River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

44 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Robin – I hid your post because the CDC card shows your full name.  I know that your first name has already been used on Cruise Critic, but I don't believe your last name has been revealed before.  If you are not worried about it, I will unhide.

BTW – congrats on getting your vaccine!  And I hope that you continue to feel no side-effects.

I have used my last name before, somewhere, so it's no big deal.

2.5 hours now, and my arm isn't even sore.

Robin

• Like 2

On 1/9/2021 at 9:39 AM, acwmom said:

The current plan seems to focus on developing mega sites to administer vaccine, which isn’t plausible, given the need for social distancing, observation time, and number of staff needed.

Upper East TN successfully held mega site vaccinations at the Bristol Motor Speedway and Dragway.  Drive in, loop around the oval if there lots of cars, open window when it's your turn, stick out arm and get shot, then be directed to parking area where you'll be observed.  

• Like 1

Our lock down has been extended till 31 January and the tougher measures came into effect on Monday. Things in Saxony not looking good with Thuringia not far behind in severity. The hotspot in Rhineland-Palatinate is the city of Worms. There people are not allowed to travel for leisure further than a 15 kilometres radius and no day trippers are allowed into the city if they live further than 15km away. Night curfew from 9pm to 5am.

River cruising in March?! I cannot see it happening. First we need to get our elderly vaccinated and the shops open, before we can think of restaurants and hotels. Measures could well last a long time: https://www.dw.com/en/germany-battles-one-of-the-toughest-pandemic-stages-health-minister/a-56209728

My elderly relative has has her first vaccine jab now. She advanced in the queue by a stroke of luck (for her) as a couple of others could not be vaccinated. One worry less in life, even though it is only her first dose. A dear person in the UK has also now had her first vaccine dose.

Brexit and Coronavirus have interrupted delivery channels from the British Isles so I will need to bake my own pies for the foreseeable future. No travels to the island for several months to come. The date keeps getting pushed back. I know it will be a changed place when I finally get there, but at least the rolling hills of Kent will still be there.

notamermaid

• Like 1

And we will welcome you, there are some peculiarities with the delivery 🚚 situation but it will get sorted. Have you discovered the Kentish wines? Our latest is that the powers that be intend to start inoculations 24/7 the armed forces are on standby to help with this, the impression is that their just waiting for more vaccination supplies. I still cannot understand the people who drive for miles to go for a walk a friend of ours lives in Chedder which suddenly has a heavy incidence of the virus it turns out they’ve had loads of visitors from well outside of the area. Keep well all CA

6 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Have you discovered the Kentish wines?

Yes. As I am not really a white wine drinker, I do not buy any wine when I am there, there being still almost exclusively whites as far as I know. Not sure if reds work in England but I have not looked in the last few years. This is a famous vineyard I visited quite some years ago: https://biddendenvineyards.com/

Other than that I like the ciders and fruit juices of Kent, Brogdale near Faversham is a great place to visit for that.

As regards whites I do like the Edelzwicker and Gewürztraminer of Alsace, though. Last year on my trip to Würzburg I noticed that the Franken white wines are kind of my palate. Will try a couple more when I am next there. Whenever that will be. First endeavour will be to make it to Rüdesheim and back or Luxembourg and back.

notamermaid

So many people say they don't like German Reislings because they are too sweet.  I say:  bring on the Trockenbeerenauslese!

PS – Glad to rejoin the land of the living.  DW and I had our second Shingrix shots yesterday afternoon and once again it knocked us for a loop.  Glad that's over.

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So many people say they don't like German Reislings because they are too sweet.  I say:  bring on the Trockenbeerenauslese!

We were actually pleased with the Rieslings on our boat, but they were more from the Alsace area.  The German ones that are imported here (unless you go for the expensive ones) do tend to be on the sweet side.  Our server told us (jokingly probably) that they kept all the dryer Rieslings for local consumption, and shipped the sweeter ones overseas.

18 minutes ago, rcaruso said:

The Silvaner, Franken white wine is my favorite.  It reminds me a lot of a sauvignon blanc out of Austraila.  Would be great sipping a glass on the Bridge in Wurzburg.

Oh yes, thought about our planned CC meeting on the bridge just yesterday! I had originally pencilled in late May or a bit later, but a while ago decided it really needs to be after Summer. Still planning to get something together, not sure yet how to virtually toast with a glass but we will figure it out. Perhaps someone can join in person. Seems ages ago we all enthusiastically talked about Würzburg.

That has lifted my spirits again. :classic_smile::classic_smile: Thanks for mentioning the Bridge.

notamermaid

• Like 3

Daisi, you hear that all over the world about wine, the Spanish keep the best Riojas at home the Canadians keep their wines really close to home, many years ago we discovered South African wines. It’s good fun trying all these different varieties. Notamermaid your right about our reds so we’re working on that. The West Country is the place for Cider just be careful of the scrumpy especially the orange coloured ones. So enjoy testing them. CA

3 hours ago, rcaruso said:

The Silvaner, Franken white wine is my favorite.  It reminds me a lot of a sauvignon blanc out of Austraila.  Would be great sipping a glass on the Bridge in Wurzburg.

Love Silvaner, for a simple summer quaff. Never can find it here. Just another reason to head to the Alte Mainbrücke.

