Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

40 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Maybe have to consider less beach time  excursions on cruises  and or cooler weather non beach cruises.

Not happening. I'm not going to live my life that way. I will take precautious and be careful but I want to live my life.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Had my first PT appointment this afternoon.  Really nice young man…wearing a bracelet his four year old daughter had made for him.  It wasn’t as bad/painful as I’d feared.  George, Mr. Cheerful, said it probably would get worse later.  😉  Just depressing how little movement in any direction I’m capable of right now.  But I’m a motivated patient.

Stay positive and motivated.  That movement will show up before you know it.  George just might be wrong. For my PT, in the beginning, I was advised to take pain meds 30 minutes before each session. After a few short sessions those pain meds were put away, hopefully for good. 

Good luck!

@Sea Dog Greg hang in there.  Wishing the best for your total recovery on all fronts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Sorry if I forgot but is this a new house you bought to renovate and move into or one you inherited? I know I should remember and see all the work you are doing but cant remember why you started remodeling. 

No problem, Jane! I have lived here for 54 years. Since I was 11. (That is why this packing/discard/donate/sell thing is so difficult) My dad bought it when we moved down from WA. He passed away in 1979. This house is only 1248 sq.ft. (but it has great storage! 😄) My mother bought a much larger house in the Sierra foothills. Since she is gone, we are moving to that house for at least 2 years. We took out a second on this house, and she used that money to purchase and renovate the other house. DH and I paid the second off. 

We were joint tenants on both houses and accounts. Inherited houses would have been much better than the capital gains we are looking at. When my mom was declining and didn't want to be responsible for any of the costs at her home, we transferred both of them over to me. We were both anticipating nursing home costs in her future. That didn't happen. But that is sometimes the way things work out. ☺️

We are a little bit sorry (not sorry) that we deferred a lot of maintenance to travel and cruise. I wouldn't trade the experiences for anything. ☺️

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Stay positive and motivated.  That movement will show up before you know it.  George just might be wrong. For my PT, in the beginning, I was advised to take pain meds 30 minutes before each session.

I’m definitely positive and motivated!!!!  George has actually been wrong before!  (Not sure he remembers…)  I took some OTC pain med before the appointment but I don’t think it was necessary.  So far…feels like trying to stretch a stiff limb.

• Like 8

@Sea Dog Hi Greg, I have used the cream on my face (twice). The cream is worth doing.    Your skin will turn an ugly red, it  will be sun sensitive whilst you use the cream. My GP told me to start using it in the cooler months & stay in the shade/indoors as as  as possible.  My top tip is to apply it in the bathroom and wash your hands immediately afterwards (you don’t want to rub it in your eyes). If I were you, I would be stopping  the pups from licking your head immediately so they get the message before you start using the cream.  You don’t want them licking it off - for their health and yours - you want the cream to be undisturbed to be effective.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Well the hits keep on coming. Bad enough still trying to rehab the knee, then deal with hernia, then needing periodontal work in a couple of weeks. Plus next week is my MRI to see if I have any prostate cancer.

Today I went for a skin cancer checkup. They did one biopsy on a piece by my forehead but they are concerned with a some spots starting to develop on my bald head. Turns out they want me to come back after our October cruise to get a topical chemotherapy cream to put on my head called  “Efudex.” The side effects sound horrible. Anyone have experience with this topical chemotherapy cream on their head? Thoughts and advice is greatly appreciated.

Yes, I have used several times.   It works great and my dermatologist has always been very happy with the results.  In fact, he mentioned this week how smooth my face after doing this in 2023.

I have done this treatment on my upper chest (that was the worst), shoulders and full face.   

The first week is easy you really won't start to see or feel the effects until the 2nd week.   It will burn, itch and be gruesome looking.  You will end up with oozing blister like bubbles that will probably turn black and eventually peel off.   The entire area where applied will be a bright red, like a bad sunburn. 

Each time I have used I was instructed to apply twice a day.  When applying the cream it felt good but then wait an hour or so then apply Vaseline.

