Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 minutes ago, Coralc said:

It would be easy here. Sharon could just go down to the dispensary and pick some up with cash. I believe Greg mentioned something before about having a med card. It doesn't help much with the pain, but I think it might make it not so much front and center and might help you get some sleep. It is apparently much more potent now with new strains. I just inspected, haven't tried it for 40 years. 

One of my friends in Buffalo says the gummy’s are great for pain relief, I have never tried that even on my frequent trips to Denver and New York. I guess I would need to just do Wild Turkey Rare Breed at 116 proof .

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, George C said:

One of my friends in Buffalo says the gummy’s are great for pain relief, I have never tried that even on my frequent trips to Denver and New York. I guess I would need to just do Wild Turkey Rare Breed at 116 proof .

I don't know. Is it really a pain killer, or does it just take your mind off of it? I don't really know George. But if it works for your friend, that is what's important about it. ☺️

• Like 4

7 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I use a knife to cut the long strands, hoping that nobody will notice and if they do, I ignore the pitiful, disapproving glances, the shaking of heads and the muttering of "Is that sad sack for real"? 😳

OB close your eyes image.png.e24628b4e447f74e0f34dffa70216c5f.png...I do the same.  My Italian friend was outraged when she saw me take a knife to those long strands.  She grabbed my arm and declared "you're killing the spaghetti"!! Now I only order penne pasta.

6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I may be getting behind on posts as I think I may have kidney stone. Lots of pain now. Drinking lots of water in hopes it will pass. Seeing my primary doc tomorrow morning but I have a feeling tonight is going to suck big time. I don’t wish this pain on anyone.

Oh my Greg I am so sorry for your pain,  I had the same, so I know exactly what you're going through.  This too shall pass, hopefully very soon.

4 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I’ve lost a few more pounds. Thankfully I’m not in a cruise right now. 

I hope you get relief soon.  Nobody should lose weight that way.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Pretty positive we would not go on that sailing. Too many kids. For our sailing to Greenland I think we have only seen like 3 kids onboard.

On our last sailing we had a couple kids, which we hardly ever saw but when we did they were very nice and respectful.

I love kids but fear our January sailing will be overrun with a large group.  Especially since we sail out of Bayonne and like to use indoor pool and solarium on our cold days.

I don't want a repeat of the rude group Marietta @DaniDanielle and I had on our Oasis sailing last year.  

I was looking at switching to one of the other 11 nighters in January but the prices are now insane.   Our JS is now selling for over $9000 and balconies close to $6000.  I like the itinerary and love sailing in Jan.    What to do....Ugghhh!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Do you have any idea what triggered this? I've had patients develop TMJ from opening their mouth too wide to bite into a grinder, chewing gum, clenching their teeth, etc.

I do not grind them or clench.  If I had to guess, we had sweet corn the night before the initial pain started.  

7 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I use a knife to cut the long strands, hoping that nobody will notice and if they do, I ignore the pitiful, disapproving glances, the shaking of heads and the muttering of "Is that sad sack for real"? 😳

OB close your eyes...I do the same.  My Italian friend was outraged when she saw me take a knife to those long strands.  She grabbed my arm and declared "you're killing the spaghetti"!! Now I only order penne pasta.

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I may be getting behind on posts as I think I may have kidney stone. Lots of pain now. Drinking lots of water in hopes it will pass. Seeing my primary doc tomorrow morning but I have a feeling tonight is going to suck big time. I don’t wish this pain on anyone.

Oh my Greg I am so sorry for your pain,  I had the same, so I know what you're going through.  This too shall pass, hopefully soon.

4 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I’ve lost a few more pounds. Thankfully I’m not in a cruise right now. 

I hope you get relief soon.  Nobody should lose weight that way.

• Like 2

Sorry for all in pain.  Prayers for relief soon.  My DH did not know he was grinding his teeth in his sleep until his dentist informed him; he now wears a mouth piece at night.  I used to work for Dornier, a division of Daimler-Benz, maker of the litotripter that is used to break up stones. 

When we eat spaghetti at home we both wear full aprons.  Spaghetti sauce is insidious…and extremely hard to get out.  In fact, on our recent trip I managed to get a ketchup spot on my white top (do not recommend traveling in white…)  I managed to get that out at the hotel…only to get an avocado spot on the same white top at dinner that night.  I was turning into the Italian flag!!

My friends have all said how happy Diana and Minnie must have been to see me.  Au contraire!!  They truly loved Martha, our new pet sitter.  When she came over to return the key and get her check they were ecstatic to see her…did bunny hops for her in front of me!!!

Edited by helen haywood
  • Like 6
  • Haha 8

16 hours ago, maggieq said:

Beautiful pictures. Sorry if you mentioned.  Are you going on a cruise or just land based?

