Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

16 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

They really do! At first, I thought I got scammed as they looked like cheap 3-D movie glasses. Then when I put then on inside the house,  I couldn't see a thing. I thought maybe the lens was covered & needed to be peeled off. 

But when I looked at the sun, wow. I'm guessing maybe 25% coverage.  

Following the rolling TV coverage as the eclipse slowly makes it way across the States and Canada 

4 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Went outside with glasses, saw nothing.  Story of my life😳

That's too bad.  We are at about 50% coverage right now.  Really cool to see it.  We are only going to be at around 90% covered at the max for our area.  Still worth seeing.  Traffic north was gridlocked all morning, so glad I didn't try to go to northern NH.

• Like 1

Was very cloudy here,did get a few seconds  a few times to see the moon blocking out about 1/4 of the sun.

Wasn't a total lost cause though. Got to finish my Blackout Slush Float. All in all it was a good day. 🙂

20240408_140624.jpg

20240408_141113.jpg

20240408_141436.jpg

20240408_144452.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 13

42 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

About 45% coverage now and it is getting cooler 😎 

When we had an almost total eclipse in Israel a few years ago, during the hot summer, it was 2.30pm and it suddenly got very cold outside.... We were on our balcony and felt like a very cold wind.

I remember thinking "Wow, we really needs this sun in our lives. Look what a few minutes of eclipse are doing to the temperatures outside...".

• Like 14

Photos don't do it justice.  Here was the effect of the partial sun shining through the chair.

image.thumb.png.a377e63fc48eced25f4cd55cb8ed3ab5.png

Started getting dark, cooler and quieter.  

image.thumb.png.e4956e5a90920dc0dda0c8ad1eba0924.png

A shot with the 10x camera. Not as nice as actually seeing it.

image.thumb.png.f32c9190e6004114d23674a4d5dc9c83.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

We just had our total eclipse here.  Clouds cleared and it was a good view.   Got dark as night and dropped probably 10 degrees.

Traffic was pretty crazy when I was out earlier.  I went to Walmart about a half hour before, and there was hardly anyone in the store.  I guess good things can happen during an eclipse.

IMG_0598.jpeg.1a8f766dea7389e0802783065ebcd2d0.jpeg

Edited by h20skibum
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Brian and I worked from home today. It was partly cloudy, but cleared enough to see the few minutes of totality. It was way cooler than I even imagined. It was so weird how it got dark and the streetlights came on. I'm glad I got to see that once in my lifetime. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

When we had an almost total eclipse in Israel a few years ago, during the hot summer, it was 2.30pm and it suddenly got very cold outside.... We were on our balcony and felt like a very cold wind.

I remember thinking "Wow, we really needs this sun in our lives. Look what a few minutes of eclipse are doing to the temperatures outside...".

Simular experience.  When the total eclipse happened it was like someone turned on the air conditioner.  Now it's hot again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 min 50 seconds total darkness 

ZZoey would not wear glasses.

So put a shirt over her and chair 

Turned chair around. 

AMAZING!!!!’

IMG_0666.thumb.jpeg.6112f6e5ac2c7d82ac46ca6a09192349.jpeg

IMG_0667.thumb.jpeg.9d941603dbe6752ff4bd83d49985cd70.jpeg

IMG_0665.thumb.jpeg.6515de226c1de3c8c25dae07be901711.jpeg

IMG_0656.thumb.jpeg.090e397ea2120e0610fcc192513e7bea.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Simular experience.  When the total eclipse happened it was like someone turned on the air conditioner.  Now it's hot again!

I thought it was odd that even though it got dark here, it didn't really get cooler. It was about 80* and didn't noticeably change during the totality.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Finally, got to see it.  It was exciting I must admit.  It was like looking at the crescent moon.

My granddaughter went crazy.  

Glad you saw it.  My Mom said it was a big nothing.  I asked her if she put the glasses on and looked at the sun and she said no, she only watched the tv.  😨  I told her to go outside and put on the glasses and look but she only went to the hallway window, but she finally saw it. 🙂

• Like 6

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Plus it was an excuse to visit some of our favorite diners such as Park Ridge Diner @BonTXNY

YES!!!

I have no idea why my response to HBE4's post popped up again.  Couldn't be erased.

We had totality here at approx. 1:40.  I was outside and did not feel any temp change.  Awesome experience.

image.thumb.png.46de02ed8ac8139404c393820b339f3b.png

• Like 11

Had to turn some lights on in the office that we typically don't need during the day. Outside shadows appeared that are never seen at 3:30 in the afternoon and in no time it was all over. It must have been a very cool experience to be in the totality zone. 

• Like 7

We had a great view of the eclipse...fewer clouds than originally predicted.   It was so cool, yet eerie, how light it stayed until the first moment of totality.   The temperature dropped over 10 degrees, and the wind picked up.   Unfortunately, none of our photos did it justice.   It was pretty cool that all of our neighbors were out, the church down the street rang bells for several minutes. An amazing sight to behold.

• Like 6

We had about 60% eclipse coverage here.  It got a little bit darker but not much.  We tried too late to get glasses (everyone sold out) so couldn't look at it.  My SIL, who works in Dayton, OH, took this picture from the roof of his building.  He said it was much cooler to see in person than the picture shows.

IMG_3215.thumb.JPEG.26545bc86137a4c0a9821e97eacc2328.JPEG

• Like 13

7 hours ago, h20skibum said:

We are about 2 miles from the border, which is nice, because we can get gas $0.70-$1.00 a gallon cheaper than here in PA.

The place we hiked was about a 50 minute drive for us.

Mark - Have you guys been to Hocking Hills in OH?  It's a couple of hours south of Nelson-Kennedy Ledges State Park so I'm guessing a good 3 hours from you.  They have great hiking with lots of caves and waterfalls.  Hard to believe it's actually in OH given how flat and boring most of the OH landscape is.  Definitely worth staying a night or 2 there, especially in the fall.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

What do you think about Calipari taking over the Men’s Basketball team at Arkansas ?
People tell me that he is burnt out .

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

It surprised me. He has done well so far.  If I was burnt out, I wouldn't take another job.

I was happy to see Musselman leave.  He was too much of a whiner for me.  

As a casual Kentucky fan (daughter got her undergrad degree there), I was happy to see Coach Cal go.  I was not the only Kentucky fan to feel that way.  He has arguably had the best talent of any college team (NBA teams are littered with former UK players) but they were all one and done.  No matter how much talent you have as a freshman, it's tough to go against some of the more experienced 3 and 4 year players on teams like Virginia, or Villanova, or Gonzaga.  He had a hard time just winning the SEC.  Cal didn't seem willing to move away from the one and done model.  Worse, he complained every year about how his guys had a hard time adjusting to being great team players. 🙄

Hopefully he tries a different approach at Arkansas and has better success.  I think he's still a good coach.