Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

47 years ago tonight the SS Edmund Fitzgerald sank near WhiteFish Bay with her crew of 29. 

At approximately 7:10 p.m., when Arthur M. Anderson notified Edmund Fitzgerald of an upbound ship and asked how she was doing, McSorley reported, "We are holding our own." She was never heard from again. No distress signal was received, and ten minutes later, Arthur M. Anderson lost the ability either to reach Edmund Fitzgerald by radio or to detect her on radar.

She and her crew were immortalized in a folk classic song by Gordon Lightfoot, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

With tomorrow being Remembrance Day in Canada I want to thank all of the veterans here who have served, no matter their country.

I snapped this photo the other day of our local World War One Memorial, a hamlet of less than 300 people today.  The sun set a perfect shadow.  

Those that are gone are not forgotten and will always be honoured.

DF99260C-0AE9-4153-A769-B42AC8C54A12.thumb.jpeg.47c8b41dd8cf136612e1e9eaaedf418e.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 5

I do not want to engage in any Covid debate here, but I have recently read something about the immune system and the ability of it to keep a person healthy.

Alcohol consumption can negatively affect a person’s immune system and the ability to ward off illnesses created by viruses. 

Just a heads up as we head into cold and flu season.

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

47 years ago tonight the SS Edmund Fitzgerald sank near WhiteFish Bay with her crew of 29. 

At approximately 7:10 p.m., when Arthur M. Anderson notified Edmund Fitzgerald of an upbound ship and asked how she was doing, McSorley reported, "We are holding our own." She was never heard from again. No distress signal was received, and ten minutes later, Arthur M. Anderson lost the ability either to reach Edmund Fitzgerald by radio or to detect her on radar.

She and her crew were immortalized in a folk classic song by Gordon Lightfoot, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. 

Love that song saw him in Billy Bobs in Ft Worth many decades ago. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

I do not want to engage in any Covid debate here, but I have recently read something about the immune system and the ability of it to keep a person healthy.

Alcohol consumption can negatively affect a person’s immune system and the ability to ward off illnesses created by viruses. 

Just a heads up as we head into cold and flu season.

MJ🙋🏻

If that as true I would have definitely had Covid many times 😁😁😁😁😁

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

That was sad. I thought it was longer ago than that. I remember my mom talking about it. I was a young teen, but I am pretty sure that Harry Reasoner was in color by 1975. like many disasters with loss of life, it is important to reflect and remember. Locally, things like the Alaska Airlines crash off the coast and the San Bruno pipeline explosion are things that we remember watching as they happened. But no one made songs about them. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 3

And I apologize Andrew. I reread my post and wasn't being critical at all. I was surprised that it was "only" 47 years ago. And then it made me think about other disasters that were not as memorialized. I'm glad you posted about the Edmund Fitzgerald. ☺️

• Like 1

8 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Meanwhile, this was me 😀

147D8862-0957-445C-A682-41C99A137428.thumb.jpeg.f8973b539e74372a147a7b647d93285f.jpeg

Being kept company by the owners dog earlier in the morning 

5E3784E8-2849-4628-BC3D-7E19ADD5A98A.thumb.jpeg.4efbda8e2d8a5ed612ad5af67961c38c.jpeg

After dinner, daughter and I had our usual walk around the property seeing 30+ kangaroos, deer running through the bush & emus in the distance. Our favourite photo though.F2514EE8-F5D8-493F-9AEF-B26E44DDBDB0.thumb.jpeg.3a35859257b5ac1fc84cabc58781b552.jpeg

I love all your wonderful pictures.

Thank you for posting them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Gordon was a great Canadian troubadour. I do some of his songs. Unfortunately, time and aging have not been so kind to him.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Coralc said:

And I apologize Andrew. I reread my post and wasn't being critical at all. I was surprised that it was "only" 47 years ago. And then it made me think about other disasters that were not as memorialized. I'm glad you posted about the Edmund Fitzgerald. ☺️

No worries at all. Whomever made this video could have just transitioned to black and white. 

Remember about 20 years ago when NFL Sunday’s football clips looked to have aged 20 years overnight for the replays the next day. Thankfully that has improved. 

• Like 1

Has there been any talk of a Gangway on a NCL Encore collapsing? It  happened in Panama. Anyone have any more info on this? That had to be terrible, hope everyone gets well soon and it wasn't to serious.

Looks like the fall was from deck 6  down to the ground.

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2022/11/articles/passenger-rights/norwegian-encore-gangway-collapse/

NCL Gangway

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning 

@A&L_Ont  Your posting of the tribute made me think so If I may in the states..........

I would like to pay Tribute to all the Veterans who not only fought and gave their lives for our country, but for all the men/women in the  military who carry the patriotism in their heart for representing our country in any way shape or form, on  a daily basis.

Having lost one Aunt and a Father-in-law in separate plane crashes it hits close to home.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.

On a separate note today is a busy day for us

So neither rain (thank you Nicole), wind, dark of night or upcoming snow will hinder us from a 4 1/2 hour drive to Oxford Ohio to visit this weekend with the 34 week pregnant DD and SIL.

They were blessed with many generous gifts to make their baby to be well stock with clothes to diapers to  strollers to crib..........

But we will complete what she did not get.

One very important item is ....................are you ready.  They did not get one "Binky" (Pacifier) among a few minor items.

So a Target run and then shopping for anything else on her list. 

So we are packed and ready to hit the road of course  stopping for one of our favorite breakfast places.

Be safe

Also today was one of the few days I can log on to CC without too much difficulty

• Like 14

Happy Veterans Day and a heartfelt thank you to all who serve. 
I may have posted this before, but here’s my favorite veteran, my Dad, in the back of a helicopter somewhere over Vietnam in 1967.  For some reason it’s my favorite picture of him, looking so young and handsome.  I think it’s also because he was a career military man through & through so this photo really captures him in his element.  I miss him.  

C20C776F-2909-4108-AA94-A2527B7CC383.thumb.jpeg.bcedda90f9a872677947493f0ff8e5ae.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8

18 hours ago, akcruz said:

Hugs, never easy but seems more difficult around the holidays.

My father in law passed on Thanksgiving day almost 20 years ago, the holiday has not been the same since.  On the up side my grandson was born on the 15th anniversary of his passing.  Grandson's middle name is my FILs.

I've mentioned his before in here.  My father passed away a day before Thanksgiving.  Since then, when we gather around the Thanksgiving table, and, tell poignant, oftentimes funny stories of dad.  My mom passed away during our holiday of Passover.  We do the same around the Passover sedar (holiday meal with prayers).  Wonderful stories of mom.  Light and funny. The first year, always the hardest.  I miss them deeply.

Thank you to all veterans for their service and to the families whose loved ones paid the ultimate price for our freedom.

And,,,,,,,,eye is doing great!!  No pain and I can see.  Yay.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Has there been any talk of a Gangway on a NCL Encore collapsing? It  happened in Panama. Anyone have any more info on this? That had to be terrible, hope everyone gets well soon and it wasn't to serious.

Here's a thread on it:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2892794-encore-gangway-collapse-in-panama/

• Thanks 1

I was hoping Linda wouldn’t get it but she started coughing yesterday. She took a test yesterday and it was negative. Last night I heard her coughing some more. She took the test and now she is positive. Looks like we will hunker down in the house for the next few days. I’m starting to feel a little better. In some way I’m glad this happened now instead of during the holidays.

• Like 18