There is also a version that comes as a pre-mixed compound with a soothing cream.  If your Dr can prescribe that version, get it.  Not all pharmacies carry it.  My CVS did not carry it but I was able to get both items and mix myself.   Or it can be mail ordered.   Even with this version you still want to use the Vaseline to keep it moist.

That's good, that means it is working.   Your skin will feel like it's on fire while healing, that lasts about 1 week depending on how bad the spots were.  

My best word of advice is keep it moist with Vaseline.   Do not use any type of lotions or cremes they will burn on your raw skin.

Use old pillow cases and throw them out when done.   

Doubt you will be able to wear a hat.  If you do, throw it out when done.  

When I did my upper chest then shoulders i ruined lots of clothes and bedding because of the Vaseline but so worth it.  

It hurt like he** to take a shower and used baby shampoo to avoid the sting but you need to keep the area very clean.

Also, make sure you wash your hands immediately after applying the creme.   

Do not lay down on sofa and let dogs near your head or anywhere you have laid.   The creme is highly deadly if they injest by getting on their paws or lick your head or any pillows you laid your head on

Highly recommend doing it.  It may be torture for a month but definitely worth it vs skin cancer.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Not happening. I'm not going to live my life that way. I will take precautious and be careful but I want to live my life.

I agree.  Can't go through life scared.  That said, I wear a hat 95% of the time when I'm outdoors.  Even if I'm just going out to water plants for 5 minutes, I put on a hat.  It has become such a habit that I'll feel like something is missing if I leave the house without a hat.  The good news is that you can buy hats in every cruise port. 😁

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I agree.  Can't go through life scared.  That said, I wear a hat 95% of the time when I'm outdoors.  Even if I'm just going out to water plants for 5 minutes, I put on a hat.  It has become such a habit that I'll feel like something is missing if I leave the house without a hat.  The good news is that you can buy hats in every cruise port. 😁

I agree also, but you still have to be somewhat smart about the issue you have and act accordingly even though it may not be the way you have handled things in the past.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

My doctor told me too to stay out of the sun and I'm still cruising. Imo it's impossible to cruise and not get some sun. You get off at a port and of course walk around. You are going to get some sun no matter what.

I'm with you, not changing my life, just being more careful and trying to not get sunburned. I have that irish skin which used to be freckled that is more prone to skin cancer my doc says. 

Try and get checked every 6 months. Most skin cancers if you find them in time can be frozen off in the doctors office. If I had none that visit they used to allow me to freeze off one skin tag, but last time now dont even allow that much. My policy is  small co pay. My dad retired from NASA and back then Medicare wasnt so big and they chose a private policy which later in his life, each place burned off was a separate charge. There was only 1 private policy they could get as the years went by. To change over to Medicare he would have had to pay back tomage 65. At age 89 or 90 we inquired and he was told there woukd be a additional $1200 a  month payment on top of the Medicare insurance payment to pay back to age 65. He lived another 13 or 14 years, so it would have cost even more to change to medicare.

He had hip replacement t and his insurance only covered 90 days. If he had Medicare instead they would have paid 6 to 12 month of rehab. We took him home and he never was a good eater. By then he was on a feeding tube we had to manage on our own he had for about a year after that rehab place. They also got his blood thinner pills tripled once and he went into a coma. Nice new rehab place, looked really nice, but the help were working b2b 12 hour shifts and somehow his blood thinner pills got doubled up and he then had to be hospitalized and they called us in and didnt think he would live but he did eventually wake up from the coma. He was 89 at the time and was just there for PT after hip replacement. He used to be a electrical e engineer for NASA and when he woke up he had this whole plan in his head about how to rewire all the phones in the hospital. So funny he woukd wake up thinking about wiring and technical stuff... we were so happy he woke up and coherent. .. in his own way. My mind too works in  numbers and numbers sequences. I admit I'm terrible at anything social. I find it hard to make friends. I want friends but forget names but can remember their phone numbers. 

