Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

I thought about doing a road trip this past spring after we cancelled our trip to Aruba.  Dog wasn't doing so well so I put it on the back burner.  I can see how slow traffic and poor weather could take away from the experience.  

Bob, could you tell me about your Global Entry interview?  We go in 2 weeks.  I managed to get an appointment in Boston.  Just hoping it goes as planned.  I originally had us booked in early Feb at Bradley Airport (almost 2 hours from our home) and then when I was rechecking (since we now have a cruise and I would be flying that day) I saw that Boston reopened.  Now it is gone again so I am hoping my appointment didn't go poof.  Hey, I have the paperwork and they keep blowing up my mailbox with the EOA notices, no reason they shouldn't have some time to see us.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Have you ever gone to dinner at Rao’s? It is like living in The Godfather movie .

No and apparently I never will.  Unless I meet someone who knows someone.   Maybe one of @Sunshine3601 neighbors? 😃

"How do you get a table at Rao's? "You don't," executive chef Dino Gatto said.

"That's because the 124-year-old restaurant doesn't answer its phone. Its 10 tables are booked every night by regulars who hold a standing reservation, which recur anywhere from weekly to every four months."

https://www.businessinsider.com/raos-takeout-coronavirus-pandemic-review-2020-5#how-do-you-get-a-table-at-raos-you-dont-executive-chef-dino-gatto-told-me-recently-4

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

When I was in college there was a fantastic pizza place I loved.  My roommate had “scruples” and refused to go there as she said it was run by the Mafia.  I didn’t care…really really great pizza.  😁

At least their pizza business was legit. Well, it probably existed for money laundering reasons so only somewhat legit.

When I moved into my current home, we had a choice of hiring 1 of 3 private garbage companies. You guessed it - all 3 were owned by the same guy who was "connected". I like my trash to be picked up so I had to let go of my "scruples".

Eventually, the Feds caught up & he went to prison. The town took over the trash removal. Or maybe that's what they want us to think. Hmmmm...

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

No and apparently I never will.  Unless I meet someone who knows someone.   Maybe one of @Sunshine3601 neighbors? 😃

"How do you get a table at Rao's? "You don't," executive chef Dino Gatto said.

"That's because the 124-year-old restaurant doesn't answer its phone. Its 10 tables are booked every night by regulars who hold a standing reservation, which recur anywhere from weekly to every four months."

https://www.businessinsider.com/raos-takeout-coronavirus-pandemic-review-2020-5#how-do-you-get-a-table-at-raos-you-dont-executive-chef-dino-gatto-told-me-recently-4

I had dinner there in 1998.One of the owners of the company I was working for was friends with one of the owners of Rao’s.He took me ,the Vice President of the company and another employee to the restaurant.We sat at the owners table.One of the stars of the Sopranos was at the table.They were doing vodka shots.I had not drank vodka for many years and said that.The Rao’s owner said that if I did not drink I would be disrespecting him and I drank 14.

We went to the restaurant by limo.When we were leaving my boss said it is my responsibility to make sure that the 2 female employees get home safely.He gave me a wad of bills.There were taxis outside.He said that when I arrive home to give the driver the money.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Driving down, we stopped after a couple of hours at the Daytona Beach Buc-ee's.  This was our first Buc-ee's experience.  I think Buc-ee's are just a southern thing so for those not familiar, it's a massive gas station/restaurant/grocery/home goods/clothing store.  If I counted correctly, there are 104 gas pumps (with cars waiting) and the men's room had 14 urinals/12 stalls (I think...didn't want to stare and point while trying to count).  We bought some of their famous beef jerky and chocolate covered almonds to go with a couple of cups of coffee.  The jerky was delicious.

We LOVE Bucc-ee's here in Texas, where it began!!  My favorite thing are the Beaver Nuggets, which are like Cheetos that are covered in toffee coating instead of cheese. The BBQ sandwiches are also really great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Voted cleanest bathrooms in America. Seriously!

When visiting family in Texas, I always try to incorporate a stop at Buc'ees.  Love the freshly made pork sandwiches.  As does everyone else as it seems the fly off the rack as soon as some put them up there.

A stop at Buc-ee's on the drive down to Galveston cruise terminal is tradition. They are known for great bbq and clean bathrooms.

There are one or two which are under one hour from me but to me it's part of the anticipation as a stop on the way TO somewhere.  It would be too disappointing just to go there, turn around and drive back home.  

