Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

54 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Is this normal for B&H?  I agree they are a great store. The line is crazy long!

No, the line was strictly for those buying solar eclipse glasses.

It was an impulse purchase for me as I had every intention of viewing the eclipse on TV.  I was in an Irish pub where I caught the beginning of the women NCAA championship game, the topic of conversation in the place was the eclipse, where to watch it and where to buy glasses. Someone mention B&H and as luck would have it, I'd be walking right past the store on the way to the hockey game. Silly me thought I could just run in & grab a pair.

But everything turned out just fine. I had an hour to kill after the Auto Show & before the doors opened at Madison Square Garden & i had some interesting conversation with my fellow line mates so the time passed quickly.

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Looks good. Are you going to do popcorn or knockdown? I wish I knew about knockdown when we built ours. I hate popcorn so when we finished the basement did a knockdown and it looks so much better.

I don't think anyone intentionally installs popcorn ceilings anymore. 😉 We took ours out here ourselves. Most difficult DIY job ever! The other house still has some. Hopefully, we can pay someone to remove them. Also my mom's "leaf art" . For some reason she thought it would be a neat idea to modge podge a bunch of fall leaves on the wall. They will have to be sanded off. 🙄

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Coralc said:

I don't think anyone intentionally installs popcorn ceilings anymore. 😉 We took ours out here ourselves. Most difficult DIY job ever! The other house still has some. Hopefully, we can pay someone to remove them. Also my mom's "leaf art" . For some reason she thought it would be a neat idea to modge podge a bunch of fall leaves on the wall. They will have to be sanded off. 🙄

I looked into removing ours. Looked like a nightmare job. I think most homes being built now are knockdowns. Our home was built in 1997 before knockdowns were popular.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Any advice on how to remove it? We actually have sparkles in ours, 

The leaf art sounds….interesting! 

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Looks good. Are you going to do popcorn or knockdown? I wish I knew about knockdown when we built ours. I hate popcorn so when we finished the basement did a knockdown and it looks so much better.

We'll just do knockdown.  We're doing a light gray over the walls and ceilings, with a darker gray with a bluish tint accent wall in the living room, master bedroom, and master bath.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I looked into removing ours. Looked like a nightmare job. I think most homes being built now are knockdowns. Our home was built in 1997 before knockdowns were popular.

I'm sure they are. Living room and hall. We had to tarp everything in plastic. Ours had a teeny bit of asbestos. I thought we could use a hand sprayer. But nooo..we ended up having to bring in the garden hose on the mist setting.. Bill scraped, and I lugged the full, heavy bags out to the trash. Horrible job. And one we plan not to do again. ☺️

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, StanleyandGus said:

Get it tested first. The labs are online and will tell you how to take and submit the sample. It only cost about $35. If there is no asbestos, any painter will remove it. 

If there is, your options are pay a large amount of money for asbestos remediation. , do it yourself, or even sheetrock over it. It is a horrible, messy job. And you have to get it really wet. HD sells a scraper with a pole attachment that you can attach a garbage bag to. That's what we used. 

Or if you are really fortunate, you can find a painter, that doesn't care or just makes provisions for it. Co-worker's painter just removed theirs. And our floor guy was like that. I'm almost positive there was asbestos in the mastic for the original kitchen linoleum. He just brought in a big filtered vacuum air unit and removed it without any questions. ☺️

The leaf art is not horrible. Just not our thing. She put some on interior doors too. I will try to take a photo next time we are up there. 

Ceiling 3.jpg

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, StanleyandGus said:

40 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I'm sure they are. Living room and hall. We had to tarp everything in plastic. Ours had a teeny bit of asbestos. I thought we could use a hand sprayer. But nooo..we ended up having to bring in the garden hose on the mist setting.. Bill scraped, and I lugged the full, heavy bags out to the trash. Horrible job. And one we plan not to do again. ☺️

Hard to hire someone in case of the asbestos.  Few will take the job. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Hard to hire someone in case of the asbestos.  Few will take the job. 

