Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

We are supposed to board Adventure in 10 days. Andrew came back with some sort of crud after spending a weekend at camp with the church youth. Headache, fever, gastric issues (now resolved), slight cough. Urgent care tests for both Covid and flu were negative. I think there's a good chance he will be fine in 10 days (even Covid only had him down for a couple of days earlier this year), the problem will be if Brian or I get it a few days from now. We don't bounce back as quickly.

I'm having flashbacks from the last time we planned a Thanksgiving cruise in 2018 and Andrew ended up with pneumonia the week before. We were ultimately able to go, but it was super-stressful worrying about him as well as what we should do about the cruise.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, mo&fran said:

Guess what we got today. had to try a bite first.

IMG_0129.thumb.JPG.57a9ece888743937697ca0039793e141.JPG

Congratulations on that great milestone. Or should i say nauticalstone?

21 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Just a quick request. 

If anyone has any extra prayers or kind thoughts can you send them my way.  Just having  some stressors added to my life this week. 

Thankfully daughter is fine at 35 weeks. 

Stay safe. 

I will be thinking of you.

Just now, TravelGirlinDallas said:

We are supposed to board Adventure in 10 days. Andrew came back with some sort of crud after spending a weekend at camp with the church youth. Headache, fever, gastric issues (now resolved), slight cough. Urgent care tests for both Covid and flu were negative. I think there's a good chance he will be fine in 10 days (even Covid only had him down for a couple of days earlier this year), the problem will be if Brian or I get it a few days from now. We don't bounce back as quickly.

I'm having flashbacks from the last time we planned a Thanksgiving cruise in 2018 and Andrew ended up with pneumonia the week before. We were ultimately able to go, but it was super-stressful worrying about him as well as what we should do about the cruise.

Fingers crossed you all will be ok and feel great to cruise.

• Like 3

@Sea Dog & @bobmacliberty,  I need advise. I am not traditionally Bourbon drinker I'm usually a vodka drinker but I greatly appreciated your getting me started on those Buffalo Trace Old fashioned.  I actually credited @Sea Dog during my live review but going through my "live" on Ovation I realize it was @bobmacliberty who originally suggested it.  Belated props to Bob.  I know both of you experts in the field of Whiskey/Bourbon/Scotch so would like your help.  I'm not even sure I can distinguish what the difference is between the three. I will be on Norwegians Pride of America and will have the drink package. What would recommend that I experiment with to get a feel for the genre.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Just a quick request. 

If anyone has any extra prayers or kind thoughts can you send them my way.  Just having  some stressors added to my life this week. 

Thankfully daughter is fine at 35 weeks. 

Stay safe. 

Absolutely, Sue!🙏    My daughter introduced me to a Saint for Anxieties..St. Dimpthna.  She's my "go to" when anxieties rear their ugly head.  Just sayin...

I hope everything works out for you!

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Hopefully all will be well and good to go!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

@Sea Dog & @bobmacliberty,  I need advise. I am not traditionally Bourbon drinker I'm usually a vodka drinker but I greatly appreciated your getting me started on those Buffalo Trace Old fashioned.  I actually credited @Sea Dog during my live review but going through my "live" on Ovation I realize it was @bobmacliberty who originally suggested it.  Belated props to Bob.  I know both of you experts in the field of Whiskey/Bourbon/Scotch so would like your help.  I'm not even sure I can distinguish what the difference is between the three. I will be on Norwegians Pride of America and will have the drink package. What would recommend that I experiment with to get a feel for the genre.

When I was watching Yellowstone last night I heard someone mention Buffalo Trace.... and I knew what they were talking about.😊

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Thanks Dave. I do think it was Bob who initially suggested it. I am no expert by any means but I am learning. Basically the difference is this. All bourbon is whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon. In order to be classified as bourbon it has to made with these rules.

It must be made in the United States. ...

Aging must take place in a new, charred, oak barrel. ...

The mash must be at least 51 percent corn. ...but can have other grains added such as rye or barley.

The whiskey cannot enter the barrel at higher than 125 proof. ...

