Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

55 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I did a mock booking for our date and it would not let book one night. it said no rooms available, however if I put in two night stay they had rooms available. Looks like about $300 a night. Thanks for your info.

We stay at the The Tremont House.  Great bar and walking to nice restaurants and shops.  We are not fans of the Galveston beach or seawall area.  Just not a very pretty beach IMO.  They also have a shuttle and will take you to the ship in the am.  Depending on how much luggage you have, you can also walk to the ship.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, NHProud said:

Happy 49 th Anniversary, Dani , and Happy Birthday to your lucky husband ! J

16 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Happy Anniversary Dani!  Sending prayers for your grandchild's surgery.  You can have a celebration later when everyone is healthy!

16 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Let me add my wishes for happy anniversary and happy birthday.  

15 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Happy Anniversary to you and your DH, Dani. May your future years be brighter than ever!

14 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Plus another well wisher!

12 hours ago, cruisingpeople said:

+1

12 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Dani, the happiest and healthiest of Anniversaries to you and your dear husband.  

And, a most wonderful Yom Huledet Samaech to your husband. 

Refuah Shlema to your grandson for a successful surgery and a swift recovery.

Glossary for those not fluent in Hebrew which I'm not.  Really!

Yom Huledet Sameach - Happy Birthday

Refuah Shlema - Swift and complete healing

11 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Happy Anniversary to you both.

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Anniversary wishes to Dani and her DH. Graham.

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Dani and your DH. Congratulations and Best Wishes for many more💐💕

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Congratulations to all who celebrated special events the last few days. 

Thank you ALL from the bottom of my heart, and from hubby's too 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I hope everyone impacted by the nor'easter is safe and with power.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO Lenny and Toby.

And @dani negreanuDani and your DH.

Congratulations and Best Wishes for many more💐💕

Thank you very much Debbie.I hope that the weather will be great for the second leg of your cruise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Dani, the happiest and healthiest of Anniversaries to you and your dear husband.  

And, a most wonderful Yom Huledet Samaech to your husband. 

Refuah Shlema to your grandson for a successful surgery and a swift recovery.

Glossary for those not fluent in Hebrew which I'm not.  Really!

Yom Huledet Sameach - Happy Birthday

Refuah Shlema - Swift and complete healing

Lenny, I hope you and Toby have a wonderful and healthy 55th wedding anniversary

Thank you very much,Bonnie.

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well, the wind and rain have arrived and the weatherman was not kidding. The only good part about this storm is that it isn't snowing. Quite the morning on the northeast coast.

We had very high wind along with heavy rain. The rain stopped but it is still very windy.There is a possibility of snow on Saturday.

Eeks! So it has been really warm in our cabin since we got on yesterday. We thought maybe because the curtain had been left open until we got here so we didn't complain. Thought it would cool down so we eventually went to bed. It got a little cooler over night, but when we got back to the room about 11:30 today it was 83° in here. Maintenance is here so we are hoping it gets fixed. 

Now for the eeks part. We keep the phone on the bottom shelf of the nightstand so we can use the top and middle. When I grabbed it to call maintenance I accidentally hit the 911 button (which I didn't know until they answered). Tried to hang up, but I couldn't do it fast enough so they answered. I told them it was an accident and that everything was ok. Being so hot in here and thinking maintenance would take a little while I wasn't dressed to impress or maybe it was not dressed at all. 🤪 

Someone knocked on the door so I yelled just a minute since Mike was in the bathroom. I could not get dressed fast enough and I was definitely trying. About 5 seconds later they knocked very hard this time and was saying something so I yelled again. Mike was then able to answer the door and it was security. I had my back to them trying to finish my last buttons. This might have not looked to good to them as if there was a problem. They asked 3 times if everything was ok all the while looking at me. I told them what happened and assured them all was fine. Hope they believed me. 

