Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

17 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Thank you Maryann! It’s after 1:30am and I just got through cleaning up. I am very anal about not leaving a mess. Everyone had a fantastic time. 

IMG_4652.thumb.jpeg.2cdb9c21afeee6fc885d2bfbf4566b64.jpeg

These coworkers of mine have over 150 years in journalism and are the tops in the business. 

IMG_4663.thumb.jpeg.99088e78fe2123fbdf332cae7d18c463.jpeg

Our main anchor Kris had never really had Tiki cocktails before and loved them. I also showed him my bourbon collection and I brought out the Pappy Van Winkle for him to taste for the first time. Needless to say he was impressed. 

Sorry no food pics as I was so busy preparing everything but we had as appetizers 

Pita and Hummus 

Crab Rangoon

Crackers and spinach artichoke dip

Main courses were a

Fruit Medley 

Asian Salad

Coconut Shrimp

Fried Chicken Wings and Drumsticks 

Hawaiian Sweet Roll Ham and Cheese Sliders

and for dessert we had

Coconut Cream Pie

Chocolate French Silk

IMG_4653.thumb.jpeg.d63511dee3b068153d9dde3270d7376d.jpeg

Everyone seemed to love my cocktails. Thank goodness I pre batched some of them because tiki cocktails are very complex with lots of ingredients. The most popular were the Painkiller, The Mai Tai where I use the ultimate Mai tai recipe and the monkeys eyebrow a cocktail from the Golden Tiki in Las Vegas that has Rye Whiskey and Banana Whiskey in it.

IMG_4654.thumb.jpeg.632b3436062ace10de3cd233df74e9ee.jpeg

The Tiki Patio was a hit. The weather was perfect with a nice cool breeze.

IMG_4655.thumb.jpeg.57b36354a8603036eb4140722c046095.jpeg

IMG_4657.thumb.jpeg.2210a68d0fdc724a5e8b368a8c22d737.jpeg

IMG_4659.thumb.jpeg.86e6bf19b82f9384ffa5bef23a72f72b.jpeg

IMG_4660.thumb.jpeg.cd4890eb3047cb04e35dd84c00fd88fd.jpeg

IMG_4661.thumb.jpeg.83c9a2c525ec71503088cd41df522ad3.jpeg

So now I am exhausted. Being a host is a lot of work but making my guests happy is always my goal.Linda does a great job helping me in other ways but I am the only one who really knows how to make the cocktails. I think a nap tomorrow will be in order.

Did I mention there's a house for sale on my street? 

Love your back yard ambiance!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

Thanks. Yes. NYC is expensive but that's the price of doing business. But I got some Groupon deals for 50% off pizza deal and some macarons tomorrow.

There are a few .99 cent Pizza joints around where you can get a slice for...not 99 cents but for $1.29. (Supply chain, pandemic, minimum wage, etc. The usual excuses).

Be forewarned,  it will taste like what you think a .99 cent slice would taste like. Think Sorrento's @ 2 am 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

There are a few .99 cent Pizza joints around where you can get a slice for...not 99 cents but for $1.29. (Supply chain, pandemic, minimum wage, etc. The usual excuses).

Be forewarned,  it will taste like what you think a .99 cent slice would taste like. Think Sorrento's @ 2 am 😁

You get what you pay for . Lots of great reasonable places to eat in New York, don’t need to spend a fortune for a great meal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

It is really a simple one.   We just use this mix, and add the blueberries to it.

IMG_7125.thumb.jpeg.a7efc44693ac6b83545fb9df09aa7916.jpeg

I have used this mix forever, and add to it.  I think the first one I made I just added a can of peaches to it.   It became a favorite of all the kids.  I think it may have discovered it in that classic book called “A Man, A can, A Plan”

IMG_7126.jpeg.30d9ec7bf072ea566f0061542868c71a.jpeg

Sometimes those simple things turn out good.  

Thank you! The easier the better. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Keksie said:

Amelia Island questions.  For a little get away (2 full days) where is the place to stay July or August.  What is not to be missed?

