Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

@firefly333 Not a certified decorating expert, but , I have done three kitchen redos and furnished our house and a condo a few times also.

I think you have to go with one element in the kitchen-in your case, I would choose the countertops since you are not planning to change those.

It looks like there are grey tones in the countertop, so I would go with a very light grey or a white tinged grey. I think Fluer de Sel is a good choice. It would also compliment stainless steel appliances if that is what you are replacing the appliances with, getting rid of the 80’s almond color.

As for the cabinets- you may consider refacing them instead of replacing them. If the interior shelving and frames are good, it is a fairly economical way to update the kitchen.

Darker grey cabinets are being shown now. Or. if you want something classic, white cabinets are always a choice. Or, you could mix up the cabinet colors-tops one color, bottoms another. Or, if there is a peninsula or island, the cabinets could be another color than the wall cabinets.

We had the cabinets in the FL condo refaced through Home Depot. They did a very good job and the process from choosing the doors etc to installation was fairly easy.

This was done in 2013- things may have changed, but I would give them a try. They have consultants in store to help you make design choices. 
Good luck!Post photos if you can -I enjoy seeing other people’s projects-easier on my pocketbook!

MJ

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, NHProud said:

My advice would be to slow down and wait until you get over there and look at the property itself as far as lighting, etc.  It would be worth your while , I think , to stay in a hotel while they paint.  It depends how long you expect to live there because you may want to think of resale. The appliance looks outdated and maybe just reface the cabinets.  

Yes I've posted a few times for sure I'm replacing appliances so ignore the color. Well I hope this is the last time I move. I'm getting old enough each move is harder. This time is for me not for resale.

Fyi it depends on the movers when the stuff will be moved in. I dont want to pay storage on all my stuff while they paint and I stay in a hotel. If the movers will take a long time getting there then I have time to play with. I'll follow in my car with valuables and some breakables. It may not just be a matter of paying for a hotel once the movers arrive. And the painter has other jobs, may not be at my beck and call.

Let me add the painter wants 2 to 3 weeks to do this job. It's also deep cleaning, 2 lights and carpet. I think the furniture will arrive before that time frame if I wait. So I'm doing it now.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Yes I've posted a few times for sure I'm replacing appliances so ignore the color. Well I hope this is the last time I move. I'm getting old enough each move is harder. This time is for me not for resale.

I feel your pain for sure . We moved 3 times in 6 years and I don’t intend to move again unless it is absolutely necessary.  MJ gave you some good advice. I would just slowdown . I’ve taken one class in interior decorating which makes me no expert. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

On another note.Just finished watched a great documentary on Herb Alpert on Amazon Prime called “Herb Alpert Is” and it’s fantastic. I highly recommend watching this. I had no idea he is also a very famous painter and sculptor. The story of how he gave his own song “Close to You” to the Carpenter’s is very interesting. I also learned what an amazing great human being he was. Go check it out.

I will definitely watch that special, so many of the artists that are on these cruises signed with his A&M company and everyone said he was great to work for. At one of his concerts he talked briefly on how tragic Karen Carpenters life was. I liked his one comment when playing a hundred year old  theatre in Dallas, he said it was nice to play somewhere older than he was.

Edited by George C
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Fyi it depends on the movers when the stuff will be moved in. I dont want to pay storage on all my stuff while they paint and I stay in a hotel. If the movers will take a long time getting there then I have time to play with. I'll follow in my car with valuables and some breakables. It may not just be a matter of paying for a hotel once the movers arrive. And the painter has other jobs, may not be at my beck and call.

Let me add the painter wants 2 to 3 weeks to do this job. It's also deep cleaning, 2 lights and carpet. I think the furniture will arrive before that time frame if I wait. So I'm doing it now.

Jane, first wishing you all the best tomorrow. 

I agree with others on colour, stick to grey, I would choose Fleur de sel also. I also echo @MJSailors for suggestion of changing doors of cabinets if the cabinets are solid and straight and in good shape inside. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

I like Fleur de Sel!  But then my whole house is Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray…it has grown on me!

1 hour ago, Vibe said:

I third that👍🏼

Looks close to the Agreeable Gray that Helen used, which is the trending color now. As you continue to update your condo that color will fit in well.

We have Agreeable Grey in our house.  Our painter said it's very popular.  

I understand the desire to paint before moving in, but painters are used to painting rooms that are filled with furniture.  You'll usually only have a room out of commission for a day (or 2 at most).  I'm not a big color person but Micheline very much is.  She'll get a sample quart of 3 or 4 colors and paint sections of walls.  You can then see how these different colors look in different lighting conditions.  Your room will like weird for a week or so but if color is important, you'll end up with something that you like.  If color isn't important, pick something and move on.  If your painter doesn't want to pick, take a few pictures to your local Sherwin Williams store and ask them.  Or, find a different painter who is more into design.  Our's very much is and had a lot of good conversations with Micheline about options.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I’ve got a sweet tooth but I’m not sure I could eat the one in the bottom picture…looks like glazed kale…

At least kale is good for you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

On the subject of painting-a number of years ago, I had a small room we use for an office painted red with white trim.

