Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Did you know that in 1898 a novel was written about an ocean liner that hit an iceberg and sunk .The name of the ship was the Tttan. 
I did not know that . An Internet Journalist friend of mine told me this today.

I had no idea.

2 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

@Sea DogI will be interested to read about the bone marrow treatment proposed for your knee.

My hubby has arthritic knees with bone on bone as he played football in HS and college.

He has consulted with a few orthopedic surgeons, one being a doctor that cares for NYJets players.

All agree that he is not a candidate for surgery as he does not have pain and continues to be able to comfortably walk. He walks everyday for 40 minutes.

A suggestion of all the doctors was that he loose weight . About a year and a half ago, he began to follow a healthy eating plan and lost fifty + pounds which he maintains.

He does not want surgery!

Any alternative therapy would be interesting for him to learn about should he someday be a surgery candidate.

As to MRIs, I agree they are not a pleasant experience. I had one this past April to diagnose a spinal issue.

Luckily, my head was out of the tube.

The tech asked what kind of music I wanted to listen to during the test.

I requested Motown. Not sure what music he plugged into the headphones, but it was nothing I recognized- more like No town!  I was so very glad when the test was over!

Hoping you get some good answers.

Wishing all here a good evening!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

Thank you MJ. I think he should try and avoid surgery for as long as possible. My Sports Orthopedic Doctor brother is a huge anti surgical advocate. So much so that his first job was working for an orthopedic surgeons group. He was their primary doctor who saw patients before surgery. Because of his ground breaking discovery of using Ultrasound to diagnose injuries he was able to treat and have patients have a full recovery without surgery. This prompted the surgeons to fire him as he was taking money away from them. That’s why he opened his own practice and see’s patients who fly from all over the country to see him including several pro athletes (who he won’t name) and he speaks at conferences around the world. He has had the bone marrow transplant on both his knees and goes on two hour hikes all the time in the mountains and is a big time cross country skier. So after this long paragraph I recommend he continue what he is doing. 

I can handle a MRI without my head being in the tube. I just can’t handle being totally in there.

Cheers!

• Like 9

Doctors visit revealed that I have swelling of the bone and a bakers cyst behind the knee. My options are Bone Marrow Transplant or total knee replacement. I’m going with the bone marrow treatment. Now just have to schedule it.

• Like 21

5 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Reading,reading reading all the posts here as DH and I recover. Slow go, but getting there. I would like to have more strength, but friends who have had Covid assure me that it takes awhile to feel 100%.
Wishing all here happy days especially those who are/were celebrating milestone days.

@Ozark_Kid John-I have read about the kindness coming your way recently. I can only think that the kindness you have shown others has found it way back to you and DW Sharon.

@Momof3gurlz I hope that things are going well for you and your hubby since the “kids” have moved in with you while their house is under renovation. The work they have planned seems to be ambitious and time consuming.

Easy to say, but try to go with the flow for now. Your house will return to its’ former  self once they are back in their “new” home.’

@lenquixote66I read your poem and found it had an ethereal quality. I hope you continue to create poetry if it makes you feel happy.

@Sea DogI will be interested to read about the bone marrow treatment proposed for your knee.

My hubby has arthritic knees with bone on bone as he played football in HS and college.

He has consulted with a few orthopedic surgeons, one being a doctor that cares for NYJets players.

All agree that he is not a candidate for surgery as he does not have pain and continues to be able to comfortably walk. He walks everyday for 40 minutes.

A suggestion of all the doctors was that he loose weight . About a year and a half ago, he began to follow a healthy eating plan and lost fifty + pounds which he maintains.

He does not want surgery!

Any alternative therapy would be interesting for him to learn about should he someday be a surgery candidate.

As to MRIs, I agree they are not a pleasant experience. I had one this past April to diagnose a spinal issue.

Luckily, my head was out of the tube.

The tech asked what kind of music I wanted to listen to during the test.

I requested Motown. Not sure what music he plugged into the headphones, but it was nothing I recognized- more like No town!  I was so very glad when the test was over!

Hoping you get some good answers.

Wishing all here a good evening!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

Thank you,MJ.I graduated college with a Minor in English with a concentration in Literature.I began writing Poetry in my Freshman year.

I have written several award winning poems and short stories.