If you could stay three nights…which you’d really need to do to have two full days…look at VRBO.  We used to rent oceanfront condos all the time for three nights.  Much cheaper than the resorts and you have a full condo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have a friend with a house on amelia island. Maybe this winter we can all get together.

I took off the tags on those throw rugs I got in the bath mat section. I'd say ooops not going to last. Clean: spot treatment only. In other words they cant be washed, but will do for now. I'll have to google micro fiber bath mats some day. At least for now I wouldn't slip and fall on all those slippery tiles. Still stuff to do. A little each day. 

Did I mention the elevators. There is no freight elevator. My plan was to bring my old one and look around and find something classy that reclines and all that. Before my movers arrived a neighbor warned me a sofa wouldnt fit in the elevator... almost but not quite. This old one was carried up 8 flight of stairs with lifting it over hand rails all the way up.

This one is very light weight. Those motion ones are not. A new sofa and love seat will be a issue. I need to be 110% sure before I decide. Ain't going to be cheap to get it up here. I cant believe we are replacing both elevators but werent willing to raise the cab to make a higher ceiling. The elevator guys I talked to said raising the cab in the elevator costs a lot. I wish they had added that in to the cost. Seems like a defect to me. But those on lower floors maybe not so much of a issue. Already raised my hoa here to cover replacing both elevators, a little more might have been worth thinking about. People come here and never leave! The guy who lived here bought when it was new in 1991 and died living here. His trust sold it. He was a original owner.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

If you could stay three nights…which you’d really need to do to have two full days…look at VRBO.  We used to rent oceanfront condos all the time for three nights.  Much cheaper than the resorts and you have a full condo.

That is my thinking.  That way we could bring stuff for breakfast.  We would be staying 3 nights.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, George C said:

Great pictures, I lived in New York City for over 30 years and have visited it about 50 times since moving but never did Ellis island definitely need to try to fit that in on a future trip, also never visited Empire State Building. 

Thanks for the kind words.

If you plan to see Ellis Island, also try to book the Statue of Liberty crown visit. It's no extra cost versus general admission but you need to book it at least 3 months out. 

I couldn't get it as we didn't decide on the exact dates until late but that's something need to be able to climb up to the top of the crown. We only booked the pedestal view that gets you half way.

Ellis island was very interesting. They talked about how the early immigrants were processed when they got off the ships from Europe.  Not very friendly welcome for some.

Here are few pics from Ellus Island as we as the Statue in case you or others are interested in going.

20240630_152108.thumb.jpg.fff6cffd5987e61542f635b9af173dc1.jpg

20240630_152727.thumb.jpg.dfb6c14395a5daff3307faf40e97ac79.jpg

20240630_153437.thumb.jpg.9a794e5acd8c9adb0b9f62f3dd3276e6.jpg

20240630_153608.thumb.jpg.19913ef3806226d24ee158974d047776.jpg

20240630_154029.thumb.jpg.f796b008e899627871b7218b427fee52.jpg

20240630_125203.thumb.jpg.14f7d22962f9b469d54ad8598618881f.jpg

20240630_161517.thumb.jpg.583f7c14a5398ba2bcd16c3854011f0d.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Thanks for the money saving tip.

There's a $1.50 slice pizza joint about a block from our hotel. But I don't see myself eating there.

At my age, saving a couple bucks to have lower quality food is no longer a top priority because as one gets older, we have to deal with heartburn and acid reflux and cholesterol and the list goes on.

If I was still in college, the cheap pizza would be my regular meal. I used to go to Costco for lunch with coworkers in the old days for $1.50 hot dog and drinks combo. My old body can't take that type of good anymore...

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I always get the early bird extra when flying Southwest. I can't sit in a middle seat.  

When you start looking for your flight to San Diego look at Alaska Air...  They have direct flights from San Diego -> to Orlando.  I really like Alaska and have had good success with them.  The only problem is they don't have as many as often or to as many places as the all the big airlines.  Service is good though

Our mutual travel agent mentioned that Panama Canal cruise to me too.  It was tempting but October is always a very busy month so I couldn't take advantage of the good prices.