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

A stop at Buc-ee's on the drive down to Galveston cruise terminal is tradition. They are known for great bbq and clean bathrooms.

There are one or two which are under one hour from me but to me it's part of the anticipation as a stop on the way TO somewhere.  It would be too disappointing just to go there, turn around and drive back home.  

Reading the witty road signs is always entertaining.  "You just need to hold it for the next 62 miles". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

44 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

At least their pizza business was legit. Well, it probably existed for money laundering reasons so only somewhat legit.

When I moved into my current home, we had a choice of hiring 1 of 3 private garbage companies. You guessed it - all 3 were owned by the same guy who was "connected". I like my trash to be picked up so I had to let go of my "scruples".

Eventually, the Feds caught up & he went to prison. The town took over the trash removal. Or maybe that's what they want us to think. Hmmmm...

There is a Italian restaurant in midtown Manhattan called Patsy , it was Sinatra favorite restaurant. Owner had some great stories on Sinatra. We were there on a Monday night when they had music upstairs, there were two gentlemen that looked like they were extras from The Godfather movie. Downstairs there was a vase with a sign that said this vase contains the ash’s of the last person who complained. They sell his Italian sauce in some grocery stores and owner gave us a bottle of it . Not the greatest Italian food but worth the visit. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

We LOVE Bucc-ee's here in Texas, where it began!!  My favorite thing are the Beaver Nuggets, which are like Cheetos that are covered in toffee coating instead of cheese. The BBQ sandwiches are also really great.

I may have a couple of decor items from Bucc-ees on my living room table and our squirrel feeder too.  My friend has some things from there too.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sheal said:

Bob, could you tell me about your Global Entry interview? 

It was surprisingly simple and easy.  Took longer to walk from the parking lot to the interview area than both of our interviews combined.  I expected some sort of questions regarding future travel plans, or maybe something about past trips (e.g. why did you travel to China in 2019?). They essentially verified that my address was correct, took a digital picture, and then took digital fingerprints. 

My interviewer did ask if I've been to either Canada or Mexico in the last 5 years but I think that was just to discuss using NEXUS/SENTRI since these are included with Global Entry.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good late morning here in NE England.

It is sunny and 54°F.

We are hopefully going to have a lazy day at home today.

Wishing everyone a nice day.

Graham.

32 degrees here and sunny on the south shore of Long Island,

We are up early because we are going out soon to donate food to a local pantry.

• Like 6

I was surprised to see some people walking around Buc-ee's with a shopping cart.  They were clearly interested in in buying more than gas and BBQ.  They also had some sort of cheer that they did in the area where they made the BBQ sandwiches.  One person would yell something and all of the workers in the area would repeat it.  I couldn't tell what they were saying though.  Any Buc-ee's experts know?

9 hours ago, George C said:

There is a Italian restaurant in midtown Manhattan called Patsy , it was Sinatra favorite restaurant. Owner had some great stories on Sinatra. We were there on a Monday night when they had music upstairs, there were two gentlemen that looked like they were extras from The Godfather movie. Downstairs there was a vase with a sign that said this vase contains the ash’s of the last person who complained. They sell his Italian sauce in some grocery stores and owner gave us a bottle of it . Not the greatest Italian food but worth the visit. 

The brother of a guy I worked with was an Extra in Godfather I.Everyone in his Staten Island neighborhood saw him in the movie and it made him feel great .

• Like 4

On to our second day in Key West...Tuesday.  We had booked the 2 hour Land's End Sunset Sail with Sebago Watersports.  We had to be at the Marina near the northern end of Duval St. at 4:00 for boarding.  Our plan for the day was to visit the Hemingway House in the morning (right next to our hotel), and then head to the Southern end of Duval for lunch and to get our picture taken at the southernmost point buoy.  We'd then work our way back up Duval, checking out shops/galleries (and maybe a bar 😉) as we went, to be at the marina at 4:00.  Dinner after the sunset sail would be at the Half Shell Raw Bar where we could eat a lot or a little depending on the "chef's selection of varied hors d'oeuvres" that were served on the sail.  We would then work our way back down Duval to our hotel, stopping at some of the famous bars along the way.  