• Like 2

On another note for those of you that are joining us on the Bella 2 cruise on Wonder, February 2,2025, the Wonder thread has come alive with the possibility of doing a quasi back to back out of Port Canaveral. After Bella 2 gets back on the February 9th the very next day Utopia does a 4 nighter out of PC.

So guess what?  I booked us. My TA who many of you know has set aside a big block of rooms. Excited to sail on this brand new ship.

Who wants to join us for Bella 2 part 2?

• Like 6

Managed to get all 3 of our furry family members in one picture, thought about you all and felt safe to post it here.  Front to back its Biscuit (quite elderly, getting her paws trimmed next week), Gus, and Alfie.  Will miss all 3 on our vacation in a couple weeks.

image.png.eb5a1cddb1853e3c8d96ccf2e10bcef1.png

How is it that Gus the cat has possession of the dog bed?

Edited by QueSeraSera
spelling
  • Like 17
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

The wife of one of the people who died is the great grand daughter of a couple who died on the Titanic ,Isidore Strauss and his wife.

I read that also. Isidore was co-owner of Macy's Dept stores at the time as well as Abraham & Strauss - a regional NYC store similar to Macy's, based in Brooklyn but also had stores in lower NY, NJ, CT and PA.

I've watched the 1958 movie called "A Night to Remember", a factual account of the sinking of the Titanic, several times. Read the book by Walter Lord several times as well. In the movie - and in real life -  both Isidore and his wife Ida are offered a place in a lifeboat by the ships officers. Isidore refuses as its "women and children first". Ida then refuses as well despite Isidore imploring her to get on the life boat, she famously tells him "I will not be separated from my husband. As we have lived, so will we die, together." Ida gave her maid her fur coat and insisted she get into a lifeboat. Isidor and Ida were last seen on deck arm in arm; multiple eyewitnesses described the scene as a "most remarkable exhibition of love and devotion".

Jame Cameroon 1997 movie "Titanic" is a technical masterpiece accurately describing the physical sinking of the ship but he totally botches this story line, showing them for 2 seconds incorrectly huddled in bed together without a word being spoken. Cameroon is very loosey-goosey with many of the facts which is why in my mind, the movie is okay but not great.  IMHO, of course. 🙂

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I read that also. Isidore was co-owner of Macy's Dept stores at the time as well as Abraham & Strauss - a regional NYC store similar to Macy's, based in Brooklyn but also had stores in lower NY, NJ, CT and PA.

I've watched the 1958 movie called "A Night to Remember", a factual account of the sinking of the Titanic, several times. Read the book by Walter Lord several times as well. In the movie - and in real life -  both Isidore and his wife Ida are offered a place in a lifeboat by the ships officers. Isidore refuses as its "women and children first". Ida then refuses as well despite Isidore imploring her to get on the life boat, she famously tells him "I will not be separated from my husband. As we have lived, so will we die, together." Ida gave her maid her fur coat and insisted she get into a lifeboat. Isidor and Ida were last seen on deck arm in arm; multiple eyewitnesses described the scene as a "most remarkable exhibition of love and devotion".

Jame Cameroon 1997 movie "Titanic" is a technical masterpiece accurately describing the physical sinking of the ship but he totally botches this story line, showing them for 2 seconds incorrectly huddled in bed together without a word being spoken. Cameroon is very loosey-goosey with many of the facts which is why in my mind, the movie is okay but not great.  IMHO, of course. 🙂

My friend Gerald who is an Author and Journalist has the story in his column for tomorrow ,not about the movie but about te Strauss connection.

I have heard about other criticisms of the movie with regard to actual facts.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Did you know that in 1898 a novel was written about an ocean liner that hit an iceberg and sunk .The name of the ship was the Tttan. 
I did not know that . An Internet Journalist friend of mine told me this today.

I did know that as well. I might have been a bit of a Titanic nerd after watching the movie A Night to Remember.

However, it just dawned on my now the name of the submersible is Titan.

Also, Titanic had 2 sister ships - the Olympic and Britannic. The Britannic was launched in 1914 but did not see any passenger service due to WW1. She sank in 1916 after hitting a mine. Only Olympic would have a successful career well into the 1930s.

EDIT: Sorry, I geeked out for a bit. Told you I was a bit of a Titanic nerd.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I did know that as well. I might have been a bit of a Titanic nerd after watching the movie A Night to Remember.

