Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Well they did come and have gone. I'm feeling kinda idk .. things are broke. Valuable stuff too. He says it's my fault I should have had my antiques crated at additional cost. I have a black lacquer table and a mahogany end table both with broken legs I'm most upset about. A scratch on the headboard of my mahogany bed frame that wasnt there before.,it was bought new because it matched a antique triple dresser. It's my fault I called the main guy away from setting up a triple dresser. The other guy was putting a marble top on a napoleon table wrong and it too had a piece of board inside the drawer I dont know what it used to be attached to. But anyway, he walked away from the triple dresser and left it standing on its end wrapped up.

To start with he arrived 1030 maybe later before 1130. His cab of his truck is huge  ot just that he has a 18 wheeler, that cab is extra long too. Spent a hour figuring out how to get in and turn around and pull alongside my bldg. There is a big parking lot right outside the fence. He said the trees will scratch the top of his truck, it's happened before these trees are  ot that big and just along the fence, there was tons of room to pull his truck. Anyway that took over a hote. Even the maintenance man was involved in trying to get his truck to make the turn at the north gate, come down to the south and turn around.

There are some small things broke. A xmas tree I set there at xmas just to say its xmas, the top is bent, past fixing. Ruined junk. A vacuum handle in pieces doesnt go back together seems broke to me. The scratch on my bed frame. 

What I am feeling so down about is I'm no better off than before they came kitchen wise. They packed boxes too heavy for me. I really only wanted my microwave especially. The moving guy said hey they cost $40 get another. The issue is partial pack apparently isnt partia unpack. I have no idea which box the microwave is in. I had 80 boxes and they came and packed up my kitchen and microwave and pots and pans. Silly me thinking a partial pack meant partial unpack. I cant even lift the boxes or microwave by myself. I'm used to zapping my coffee a little warmer than a coffee maker makes it. I like my coffee super hot. So valuable antiques I've had for 50 years and treasured are broke and I still have no kitchen stuff to use except what I bought to jse while mynstuff came. I have to make a claim for damage. But he says my fault for not having valuable antiques crated. And a room of boxes. And a triple dresser standing on its end.

This black lacquer table is over 300 years old. The mahogany end table also very old. The boxes are triple deep at the end and the big ones are stacked double high and double deep that mostly I cant pick up. My kitchen stuff is in there somewhere I'm sure. And microwave. I only have some plastic silverware to use. .. oh let me add the picture of the triple dresser it will take 2 strong men to set so it's not standing on its end. If you paid for them to pack your stuff would you assume that also meant they would unpack the stuff they packed? I really wanted my microwave.

20240612_161516.jpg

20240612_161417.jpg

20240612_161914.jpg

20240612_160358.jpg

20240612_162213.jpg

I'm sorry Jane. It's a terrible way to start off your new life in your new state.  I hope the next few days gets better for you.  

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 3

Jane, another idea would be to call one of the local moving companies like Three Men and a Truck and see if you could hire their guys for a few hours.  They could unpack any boxes you need unpacked and set up your furniture

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Jane, another idea would be to call one of the local moving companies like Three Men and a Truck and see if you could hire their guys for a few hours.  They could unpack any boxes you need unpacked and set up your furniture

Good idea.  The realtor who sold the condo likely has a list of tradesman or handy men.  I would ask neighbors who they use for odd jobs too.  I know in my Mom's condo building, there was a guy that used to do odd jobs for cheap.  He doesn't live in her building anymore but he used to do windows and any little job that needed doing.  He bartered for a tiramisu for one job he did for my Mom. 😄 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Three Men and a Truck is the company I recommended to my daughter unfortunately she hired a company with a variation of the name .  

Jane , you should acquaint yourself with Nextdoor.com . It is a site for neighbors to share ideas , recommendations and some complaining.  Lots of people seeking help with projects. Use a pseudonym.

Unfortunately, there was a lot of miscommunication with your move .   You have a nice new home to enjoy 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

It has been raining cats and dogs down here. Mike took water out of the pool earlier and it's overflowing again. Luckily it doesn't come in the house from the pool. Canals are high with water creeping up to the top of the docks. For us here, I don't think it will be anything like April 2023 in what they were calling The Storm Of The Century, but others are getting water in their houses again. Some people lost everything due to the flooding last year. It wasn't even from a hurricane. I feel so bad for them and lots of people posting photos on Nextdoor. Local news didn't air World News so they could keep reporting on the flooding. Lots of flights canceled or diverted. Unfortunately, Mike's wasn't and he just left. Hopefully he can make it to MIA.