After a nice breakfast at the hotel (included), we walked the short distance to the Hemingway House.  We really enjoyed it.  They give you a short 20-30 minute tour of the house, giving you some of Ernest Hemingway's life story along the way, and then you're free to tour the house and grounds on your own.  I knew a little about Hemingway but not a lot.  He was a very interesting guy.  The Hemingway House tour didn't get into some of his issues, other than he liked women and drinking more than he probably should have.  We were told that the Ken Burns documentary about Hemingway does go into more detail about him, including his mental illnesses.  I plan to watch the documentary now to learn more.  A typical day for Hemingway included waking up and going to his writing studio to write in the morning.  He'd break for lunch and then go fishing in the afternoon (one of the reasons he loved Key West).  He'd come home for dinner and then go out to the local bars after dinner.  Rinse and repeat.

The grounds around the house were beautiful and include what is still the largest pool in Key West.  The pool area was originally a boxing ring and Hemingway did not want a pool, because he had the largest pool available a few blocks away (the ocean).  His wife Pauline (wife number 2 of 4, I think) wanted a pool and had it installed while Hemingway was away.  The house is across the street from the Key West Lighthouse.

APC_2374-hdr.thumb.JPG.53cca63c0e8aa8a7c518bb56c25220ca.JPG

APC_2377-hdr.thumb.JPG.8b747b3c074def4ecf60a388d35146fe.JPG

For the cat lovers here, Hemingway had a thing for polydactyl cats...cats that have more than 5 toes.  There are currently 58 cats at the Hemingway House that more or less roam freely about the house and grounds.  Many are polydactyl.  Some were friendly...one jumped into my lap while I was sitting on a bench and started kneading.  Others wanted to be left alone.  Hemingway liked to name his cats after famous people.  Here is a picture of Joe DiMaggio having a drink.  As my daughters would say, he's boojie.

IMG_7979.thumb.jpg.1a21d23946d870556f191b08fbf46947.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We then made our way to the southernmost buoy...the definitive touristy thing to do in Key West.  The line to get your picture taken was only about 15 minutes so we waited and got our picture taken.  Check. 

IMG_7994.thumb.jpg.12f3cfff324d189087ae0b51fb550bd2.jpg

Lunch was at the Seaside Cafe, "home of the world famous lobster pizza".  Since their lobster pizza is world famous, we had to get it.  Who are we to disagree with the rest of the world?  After a few slices, I can see why the world likes it.  Tasty.  The tables are literally next to the water with a nice view.  No picture of the pizza, but we did take a picture of the Painkillers that we ordered to drink.  They were OK, but I think I make them better.

IMG_8006.thumb.jpg.7e9a5ff96b508d729cea6c9fbca256b0.jpg

Key West is famous for roosters and chickens wandering freely.  I think they are protected, although our tour guide told us that the town does occasionally do some "population control".  This guy was standing right at my feet, almost begging for me to toss him some pizza.  

IMG_8007.thumb.jpg.1159f3a8c5e705e01383a1d29cc3ca11.jpg

• Like 15

We did 3 days in Key West, a really long time ago and stayed at the Casa Marina. I liked that place a lot.
(After that we have been several times on cruise ships).

Would love to do a drive down again. And would love to try and fit in the Dry Tortugas during a longer stay. Have been thinking about it a lot. Key West has its charm!
I remember there used to be a ferry from Fort Meyers (?) to KW.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

On to our second day in Key West...Tuesday.  We had booked the 2 hour Land's End Sunset Sail with Sebago Watersports.  We had to be at the Marina near the northern end of Duval St. at 4:00 for boarding.  Our plan for the day was to visit the Hemingway House in the morning (right next to our hotel), and then head to the Southern end of Duval for lunch and to get our picture taken at the southernmost point buoy.  We'd then work our way back up Duval, checking out shops/galleries (and maybe a bar 😉) as we went, to be at the marina at 4:00.  Dinner after the sunset sail would be at the Half Shell Raw Bar where we could eat a lot or a little depending on the "chef's selection of varied hors d'oeuvres" that were served on the sail.  We would then work our way back down Duval to our hotel, stopping at some of the famous bars along the way.  

After a nice breakfast at the hotel (included), we walked the short distance to the Hemingway House.  We really enjoyed it.  They give you a short 20-30 minute tour of the house, giving you some of Ernest Hemingway's life story along the way, and then you're free to tour the house and grounds on your own.  I knew a little about Hemingway but not a lot.  He was a very interesting guy.  The Hemingway House tour didn't get into some of his issues, other than he liked women and drinking more than he probably should have.  We were told that the Ken Burns documentary about Hemingway does go into more detail about him, including his mental illnesses.  I plan to watch the documentary now to learn more.  A typical day for Hemingway included waking up and going to his writing studio to write in the morning.  He'd break for lunch and then go fishing in the afternoon (one of the reasons he loved Key West).  He'd come home for dinner and then go out to the local bars after dinner.  Rinse and repeat.

