River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

@notamermaid,  I couldn't help but embarassingly chuckle at your comments about "Ze Germans are coming - close the country down!"----   Germans streaming across the Dutch and Luxembourg borders are something the Dutch and others  have sadly experienced far too often in history!

I hope CC world doesn't take my comment the wrong way-- I am not making light of the tragedies of the past, but I found the comment darkly humorous.  Hordes of shoppers and folks with unkempt hair invading.  Then again, invaders willing to part with their euros may be just what the economy ordered.

If I am out of line, powers, please delete my post, but one cannot ignore the irony.

Edited by sharkster77

Yes, the irony was not lost on me either... Blame it on me having learnt British humour. In our normally happy European world of open borders and friendship, closing the borders in Spring was painful and disturbing everyday life and the transport of goods. This time borders stay open. We were told that we should not go to Luxembourg shopping though, "you should stay at home". My first thought was, ah yes shopping in Luxembourg, had not thought of that! Sounds good... Many, many others must have decided to go. Staying at home, no way! But Luxembourg is quite a way, so myself I shall be busy around here, perhaps a trip to a takeaway café at the weekend.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

@notamermaid,  I couldn't help but embarassingly chuckle at your comments about "Ze Germans are coming - close the country down!"----  

I too laughed at that.  We lived in Bonn from 1988 to 1990.  Before we moved there it would never have occurred to me that people would go to such extremes as shopping in the Netherlands, Belgium or France.

One of the first questions I asked a group of moms - Girl Scout leaders who were coercing me into becoming a troop leader and treasurer for all the local troops 😊 - shortly after we arrived is where to get my hair cut (just a simple cut and blow dry).  The first answer was "Paris".  I must admit that woman's hair was beautifully cut and styled but I didn't believe her so I laughed.  She proclaimed that there were no good hairdressers in Bonn and the other woman more or less concurred since I didn't get any recommendations.  I wasn't about to drive to/from Paris for an expensive haircut and found a perfectly adequate hairdresser for my perfectly adequate hair less than a mile from home.

Edited by capriccio

I live just north of "the world's longest undefended border", and my sister just south. The Canada/US border has been closed to non-essential travel (at least by land) since March 21. The current closure is to run to Jan 21, but the closure is likely to be extended yet again. For me, in addition to not having seen my sister since Christmas last year, I miss some of my favourite clothing stores in Rochester. I assume that stores in Buffalo and the outlet malls near the Queenston-Lewiston bridge are suffering; they get a lot of their shoppers from Canada.

The only good thing about the pandemic thus far was that Niagara Falls was fairly quiet when we visited in October. And that was only good for us, mind you. The businesses, probably not so much. 

Just finished shoveling out our front walk. Now to venture out for some supplies that I'll need to clean the fish tank.

20201218_113825.thumb.jpg.fcbb7a995d3f1060be1e8ec92e10cb50.jpg

A busy day off! Chris is here with me, but she's working. Once she logs off we'll pick up some dinner from a local restaurant and take the night off from cooking. 

Edited by jpalbny

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

The only good thing about the pandemic thus far was that Niagara Falls was fairly quiet when we visited in October. And that was only good for us, mind you. The businesses, probably not so much. 

Just finished shoveling out our front walk. Now to venture out for some supplies that I'll need to clean the fish tank.

20201218_113825.thumb.jpg.fcbb7a995d3f1060be1e8ec92e10cb50.jpg

A busy day off! Chris is here with me, but she's working. Once she logs off we'll pick up some dinner from a local restaurant and take the night off from cooking. 

Wow, that's a lot of snow! No snow blower?

Seems so funny to look out on our green grass and see your pics @jpalbny.  Usually by now, that's what our area looks like.  I do hope you have some ice melt or cat litter around, as the nice sunny days tend to turn that little bit of left over snow to ice.

Enjoy your time off, and dinner that you don't have to cook.  You guys deserve it.

Hoping all stay safe.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, acwmom said:

Wow, that's a lot of snow! No snow blower?

Nope. There never was room for one in the garage in the past. Audis are way more fun!

Now we have room but with all the exercise I've been doing during the pandemic, this wasn't bad at all. I'll shovel while I can.

Things here and in Europe are not going well. The bright, only positive thing really is that I went out for a dear person to get the free FFP2 masks and it went very smoothly, elderly relatives have also been able to get them straight away. You remember that 50 per 100,000 incidence rate? We have been long past it. They have been telling us that we need to get down to such a figure again before we can reopen more than just a few shops. End of lockdown on 10 January? Little chance I think. And the sentiment among shop owners is likewise, from what I have heard from anecdotal conversations. No fireworks sales, no congregation on New Year's Eve. Alcohol consumption in public banned. Just plain boring. Now waiting for the good news from the European Medical Association about the vaccine.

Other countries: Italy - impending lockdown, Switzerland - impending lockdown, Austria - impending lockdown. I mean they have all been announced, I just cannot remember the exact dates for each.

I am sad about a returned Christmas card. Got it back on Thursday with the date of death of a friend written on it. Not Covid-19. But it hit me although he had been ill for several years.

And I am worried about my dear people in Kent. The authorities have identified a new variant that is spreading rapidly. A dear person will now be spending Christmas alone, Christmas dinner dropped off on her doorstep and the children on zoom connection. Nearby I have relatives I have not seen all year and on Christmas day will wave to them from the end of their front garden.

I still utter things like "not too bad, my parents survived air raids and a prison camp" to anyone willing to listen. It puts me back down to earth when I think about it all and helps to drown out the moaners and the defiant trying to use space in my brain.