BTW, from the time I hung up the phone with 911, got undressed, laid down and about 20 seconds later security was at the door. They were very fast and we are towards the aft. Next time I will know where not to grab the phone. 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm not sure about a live. I was thinking of starting a thread and inviting anyone on the ship who wants to, to add their thoughts and contributions.

2 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

The recent Harmony “Weird” thread turned out like that.  It was interesting to read the different perspectives.  Not that yours alone wouldn’t be interesting LOL. 

I was thankful I listened to the advice of some here and didn’t start a live.  The Harmony thread turned out to be fun to participate in.  No feel of obligation to continually add but the option was there.  Several answering questions and when I ate food before taking a pic, I didn’t feel bad. 😂 when the negative posters wanted to ruin happiness you could ignore it.  
If you want, one of us here could start a thread title something like…. Allure - Take us along you adventure! Then the first post.  Those on Allure, please share the experience you are having.  That way you could add as much or little as you want.
OB, it’s great to hear you are leaning more towards going.  No matter what changes on board you experience, I am sure you will appreciate just getting out and away.  Great way to unwind. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Eeks! So it has been really warm in our cabin since we got on yesterday. We thought maybe because the curtain had been left open until we got here so we didn't complain. Thought it would cool down so we eventually went to bed. It got a little cooler over night, but when we got back to the room about 11:30 today it was 83° in here. Maintenance is here so we are hoping it gets fixed. 

Now for the eeks part. We keep the phone on the bottom shelf of the nightstand so we can use the top and middle. When I grabbed it to call maintenance I accidentally hit the 911 button (which I didn't know until they answered). Tried to hang up, but I couldn't do it fast enough so they answered. I told them it was an accident and that everything was ok. Being so hot in here and thinking maintenance would take a little while I wasn't dressed to impress or maybe it was not dressed at all. 🤪 

Someone knocked on the door so I yelled just a minute since Mike was in the bathroom. I could not get dressed fast enough and I was definitely trying. About 5 seconds later they knocked very hard this time and was saying something so I yelled again. Mike was then able to answer the door and it was security. I had my back to them trying to finish my last buttons. This might have not looked to good to them as if there was a problem. They asked 3 times if everything was ok all the while looking at me. I told them what happened and assured them all was fine. Hope they believed me. 

BTW, from the time I hung up the phone with 911, got undressed, laid down and about 20 seconds later security was at the door. They were very fast and we are towards the aft. Next time I will know where not to grab the phone. 😁

What is the show schedule for the week? For that matter, what is the itinerary?

I wonder if there is a balcony door open somewhere that is causing your AC issues?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Today’s the day!  Embarkation Day!  It is raining in Los Angeles right now.  Sounds like some people are stuck back east as there are many cancelled flights and will have to cancel their cruise.  I feel so bad for them.

Sunset last night in San Pedro.  Disclaimer:  I did not take this picture.  Someone on the Navigator FB page did.  Just thought I’d share it.

B3AA83FF-CA39-46FA-9446-283AD4EE2EAF.thumb.jpeg.4dadd4f7b2170bfd47611aeac6a6d0b8.jpeg

Thanks for sharing the pic.  That is a piece of art.  Love the reflections.

Have a safe and fun cruise!

@A&L_Ont

Glad to hear Owen was safe.

My DH left for work at 5:30 am for a 7 am start.

It usually takes him 30 min to get to work.

Today with all the snow took him 1 hour 20 min.

He drives a Colorado.

The one place he had trouble was at the hospital parking lot.  It was not plowed.

He did his "I am not going to let a little snow stop me attitude on the gas pedal to get out"

Go figure.

Hospital

Not plowed

WOW

Cars with out all wheel drive were still stuck blocking the road in for hours.

When he gets home he will use his tractor with snow blower to clear the driveway.

Good investment.

For me

Wifey duties today.

Making a good dinner of home made pasta, meatballs, (store bought sauce) Garlic bread Caesar salad.