We board Celebrity Edge Saturday 9/30, ending in Barcelona. 

16 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Greg I’m so sorry you’re suffering. I know from experience how bad they are. I sure hope you’re getting some pain relief or getting that sucker zapped if it hasn’t already passed. 

@A&L_Ont Andrew I’m sorry you’re in pain also.  Hoping you see some improvement soon. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We board Celebrity Edge Saturday 9/30, ending in Barcelona. 

Greg I’m so sorry you’re suffering. I know from experience how bad they are. I sure hope you’re getting some pain relief or getting that sucker zapped if it hasn’t already passed. 

Thanks Deb, I think I passed it last night as I feel better today. Still really tired and worn out. That was the most painful one I’ve ever had.

• Like 19

We made it to Rome today via Italotreno.  Then taxi’s to our hotel.  If anyone thinks NYC taxi’s are crazy, you should try Rome’s!  Our hotel is amazing.  Right near Campo de Fiori.  I have quite a few pictures to post but we are off to Altar of the Fatherland, reservations for the top, hoping to catch sunset there.  I will catch up on photos tonight. 

• Like 13

23 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Andy says the problem with flying premium is it’s like a cruise ship balcony cabin - once you have it, it’s hard to go back!

Here are some pictures from the room.  The bed looks very basic but is very comfortable. IMG_9852.thumb.jpeg.7c34c5651193244927e2bf96d5fba66d.jpeg

You enter into this little vestibule area, bedroom is to the right, bathroom to the left. 
IMG_9865.thumb.jpeg.43fb7e0454977cba858f5295f9a90e65.jpeg

IMG_9866.thumb.jpeg.9a8c69aa9185dd1d802ab6d41d3daed5.jpeg

Included in the rate is a small breakfast buffet which you can eat inside or on this nice little outdoor terrace. 
IMG_9847.thumb.jpeg.9a463c738770636ea6946e58b438656f.jpeg

IMG_9849.thumb.jpeg.410d1eb8091f241dc37197f43eb05f3c.jpeg

@Ocean Boy We paid $300 per night for the room with the terrace.  The address is: Campo San Provolo 4701 Castello.  We have found it very conveniently located.  

Absolutely gorgeous!  When I showed these pictures to Jim, he said, "Okay, sign me up!"  (We were supposed to stay in Venice before taking Celebrity Summit to the Greek Isles..another Covid trip canceled)

On 9/25/2023 at 10:08 PM, lenquixote66 said:

We were on a plane coming back from Vancouver,BC .A guy seated in front of me kept on pushing his seat back.I asked if he could not do it so forcefully because I had a chronic knee problem.A few minutes later he pushed back much harder than previously.I screamed in pain Then he got out of his seat to go to the bathroom.His wife moved into his seat and pushed presumably as hard as she could into my knee.The Flight Attendants could not do anything and there were no empty seats on the plane.I spent the rest of the flight either with my legs in the aisle or standing.

Some people have anger issues, and it sounds like this couple make quite a pair.  How awful and mean they were to do this..not to mention childish🤨

• Like 3

21 hours ago, mets07 said:

Sorry, Newfoundland turned in to 2 words!

Love your pictures!

17 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks Mimi!  We cruise the 2nd.  I am actually renting an electronic wheelchair called Whills.  It is one that @brillohead Debbi recommended.   I am looking forward to using it.

Speaking of electronic wheelchairs, my new electronic wheelchair was delivered to the house today!  I love it! It can do a 360⁰ tight turn.  It is narrow and gets around the house easy!  I was able to ride it down to the garden.  I took it out front to the street and it was so fast my hair blew back some.  They say the battery last for about 14 miles.  It also let's you raise the chair up to 12 inches, an option called iLevel.  I felt like it was higher.  I will be able to talk eye to eye with people. 

20230926_145851.thumb.jpg.b5651d10dc1666ea169508a2d3c49acc.jpg

I'm so glad that your new wheelchair is working out for you, and you are not being limited to the things you want to do and see!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We made it to Rome today via Italotreno.  Then taxi’s to our hotel.  If anyone thinks NYC taxi’s are crazy, you should try Rome’s!  Our hotel is amazing.  Right near Campo de Fiori.  I have quite a few pictures to post but we are off to Altar of the Fatherland, reservations for the top, hoping to catch sunset there.  I will catch up on photos tonight. 

Ohmygosh….we had lunch in Campo de Fiori last year!!  We loved Rome.

IMG_2884.thumb.jpeg.b67c0acddaf9d2cdaacf46ccf87e3093.jpegIMG_2825.thumb.jpeg.ed4a940fddff22f8ed1fdc5ef733f6a2.jpeg

• Like 11

To everyone traveling nowadays, there is a thread on the Celebrity boards about a couple that had their passports stolen OUT OF A SAFE in their hotel room in Athens!  Of course they were then unable to board their cruise ship yesterday.  😢 Keep your passports with you and stay deligent.