Still have four days to figure out our regulations, I think I have one too many people in my Christmas dinner bubble.

notamermaid

Shows that these days we cannot plan ahead, our family meet up cannot go ahead now so we will be zooming, our youngest daughter and family inc grandson are now in tier 4, eldest daughter and husband are in tier 2 as we are, but as requested we will not be travelling to meet up on Christmas Day. Notamermaid we have had three cards with the same news that you had, again none COVID related, two had been my husbands work colleagues. 
Watching the last night of Strictly with an excellent bottle of wine after a slice of a great German import Stollen. 
Chins up regardless of Snow and Rain. CA

We find out on Monday as to how much more of our province will be going into lockdown. Rumours are the Southern part, but does that include the Eastern part as well?  I'm hoping not, as being in the yellow zone, we are 2 away from lockdown, but if it will help, I guess we will have to cope.  Areas around us are getting worse, and we don't really want them coming in to our area and passing it along.

We have pretty much given up on Christmas here, my sister is doing a meal delivery as it was her turn.  We will go to my parents for breakfast as we are in and out of their home all the time doing all the odd jobs.  We were up there today, and fortunately, caught Mom making the Stollen,  so put in our order to make sure to add the nuts....for years we have had to go without due to my nephew having an allergy.  Since he won't be there, we can enjoy our treat again. 🙂

Take care all & stay safe.

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Shows that these days we cannot plan ahead, our family meet up cannot go ahead now so we will be zooming, our youngest daughter and family inc grandson are now in tier 4, eldest daughter and husband are in tier 2 as we are, but as requested we will not be travelling to meet up on Christmas Day. CA

Hi CA -

Can you explain what the different tiers mean?   Is Tier 4 a tighter lockdown than Tier 2?  We have colour coded levels here (instead of numbered levels)... I am still trying to learn all of the nuances.

Thanks so much.

Fran

4 hours ago, Daisi said:

We find out on Monday as to how much more of our province will be going into lockdown. Rumours are the Southern part, but does that include the Eastern part as well?  I'm hoping not, as being in the yellow zone, we are 2 away from lockdown, but if it will help, I guess we will have to cope.  Areas around us are getting worse, and we don't really want them coming in to our area and passing it along.

Daisi - it is the "out of area" travelers that concern me as well.  We have been in the red zone - one away from grey & lockdown - for a few weeks now.   Our numbers are still below the 40/100,000 - but we are hearing grumblings that they want to lock us down just because of our proximity to metro TO.  Plus, people who live downtown come out here to shop - "because they can"...  Rather frustrating.  Oh well...  we will find out on Monday afternoon what the plans are for us.  Our personal  plans won't change even if we lock down --> my boys are in & out of here almost daily, so they will also be here for Christmas dinner. 

Fran

We’ve just been hit with tier 4, tier 1 is the least restrictive steadily getting tighter the higher the tier. (The system is a bit complicated and tends to change seemingly at the whim of a scientist, medical expert or politician.) Tier 4 has been introduced for the South east approximately where the COVID virus has mutated. We now have an almost free day on Christmas Day only instead of the five days around it that was first offered. 
I think I would prefer a complete lock down to enable everyone who can be vaccinated to be done and to enable companies and education establishments to sort themselves out.

Europe has still to pass a vaccine for use which is interesting because ours was passed using EU legislation. 
Keep well CA

UK and EU worried about new variant

The new variant that has emerged in London and South and Southeast England has alarmed not just the UK but also European countries. Germany is stopping air travel from the UK with immediate effect. Similar reactions have come from other countries and it also affects train travel. Tomorrow will see European country representatives meet to discuss measures further.

I also read that Sidney is having problems again.

notamermaid

It has just been reported here that the new mutation from the south east UK has now arrived in Australia with some returning travellers or flight crew.  Currently flight crew appear to be causing a few problems here, that we are trying to sort out.

Luckily the travellers are in mandatory hotel quarantine, so hopefully that will nip it in the bud.

I am so sorry for you all with your new lockdowns, as you know we had it for four months.  We are relatively free for Christmas here in Melbourne, but I feel it is just a matter of time before we end up locked down again.

A little bit of cheering up from one of our ‘lady’ black cab drivers.

Covid: The black cab tour of London’s Christmas lights https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55338450

According to reports the variant most probably came about when someone with an already compromised immune system caught COVID 19. 
What I found astonishing was the lady who phoned into a radio station to ask if it was okay to fly away on a swanky holiday, as once she was in the air she was no longer in a tier 4 area.

Still as Bill Bailey said during his epic win on Strictly ‘The Show Must Go On’ so my husband is out playing with a boat and I’m going to wrap his presents, bless on line shopping. CA

They have stopped flights from the UK to Canada for the next 72 hours... not sure why that time frame?  Unless it is to give them time to come up with a "better" plan...

We have been informed that we are going into grey zone/lockdown on December 26th (Boxing Day for us here...).  All non-essential businesses will be closing.  Southern & Eastern Ontario for 28 days --> Northern Ontario for 14 days. School break is extended until January 11th - with the older kids (secondary school) doing remote learning for another week after that.  The dates do hinge on Covid numbers of course... lockdown may be extended if our numbers don't improve.   

Vaccinations have started, but we don't have the number of doses that other countries currently have access to - so our vaccination process will take longer.  

I know that this is December... But, in some ways (except for the weather...) - seems like we are stuck in March 2020!!

Fran

Seeing all the snow, I thought it might help if you saw the view from my holiday balcony last week. We are lucky where I live in Australia as there is no community transmission in this State. The only people with the virus are returning overseas travelers in hotel quarantine.670982589_ViewfromSolnamaraBalcony.jpg.d09203d290d5a7f7f680f077fdeae1c5.jpg

• Like 3