Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

5 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I am several days, and several pages behind, but I hope to catch up today.  I want to thank everyone who was praying for my daughter’s surgery.  According to the surgeons, her surgery went well, but they did not commit too much beyond that.

The surgery was very long.  They took her in for prep at 11:30 am on Wednesday, and it was after 9 pm before she got out of observation.  Now we wait for results from biopsies, to see if there is more chemo ahead.  Hopefully we will know more after appointments over the next couple weeks.

Meanwhile, Susan and I have been there to take care of getting the kids to school and picked up after school, as well as taking care of her and doing things around the house.  She isn’t allowed to do much of anything for at least a couple weeks.

And, on another note, DIL is feeling better after her bout with.Covid, but now my son has it, and his symptoms are worse than hers were. 

Sending our prayers 🙏 for good news for your dear daughter.

Good wishes for a quick recovery for your son.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Sometimes they will tell you that you can't have that one day if you have the plan.  You just have to go to the voom desk and tell them you want to use your free day to use two devices at once, and they will give it to you.

Thanks.  I just edited the original post.  I forgot we offered the free days to a new cruising couple (our cruise friends sister).  Last October we let a solo cruiser friend use our 2 days and our friends 2 days which gave him 4 days and worked great for him.  We had the voom desk help us. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@h20skibum that was long surgery for your daughter.  

Sending my continued prayers for successful  report from the surgeons.  

Sorry your son is having a bad bout of Covid. Hope he recovers soon.

+ 1  @h20skibum

10 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

So sorry Mark.  As I say, it never ends.  Stay strong, glad he is mild🤞

+ 1  @h20skibum

@grapau27  Graham, so glad your Sarah is improving 🌷

@DaniDanielle    Marietta, so glad Charlie is cranky 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, HBE4 said:

It's actually snowing here right now. The crocus and daffodils that started popping up 4-6 weeks early are not happy.

Oh I remember it well.  It's why I loved Spring so much after all those harsh Winters.  Besides pizza and bagels, it's the one thing I miss most.  I knew Spring arrived when my azalea bushes started to bud. 

Those crocus and daffodils will be happy soon.

11 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

And now my grandson tested positive today, so they all have it  Glad his is mild so far.

Oh no!  I hope his symptoms stay mild as well as the rest of the family.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I am several days, and several pages behind, but I hope to catch up today.  I want to thank everyone who was praying for my daughter’s surgery.  According to the surgeons, her surgery went well, but they did not commit too much beyond that.

The surgery was very long.  They took her in for prep at 11:30 am on Wednesday, and it was after 9 pm before she got out of observation.  Now we wait for results from biopsies, to see if there is more chemo ahead.  Hopefully we will know more after appointments over the next couple weeks.

Meanwhile, Susan and I have been there to take care of getting the kids to school and picked up after school, as well as taking care of her and doing things around the house.  She isn’t allowed to do much of anything for at least a couple weeks.

And, on another note, DIL is feeling better after her bout with.Covid, but now my son has it, and his symptoms are worse than hers were. 

Thinking of you and your family and hoping for good things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Now, for something related to family history.  I know this must be true, because I read it on the internet.

I remarked to Susan the other day, that I rarely saw any blue-eyed people on any of the commercials we were watching.  As a blue-eyed individual, I thought I would search to find out why that was, because I was feeling underrepresented. 

Well, one thing led to another, and I came across a study by the University of Copenhagen that says that everyone on the planet, with blue eyes, has one common ancestor.  Something about a switch at a particular location in DNA that results in the blue eye color.  Supposedly, that is not the case with other eye colors.  

So I guess that means I am related to Frank Sinatra and Paul Newman.  I guess that also means, if any of you have blue eyes, we are long lost cousins, however many times removed.

I had read that study some time ago and all I have to say to you is... welcome to the family.🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

@h20skibum

👋 Cousin Mark 😉

Just wanted to let you know that I will continue to keep your daughter and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully, your daughter’s biopsy reports will be favorable, and your grandson’s Covid symptoms will remain mild and your son’s symptoms will improve quickly.

I also want to second @BonTexasNYBonnie’s comment:

“You and Susan are amazing parents and grandparents”!!!

Take care 🙏,

Your blue-eyed cousin Sue 😉 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Now, for something related to family history.  I know this must be true, because I read it on the internet.

I remarked to Susan the other day, that I rarely saw any blue-eyed people on any of the commercials we were watching.  As a blue-eyed individual, I thought I would search to find out why that was, because I was feeling underrepresented. 

Well, one thing led to another, and I came across a study by the University of Copenhagen that says that everyone on the planet, with blue eyes, has one common ancestor.  Something about a switch at a particular location in DNA that results in the blue eye color.  Supposedly, that is not the case with other eye colors.  

So I guess that means I am related to Frank Sinatra and Paul Newman.  I guess that also means, if any of you have blue eyes, we are long lost cousins, however many times removed.

Oh no, both Eric and I have blue eyes.  I hope I'm not married to my cousin🤣

• Haha 14

4 hours ago, h20skibum said:

You are more apt to be related to me than Sinatra or Newman.  Fairly certain that is not a good thing. 