To all in the wake of this storm

Be careful

Sea Ya

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I had security show up at my door after the steam from the shower caused the smoke detector to send a signal there was an issue in the cabin.  It didn't sound in the cabin but it showed up as a problem on the monitoring system.  I first received an automated call to evacuate the cabin if there was indeed a fire and that was followed very quickly by someone knocking so hard I thought he was going to knock the door down.  I had just gotten out of the shower and had wrapped a towel around me to answer the phone.  I had managed to get into a robe (not tied) as the security guy was pounding on the door.  I got a towel in front of me and looked out the door to the security guy just as he was about to come in.  He told me he had to come in and check the room, which he did and left quickly.

It is great that they take everything seriously and respond quickly, but it is stressful when it happens.  I am glad yours was a false alarm too.  I was on a girls cruise for my mother's 80th and sharing a cabin with my sister.  My sister was on the balcony during the whole thing and couldn't stop laughing once I told her the story.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

50 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I had security show up at my door after the steam from the shower caused the smoke detector to send a signal there was an issue in the cabin.  It didn't sound in the cabin but it showed up as a problem on the monitoring system.  I first received an automated call to evacuate the cabin if there was indeed a fire and that was followed very quickly by someone knocking so hard I thought he was going to knock the door down.  I had just gotten out of the shower and had wrapped a towel around me to answer the phone.  I had managed to get into a robe (not tied) as the security guy was pounding on the door.  I got a towel in front of me and looked out the door to the security guy just as he was about to come in.  He told me he had to come in and check the room, which he did and left quickly.

It is great that they take everything seriously and respond quickly, but it is stressful when it happens.  I am glad yours was a false alarm too.  I was on a girls cruise for my mother's 80th and sharing a cabin with my sister.  My sister was on the balcony during the whole thing and couldn't stop laughing once I told her the story.  

You two would be great cabin mates.😇

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Seems she considered them stuck at sea because they were going to have 4 sea days on their way back to NY.  The original itinerary is 3 days to return🧐!

Really being stuck at sea is no fun !  We were stuck at sea in the Caribbean for 3 hours : no A/C ,  no lights , and most importantly no flushing of toilets.   They did alternate which areas would get electricity like the kitchen . 

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I was about to come here and ask if anyone has restaurant recommendations for Savannah, so great timing!  We’re planning to spend 2 nights there as we make our way to Ft Lauderdale at the end of this month.  We’ve stopped for the night in Pooler and Richmond Hill many times but never made the time to visit Savannah.  
Happy to hear suggestions from anyone else too. 
We’re also looking (again) at a night on Amelia Island.  Bob. I’d love your ideas for restaurants there.  Nothing fancy, just a good meal with nice atmosphere.  TIA. 

Pearl's is a little bit away from the action in Savannah but worth it.

As for Amelia Island...lots of choices.  If you're only on the island one night, you'll probably want to do to the downtown Fernandina Beach area.  For restaurants, I'd recommend:

* Salty Pelican - Good food (mix of seafood and bar food), casual atmosphere, good sunset views at the right time of the year.  Popular so there might be a wait. The Salty Pelican - Seafood Bar and Grill - Fernandina Beach Amelia Island (thesaltypelicanamelia.com)

* Pepper's - Mexican food.  Right on the main drag with outdoor seating.  Welcome to Pepper's Mexican Cocina! (pepperscocina.com)

* Cafe Karibo - Interesting and varied menu.  I love their Coquille St Jaques.  Nice outdoor side patio seating.  The just opened a new duck pin bowling bar right next door that looks like fun.   https://www.cafekaribo.com/

* The Boat House - Mostly seafood but also sandwiches and steak.  Large outdoor patio that usually has live music.  https://boathousefernandina.com/

There are several other places that we really like downtown but are a little bit fancier, although casual dress is still fine: Espana (great Spanish food), Le Clos (great French food), Joe's 2nd Street Bistro (great American food).  Close to the downtown area is First Love Brewing.  Great if you like craft beer and pizza.

In the Main Beach area, we like The Sandbar.  Casual place that's literally right on the beach with seating inside, on a covered patio (our choice), or picnic tables in the sand.  We also like Salt Life just across the street from The Sandbar.  It's a local chain with good food, often live music, and an ocean view from the rooftop bar and eating area.