20240612_195703.thumb.jpg.b21e255c74f66347932eb3d2a7ec578b.jpg

20240612_130607.thumb.jpg.086f85d94b2bc15c5ba6a180beb524f0.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

@firefly333  Jane, I am so sorry for this awful experience you have had with this moving company.  It sure sounds like they're some fly-by-night company who are not professional, in the least.  I'm glad that you've taken pictures of your broken furniture, and of the upended dresser that they did not set up right.  Please follow through with your complaints and pictures of how this company (or broker) handled your entire move, and how they have damaged your precious goods.  Dang, it's been such a horrible experience, Jane.  Again, I am truly sorry.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Well they did come and have gone. I'm feeling kinda idk .. things are broke. Valuable stuff too. He says it's my fault I should have had my antiques crated at additional cost. I have a black lacquer table and a mahogany end table both with broken legs I'm most upset about. A scratch on the headboard of my mahogany bed frame that wasnt there before.,it was bought new because it matched a antique triple dresser. It's my fault I called the main guy away from setting up a triple dresser. The other guy was putting a marble top on a napoleon table wrong and it too had a piece of board inside the drawer I dont know what it used to be attached to. But anyway, he walked away from the triple dresser and left it standing on its end wrapped up.

To start with he arrived 1030 maybe later before 1130. His cab of his truck is huge  ot just that he has a 18 wheeler, that cab is extra long too. Spent a hour figuring out how to get in and turn around and pull alongside my bldg. There is a big parking lot right outside the fence. He said the trees will scratch the top of his truck, it's happened before these trees are  ot that big and just along the fence, there was tons of room to pull his truck. Anyway that took over a hote. Even the maintenance man was involved in trying to get his truck to make the turn at the north gate, come down to the south and turn around.

There are some small things broke. A xmas tree I set there at xmas just to say its xmas, the top is bent, past fixing. Ruined junk. A vacuum handle in pieces doesnt go back together seems broke to me. The scratch on my bed frame. 

What I am feeling so down about is I'm no better off than before they came kitchen wise. They packed boxes too heavy for me. I really only wanted my microwave especially. The moving guy said hey they cost $40 get another. The issue is partial pack apparently isnt partia unpack. I have no idea which box the microwave is in. I had 80 boxes and they came and packed up my kitchen and microwave and pots and pans. Silly me thinking a partial pack meant partial unpack. I cant even lift the boxes or microwave by myself. I'm used to zapping my coffee a little warmer than a coffee maker makes it. I like my coffee super hot. So valuable antiques I've had for 50 years and treasured are broke and I still have no kitchen stuff to use except what I bought to jse while mynstuff came. I have to make a claim for damage. But he says my fault for not having valuable antiques crated. And a room of boxes. And a triple dresser standing on its end.

This black lacquer table is over 300 years old. The mahogany end table also very old. The boxes are triple deep at the end and the big ones are stacked double high and double deep that mostly I cant pick up. My kitchen stuff is in there somewhere I'm sure. And microwave. I only have some plastic silverware to use. .. oh let me add the picture of the triple dresser it will take 2 strong men to set so it's not standing on its end. If you paid for them to pack your stuff would you assume that also meant they would unpack the stuff they packed? I really wanted my microwave.

20240612_161516.jpg

20240612_161417.jpg

20240612_161914.jpg

20240612_160358.jpg

20240612_162213.jpg

Im so sorry this happened to you. I would look over the contract and definitely file a claim. I would look into suing them too. Sounds like they are not a very good moving company.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

It has been raining cats and dogs down here. Mike took water out of the pool earlier and it's overflowing again. Luckily it doesn't come in the house from the pool. Canals are high with water creeping up to the top of the docks. For us here, I don't think it will be anything like April 2023 in what they were calling The Storm Of The Century, but others are getting water in their houses again. Some people lost everything due to the flooding last year. It wasn't even from a hurricane. I feel so bad for them and lots of people posting photos on Nextdoor. Local news didn't air World News so they could keep reporting on the flooding. Lots of flights canceled or diverted. Unfortunately, Mike's wasn't and he just left. Hopefully he can make it to MIA.

