Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

7 hours ago, George C said:

We did the same thing like you , first time in this area we did Hilton but walked over to doubletree, after that we just booked doubletree . Where did you eat?

We went to Versailles a great Cuban restaurant and post dinner cocktails at Esotico.

7 hours ago, Coralc said:

We always stay at the Doubletree in Miami. Everything is pretty much right there, and you can take the free People Mover down to Bayside Marketplace for all their dining and entertainment. 

Thanks for all the input about luggage. I guess I was just surprised about how many photos are posted with hardside luggage. They seem kind of bulky to me, but I will look a little closer next time we are in the market. The Delsey's have held up very well. We replaced the Samsonite toiletries bag with a no-name bag from Ross before our last cruise. 

It’s not that the Hilton was bad, not at all it’s just boring there. Double Tree has so much more to offer. I saw the people mover and I need to try that to go to the Bayside Marketplace

We really like our hard shell suitcases from Samsonite. .

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My  two cents about bags.  It seems that the most likely place for damaged bags has been the cruise line handling.  

We originally had some Samsonite soft side bags, but found they would not only get crushed when they stacked those bags on the bottom, but if it is caught in the rain, things inside can get soaked. You don’t want to start your vacation with wet clothes.

We use hard shell luggage now. When looking at hard shell luggage, go with the polycarbonate bags. They are a little more expensive than the ABS plastic bags, but they don’t crack like the plastic ones.

Just open those hard shells, and they fit nicely under the bed in the cabin. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Fifty years ago today, the first episode of M*A*S*H was broadcast.  I have always been a fan, and still watch reruns at least once or twice a week.

There was some talk about “most watched”, but if you are talking strictly about the US audience, the Super Bowl holds that title.  Nine out of the top ten have been various Super Bowls, with the M*A*S*H finale in the remaking spot.

36557294-3E30-4FC2-B377-FF8DCB2698F5.thumb.jpeg.5d6b826a16f3af3daf2ecd2edc12d13b.jpeg

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Luckynana said:

My newest luggage is IT also, but mine is hard sided.  I love it, although I do miss being able to just pack everything in the one side.  I've always had soft luggage, but on one of our cruise trips where we went by bus with a group, it had begun to pour, and the bus driver put all the luggage on the walkway where Jim's and our friends clothes were soaked when they unpacked on the ship.  

I also would've said JFK's funeral was the most watched on television 

I put everything in  large ziplocks and then packing cubes. Helps compress and makes more room too. Learnt this after a luggage cart packed with suitcases took a dip in the Hudson on an NCL cruise. NCL gave free laundry for the entire cruise and a hefty compensation to the few whose suitcases were gone for good.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

@Jimbo I made your Pasta Fagioli soup.  It was a hit with both me and Jack.  I can see why you had to transfer double ingredients to a large pot.  I have quite a bit left over so glad I halved the recipe. Just made a salad to go with it and it was a perfect dinner for two not so terribly hungry people.

AND, hardly any clean-up using slow cooker liners.

Glad you enjoyed it, Like I said the full recipe makes ALOT.

10 hours ago, Coralc said:

We always stay at the Doubletree in Miami. Everything is pretty much right there, and you can take the free People Mover down to Bayside Marketplace for all their dining and entertainment. 

Thanks for all the input about luggage. I guess I was just surprised about how many photos are posted with hardside luggage. They seem kind of bulky to me, but I will look a little closer next time we are in the market. The Delsey's have held up very well. We replaced the Samsonite toiletries bag with a no-name bag from Ross before our last cruise. 

When cruising from Miami we always stay right at the Intercontinental Miami right on Biscayne Bay, it's a short walk .4 mile right along side the Bay  to Bayside Market Place. Beautiful views of the Bay from your room.

Bayside Market Place really has it all. Bars, Restaurants , Entertainment, Shopping, People watching.

https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/hotels/us/en/miami/miaha/hoteldetail?fromRedirect=true&qSrt=sBR&qIta=99618783&icdv=99618783&glat=META_hpa_paid_US_desktop_MIAHA_mapresults_1_USD_2022-09-27_default_17692958395__FALSE_TVUGIGCOR&qSlH=MIAHA&qRms=1&qAdlt=2&qChld=0&qCiD=27&qCiMy=082022&qCoD=28&qCoMy=082022&qrtPt=179.00&setPMCookies=true&qSlRc=TVUG&qRtP=IGCOR&qSHBrC=IC&qDest=100 Chopin Plaza, Miami, FL, US&cm_mmc=hpa_paid_US_desktop_MIAHA_mapresults_1_USD_2022-09-27_default_17692958395__FALSE_TVUGIGCOR&srb_u=1

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

We went to Versailles a great Cuban restaurant and post dinner cocktails at Esotico.