Nothing can be added but water and only to lessen the proof when necessary.

So Whiskey can have other percentages such barley, rye, wheat.

I like the wheated bourbons since they tend to be sweeter. The same can go with rye. I love the the sweetness. The higher the proof the more burn you will taste.

Scotch Whiskey is just that. Whiskey that's made in Scotland. It may have peat in it. Peated whisky is given a smoky flavour by compounds which are released by the peat fires used to dry malted barley.

Irish Whiskey is just that. Whiskey that is made in Ireland. There are four types of Irish Whiskey.  Single Malt Irish Whiskey (both peated and unpeated), Single Grain Irish Whiskey, Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey and Blended Irish Whiskey.

Since I don't know what Norwegian has brand wise. I would say since you have the drink package. Try everything. When I do tastings I ask to try neat at first. without ice, then drop an ice cube in it as you taste it to let the water open it up. Most of the time I always get whiskey and bourbon on the rocks.

As far as drinks the classic Old Fashioned is a must but try it with different bourbons. I don't think I have ever had an old fashioned with scotch or Irish whiskey. Next try a Manhattan which is normally made with Rye Whiskey.Most people who like Scotch and Irish Whiskey drink it on the rocks but you could ask the bartender if there are any cocktails made with them.

Bourbon and Whiskey is an acquired taste so it may take a few drinks to train your palette. In the end I think you will really like it. If I can answer any more questions please ask. have fun exploring. Cheers!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks Dave. I do think it was Bob who initially suggested it. I am no expert by any means but I am learning. Basically the difference is this. All bourbon is whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon. In order to be classified as bourbon it has to made with these rules.

The mash must be at least 51 percent corn. ...but can have other grains added such as rye or barley.

I like the wheated bourbons since they tend to be sweeter. The same can go with rye. I love the the sweetness. The higher the proof the more burn you will taste.

Scotch Whiskey is just that. Whiskey that's made in Scotland. It may have peat in it. Peated whisky is given a smoky flavour by compounds which are released by the peat fires used to dry malted barley.

Irish Whiskey is just that. Whiskey that is made in Ireland. There are four types of Irish Whiskey.  Single Malt Irish Whiskey (both peated and unpeated), Single Grain Irish Whiskey, Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey and Blended Irish Whiskey.

Since I don't know what Norwegian has brand wise. I would say since you have the drink package. Try everything. When I do tastings I ask to try neat at first. without ice, then drop an ice cube in it as you taste it to let the water open it up. Most of the time I always get whiskey and bourbon on the rocks.

As far as drinks the classic Old Fashioned is a must but try it with different bourbons. I don't think I have ever had an old fashioned with scotch or Irish whiskey. Next try a Manhattan which is normally made with Rye Whiskey.Most people who like Scotch and Irish Whiskey drink it on the rocks but you could ask the bartender if there are any cocktails made with them.

Bourbon and Whiskey is an acquired taste so it may take a few drinks to train your palette. In the end I think you will really like it. If I can answer any more questions please ask. have fun exploring. Cheers!

Great info , drink package is great to try things for the first time , the only scotch I ever tried not from Scotland is Japanese I assume that was from Japan. I have only seen that on MSc I believe.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Wow! that's a lot to take in.  I need to do more reading.  I really liked that Old Fashioned I went back to it over and over again on Ovation.  So if I understand you correctly Bourbon is Whiskey but Whiskey isn't necessarily Bourbon.  Would that then mean that Bourbon is better than Whiskey and that I should avoid American Whiskey not considered Bourbon?  I'm going to do my best to experiment.  I had a friend years ago that wouldn't drink anything but Bushmills Irish Whiskey.  You mentioned Irish Whiskey but made no comment.  Also, what is the difference between single malt and blended.

• Like 1

@mets07Wonderful news! Congratulations on the birth of your newest grandchild.

@LionesssSue I know you have a multitude of good thoughts and prayers, including mine, going your way for things to work out for you.  Let the de-stress begin!

@h20skibumContinued prayers for your daughter and granddaughter.

