How many more times does RCCL suspends cruises before they say enough is enough for 2020 ?

Jimbo

1 hour ago, steveru621 said:

Australia had a curious initial response to Covid 19.  After we left Radiance on March 15 it was necessary for us to spend a few days at the Hilton Sydney CBD.  We witnessed large crowds of people and absolutely no social distancing what-so-ever.  Then after we left the government started the 14 day quarantine.  This was in the middle of urgent emails and Facebook posts from relatives and friends in the U.S.sounding the alarm.

Social distancing was only recommended by our Prime Minister on March 15th 2020.  By March 30th it became law, with heavy fines & even jail for offenders.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can see on some other threads, Royal is sending some of it's crew back to their homes. I'm sure that means  there won't be any start ups anytime soon. My guess of no more cruising in 2020 might not be that far off.

I also heard today that President is meeting with all the Sports Major Leagues, Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey. Think he might be giving his  ideas on what is going to become of the rest of their  2020 seasons.

https://clutchpoints.com/nfl-news-president-donald-trump-meeting-with-all-major-league-sports-commissioners-on-saturday/

Edited by Jimbo

41 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I can see on some other threads, Royal is sending some of it's crew back to their homes. I'm sure that means  there won't be any start ups anytime soon. My guess of no more cruising in 2020 might not be that far off.

I also heard today that President is meeting with all the Sports Major Leagues, Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey. Think he might be giving his  ideas on what is going to become of the rest of their  2020 seasons.

https://clutchpoints.com/nfl-news-president-donald-trump-meeting-with-all-major-league-sports-commissioners-on-saturday/

Crew always goes home for just about two months. This is no indication for the rest of 2020.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Agreed.  I can't imagine the logistics of reassembling entire crews from far-flung places around the world, perhaps dealing with their own problems for a while.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

This is not the normal going home......get serious?

Of course it is.not the normal going home, however still no indication for how long. They need the jobs and will go back as soon as possible. Trust me, organizing this is my wifes job...

4 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Of course it is.not the normal going home, however still no indication for how long. They need the jobs and will go back as soon as possible. Trust me, organizing this is my wifes job...

What's your wife's idea about the stock? what's the company telling her?

8 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Interesting.  Which cruise line does she work for?

15 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Interesting.  Which cruise line does she work for?

It is a Europe based company but they are all working around the clock with colleagues in Manila and other places to find solutions and options for traveling. Most countries, ports and airports are closed and airlines are not flying. Also not possible to bring replacements on the ships as this would bring additional virus risks for the crew.

It will take a long time for the industry to receover and since a majority of the the cruisers are elderly, even when cruising will resume they will either not be abllowed or will not feel comfortable themselves to go cruising as long as the virus is still around.

As things are turning Europe should be getting out of the situation way before the US which might make a mini European cruise season as of July theoretically. Here also, not everyone will feel comfortable to head back on board, hence we might only see Allure. Anthem and Explorer in Europe given that they are also supposed to go into dry dock in France / Spain. Although this is also a mess as due to the virus the shipyards are currently closed.

In the US we might have the whole Alaska season cancelled and possibly have the cruiselines start offering cruises not before August / September with a reduced capacity. As it's probably still cheaper to have less ships up and running but at acceptable yields than half empty ships.

Let's hope that by latest end o May we will know better where all of this is heading too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LXA350 said:

It will take a long time for the industry to receover and since a majority of the the cruisers are elderly, even when cruising will resume they will either not be abllowed or will not feel comfortable themselves to go cruising as long as the virus is still around.

As things are turning Europe should be getting out of the situation way before the US which might make a mini European cruise season as of July theoretically. Here also, not everyone will feel comfortable to head back on board, hence we might only see Allure. Anthem and Explorer in Europe given that they are also supposed to go into dry dock in France / Spain. Although this is also a mess as due to the virus the shipyards are currently closed.