It’s not that the Hilton was bad, not at all it’s just boring there. Double Tree has so much more to offer. I saw the people mover and I need to try that to go to the Bayside Marketplace

We really like our hard shell suitcases from Samsonite. .

Doubletree also has balconies and it’s possible to get one with view of cruise port, Hilton doesn’t have balconies.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, brillohead said:

I always seem to open it "backwards"... one side is zipped closed on the inside and the other side has elastic straps, and I need to put a label on the zippered side that says "this side up" or something!

This is what Sharon has a problem with and we have been talking about marking one side.  We also have been considering downsizing.  Except for Alaska,  we seem to always have extra room. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, taznremmy said:

I have for the last time.  Two suitcases ruined with broken wheel casings (thank you airlines).  The wheel casing separated from the luggage. Back to soft side for me.

Oh no!  My new luggage hasn't met the airlines yet.  After a cruise several years ago, my biggest piece of soft side luggage had the wheels break in me.  Too much weight, or luggage was getting too old?  It had served me wella

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

I put everything in  large ziplocks and then packing cubes. Helps compress and makes more room too. Learnt this after a luggage cart packed with suitcases took a dip in the Hudson on an NCL cruise. NCL gave free laundry for the entire cruise and a hefty compensation to the few whose suitcases were gone for good.

Arzeena, I've been doing the same for years.i use the large ziplock bags..I put outfits together in them and just put in the drawers.  I also use some packing bags Great organization!  Jim, on the other hand..  ..

We pack our own bags.  I also make lists.. Jim, not so much.  Years ago, he didn't pack enough briefs.😐

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

This is what Sharon has a problem with and we have been talking about marking one side.  We also have been considering downsizing.  Except for Alaska,  we seem to always have extra room. 

Good idea on both counts, John!😉

• Like 1

Good info on hard-shell suit cases. I was under the impression that they cracked easily so I always wondered why people bought them. Of course, my impression is based on other peoples experiences from 30 years ago so glad to know they are more sturdier these days.  When I'm in the market for a new suit case, I'll definitely be on the look out for the poly-carbonate vs the plastic kind.

All my soft-sided  luggage has been Travel Pro (based on Consumer Report reviews), a Ricardo which I bought at Macy's on 80% clearance and hand-me down American Tourister, vintage unknown. With the exception of a broken zipper on one of the Travel Pros, they all seem indestructible.  The only "issue" is dirt as I buy any color other than black - usually blue or red - to easily spot on the luggage carousels but they show the dirt after one use.  Good thing I don't care how I look at the airport or when checking in to hotels. 😊

• Like 6

4 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Fifty years ago today, the first episode of M*A*S*H was broadcast.  I have always been a fan, and still watch reruns at least once or twice a week.

There was some talk about “most watched”, but if you are talking strictly about the US audience, the Super Bowl holds that title.  Nine out of the top ten have been various Super Bowls, with the M*A*S*H finale in the remaking spot.

36557294-3E30-4FC2-B377-FF8DCB2698F5.thumb.jpeg.5d6b826a16f3af3daf2ecd2edc12d13b.jpeg

I would have guessed the final episode of M*A*S*H or the "Who Shot JR" episode of Dallas as the most watched TV even in America.

I do take issue of the Super Bowl being most watched as 75%*  of the people "watching" just happen to be at a Super Bowl party/bar/etc with the TV on in the background. They may glance at the TV to catch a commercial making Super Bowl commercials the most watched TV event. No wonder advertisers pay top dollar for 30 seconds of TV time. 😁

* based solely on my experience of attending SB parties and I'm a proud member of the 75%. 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

57 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I would have guessed the final episode of M*A*S*H or the "Who Shot JR" episode of Dallas as the most watched TV even in America.

I do take issue of the Super Bowl being most watched as 75%*  of the people "watching" just happen to be at a Super Bowl party/bar/etc with the TV on in the background. They may glance at the TV to catch a commercial making Super Bowl commercials the most watched TV event. No wonder advertisers pay top dollar for 30 seconds of TV time. 😁

* based solely on my experience of attending SB parties and I'm a proud member of the 75%. 😄

I have a friend from HS who is an entertainment on line Journalist.I just contacted him and asked what TV show episode had the most viewers.

In his opinion it is Super Bowl XLIX.