River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

Thanks for the video. Canal archive. I had not read this, the EU had actually officially declared a month ago that all the rules that we need to stick to as regards travelling, do not apply to Father Christmas, the Christkind and all the other important people. Here are a few children interviewed in Berlin in November: https://www.dw.com/en/dear-santa-please-make-the-coronavirus-go-away/av-55672224

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
spelling

Here in the US (and around the world obviously), all children should be reassured that Dr. Fauci himself has vaccinated Santa (https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fauci-vaccinated-santa-claus_n_5fde2c4fc5b607e6348b0f3e)

“I took a trip up there to the North Pole, I went there and I vaccinated Santa Claus myself,” Fauci said Saturday on CNN, responding to multiple queries from worried children. “I measured his level of immunity, and he is good to go. He can come down the chimney. He can leave the presents, he can leave and you have nothing to worry about.”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Here in the US (and around the world obviously), all children should be reassured that Dr. Fauci himself has vaccinated Santa (https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fauci-vaccinated-santa-claus_n_5fde2c4fc5b607e6348b0f3e)

“I took a trip up there to the North Pole, I went there and I vaccinated Santa Claus myself,” Fauci said Saturday on CNN, responding to multiple queries from worried children. “I measured his level of immunity, and he is good to go. He can come down the chimney. He can leave the presents, he can leave and you have nothing to worry about.”

I saw that also! I knew he had come out previously (weeks ago) and said that Santa had an immunity to this but so glad he got the shot just in case! I think we can all sleep better now 🙂 .

We are in the middle of a winter storm. It looks like a snow globe here. Lots of high winds and snow. Probably not much accumulation but it is crazy out there. Just North of here is having a blizzard.

Edited by Coral

There was a ‘phone in’ this morning on BBC radio for children with any questions, I was so impressed they asked some fantastic questions and really had a handle on up to date topics, they really showed some adults who have been on recently, up. 
Getting excited no Christmas Eve tomorrow. CA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

I watched that on Saturday morning. It was very interesting and we have some amazing kids

who ask very smart questions.😀

• Like 1

Agree. There are some amazing children with surprising trains of thoughts - and sometimes solutions - around.

In 2016 Eurotunnel had it sorted for their customers which way to go and even put signs up for Father Christmas. We just headed home and also found our way as there is a different sign that says "France" clearly on it. I wonder if children had a solution for all those lorry drivers stuck in Dover. :classic_sad:

DSCN1204.thumb.JPG.42d8822b293165b1ae7b4537534d3416.JPG

Edited by notamermaid
clarification
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

If you want to find out where Santa is on his global journey go to ‘noradsanta.org’ again for kids of all ages. CA

NORAD has been doing this since the mid-50s. Originally, it started with an incorrect phone number that went into what became NORAD asking about where Santa was, and it has continued by phone and now by internet since then. (Incidentally, I was reminded about the history on the radio just after I read this post.)

Not a good Christmas in Nashville.  For those of you in the US, and maybe in Canada, you probably saw on the news we had a 6:30 am car bombing in the downtown Nashville 2nd Ave. Historic District.  Damage to at least 20 structures, most of them on the National Register.  This is normally a heavily trafficked tourist area so it could have potentially been much worse.  3 people were injured but nothing life threatening.  Human remains were found near the RV containing the bomb but we don't know if the remains are those of the bomber or an innocent passer by.   

As of this morning we don't know anything more about the who, what, and why.  FBI, ATF, and Homeland Security, along with the TBI and Metropolitan Police, are swarming the scene. 

Roz,  I live in Cincy about 5 hrs from Nashville,  my brother lives 45 min from Nashville;  it is terrible.  I guess since it was so early and a Holiday;  that kept the death toll down.  It still is bad that it happened.  All the best.

Good morning......Roz, I was thinking about you when I saw this happen........my heartfelt wishes go out to all of you in Nashville.

What a year it has been for your city.  Really unbelievable.☹️

• Like 2

Roz, I heard about that yesterday.  I really hope those who were injured are going to be ok.  It is sad about losing some of your history, hopefully they can take lessons from the European towns that were destroyed in the wars and re-build them.  It will never be the same, but at least for visitors, it will look it.

Take care.

• Like 1

I'm watching the press conference on the bombing.  No new information, just the FBI and ATF telling us how wonderful they are.  40 buildings (up from 20) are damaged, and 500 tips have been called in.

I see they have a "person of interest" that is possibly connected to the RV...and that Google Maps street view has a very similar RV in that person's driveway.  It's going to take some time, but hopefully this is one person acting on their own...and there will be no "copy-cat" attempts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Very sad to read about the Nashville bombing - especially on Christmas day! It is a blessing that there were no critical injuries. I am curious to learn about the human tissue found at the site - I wonder if this was some type of suicidal event.

Hi, yes........from what I have just read, suicide bomber looks likely.

Really sorry to hear about Nashville. Difficult to comprehend as to why a person would do that. Glad to hear the damage to life was not worse.

Here in Germany the first vaccinations have begun. In two states 101-year-olds have been chosen for the first vaccine jab in each. Kind of symbolic and one official said that a person that has survived two pandemics (i.e. 1919 flu and 2020 Coronavirus so far) deserves to be the first.

Austria has entered the third lockdown now, ours of course continues until 10 January. New cases have fallen here now, but that could just be because there is less testing and less reporting over the holidays. Next week will reveal the true numbers.

Austria is in the news today as the lovely weather caused chaos in the streets to the winter sports areas. Day trippers are allowed to go, so far too many went. Not everyone in Germany behaved either apparently as the police had to heavily fine a Protestant church congregation in Augsburg for not sticking to social distancing rules during Christmas mass.

Even naughtier are British tourists as they disappeared from a quarantine hotel in Switzerland where they were supposed to isolate as they may carry the new virus variant. Some of them have been traced in France in the meantime. I wonder if the Swiss authorities pass on the data to the British authorities? No idea what rules apply to that.

Things are quiet here otherwise, my elderly relatives will probably hear soon in the new year about when they can expect to be offered their vaccine. It will not become mandatory for the general public, it may well become a requirement in certain settings of the health sector. But that is for the not so near future to show if rules are made. Lufthansa airline is also looking at strategies for safe air travel in the future but as an airline cannot and do not want passengers to have to have a vaccine to fly with them, an airline official has said.

Will see how things go in the next few months. Nowhere near any kind of normal life and I do not see our restaurants reopening on 10 January or river cruise ships on the rivers in March. But who knows, A-ROSA may make it from Cologne to Amsterdam and back for the first tulips. I like to hope but realism keeps me from hoping much.

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...

Lockdown in Germany extended to at least 31 January, with tougher restrictions than we have had up to now. If you are interested: https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-germany-extends-covid-lockdown-until-january-31/a-56134498

If we "extrapolate" from there the situation is unlikely to bring back hotel opening and river cruising in March. I do not think ships will sail but will see how it goes. Perhaps I am too pessimistic.

Borders remain open.

One of my bosses has Covid-19.

I am not going back to work before 6 February.

Before Christmas, my neighbour was in quarantine as one of her colleagues had Covid-19. She is the neighbour who has the two cats that rule our yard. Luckily her subsequent test was negative. The cats seem fine as well.

I am sort of bored but that will pass.

It bothers me that the police are allowed to stop me if they conclude from my car number plate that I have "strayed" and gone further than 15km from my home. Provided that my area has reached the hotspot incidence rate. I like my trips out into the countryside and I will go out to see snow when it finally falls in decent amounts.

Snow always dampens noise and calms my spirits.

Take care.

notamermaid