I like red.

A month ago, I had a painter come by to give me an estimate for painting the room.

He looked it over and asked what color I wanted to paint the room.

He had a querulous look on his face. I replied-red, of course!

He was so relieved!

One coat of Benjamin Moore Dutch Tulip will be fine!

If we ever put the house up for sale, I suppose we will have to paint the room white, grey or beige-whatever neutral is in style.
For now, I am pleased with the red! 

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 6

@Ozark_Kid Kenzie made a lovely birthday greeting for Dani!

I am sure it put a smile on her face as well as so many seeing your post!

Happy St Patrick’s Day to you and your family! ☘️ 

Happy St Patrick’s Day to all on Dani’s thread! ☘️ 

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Is anyone really good at colors. Decorating isnt my forte. Sure anyone can hire someone to change out countertops etc but I dont have a artistic flair. My painter wants a color of "white" so he can go in this week and paint. I cant make up my mind. Yesterday I wanted heron plume, today I'm back to alabaster. 

This shows the color of the cabinets and the granite countertop. My real estate agent and this guy are both pushing for new cabinets. For sure new appliances so ignore appliance color. If I get rid of cabinets, I'd lose the granite countertop. Right now I need a paint color. One thing at a time. . .. anyone have a preference? 

20240316_134949043.jpeg

20240316_201829994.jpeg

20240316_201818259.jpeg

20240316_201744269.jpeg

20240316_201730030.jpeg

Are you picking a paint color for the cabinets or the walls?    

If painting the cabinets for now, I like Ice Cube or your Heron Plume, something with a light grey would go well with the countertop. 

I understand not wanting to lose the countertop but would strongly consider replacing those '80's style cabinets in the near future.    Maybe they can reface them or salvage the countertop if able to remove it without damaging it.   

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

On another note.Just finished watched a great documentary on Herb Alpert on Amazon Prime called “Herb Alpert Is” and it’s fantastic. I highly recommend watching this. I had no idea he is also a very famous painter and sculptor. The story of how he gave his own song “Close to You” to the Carpenter’s is very interesting. I also learned what an amazing great human being he was. Go check it out.

In 2005 Herb Alpert and my cousin Marilyn Michaels appeared together in a concert.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

@Ozark_Kid Kenzie made a lovely birthday greeting for Dani!

I am sure it put a smile on her face as well as so many seeing your post!

Happy St Patrick’s Day to you and your family! ☘️ 

Happy St Patrick’s Day to all on Dani’s thread! ☘️ 

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

Happy St Patrick's day.

Cheer's.

IMG_20240315_182541.jpg

• Like 28

45 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

In 2005 Herb Alpert and my cousin Marilyn Michaels appeared together in a concert.

Steve Harley lead singer of Cockney Rebel sadly died today of cancer aged 73.RIP.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We have Agreeable Grey in our house.  Our painter said it's very popular.  

I understand the desire to paint before moving in, but painters are used to painting rooms that are filled with furniture.  You'll usually only have a room out of commission for a day (or 2 at most).  I'm not a big color person but Micheline very much is.  She'll get a sample quart of 3 or 4 colors and paint sections of walls.  You can then see how these different colors look in different lighting conditions.  Your room will like weird for a week or so but if color is important, you'll end up with something that you like.  If color isn't important, pick something and move on.  If your painter doesn't want to pick, take a few pictures to your local Sherwin Williams store and ask them.  Or, find a different painter who is more into design.  Our's very much is and had a lot of good conversations with Micheline about options.

I'm not very much into color. Not a artistic bone in me color wise. I've always thought for a kitchen  especially bight and airy is the goal. I never thought about a darker color on the walls. I asked sherwin William's for grey and agreeable grey doesnt even come up, had to ask specifically for that color. Their site shows it in various rooms including the kitchen. I'm thinking but not sure. Im not picky about color. They may have painted it for showing it, the whole condo seems to be in good shape. My painter calls it hospital white. So he too is suggesting not too white. 

For those who dont know agreeable grey it's almost a brown. Would go with a lot of colors. Looks lighter to me on the 2nd screen shot. I also like crashed ice on panel 2 and panel 3 drift of mist. Immdriving myself nuts. I dont want to go too dark either, especially for a kitchen.

20240317_144032617.jpeg

20240317_142638977.jpeg

20240317_142612918.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

No Krispy Kremes near us.  There had been two but they couldn't compete with Dunkins and closed.

Same here.    Haven't seen a Krispy Kreme in many years.    We have local bakeries / donut shops and one Dunkins near us.    

• Like 3