Also, Titanic had 2 sister ships - the Olympic and Britannic. The Britannic was launched in 1914 but did not see any passenger service due to WW1. She sank in 1916 after hitting a mine. Only Olympic would have a successful career well into the 1930s.

I've seen "A Night To Remember" several times. However, the last time was a long time ago. I remember it as a very good movie. I never understood why Cameron portrayed the Strauss couple as he did.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

EDIT: Sorry, I geeked out for a bit. Told you I was a bit of a Titanic nerd.

My father was living in Liverpool in 1912.He was 17 and planning to sail to NY to live with his sister and her husband .He had a job waiting for him in Manhattan but they wanted him to wait till he had a better command of English (he was born in Poland).Had he left in 2012,perhaps he would have been on the Titanic and if so I might not have been posting here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

@Ozark_Kid John-I just read your post about you making homemade ice cream. Would you consider making garlic ice cream ?There is such a thing!😉

@h20skibumYikes! Your granddaughter is brave!😊

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

I have never heard of garlic ice cream.  I would guess if I made it I would get to eat it all. 😋

Have you tried it?

So curiosity got me to look it up.  Looks like it is made with roasted garlic.   I love roasted garlic. I guess I could make some vanilla icecream then stir in some roasted garlic. 

One time I was eating a bulb of roasted garlic.  I was about done when Sharon came over to give me a 💋 kiss.  She about fell over.  😆 It was strong. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Luckynana said:

It certainly looks like it, Greg!  Thanks for sharing this picture!  Although I was an Executive Secretary in NYC, I moved to Ft. Lauderdale with 2 of my friends, and lived in an efficiency apartment  one or two blocks over from E. Las Olas Blvd, and half a block up from A1A, which is no longer there.  Anyway, pay for Secretaries was almost laughable when I lived there, so I was fortunate to get a job as a Cocktail Waitress, which I loved doing at that time.  Definitely made more money as well as met interesting people, as well as a Celebrity or two..

What celebrities did you meet?

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

She 

so, other than lightning bugs, this was their best find tonight. 

IMG_7659.thumb.jpeg.336483c7cb4765f4a134580963babb82.jpeg

So this might sound icky BUT...

when my niece and nephew were little they would catch lightning bugs. When the bugs died they would smear something from the bugs on their skin and fingernails. They get a kick out of glowing in the dark. 

• Haha 10

14 hours ago, mo&fran said:

For others here that like aviation related Youtube  @bobmacliberty , I discovered one that is not flying at 40000 ft , at 300 kn or so in a multi million dollar jet,

it is an 800 lb , ultra light prop plane , at 1000 ft, 100 kn, flying through the mountains out west. Great scenery with a lot of filming out his plane and a lot of drone filming. These plans are STOL plane, (short takeoff and landing), and him and his buddies in their own planes, find all kinds of places to land their planes.  All of these planes are experimental category.

Look for Trent Palmer.

https://www.youtube.com/@TrentonPalmer

BTW, his real job is a professional drone pilot, he  flies big expensive drones with big expensive movies cameras hanging underneath creating content for movies and other productions.

Some of his videos talks about using the drones.

Thanks for the link.  Looks I'll get lost in that YouTube channel for a few hours.  I watched the video about the plane named Draco and recognized the guy who built that plane.  He also has an interesting channel focused on experimental aircraft, but where he's also building a pretty spectacular house.  His name is Mike Patey. (498) Mike Patey - YouTube  Warning though that he likes to talk. 🙂

20 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Report on Minnie.  At least today there’s no standing in the water bowl or aquatic shenanigans.  However, she just rubs her head against the water bowl…doesn’t drink.  Sigh.  The vet’s instruction sheet said to contact them if she refused to drink water for more than a day.  I gave both girls a treat of some canned tuna and put extra water in Minnie’s dish.  She lapped it all up…and I added more water twice.  So she’s getting some hydration.  Maybe I should patent tuna flavored water…. She’s not yet back to getting on the bed or sofa…must have been some powerful drugs!!

@Arzeena We’ll be on Equinox in September (can’t wait to check out the new MDR dinner hamburger…😜) and Apex in November.  Sorry we won’t be sailing at the same time; I’d love to meet any of Dani’s “family!”

Me too....on the new Hambuger and Dani's family.