Anyway I'm moving out today to the condo. Going to have the beds delivered today. I looked at sofas and love seats but cant make up my mind. I like soft soft soft. Leather looks more classy but I think I prefer material or cloth or  microfiber. My cousin ssays I already paid to ship my old junkmsofa and love seat might as well take my time making up my mind. It's so complicated to think about. If I order from online they deliver it downstairs. By myself I cant get it up to my unit. My neighbors I've met I'd say more than half are older than me. Dont know how to plan delivery, hire help for the exact right time. The guy who painted and cleaned has grandsons who I could hire but 45 minutes away. And then add in I'm required to give this guy ray 24 hours notice to pad the elevators.

My mind is so feeling confused right  now. I know now it was stupid to ship the, for instance rooms to go charges $89 to deliver but wouldnt pick up the old sofa and chair. This matress bed guy his guys will pick up. But now it could be more than another week before my moving truck comes. Maybe  not even next week. I think they should have told me clearly the 12 business days starts not the day of pick up, but the day I picked for delivery. He said well he couldnt promise delivery last friday. He should have said the 12 business days starts counting from last friday, the picked delivery date. So now it could be not even by the end of next week. I'm kinda mad theh didnt mention how they calculated the 2 to 12 days, no its business days, no it's not from the date of pick up, it's from the date I selected for earliest delivery.. I've spent 11 nights now in hotels. Communication is a fail. I still plan on buying new living room for future but my cousin says take my time but finding helpmto not just deliver but also remove the old set is a problem. Btw i would never normally shop at rooms to go but it's currently in the same parking lot out on the main road where I'm currently staying. I just went in to see how soft the leather sofas were and look at choices. Like quite a few have a thing in the middle of the love seat for cups and ubs charging. I dont want that blocking up the love seat. Some have electric motion and some manual levers for motion. I dont know if one lasts better than the other but i want motion. .. my mind is still so dizzy from decisions. Maybe no one but me would move across the country alone knowing no one there that can help with small things. I'd like to know about where you can fish if my bil comes for instance. My condo is posted no fishing allowed. .. but one step forward. I'm moving to the condo today, beds being delivered.

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm with you, not changing my life, just being more careful and trying to not get sunburned. I have that irish skin which used to be freckled that is more prone to skin cancer my doc says

Totally agree with you. Thank you.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@Sea Dog Hi Greg, I have used the cream on my face (twice). The cream is worth doing.    Your skin will turn an ugly red, it  will be sun sensitive whilst you use the cream. My GP told me to start using it in the cooler months & stay in the shade/indoors as as  as possible.  My top tip is to apply it in the bathroom and wash your hands immediately afterwards (you don’t want to rub it in your eyes). If I were you, I would be stopping  the pups from licking your head immediately so they get the message before you start using the cream.  You don’t want them licking it off - for their health and yours - you want the cream to be undisturbed to be effective.

Great advice. I have copied and pasted this into my notes. The sheet they gave me says to wear gloves when putting it on.

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, I have used several times.   It works great and my dermatologist has always been very happy with the results.  In fact, he mentioned this week how smooth my face after doing this in 2023.

I have done this treatment on my upper chest (that was the worst), shoulders and full face.   

The first week is easy you really won't start to see or feel the effects until the 2nd week.   It will burn, itch and be gruesome looking.  You will end up with oozing blister like bubbles that will probably turn black and eventually peel off.   The entire area where applied will be a bright red, like a bad sunburn. 

Each time I have used I was instructed to apply twice a day.  When applying the cream it felt good but then wait an hour or so then apply Vaseline.

There is also a version that comes as a pre-mixed compound with a soothing cream.  If your Dr can prescribe that version, get it.  Not all pharmacies carry it.  My CVS did not carry it but I was able to get both items and mix myself.   Or it can be mail ordered.   Even with this version you still want to use the Vaseline to keep it moist.

That's good, that means it is working.   Your skin will feel like it's on fire while healing, that lasts about 1 week depending on how bad the spots were.  