In the US we might have the whole Alaska season cancelled and possibly have the cruiselines start offering cruises not before August / September with a reduced capacity. As it's probably still cheaper to have less ships up and running but at acceptable yields than half empty ships.

Let's hope that by latest end o May we will know better where all of this is heading too.

That is the best summary of the status quo I have read so far. Totally agree! 

Well the Australian based RCL ships are getting kicked out so they got together and one is taking Indonesian crew home, another is taking crew home to the Philippines as well as finding a way to help Indian crew home.  Forget what was said (if anything) about the ships' next locations themselves.

Doesn't sound short term to me.

On 4/2/2020 at 9:11 AM, pyrateslife4me84 said:

A) there is evidence that it is flattening where people are isolating

B) if it doesn’t flatten, this ends faster and more die. There is no reality where it both doesn’t flatten AND lasts longer. We are trying to squish a cupcake into a pancake but there’s only so much batter, either way. 

Isolation doesn’t stop COVID19, it just delays and helps maintain a treatable number for our healthcare providers. It can easily kick back up. Only a vaccine will stop the spread. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Isolation doesn’t stop COVID19, it just delays and helps maintain a treatable number for our healthcare providers. It can easily kick back up. Only a vaccine will stop the spread. 

No epidemiologists actually suggest isolation for 18 months. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

No epidemiologists actually suggest isolation for 18 months. 

right, we will slowly start geting back to normal after we get over the initial shock, but that doesnt mean you wont get it, just that the hospital will have the capacity to treat you.  Like Milwaukee Eight said, we are all at risk until there is a vaccine. 

When things start back up I wonder if Med cruises will be slower to respond.  I don't know the percentages of US passengers on Med cruises, but I am guessing it is a fair amount.  US citizens might be hestitent to take Med cruises.  Not so much because of flights in regards to catching it, if it is still around, but being "trapped" overseas because countries go back on lock down.

10 minutes ago, 20165 said:

right, we will slowly start geting back to normal after we get over the initial shock, but that doesnt mean you wont get it, just that the hospital will have the capacity to treat you.  Like Milwaukee Eight said, we are all at risk until there is a vaccine. 

Yes. Like any respiratory illness. It will be especially important to quarantine the sick. 

7 minutes ago, gatour said:

When things start back up I wonder if Med cruises will be slower to respond.  I don't know the percentages of US passengers on Med cruises, but I am guessing it is a fair amount.  US citizens might be hestitent to take Med cruises.  Not so much because of flights in regards to catching it, if it is still around, but being "trapped" overseas because countries go back on lock down.

Actually, the crowd is largely European. If anything, I expect Europe to open first. 

18 minutes ago, gatour said:

The Europeans might ban people from North America, similar to the travel restrictions currently between Canada and the US.

• Like 1

I'm one of those Americans who are supposed to be on a Med cruise...9 day Greek Isles leaving Civi on August 30.  3 big questions:

1. Will this cruise even sail?

2. If #1 is yes, will Italy allow Americans to fly there and board the ship?

3. If #1 and #2 are both yes, do we even still want to go?

Final payment on the cruise is not until June 1 and I don't have a lot of other money tied up (airline is Delta miles), so I'll just wait until June and see how things unfold.

Edited by bobmacliberty
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm one of those Americans who are supposed to be on a Med cruise...9 day Greek Isles leaving Civi on August 30.  3 big questions:

1. Will this cruise even sail?

2. If #1 is yes, will Italy allow Americans to fly there and board the ship?

3. If #1 and #2 are both yes, do we even still want to go?

Final payment on the cruise is not until June 1 and I don't have a lot of other money tied up (airline is Delta miles), so I'll just wait until June and see how things unfold.

I hope it works out for you. (I am booked on a Med cruise Nov 1.) My opinion is that your cruise won’t happen; nor will mine. But at least we both have a few months to get our $ in And I would love to be wrong! Stay safe all