Definitely. But there are some trades people that will just deal with it. We don't know what we are going to do at the other house yet. 

When we had the furnace replaced, the guy looked at the outflow? pipe, and said "That is probably asbestos tape". 

I asked if that was a problem? He said, "Not for me. Are you getting a permit?" 

I said no. He said, "Okay. I will install it on Saturday". 😃

And everything worked out fine. We had the realtor out last week and today. They are very helpful. We are still trying to work out how to proceed with the termite repairs. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

What is knockdown?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

I was once in a house that had popcorn with sparkles. I thought it looked kind of cool.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

The rain is pouring down here where it is 46°F.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

I have a skin cancer check up later.

I wish everyone a happy day.

All the best for your skin cancer check up Graham.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It was 12C and pouring rain by the time I finished walking Max after work. Thank you Sydney for preparing me for Alaska…Not surprised it was cold, our NSW alpine areas had their first snowfall today (3 months ahead of schedule).

DH’s nephew has unfortunately joined the Canadian broken bones club.  He broke his femur on the last session of the last day of the ski season at his resort in BC.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I agree, absolutely hate popcorn ceilings luckily none of our homes ever had it.

I never heard of knockdown.  Just goggled and it reminds me of the texture design on ceiling tiles we have in our basement.  

I prefer smooth finishes that are easy to clean and paint.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

The rain is pouring down here where it is 46°F.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

I have a skin cancer check up later.

I wish everyone a happy day.

Best wishes for a great day and no issues at your skin appt.😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, HBE4 said:

It was pretty exciting! Glad you got to see it.  It started slow but then you could see a little dent in the sun that grew into a pac-man and then a very thin crescent moom.  And the crescent shifted, first just the top of the sun, the left side & finally bottom.  Looked like a big smiley face except the nose & eyes were missing.  Lol

Temperature did drop a bit & the lighting got weird,  not dark but ominous. 

I took a few pictures but they did come out. I can share a picture of the long line at B&H. I meant to post it earlier.  This is about 1/4 of the line.

Our experience was much like yours. Temperature dropped and the lighting got weird. Thanks to the glasses we could watch the eclipse as it progressed.  As the sun emerged after totality I kept seeing bananas and slices of cantaloupe.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I think they were popular in the 50s thru the 80s.  

I think you're right.  I don't think popcorn ceilings were a fashion choice so much as it's much easier and faster to put up drywall that way.  Just spray the ceiling to get the popcorn texture.  No time/skill needed to apply and sand drywall mud multiple times to get a smooth finish.  

• Like 5

AS usual, I'm about half a day and 2 or 3 pages late to the discussion 😉.  Our house was about a mile away from the Totality line, but we got to see the "Diamond Ring" Effect.  Sky was perfectly clear.  And the sound of Eclipse was very appropriate 😉

Old School Vinyl

image.png.a6d87ad4b57356cebe3af1914a7bcba5.png

dp

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I prefer smooth finishes that are easy to clean and paint

Smooth finishes seem to show imperfections.   Our house, built in 1970 has plaster walls with a swirl finish.  

What I didn’t know, until we did a full kitchen remodel in the 90’s, was that the kitchen designer could tell who did the plaster work by looking at the swirl pattern.  We dropped the ceilings over the new cabinets and put in can lights.  We said we wanted the dropped part to have the same swirl pattern as the rest of the house.  They said “Oh, so and so is still working, so we can have him in to match it.”

When we had a guy redo our small bath a couple years ago. We had him do the same finish. 

Our next project is just a repainting of our master bath.  Took the wallpaper border off last week, and the new one arrived yesterday.  New curtains are here, so now we are looking at paint colors to go with all of it. 

This is the swirl pattern that will get a new color. 

IMG_0937.thumb.jpeg.0333ed621f0b97849b77c558b3deb9c5.jpeg

• Like 7