My best word of advice is keep it moist with Vaseline.   Do not use any type of lotions or cremes they will burn on your raw skin.

Use old pillow cases and throw them out when done.   

Doubt you will be able to wear a hat.  If you do, throw it out when done.  

When I did my upper chest then shoulders i ruined lots of clothes and bedding because of the Vaseline but so worth it.  

It hurt like he** to take a shower and used baby shampoo to avoid the sting but you need to keep the area very clean.

Also, make sure you wash your hands immediately after applying the creme.   

Do not lay down on sofa and let dogs near your head or anywhere you have laid.   The creme is highly deadly if they injest by getting on their paws or lick your head or any pillows you laid your head on

Highly recommend doing it.  It may be torture for a month but definitely worth it vs skin cancer.

Im going to ask the doctor about that and using Vaseline. I would think that would help.

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Hats don’t bother me just need to be more mindful of wearing it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

https://tilley.com/pages/hats

😉

Tilley was a canadian comany but has been sold out a few years ago.  There are still a few selections that are still made in Canada and have the lifetime warranty that Tilley was known for.

As you might have guessed from my avatar... I have several summer Tilley hats and the most wonderful T2 Tecwool winter hat. (Link is to the US site)

dp

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

10 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

image.thumb.png.ea5f38f795f040ac64d203401a65a4f3.png

Edited by Vibe
  • Like 8

45 minutes ago, dpostman said:

https://tilley.com/pages/hats

😉

Tilley was a canadian comany but has been sold out a few years ago.  There are still a few selections that are still made in Canada and have the lifetime warranty that Tilley was known for.

As you might have guessed from my avatar... I have several summer Tilley hats and the most wonderful T2 Tecwool winter hat. (Link is to the US site)

dp

Those  look very nice. I may need to get one of those. I do have a wide brimmed hat.

13 minutes ago, Vibe said:

image.thumb.png.ea5f38f795f040ac64d203401a65a4f3.png

I had one of those but blown off my head visiting El Murro Fort in San Juan and flew into the Caribbean. Unfortunately they are all sold out as I have looked several times.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

My doctor told me too to stay out of the sun and I'm still cruising. Imo it's impossible to cruise and not get some sun. You get off at a port and of course walk around. You are going to get some sun no matter what.

I'm with you, not changing my life, just being more careful and trying to not get sunburned. I have that irish skin which used to be freckled that is more prone to skin cancer my doc says. 

My mind is so feeling confused right  now. I know now it was stupid to ship the, for instance rooms to go charges $89 to deliver but wouldnt pick up the old sofa and chair. This matress bed guy his guys will pick up. But now it could be more than another week before my moving truck comes. Maybe  not even next week. I think they should have told me clearly the 12 business days starts not the day of pick up, but the day I picked for delivery. He said well he couldnt promise delivery last friday. He should have said the 12 business days starts counting from last friday, the picked delivery date. So now it could be not even by the end of next week. I'm kinda mad theh didnt mention how they calculated the 2 to 12 days, no its business days, no it's not from the date of pick up, it's from the date I selected for earliest delivery.. I've spent 11 nights now in hotels. Communication is a fail. I still plan on buying new living room for future but my cousin says take my time but finding helpmto not just deliver but also remove the old set is a problem. Btw i would never normally shop at rooms to go but it's currently in the same parking lot out on the main road where I'm currently staying. I just went in to see how soft the leather sofas were and look at choices. Like quite a few have a thing in the middle of the love seat for cups and ubs charging. I dont want that blocking up the love seat. Some have electric motion and some manual levers for motion. I dont know if one lasts better than the other but i want motion. .. my mind is still so dizzy from decisions. Maybe no one but me would move across the country alone knowing no one there that can help with small things. I'd like to know about where you can fish if my bil comes for instance. My condo is posted no fishing allowed. .. but one step forward. I'm moving to the condo today, beds being delivered.