Edited by helen haywood
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

To everyone traveling nowadays, there is a thread on the Celebrity boards about a couple that had their passports stolen OUT OF A SAFE in their hotel room in Barcelona!  Of course they were then unable to board their cruise ship yesterday.  😢 Keep your passports with you and stay deligent.

But crime and pick pockets are all over Barcelona.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, HBE4 said:

When eating out, I always order penne.  😁

15 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

So my TMJ is definitely acting up. I was told by the RD today that my jaw mobility is very limited.

It is moving less than half of its normal amount, when shifting it left to right horizontally. More importantly, the amount it should open fully is very limited. I should be able to open it 6cm, I can only open it 1.2cm. 

To put it into terms my American friends will relate to; 2.36” is the normal opening amount and I’m only getting .47” of opening. 

I now have a repositioning oral splint that I have to wear for the next week, hoping to get my jaw lined up better. I have to wear it all day, all night except for eating.  I’m just hoping this will help. 

I am so sorry to hear this, Andrew.  Hoping this splint eases your pain while aligning your jaw.🙏

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Andrew and Greg feel better🙏🤞My mom had kidney stones, she said they were worse than childbirth!

My BIL had kidney stones last month, and my SIL was in the hospital this month with them.  It sounds like it must be pretty common?

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I was looking at switching to one of the other 11 nighters in January but the prices are now insane.   Our JS is now selling for over $9000 and balconies close to $6000.  I like the itinerary and love sailing in Jan.    What to do....Ugghhh!

Good grief!  That's insane!!!

41 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks Deb, I think I passed it last night as I feel better today. Still really tired and worn out. That was the most painful one I’ve ever had.

I'm glad to hear you are feeling so much better today, Greg!

39 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Enjoy!  Loving your pictures!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Hope you feel much better soon. So sorry you went through that.

@A&L_Ont Hope you are able to get your jaw issues sorted soon, too.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 6:38 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

Sue and I finally met this morning in lounge.   Our guys were both sleeping due rough seas last night.   

She is a lovely person🥰  Wish we has met sooner but was really nice to meet today.  We chatted for a while.

I really enjoyed meeting you too Debbie. ☺️ it was great to finally meet up after chatting for several year, I felt I knew you very well.

Back to reality now after a great cruise. Serenade is a great little ship, staff are lovely and they work hard to keep her shipshape.

Missed the turndown service but not as much as I thought I would.  Its certainly something I can live with. 

Food was mostly fine though the one time we ate dinner in the Windjammer I was a bit disappointed by the offerings, especially dessert 🍨 

Park Cafe was our go to for lunch. 

First time at Coco Cay, I enjoyed the free loungers, food was very good and liked the ice cold water/flavoured waters available.

Didn't like the crowds, and disappointed the snorkeling wasn't good.  We went to South Beach and stopped off at the lagoon pool to cool off on way back to boat. Very crowded there and very much a party atmosphere. 

We got our first block on this cruise. I was surprised how small it was, I guess I had imagined it to be about 9" by 6"

It was the old fashioned uncoloured block

Ports were great. I loved loved loved Bonaire and Curaçao. Bonaire we did a drift reef snorkel on a very old Chinese junk boat, saw amazing tropical fish and a turtle. Curaçao we did an excursion to two beaches. First was a fisherman's port famous for wild turtles. We saw loads and loved swimming with these wonderful creatures. Then onto a prettier beach with loungers and beach bar, which had a coral reef so snorkeling was great there with shoals of tropical fish

We skirted around a named tropical storm on the way up to Boston, so weather was bad the last day with huge Seas 🌊  which caused Gary to be a bit seasick.  Weather was also cold and rainy in Boston so we cut our sightseeing short, picked up our bags from the water taxi wharf and caught an earlier water taxi back to the airport.

Overnight flight,  I only got an hours sleep  so was shattered on arrival back in UK. My bed was the best thing ever 😌 

No more cruises booked till our mini segment of the world cruise next July, though if we get a good deal we may jump on something early part of next year

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

To everyone traveling nowadays, there is a thread on the Celebrity boards about a couple that had their passports stolen OUT OF A SAFE in their hotel room in Athens!  Of course they were then unable to board their cruise ship yesterday.  😢 Keep your passports with you and stay deligent.

How awful and devastating for that couple!!😔  

We were in a fairly new Hilton hotel in Scottsdale last week, and we were quite perturbed that they don't have safes in their hotel rooms.  We carried our passports with us every day, and found it annoying to have to do so.   

• Like 2