@TravelGirlinDallasHoping the 3 of you stay healthy for your Thanksgiving cruise.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I know I have been missing here for about a week, and I am about 40 pages behind.  Sometimes, life just gets in the way.  

This week is shaping up to be much the same, with just a new set of problems.  We are just talking them a day at a time. This morning, I am at the hospital with my daughter, and my granddaughter is in another hospital about 90 miles away. 

So I would rather talk about good stuff.  This weekend, we put up our Christmas tree.  One of the things I like, are some of the special ornaments.  We have had several pieces of the grandkid’s artwork made into Christmas ornaments. 

Granddaughter painted this one on a mini canvas, when she was 4. 

1285BCD8-4F4F-4652-8780-E872112646E5.thumb.jpeg.44d3d026727635f157801e4b655e8d8c.jpeg

Her brother painted a similar one, and he would have been 7 at the time. 

21E24A08-1CB9-4315-A771-C9A0A77A2E76.thumb.jpeg.c5ab5ddd41382724d6d1c48b761bc2f4.jpeg

A few of the others they did since then, had rather abstract forms.  

92320D3A-28F7-4411-8CC3-399C2F79F794.thumb.jpeg.28ba4a033f2d502b1f988f2a74389243.jpeg

3E1FFAD4-F312-493F-927F-0D61C88DEEB8.thumb.jpeg.8c7d4a6ae82b5997fcadee257dde11e1.jpeg

Even my grandson in California had his unique self portrait one.  I don’t think anyone will recognize him from it though. 

BE9B45B1-C06B-4B73-B385-03292E0C6996.thumb.jpeg.035980a84198c0b4e3508081c819625a.jpeg

And, lastly, although not an ornament, this elf is something I cut from scrap wood, when my kids were little.  They took turns painting each section, and they always still look for the elf climbing the tree.  

0111CA2C-50BD-4385-99AF-DEC6858D18CD.thumb.jpeg.7d0c80dde296c3ed9617a2cf0c7cc4de.jpeg

I know I have probably missed a lot here, but I hope all of you are well. 

I admire your ability to keep things normal, like decorating for the holidays, in the face of what’s going on.  Healing prayers for your daughter and granddaughter.  

• Like 8

9 hours ago, mets07 said:

I am blessed to have some happy news. 👼 Six days ago our fourth grandchild was born. I can't do names or pics, but this healthy baby is a girl and joins our grandson and other two granddaughters. 

Their ages are 5y, 3y, 1y, and almost one week 😉.

This was the first child for our younger son. 

Best wishes to all of you.

Congratulations! There’s nothing quite like a new grand baby. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Absolutely, Sue!🙏    My daughter introduced me to a Saint for Anxieties..St. Dimpthna.  She's my "go to" when anxieties rear their ugly head.  Just sayin...

I hope everything works out for you!

St Dymphna.....I am a believer too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

When I was watching Yellowstone last night I heard someone mention Buffalo Trace.... and I knew what they were talking about.😊

If you really get into Yellowstone, you have to also watch “1883”. It’ a mini-series prequel to the Yellowstone story and it’s excellent. 

Edited by Momof3gurlz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

If you really get into Yellowstone, you have to also watch “1883”. It’s which a mini-series prequel to the Yellowstone story and it’s excellent. 

We had watched "1883" prior to our watching Yellowstone last year.  

On December 18th, another prequel called "Yellowstone 1932" will be aired.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Maybe this isnt appropriate but if you ever suspect you got sick from something your ate, like salad. Take the time to see your doctor and get antibiotics. The bacteria stay in your gut.

When I got sick I assumed was just me. I was b2b and didnt get back online until I think the following thursday night for my 2 free wifi days. People complain how dead roll calls are. I imagine seeing over 50 mostly all women post they got sick with diarrhea sat the prior week. I've never seen that many posting about something on any roll call. Men may have gotten sick but didnt post. Embarrassing subject. 

My first reaction  was I should let the ship know. Lol. Wound up at customer service with some dining mgr yelling, yes yelling at me and threatening me if I went to report it to medical. He said we must all have gotten the bug in cozumel and if it was food related they couldnt said so it wasnt possible we got it on the ship. If i went to medical I'd have medical charges, and probably be isolated to my cabin since no way of knowing what i had. He shouted.