The grounds around the house were beautiful and include what is still the largest pool in Key West.  The pool area was originally a boxing ring and Hemingway did not want a pool, because he had the largest pool available a few blocks away (the ocean).  His wife Pauline (wife number 2 of 4, I think) wanted a pool and had it installed while Hemingway was away.  The house is across the street from the Key West Lighthouse.

APC_2374-hdr.thumb.JPG.53cca63c0e8aa8a7c518bb56c25220ca.JPG

APC_2377-hdr.thumb.JPG.8b747b3c074def4ecf60a388d35146fe.JPG

For the cat lovers here, Hemingway had a thing for polydactyl cats...cats that have more than 5 toes.  There are currently 58 cats at the Hemingway House that more or less roam freely about the house and grounds.  Many are polydactyl.  Some were friendly...one jumped into my lap while I was sitting on a bench and started kneading.  Others wanted to be left alone.  Hemingway liked to name his cats after famous people.  Here is a picture of Joe DiMaggio having a drink.  As my daughters would say, he's boojie.

IMG_7979.thumb.jpg.1a21d23946d870556f191b08fbf46947.jpg

There is a 3=part documentary on Hemingway on pbs , I didn’t think it was Ken Burns , but it was very interesting, been to his house a couple of times . 

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

The pool area was originally a boxing ring and Hemingway did not want a pool, because he had the largest pool available a few blocks away (the ocean).  His wife Pauline (wife number 2 of 4, I think) wanted a pool and had it installed while Hemingway was away. 

Did you find Hemmingway’s last penny at the pool?  We did. 

FFE86D46-5008-4653-9334-FA63E2A85F7D.thumb.jpeg.cd7f71132cc693a03654a3a18a3c74ab.jpeg

It was said when he found out she spent $20,000 for the pool, he said “Here, take my last penny”

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

We are going to drive to Galveston for our Oct. cruise and I want to go to Buc-ee's to see what it's all about. I've heard so much about it. What do you recommend food wise to get. I hear they have some good stuff.

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

We were told that the Ken Burns documentary about Hemingway does go into more detail about him, including his mental illnesses.  I plan to watch the documentary now to learn more. 

The Ken Burns documentary is great. Did you make it to Sloppy Joes?

44 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Lunch was at the Seaside Cafe, "home of the world famous lobster pizza".  Since their lobster pizza is world famous, we had to get it. 

You had me at lobster. That does sound so good. Great review.

• Like 3

Today is the day. The final Sea Dog  and wife Linda's retirement party. It should be a blast with lot's of people. It will be at a bar downtown KC that was a block from our old station building. We spent a lot of time there over the years and know the 2 generations of owners. Linda and I got engaged there and Joe the owner provided the bar at our wedding reception. Good people. I'll post a couple of pictures later.

Got two slide shows that will be showing in the background. One of my career and the other of our cruise. The cruise slideshow is over 10 minutes long. Haven't made the final count I but I know I shot over a thousand pictures.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

We did 3 days in Key West, a really long time ago and stayed at the Casa Marina. I liked that place a lot.
(After that we have been several times on cruise ships).

Would love to do a drive down again. And would love to try and fit in the Dry Tortugas during a longer stay. Have been thinking about it a lot. Key West has its charm!
I remember there used to be a ferry from Fort Meyers (?) to KW.

You mentioned a couple of reasons why we may go back.  We didn't make it to the Dry Tortugas and we'd like to try the ferry from Fort Meyers.  That would be fund with a group of people.

42 minutes ago, George C said:

There is a 3=part documentary on Hemingway on pbs , I didn’t think it was Ken Burns , but it was very interesting, been to his house a couple of times . 

I wasn't sure that it was Ken Burns but the PBS website says it was made by Burns and Lynn Novick.  I've liked the other Ken Burns documentaries that I've watched.  He has a unique, entertaining, and educational style.

14 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Did you find Hemmingway’s last penny at the pool?  We did. 

FFE86D46-5008-4653-9334-FA63E2A85F7D.thumb.jpeg.cd7f71132cc693a03654a3a18a3c74ab.jpeg

It was said when he found out she spent $20,000 for the pool, he said “Here, take my last penny”

Yup, found it.  Embedded in the concrete by a post near the pool.  

11 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Did you make it to Sloppy Joes?

Yes, and a few other places.  Details coming.

• Like 5