I think Minnie loves to be a mermaid cat.😄

• Like 3

12 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I worked in IT at Abraham & Strauss which was cool since I was living less than a mile from there location in Brooklyn. 

• Like 5

Thank you to all who chimed in regarding the refrigerator questions. Thanks for all  the good knowledge and do's and dont's.

We decided on the GE Profile. We first narrowed it down to LG, GE and Kitchenaid. Kitchenaids were very hard to find "in person". Saw one at Lowe's and one at Best Buy...inventory was questionable. LG seems to be the most popular. GE seemed to have all that I needed. Tough first world choice.😁....LG or the GE. The big sticker on the GE made the decision: "Proudly made in America". Made or assembled, all good. To us it meant stricter/better quality control than something made in China (Not dissing them, just stating what we felt). I did like the Samsung, but so many told us to stay away, so did the pros at HD, Lowes and BB. They were also of the opinion that if one wants Samsung only, then to look at the new Bespoke. We looked, all bells and whistles were very nice, but felt that it was not for us. The LG looked good also. Loved the door in door feature and craft ice. But felt that more fancy features means more things to go wrong also. Didn't want to deal with those issues (if they were to arise at all). Did not need wifi enabled.....nice but did not absolutely need it. So, after all considerations and everyone's help, we went with GE Profile. It is a french door, bottom freezer with water and ice maker in the door and an option to have a second ice maker in the freezer, which we chose.

Wanted to mention, we did not have to pay sales tax......Florida is having a sales tax holiday on appliances under some $$$ amounts. Different "rebates" for different appliances. If you are in the market, make sure mention it, since many HD, BB or Lowes do not know about it. Our local Lowes had a flyer mentioning it, but did not know how to apply it to an order. We ordered from HD online,  while having a customer service manager on chat, who had to apply the no sales tax and a % off coupon DH got in a "welcome to FL" packet.....Ooops I was almost throwing it away in the junk mail recycling bin.

Sorry for the long post. But thank you to this family for excellent tips on refrigerator 101.

• Like 18

14 hours ago, h20skibum said:

IMG_7656.thumb.jpeg.18681e6553ba317517227e372651bf92.jpeg

so, other than lightning bugs, this was their best find tonight. 

IMG_7659.thumb.jpeg.336483c7cb4765f4a134580963babb82.jpeg

The girl is not fearful of anything. 

Well, I say good for her!!  Love it!!

What a great picture of the two cousins plotting their strategy!

How is your daughter feeling and doing, Mark?🙏

• Like 2

We're back from our dream family vacation at Club Med Palmiye, Turkey, with a bitter-sweet feeling.

Sweet ---

A year ago our boys asked for a vacation "down the memory lane"....

To make a very long story short, it is usual here, after a long and stressful army service, to save some money after the discharge (there are several incentive places of work for discharged soldiers -- gas stations, agriculture, building, working with elderly) and tour the world, mostly South America, India, the Far East.

The boys took pity on their mom, who after 4 years of sleepless nights while they've done their combat service, was not psychological ready for several months of additional stress, and looked to combine "seeing the world" without unnecessary worries for me.

Both being sea scouts in their youth, they've found a job instructing water sports at Club Med Palmiye, Turkey. DS1 worked there for 2 years, and DS2 for several months, until he completed his training as security man at our embassies, first in Cairo, and then, as a kind of "compensation" for the "difficult environment", back to the "roots" -- Brussels.

They asked to spend our next family vacation where it all started, and to show the spouse and the kids this marvelous place. DS1 has made life long friendships with people all over the world while working there.

Bitter --

We knew before traveling that DS2 and his family will leave us in order to seek a better and less stressful life in Netherlands. August 3rd 😢

We tried to make the most of us being together as a family and bond more with the grandkids. We succeeded.

I have a big hole in my heart, and DH is plain shattered.

The club is very big (I've timed, walking very quickly, 10 mins from our rooms to the reception...), well maintained, with extensive gardening, which DH couldn't stop photographing. 

Some examples --

image.thumb.jpeg.db2cf9009cbd84e4743f5f648ad56ba1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bafb7355331fbb776b943d133da2c90d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8b9122eb509f681e9c95581aa3d0c094.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c24e5e055d928d9f3ff6767efeb2ab7a.jpeg

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 1