Edited by jpalbny

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

PS – Glad to rejoin the land of the living.  DW and I had our second Shingrix shots yesterday afternoon and once again it knocked us for a loop.  Glad that's over.

My first one caused fatigue the 2nd day. Nothing except for a sore arm with my 2nd one.

30 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Love Silvaner, for a simple summer quaff. Never can find it here. Just another reason to head to the Alte Mainbrücke.

They don't have Silvaner either, but for your other wine-buying pleasure I'm sure you know about Empire Wine.  I stock up on my house wines [H3 Merlot and Sledgehammer Zinfandel] because their prices are 'insane,' and if you buy enough they'll drive down all the way from Albany for free.

So does anyone here like Edelweiss wine?

Living in Nebraska - it is the best wine we can make (we need a grape that can survive here) and we have won national awards for it. This is the extent of my wine knowledge.......

40 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

They don't have Silvaner either, but for your other wine-buying pleasure I'm sure you know about Empire Wine.  I stock up on my house wines [H3 Merlot and Sledgehammer Zinfandel] because their prices are 'insane,' and if you buy enough they'll drive down all the way from Albany for free.

Yes, Empire is my go-to place. I order online and they text me when it's ready to pick up. Drive a few minutes, park in their pickup spot, pop the trunk, and text them back to let them know which spot to bring the case(s). Can't beat their prices, or the convenience.

And they take PayPal. If you have AMEX Platinum, AMEX will reimburse $30 worth of PayPal charges every month until the end of June. So I paid for Sunday's order with PayPal, after linking my PayPal to my AMEX, and got my case of wine for $30 off their already low prices.

• Thanks 1

Amex Platinum is really paying for itself this year.  $50 x 2 at Saks [DW buys make-up that she would be buying somewhere anyway, but this way it's free]  $50 x 2 at Home Depot [too late for the tree, but I am buying shelving for the garage so I'll just space the orders out]  Your mention of Empire [which I didn't notice - my bad]  $200 back for Delta upgrades.  $200 to Schwab.  That's $630 to pay back the $550 fee.  And 5x points on airline tickets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

My friend in Karlstadt (15 min from Wurzburg) sent me a bottle of Silvaner from the local Weinbau. I haven't opened it yet, but soon.  When I do I'll lift a glass to hoping we all meet up in Wurzburg soon.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Amex Platinum is really paying for itself this year.  $50 x 2 at Saks [DW buys make-up that she would be buying somewhere anyway, but this way it's free]  $50 x 2 at Home Depot [too late for the tree, but I am buying shelving for the garage so I'll just space the orders out]  Your mention of Empire [which I didn't notice - my bad]  $200 back for Delta upgrades.  $200 to Schwab.  That's $630 to pay back the $550 fee.  And 5x points on airline tickets.

I have been meaning to get this card. Simply because those with this card had no problems disputing travel this year. I am hesitant to spend the money this year on the fee since I am not traveling.

Things are not going that well in Germany and there is growing concern over the variants from the UK, South Africa and Brazil. I fear it will not be long before other countries talk of being concerned about the Germany variant - when it happens to appear. Quite likely we will get our own mutation. Why does the virus do that?? I am rather annoyed.

Vaccinating our older people feels like a race against time. I read that in Yorkshire in the UK they have problems with disruptions due to snow. Snow is coming here at the weekend and some of our vaccination centres are in rural areas. Will see how we fare.

I have not had any contact with my boss or work colleagues since 18 December and apart from one or two e-mails this will probably remain so into February. I cannot see me going back to work on 1 February. For what anyway? There is no tourism, I am completely non-relevant to the system.

I fell up the stairs yesterday and knocked my shinbone. Worse than the pain was the thought of ending up in a busy A&E (it was too late in the day to go to the local GP). But it is okay now, just a bruise. Shall even be more careful now...

My mask collection is growing, my favourites at the moment are two with Christmas motifs. The way things are going we will see new designs with Spring flowers and Easter eggs coming soon.

In case someone is wondering: it has been a good year since I was encouraged to start the threads on water levels on the Danube, Elbe and Rhine early. I started them all on 4 January. Many people joined with enthusiasm and anticipation about their upcoming river cruise... I noticed that it pains my heart when I think about starting this year's threads. I am not ready and I hope I am excused for some more days. Definitely coming. In the meantime, I see you at the water cooler. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

• Like 1

Today is the first time since March  I have visited the RC boards.  I have hope that we will be able to travel again in the not too distant future. I’m willing to wait my turn and I think by fall both my hubby and I will be vaccinated as long as the federal government provides them. Keeping the faith. 🙏 Looking forward to receive the brochures again. Good luck to all and stay vigilant. 

Edited by Got2Cruise
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Coral said:

We have a blizzard going on right now.... Love Midwest winter. 56 degrees two days ago, blizzard started last night at 12 am until 6 pm today. Driving to work was fun.

We are supposed to have that system arrive Friday night to Sunday.  It's very mild here, 1C.  So glad we no longer have to get up and drive in the storms, or clean out our laneway in order to do so.

@jklc123, we are wondering where winter is here as well.  Normally January is down to the -20 C range for daytime.  It feels weird to see the ducks swimming down the creek in our backyard, we don't usually get them until spring when it thaws.  They say we are to expect colder weather soon, but I'm not complaining.