouver Island crops and we will buy them in season but we pay a premium for them (up to 3 times the cost of California berries). We also buy local sweet corn in season although the local product is competitive compared to imports. 

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

The article said airlines bought pineapple to make juice that is what got me curious as I have never been offered pineapple juice on any flight anywhere, though thinking on it I realised they didn't specify airplane so perhaps they meant the airline lounges. I've only ever been to one so I'm unfamiliar what is usually on offer.

Pineapple fritters were definitely a thing lots of places use to sell them I even remember Red Rooster use to have them, maybe still do. I never liked deep fried fruit so I'm not exactly looking for it on the menu😂

Grilled pineapple is yummy. There are quite a few different recipes online, some sweet for dessert, others that go with savoury food.

On Crystal Symphony the buffet becomes a churrascuria at night. They grill whole pineapples on the big skewers then shave off slices at the table. Delicious!

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 5:00 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

My greengrocer makes up packs of fresh cut pineapple, about 6-7 half slices in a pack, so there isn't as much wastage. Plus you can probably freeze it.

No Greengrocers in Batemans Bay, Julie. Woolies, Aldi, Coles and IGA's have killed off the greengrocers.

Not even a stand alone fish shop, but the fish and chip shops, well some of them, sell fresh fish and oysters. Oyster glut here at the moment, Clyde River oysters $10 a dozen - opened. Sydney Rock Oysters are $14 a dozen in Woolies. I must get some and do an oysters kilpatrick. Lubbly Jubbly.

th.jpg.419112868711b207628c632622331cdc.jpg

Edited by NSWP

16 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Grilled pineapple is yummy. There are quite a few different recipes online, some sweet for dessert, others that go with savoury food.

On Crystal Symphony the buffet becomes a churrascuria at night. They grill whole pineapples on the big skewers then shave off slices at the table. Delicious!

I do ham steaks with grilled pineapple.🍋

14 minutes ago, NSWP said:

No Greengrocers in Batemans Bay, Julie. Woolies, Aldi, Coles and IGA's have killed off the greengrocers.

Not even a stand alone fish shop, but the fish and chip shops, well some of them, sell fresh fish and oysters. Oyster glut here at the moment, Clyde River oysters $10 a dozen - opened. Sydney Rock Oysters are $14 a dozen in Woolies. I must get some and do an oysters kilpatrick. Lubbly Jubbly.

th.jpg.419112868711b207628c632622331cdc.jpg

No local weekly farmers markets either? 

Even in Lane Cove we're now down to one greengrocer, in Lane Cove West. However it's a very popular greengrocer and I guess there are enough people here who are prepared to pay a bit extra for fresh produce. Actually since there is less wastage from the produce going rotten too quickly like the supermarket stuff it probably ends up being not much more expensive.