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Oh no, both Eric and I have blue eyes.  I hope I'm not married to my cousin🤣

Hahah 🤣 same here!! My DH and I both have blue eyes along with our children and everyone in his family and my family going way back! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I had no idea that I'd find so many relatives on this thread.

And have you ever heard the saying: People born and raised in Rhode Island have only 3 degrees of separation versus the usual 6??  🤣 

• Haha 8

I mentioned previously that dinner last night was at Fang. For those who don’t know, there’s a Food Network show called Chef Dynasty: House of Fang. Peter Fang has a famous restaurant here called House of Nanking. He opened it in 1988 and it’s extremely successful. He started a second restaurant with his daughter Kathy called Fang. The TV show is a sort of reality show about the father and daughter running a restaurant together. Although the show has too much forced drama for my liking, Kathy Fang has real chef chops and her father is a proven chef, so we thought we’d try it. 

We weren’t disappointed. Peter Fang himself greeted us right after we’d been seated, delivered food at one point, and even took the check for the table next to us. He’s apparently known for this. At his HONK, he’s famous for bringing food to your table before you even order. He’d rather bring what he thinks you will like. Last night, he first asked if we had any food issues. Micheline is sensitive to a few things, so he let us order. 😀

We started with pan fried shrimp wontons and a side order of garlic broccoli. 
A8E479A0-D77E-4056-928B-5114BF45D2D7.thumb.jpeg.09e18c8d824c32a546e027155d44c7ed.jpeg

Before we could even dig in, an order of Sizhuan shrimp and broccoli appeared

8E970EE9-3B36-4445-92E6-C8E17D7746F1.thumb.jpeg.e6743d68a6d82d67005249345e41f303.jpeg

Followed almost immediately by a plate of sesame chicken and sweet potato. 
BC252A71-7BF3-4428-BDB7-759B7C276189.thumb.jpeg.0031585773e5ab8992c6532bc5cf2f17.jpeg

Everything was great. Lunch today was at Ciopinno’s in the Fisherman’s wharf area. Also very good.  

We’ve had cold and sometimes wet weather on this trip, but the food has been outstanding. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

We went out to our local steak house for dinner late this afternoon, which is attached to a large mall.  When we were at the sports store first, getting his states sharpened and a new mouth guard and case for Owen.  That’s for rugby tryouts which are starting next week. When we were there out of the blue the fire alarm went off. Never experienced it before, and the mall has existed for 30 years. After about 20 minutes out in the sunny and cold weather we got back in, once the fire department cleared the mall. 

We then headed to the Keg. We joked with them that the excitement was now over and they said it happens around 5 times a year on average. 

Dinner was as follows. 

Caesar Salads for Lisa and Owen.

9745F0E8-9803-4AF6-B9B0-FE1D81AF3353.thumb.jpeg.3816dc3d6c4a0e07e509e6ccc6d6f038.jpeg

Crab cake for me. 

B7AC7DF6-EF64-46F8-BEC9-DA66FA015DAF.thumb.jpeg.2a3e3bccad1cac604c5832d5629476b5.jpeg

Strip loin for Owen. 

169C3D6D-C052-4CCD-B06D-46763A047C7D.thumb.jpeg.a5e8f4bdfe8090ca863efbe2911d9cda.jpeg

Lisa and I each had the 20oz rib steak. I had mashed and Lisa had twice baked potatoes. Never mind the seasonal beets that I was sliding to the side. 

E7C03DC5-9B27-4C78-BF33-7DF0F9A11EE4.thumb.jpeg.ae8a3dffd44d71dba086f7bf17d9c91e.jpeg

There was also an order of battered cauliflower.

746AD991-268C-4014-B21E-D7C0B3E004C0.thumb.jpeg.c7fa4f2774920a1116e156a025c82bf4.jpeg

• Like 18

We were halfway though our dinner and guess what. RING, RING, RING.

Round 2.

One truck came to each main mall entrance. Must have been 5 or 6 there. 

68380361-8F0A-48C0-8A16-0B3741ECC95E.thumb.jpeg.1644c3e6ca98e62d14759de140d4f26c.jpeg

I will say Owen took notice of how the university aged waitresses fawned over the firefighters as they drove up.  He posed out loud, that he might like that as a profession over police officer or sports broadcaster/cameraman.  Sorry @Sea Dog 

He’s still not buying airline pilot or cruise ship captain.

Never knew fire trucks could say what one might think.

BEB501C7-B5BE-453D-9E26-68046A699B35.thumb.jpeg.0b04f072e7725ffe4f49d43b6400c908.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 13

I forgot to mention that lunch yesterday was at a water front restaurant in Sausalito called the Barrel House. Also great food but the interesting thing was checking out the top shelf of the bar on the way out. Don’t think I’ve seen a lineup like this in one place.  See anything you like Greg?  
6E754247-EB50-4934-9F79-CF25C6219EFC.thumb.jpeg.29f8ec9954e194a6099bb542c1e03b3e.jpeg

The Pappy was $187 a pour.  That’s more than an entire bottle of overpriced wine!

• Like 9