Quite a few called rcl and tried to report it and also meet with indifference and worse. If it's not covid we dont care, we dont track other things. 

I stopped in Galveston asap when i disembarked and picked up imodium AD, but next time I'll visit my doctor sooner. Get some antibiotics sooner before i get really sick. Havent touched a salad since. Still scared. I know I gotta get over it, but I was sure sick. I have aarp medicare, so it's free to see my gp and lab work is done there at no cost. I really should have seen my doctor. Next time. Just saying see a doctor if you think you got sick from food... cant hurt and might save you from getting worse. 

I cant prove there were that many posting they all got sick same night, my roll call was another site, but easily 50 to 70. I think lunch in WJ last sea day. But who knows. Always going to be those who think couldnt have been rcl food. Just one more thing I only got off that week first port and ate and drank nothing in the port. It was beastly hot and just got back onboard and looked for a bar with a cold drink in ac. Didnt get off at all next 2 ports for those who think I might have picked it up in a port. 

We will see if I try a spinach salad on allure. My brain says no, but I need to get over it. It's my go to lunch when I cruise.  

Very sorry to hear you were sick with ecoli and treated poorly by the mgr onboard.    I'm really surprised they were not helpful.   

How long did it take for symptoms to appear?   I hope I never get it to find out.

I would definitely rethink salads for awhile.

I hope your Mom is feeling better and able to get back on her feet soon.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I know I have been missing here for about a week, and I am about 40 pages behind.  Sometimes, life just gets in the way.  

This week is shaping up to be much the same, with just a new set of problems.  We are just talking them a day at a time. This morning, I am at the hospital with my daughter, and my granddaughter is in another hospital about 90 miles away. 

So I would rather talk about good stuff.  This weekend, we put up our Christmas tree.  One of the things I like, are some of the special ornaments.  We have had several pieces of the grandkid’s artwork made into Christmas ornaments. 

Granddaughter painted this one on a mini canvas, when she was 4. 

1285BCD8-4F4F-4652-8780-E872112646E5.thumb.jpeg.44d3d026727635f157801e4b655e8d8c.jpeg

Her brother painted a similar one, and he would have been 7 at the time. 

21E24A08-1CB9-4315-A771-C9A0A77A2E76.thumb.jpeg.c5ab5ddd41382724d6d1c48b761bc2f4.jpeg

A few of the others they did since then, had rather abstract forms.  

92320D3A-28F7-4411-8CC3-399C2F79F794.thumb.jpeg.28ba4a033f2d502b1f988f2a74389243.jpeg

3E1FFAD4-F312-493F-927F-0D61C88DEEB8.thumb.jpeg.8c7d4a6ae82b5997fcadee257dde11e1.jpeg

Even my grandson in California had his unique self portrait one.  I don’t think anyone will recognize him from it though. 

BE9B45B1-C06B-4B73-B385-03292E0C6996.thumb.jpeg.035980a84198c0b4e3508081c819625a.jpeg

And, lastly, although not an ornament, this elf is something I cut from scrap wood, when my kids were little.  They took turns painting each section, and they always still look for the elf climbing the tree.  

0111CA2C-50BD-4385-99AF-DEC6858D18CD.thumb.jpeg.7d0c80dde296c3ed9617a2cf0c7cc4de.jpeg

I know I have probably missed a lot here, but I hope all of you are well. 

All of the decorations are beautiful.   Your family is in our prayers.  Stay strong and hopefully everyone will be well Soon.  🙏

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

If you really get into Yellowstone, you have to also watch “1883”. It’ a mini-series prequel to the Yellowstone story and it’s excellent. 

I lost interest in Yellowstone after a few episodes, but 1883 was one of my favorite mini series. 

3 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

I hope Andrew feels better soon and that you and Hubby remain healthy.

Is the cruise with the beautiful aft balcony?   

You will have a gorgeous cruise.😀

• Like 1