Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Today marks 43 years since my Dad died at the age of 61.  He was a Foreman working on the 2nd Avenue Subway project when he fell down 25 feet, head first.  He was a very healthy, strong man who never smoked in his life.  He remained in a coma for a week before finally passing, which was a Blessing, due to his extensive injuries.  

How heartbreaking for those who loved him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

But there are still questions that I wish I had asked my mom.❤️

I don't have any unanswered questions. But I was just so used to calling her to tell her stuff, almost daily. And I miss that. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, h20skibum said:

After I got ducked yesterday, we made a trip through the mall near @LionesssSue’s house.  

Now, I have never been a fan of those generic mannequins with half a head missing.  Express seems to use them for all their displays. When I looked in their storefront window at the men’s shirts, I saw this. 

IMG_1077.thumb.jpeg.1cde5ad51b02f5a09dfade11ad711358.jpeg

Now, something just seemed off.  Maybe if someone can figure it out, they could Point out what it is.  

Are those supposed to be pecks? 🤷🏼‍♀️

6 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Forget the nails. How about a 3 carrot diamond for the light house lamp. 😂

I’ll supply the polish, but someone else will have to supply the purse and diamond. I like your idea of bling much better than what I had in mind.

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, h20skibum said:

So we did get a Ricky update yesterday from his blood test.  Numbers were up over 30, so that was good.  

Now he gets his steroid dose cut in half, and he just has to finish antibiotics.  Then, another blood test next week to monitor how things are going.  

He does seem to be acting almost normal.  (Well, normal for him)

That’s great to hear.

5 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Today marks 43 years since my Dad died at the age of 61.  He was a Foreman working on the 2nd Avenue Subway project when he fell down 25 feet, head first.  He was a very healthy, strong man who never smoked in his life.  He remained in a coma for a week before finally passing, which was a Blessing, due to his extensive injuries.  

That’s terrible, sorry for your loss.

3 hours ago, George C said:

My wife found her dad dead in there living room when she was 13 years old , very sorry about your dad . I was extremely lucky both my parents lived to there 90’s .

That must have been awful for your wife as a child.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Who needs a little Lucy fix. This was her acting up about 30 minutes ago. Thankfully I still have all my fingers. 

So cute, she needs to use the slide. 😸

8 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Congratulations on his pitching last night, and on his team's first win of the Season.

Glad to hear Ricky is doing so well!

+ 1 Mark @h20skibum

8 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

What a tragic death, Maryann.  The anniversaries are always difficult but I hope the memories of him bring you comfort.  

+ 1 Maryann @Luckynana 

7 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Boy, Lucy was giving you a run for your money!😉

+1 Andrew .... I assume when asking for treats, she's behaving.... 😉 @A&L_Ont

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

That must have been awful for your wife as a child.

+1  @George C

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Liz was quite ridiculous with her outburst.  How does one even decide to go on this show when you have so many food allergies??  

Venus is another story.....

This is true about the blindsides.  I would've liked to have the other person sent home, though.  I'm so done with that one.

However, the one who went home thought they were running things and might be harder to get out later. The other one will be easy to get out when they are ready unless immunity is involved.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Talking about parents who have passed away , my mother's story as a child is terrible sad.  Her farm worker father died when she was about five and the family with three under 5's lost their tied farm cottage. Her mother married again in haste to a wrong'un and sadly took her own life when mum was 9.  There was no social services or government help in the '30s. It was either the workhouse or farmed out to other relatives.  She was lucky she was taken in by an aunt but didn't see her siblings again until she was an adult.  At 14 she had to earn her own living.  But she never complained and was the sweetest most loving mum anyone could wish for.

At 48 she achieved her lifelong dream of becoming a nurse. 

She inspires me so much and I miss her every day. 

This is her wedding day in 1955

20240502_105346.thumb.jpg.59a7ed8417ee58fb8527c9c8abe9cff7.jpg

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I was sorry to read this about your dad.  It is difficult when we lose a parent, especially at a young age. Susan’s dad passed away 42 years ago at the age of 53.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Talking about parents who have passed away , my mother's story as a child is terrible sad.  Her farm worker father died when she was about five and the family with three under 5's lost their tied farm cottage. Her mother married again in haste to a wrong'un and sadly took her own life when mum was 9.  There was no social services or government help in the '30s. It was either the workhouse or farmed out to other relatives.  She was lucky she was taken in by an aunt but didn't see her siblings again until she was an adult.  At 14 she had to earn her own living.  But she never complained and was the sweetest most loving mum anyone could wish for.

At 48 she achieved her lifelong dream of becoming a nurse. 

She inspires me so much and I miss her every day. 

This is her wedding day in 1955

20240502_105346.thumb.jpg.59a7ed8417ee58fb8527c9c8abe9cff7.jpg

Thank you for sharing this story with us.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I'm so sorry to hear about your late dad's tragedy at work Maryann.