20240612_195703.thumb.jpg.b21e255c74f66347932eb3d2a7ec578b.jpg

20240612_130607.thumb.jpg.086f85d94b2bc15c5ba6a180beb524f0.jpg

I hope your house stays dry.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I hope your house stays dry.

Thanks, I do too. Mechanical issue so Mikes flight was canceled. He just got home and said the rain had quit down in Miami and there wasn’t any flooding when he drove home. Very little water left on our street. 

• Like 13

9 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

I’m pretty sure the estimator should have suggested boxing the antiques. I have antique tables, and every time I have moved with them, they are wrapped in moving blankets and taped.

At the very least, all the things the movers packed should be labelled, ie kitchen/ microwave. The movers should definitely have set up your dresser!

I’m sorry that it has gone this way. Is your cousin able to help?

9 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Jane, I am so sorry for what you are going through.

What the movers packed ,like for example, furniture, they should have unpacked and set up. Boxes, I believe they do not unpack or arrange your stuff. So sorry to see such a beautiful table not handled well and broken. That dresser they should have unpacked.

Take pictures and I hope you are filing a claim.
Just throwing ideas: Perhaps your bedroom furniture guy may help? Or young students off from college? Perhaps ask at Publix, they seem to have lots of young guys and maybe someone knows someone who can help for some extra $$$?

I emailed and will call about filing a claim. I have so many complaints I dont know they will even listen. Imo the workers were fresh off the boat Haitians. At least one didnt speak english. As far as my cousin helping he lives snow bird, half the year in venice florida, at least 4 hours away. He just went back up north to his golf condo in Cincinnati a week before I left dallas so we just missed each other.

If I hadnt paid them to pack stuff I wouldnt feel cheated. I see 4 boards sitting taped together I have to figure where they go. And another square off white square of wood obviously goes into something off white as a shelf. I'm  missing a lot of shelves I guess they packed up.

I paid them to pack, so I guess it was naive to think that would unpack. Things like 5 or 6 lamps are packed in the boxes. Its lucky this condo came with lots of ceiling fans with lights. Imo lamps are furniture. I've moved twice in dallas and never had stuff broken nor such poor service.

And to top it wll off my next door neighbor knocks on my door about 6 pm asking if it was my guys who left a lot of boxes downstairs clearly marked NO CONTRACTOR TRASH. Boxes either have to be hauled away by contractors or put up by tower A for recycling. So after I spent the day cutting tape and helping them unwrap stuff until I almost cant walk, I had to go downstairs and get all the cardboard they taped to stuff instead of blankets. I took some down to somemgreen recycling containers and will ask the maintenance man where cardboard boxes go. I brought a whole elevator full of cardboard they used to wrap around furniture back up here so today I have to dispose of their mess. 

Where I moved from a guy with dreadlocks coming over to talk to me is a pan handler. Turned out to be a worker but maybe I'm just a scardy cat but admit I was a bit worried. I moved from a unsafe area. I asked later and he was from haiti as i think the others who showed up later were from haiti. At least 1 spoke no English. Simple things like no this is the BACK and he woukd try to turn it upside down, and I'm like no this is backwards not upside down. 

As for the glass I had 2 big pieces. Glad they made it. Kinda similar size.,I was like this one looks like for the top of my coffee table. He was like no too small, I'm no I think it fits. And then the 2nd piece was for the top of the one triple dresser and the main guy the driver saying I wasted his time, it's my furniture how could I not know sooner before he put on the mirror. I worked my arse off all day ... and then to have to go down later and pick up all their cardboard trash. Imo blankets not cardboard should have been wrapped around my obviously delicate stuff. Only the marble top of my napoleon desk type thing marked delicate. Nothing else and the foot of that very oldmliece obviously has a new gouge in the right front foot.fresh wood gouge. It wasnt there before. I have a lot of really old old antiques. I love them. They have been moved several times before safely. That's why I was so concerned when I kept hearing new dates for delivery. I know antiques are fragile. My cousin said they probably pay google a lot of money to be at the top rated 10 stars in a google cross country move search. 

So today I have to ask ray where cardboard boxes to. I need to know anyway, but a bunch of haitians some who don't speak english and put their trash where it's clearly marked no contractor trash. I had 80 boxes, many have antique stuff in and all my moms quilts and allmtheirmboxes and now their trash to deal with and now I need to file a claim for damage.,3 weeks in this heat and humidity just too long. I would not have agreed had I understood how they count. From the date I asked for delivery. And not 12 days, 12 business days and memorial long weekend. Over 3 weeks. 