A little further south along the beach is Sliders.  Casual place on the beach with good food and a nice outdoor eating and tiki bar area.  They also often have live music playing.  Popular local place.  Slightly inland from Sliders is V Pizza...another local chain with great Neapolitan style wood fired pizza.  These two places are walkable if you're staying in one of the Sadler Road hotels.  

If you go to the southern half of the island, there are 3 great places that we go often, since all are less than 5 minutes from our house:

* Lagniappe (pronounced Lan-Yap) - Hard to describe so check out the menu.   https://www.lagniappeamelia.com/

* Cucina South - Best Italian food on the island.  Reservations highly recommended. A little bit fancier/more expensive.  http://cucinasouth.com/

* Bar Zin - Our current "go to" restaurant.  Great wine selection with tapas style food.  We like sitting at the bar (love Heather the bartender) and having a couple of glasses of wine while sharing a few plates.  I love their Mussel Frites.  Reminds me of Brussels.  Save room for their Beignets for dessert.   https://www.barzin-bistro-winebar.com/

If you'll be there for lunch, our favorites are the Beach Diner, Aloha Bagel and Deli (good chicken salad), 4th Street Deli (downtown with great sides), and Parkway Grille (southern part of the island).  All are very casual.

Hope this helps.  Happy to provide any additional info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Today’s the day!  Embarkation Day!  

Marty I hope you have a fantastic cruise. Cheers !

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Hopefully that will change as they get older.

Today was warmer and it was the 3rd day of snow. They were a little more adventurous and looked like they were getting used to it. Fun part is watching then run around as their legs are short. They kind of hop from one place to another. 

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

A lot of the hotels require a two night stay.  Sometimes if you call them and talk to them in person they will waive that requirement.  We always liked staying at the Harbour House.  It was many years ago so I don't know what it is like now.  It is next to the cruise port, Starbucks is across the street and there were several restaurants next door.  Several hotels on the gulf side offer shuttles to the port.  They also offer parking during the cruise if you drive.  

Good advise I will check them out.

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Now that you mention it,  many hotels in Galveston require a 2 night stay on weekends & other peak periods.  And being a tourists destination, there seems to be always something going on.  Last time I was there, the Lone Star Biker rally was in progress. Pretty lively!!

The Gulf Coast Cruise Port board has a ton of information and a dedicated following of posters that live in and around Galveston.  Plenty of "insider" info.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/316-gulf-coast-departures/

I looked a little bit in there but need to dive in deeper for information. Thank you.

2 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Thank you so much for everything!

@Sea DogWe stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn by the Hobby Airport for one night.  The hotel shuttle picks you up to the hotel from the airport.  This is what you can do to get to the cruise port.  You take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and from there take a shuttle to the cruise port.  Check out Galveston Limousine Company for a round trip fare to and from Hobby.  They provide shuttle service to the cruise port from Hobby Airport and back.  The Hilton Garden Inn shuttle driver said that is what people do to get to the port all the time.  It is very reasonable, too.

Thank you for the great information. I have marked it down in my notes. I think Linda is leaning towards staying in Galveston since she has never been there and would like to explore. I think we will be doing many cruises from Galveston in the future and will not drive every time so flying into Houston is a great option .

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

We stay at the The Tremont House.  Great bar and walking to nice restaurants and shops.  We are not fans of the Galveston beach or seawall area.  Just not a very pretty beach IMO.  They also have a shuttle and will take you to the ship in the am.  Depending on how much luggage you have, you can also walk to the ship.  

Thank you I have added this to my notes.

48 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

When I grabbed it to call maintenance I accidentally hit the 911 button They asked 3 times if everything was ok all the while looking at me. I told them what happened and assured them all was fine. Hope they believed me. 

Great story that you will be able to laugh at in the future but was unnerving at the time.

Hope you have a great time.

• Like 2