Prayers 🙏 and good wishes on his 43rd memory in heaven.

rest-in-peace.gif

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

My arm is a bit sore.  They took blood for normal stuff but the shingles shot has a bit of a kick. 

My arm was sore for 2 weeks.  Localized about the size of 2 inches round. 
I could not lay on that arm. 

The same thing happened with the RSV vaccine.  The only side effects were pain for a couple weeks at injection site. 

Glad you got the vaccine for shingles. 
I had shingles in my 20’s after a miscarriage. It wasn’t pretty. 

Be safe. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

The one thing I have learned is that there are days that you have a question that you would like to ask them as they are the only ones who know the answer and you can’t get your question answered. I wished I would have asked more questions of my parents.

10 hours ago, Luckynana said:

You are so right about questions we wish we could ask.  I think that may be one of the reasons that our daughters gifted both Jim and I with the subscription to our own Storyworth book with question suggestions that we could write about.  For example, "what was your mom like when you were a child?  What was your 21st birthday like?  etc.  I finally finished my book with 52 stories for our daughters and grandchildren to read.

Thank you so much, Bonnie.😘

I know when I started my book on our family tree, there were several things I found that I wish I could have asked my parents, or that Susan could have asked hers.  It seems that no one in the family was aware of certain things.  One, was that my one grandfather had a marriage prior to my grandmother.  If my mother, or her sister knew, it was never shared.

Another was a prior marriage of Susan’s grandfather, and the son he had from that marriage.  And it seems like some things are closely held secrets, for what ever reason.  After discovering this, and asking one of Susan’s aunts, she was aware but never shared, even though she kept asking what I had found. 

My self imposed timeline to finish my book has passed, but it is nearly finalized.  I have reached a point to where I am conflicted about what I should include about a few of the living relatives.  Since the book will be primarily for my kids and grandkids, do I include things about prior marriages and/or children of those relatives?  There are things that are not talked about, and my kids are probably not aware of them.  

Thank goodness that neither Susan or I have any deep dark secrets about us.  At least that’s what she claims. 

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

It is 56°F and partly sunny here.

I'm resting in our summer house.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

IMG_20240502_122106.jpg

What a beautiful sunny room.  Is your summer house a separate building, a room, or a different house in a different location?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Much larger vessel !! One might even call it a large Yacht. Probably 2 or 3 million $$$$

20240501_123854.jpg

That looks like a 68’ Absolute Navetta.  You can pick one up for around $3.3 million.

Here is one that shows some photos inside.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2024-absolute-navetta-68-9033100/

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

My self imposed timeline to finish my book has passed, but it is nearly finalized.  I have reached a point to where I am conflicted about what I should include about a few of the living relatives.  Since the book will be primarily for my kids and grandkids, do I include things about prior marriages and/or children of those relatives?  There are things that are not talked about, and my kids are probably not aware of them.  

You pose an interesting question. What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to hand down a true family history to the best of your ability or a feel good family story? Only you can decide the answer to that question. Keep in mind that what you do not share may be gone forever after you go.

My grandmother brought me to Italy for the first time when I was about 12 yo. to introduce me to that side of the family and she did her best over the years to impart to me our family history as best she could. I'm forever grateful for that. I no longer have her to fill in any blanks.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

IMG_4356.thumb.jpeg.95555bf5e334a1402b059d793c6b6a17.jpeg

Well sitting on the tarmac waiting for a storm to blow through  good thing I have a 3 hour layover in Baltimore.

IMG_4357.thumb.png.f4dd22fbca12b879b205b9a73d9bf850.png

That happened to me once flying home from a cruise from FLL. My two hour Baltimore layover turned into 10 minutes to run from one gate to the next.

Have a fun trip and don't be confused when there isn’t a cruise ship at the other end of the flight.😇

• Like 3
  • Haha 15

36 minutes ago, Keksie said:

What a beautiful sunny room.  Is your summer house a separate building, a room, or a different house in a different location?

You can see in this photo.

Our conservatory is the first building and our Summer house around the corner.

They are both attached to our house.

We can access the conservatory from inside and outside but the summer house ( Garden room) is accessed from outside only.

Screenshot_20210908_202355.jpg

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

That happened to me once flying home from a cruise from FLL. My two hour Baltimore layover turned into 10 minutes to run from one gate to the next.

Have a fun trip and don't be confused when there isn’t a cruise ship at the other end of the flight.😇

I hope a dash through the airport doesn’t happen with my knees. Wish I was getting on a ship.

• Like 6

Just now, Sea Dog said:

I hope a dash through the airport doesn’t happen with my knees. Wish I was getting on a ship.

I wish I was getting on a ship, too!😁

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

You can see in this photo.

Our conservatory is the first building and our Summer house around the corner.

They are both attached to our house.

We can access the conservatory from inside and outside but the summer house ( Garden room) is accessed from outside only.

Screenshot_20210908_202355.jpg

That is so beautiful.  I love a lot of light and those rooms.look like wonderful places to sit and knit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1