So today i file a claim for damage and find out where cardboard boxes go. I was so tired last night from all the cutting tape and unwrapping I could barely walk. And of course about 2 pm it rained, saw it on that link for hourly weather rain by 2 pm, it hit about 1:45. I knew that only 1 elevator would not make them happy but I also worked very hard on helping.

I guess get it in writing and ask the right questions. I know for sure I was told no elevator fee unless they have to use the stairs. Well turns out they did have to use the stairs., my sofa is a lightweight piece of junk I said well just keep it. They had to walk it up 8 flights of stairs so I would have had to pay the fee anyway. This place really needs a moving elevator. The neighbor who warned me his sofa had to be walked up 8 flights was right. Lucky mine is ultra light weight,microfiber or some such.,I wanted to buy motion. Looks like that's not going to happen. Elevator ceiling just too low. Motion and leather sofa would weigh a ton. That's on this place. 

I need to go shopping and buy juice especially. Waited 2 days for him to show up. Soith florida getting hammered with rain. It could have been a lot worse. And who would think to ask about the size of the truck coming in here. That long cab, and 18 wheeler.,.no kidding that took over a hour including the maintenance guy here who i keep having to ask for stuff. Now it's where does contractor trash go. I get it that's a hard job they did today too, but I paid for packing. Lesson to myself ask if that includes unpacking. I still think things like lamps are furniture and at the very least their responsibility to unpack. 

By the time I took the grocery cart down to tower A and dumped some of the cardboard incoukdnt move so just took it up here but it says small cardboard only. Obviously there has to be a place for larger cardboard. I love the condo but it sure isnt easy to move in. Car wash rules and a key to turn on the car wash .. recycling.. it's a whole new world to me.

I went to bed, really i could hardly walk and then 2 trips down with a shopping cart with cardboard. I'm sure going to work in getting more in shape. ...but every day here seems to be a new challenge. Twice a week they do morning water aerobics and other activities. Lots to look forward to. Not w clue where my bathing suit or even shorts are.silly me thinking these guys were like movers I'd had in the past. I know my fault, get it in writing. Claim next. And I want to discuss what I paid for when I paid for packing. It doesnt mean unpacking? Elevator and parking fees. And imo maybe a complaint to bbb.  .

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Thanks, I do too. Mechanical issue so Mikes flight was canceled. He just got home and said the rain had quit down in Miami and there wasn’t any flooding when he drove home. Very little water left on our street. 

What was wrong with the plane?

@firefly333. Jane, I am so sorry you are dealing with this Ag.

You may want to wait on filing your claim until you unpack boxes incase anything else is broken or missing.

the fact noone thought to mark boxes is wrong too.

Take pictures of their trash mess outside as well as everything and anything to document for your claim.    

You may want to simply notify your broker or whoever you paid that there are broken items and you need to know how to file a claim.  IMO, Don't go into details with them until you have a full list.

Whether they were meant to unpack boxes or not is something that should have been in writing  too.   

I hope all goes well with your home closing.   

Sending you some positive thoughts and a big hug.   (((((💖)))))

• Like 5

@firefly333

Jane my heart goes out to you. 

When you hire and trust a moving company for safe quality work and then get damaged valuables is heartbreaking. 

I hope and pray that once your move, unpacking and organizing your new home is completed, this experience is only a bad memory of what you dealt with. 
In saying that, you can now enjoy a fun and exciting new chapter in your life. 

Here’s to better days ahead!

❤️

• Like 5

@firefly333 I am sorry this has been such a nightmare. I would start by reading your contract and find out what is required to file a claim and what the timeline is for notifying them of damages. Do not wait and miss the window that you need to file within. 

I would also hire help to do the heavy lifting and unpacking. You don’t need skilled labor, just extra hands and muscle. Ask around or get on Nextdoor. Someone will know someone who fits the bill. I know when my Mom and I were emptying my Aunts house, we got to the point we just couldn’t deal with a storage area and shed. We called a company that does local moving, packing and unpacking, garage/house clean outs and junk removal. They sent a truck and three guys to do the work. It might just be worth the money to get help so you can get through this. 

• Like 6

@firefly333Another thing you might do before filing the claim is to see if a furniture restoration company will send someone out to evaluate the damage and give you an estimate on the repairs.  That way you will have a dollar amount for the claim.

• Like 7