You are going through a lot. What I don’t understand is that I think you said the movers were in Boynton Beach yesterday. It’s basically where I live and it’s only about 3 hours from you. It’s terrible that they are making you wait so long. 

• Like 1

@firefly333 I think you cousin is right- you are moving into the condo today, and you will have a comfortable place to sleep and a chair, and presumably and fridge and stove. That’s all you really need, wait for the truck, and get everything moved in. 

Then you can decide on furnishings. Probably you have a junk removal service that can come up to the condo and remove what you don’t want at the right time. You don’t have to do everything at once. I’m a big proponent of sitting in a sofa to know that it’s comfortable, and custom upholstery takes time anyway, so you may as well live with the junky sofa!

Can you tell that I like to organize? 😁

By the way, the condo looks really nice- good choice!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Totally agree with you. Thank you.

Another idea once you are healed and want a little extra protection. There is a head and scalp sunscreen spray.  It is very lightweight and not greasy.  I always use Aveeno moisturizer on my face eveyday which has sunscreen.  These help keep me from burning even in the Caribbean.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Great advice. I have copied and pasted this into my notes. The sheet they gave me says to wear gloves when putting it on.

Im going to ask the doctor about that and using Vaseline. I would think that would help.

I had skin cancer go to a nerve requiring immunotherapy so do your cream. I’m still getting MRIs every 6 months.  Be very careful as others have said around your dogs or pregnant women.  

Having almost lost my life to skin cancer, squamous and Basel, not melanoma, I still cruise.  I wear sunscreen everyday.  Hats when out. Rash guard and shade with 50 spf on a beach or boat.  My days of sitting in the sun are over. I take Vit D instead.  But I’m not going to quit doing what I love to do or stop going to grands soccer games.  I’m just more careful about it now. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Well the hits keep on coming. Bad enough still trying to rehab the knee, then deal with hernia, then needing periodontal work in a couple of weeks. Plus next week is my MRI to see if I have any prostate cancer.

Today I went for a skin cancer checkup. They did one biopsy on a piece by my forehead but they are concerned with a some spots starting to develop on my bald head. Turns out they want me to come back after our October cruise to get a topical chemotherapy cream to put on my head called  “Efudex.” The side effects sound horrible. Anyone have experience with this topical chemotherapy cream on their head? Thoughts and advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm so sorry. You sure have been through a lot with your health lately. I hope things will improve in the coming year as you have these things treated and get yourself all fixed up. How long until your next cruise?

• Like 4

I have not seen any cat or kitten pictures in a while , we will be getting ours soon , currently have 120 pounds of kitten litter 😁😁, will buy them a new scratching post also.

• Like 10

Good evening.

It has been a cool 59°F and cloudy here.

Our dentist owner just seems interested in doing Implants but some of his dentists who don't do implants are happy to do tooth repairs.

Having had 2 Basal cell carcinomas removed from my face I wear a cap outside.

I hope everyone is safe and well and enjoying today.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I had skin cancer go to a nerve requiring immunotherapy so do your cream. I’m still getting MRIs every 6 months.  Be very careful as others have said around your dogs or pregnant women.  

Having almost lost my life to skin cancer, squamous and Basel, not melanoma, I still cruise.  I wear sunscreen everyday.  Hats when out. Rash guard and shade with 50 spf on a beach or boat.  My days of sitting in the sun are over. I take Vit D instead.  But I’m not going to quit doing what I love to do or stop going to grands soccer games.  I’m just more careful about it now. 

Thanks for your thoughts. I have been wearing long sleeve rash guards for the last couple of years. Sunburn can ruin a cruise real fast.

3 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

I'm so sorry. You sure have been through a lot with your health lately. I hope things will improve in the coming year as you have these things treated and get yourself all fixed up. How long until your next cruise?

We sail on Navigator this October out of LA, then Bella 2.0 and Bella 2.5 in February. Can’t come soon enough.

3 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

@Sea Dog🤞🙏

@firefly333Hoping all goes smoothly for you.  Good luck🙏

Thank you!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1