We use SW all the time for domestic flights. We do always add early bird.  With SW you don’t want to get in the C group.  That’s usually single seats and you may have to check that carry on. 

We were offered that Panama cruise too. Great rate but right now that’s marching band season for our grandson.  So unless he quits or until he graduates we trying to keep October free. Marching band competitions are a big deal in Texas. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Love your backyard Sue. Very leafy and green and bonus of seeing a happy Molly & her ball.

Those trugs made by Gary for fundraising look great.  No wonder he got plenty of orders.

Excellent that a historian is cycling with them to those sombre locations.  Weather looks lovely.  Hope he gets to rest & refresh before getting back on the bike.  

Ah thanks Aussie 😊 

We had a lot of rain this spring.  The grass is covered with paint at mo. 

Yesterday they had stops at Omaha, Utah and other sites such as the American Memorial and Hill 108, known in America as Purple Heart Hill 💜 😔

He sent me a very poignant video clip of their stop at the American Cemetery at Omaha.

Over 90 miles ride.

Last night they stayed in Bayeux which I hope to visit on our Serenade cruise later this month.

Today starts at Bayeux English Cemetery and moves onto Gold, Sword and Juno beach. Gold and Sword were the landing sites for the British troops and Juno for the Canadian troops.  Gary says the historian is excellent and brings the past to life.

They finish today at Caen for a last dinner together and then the overnight ferry back to Portsmouth.

Gary and his riding buddy

IMG-20240630-WA0008.thumb.jpg.9c46ba66a458e0410062408f256ea231.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, h20skibum said:

It is really a simple one.   We just use this mix, and add the blueberries to it.

IMG_7125.thumb.jpeg.a7efc44693ac6b83545fb9df09aa7916.jpeg

I have used this mix forever, and add to it.  I think the first one I made I just added a can of peaches to it.   It became a favorite of all the kids.  I think it may have discovered it in that classic book called “A Man, A can, A Plan”

IMG_7126.jpeg.30d9ec7bf072ea566f0061542868c71a.jpeg

Sometimes those simple things turn out good.  

I love Krusteaz waffle mix. Do you know the history of the company? In the Great Depression a group of housewives needed to make money. The thing they knew how to do was cook and bake. They developed a pie crust mix for restaurants because pie was fairly inexpensive to make and people could afford to buy it. The company thrived and it helped the women and their families survive the depression. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We use SW all the time for domestic flights. We do always add early bird.  With SW you don’t want to get in the C group.  That’s usually single seats and you may have to check that carry on

We use SW too and you are so right. We always early bird and even sometimes when we have connections we will upgrade to the first group if the price is right. I hear SW may be going to assignment seating which I would like. I don’t like the cattle call boarding system.

• Like 2

A question for those of you who have done B3B or longer cruises.  How do you handle your laundry?  Do you just have it done on the ship, or do you get off the ship and do it, then reboard?

We have done B2B, and just packed enough.  Don’t know I would trust Royal to clean anything other than socks and underwear. 

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We use SW too and you are so right. We always early bird and even sometimes when we have connections we will upgrade to the first group if the price is right. I hear SW may be going to assignment seating which I would like. I don’t like the cattle call boarding system.

If SW would go to assigned seats I would consider them again.  I really dislike the cattle call boarding.  We usually go with Delta since I want to see Atlanta's airport during every flight.  Lol just joking.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Keksie said:

If SW would go to assigned seats I would consider them again.  I really dislike the cattle call boarding.  We usually go with Delta since I want to see Atlanta's airport during every flight.  Lol just joking.

Here in Kansas City, SW has the most flights. I would like to fly on Delta but their prices are so much more than SW. when you add in bags fly free it’s really our only option. I will be very happy if they go to assigned seating. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

My guess would be that if they go to assigned seating that they will charge if you want to pick your seat. They will want to make up the income they lose from early bird somewhere. However, I would prefer that over the present system which I really dislike.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

My guess would be that if they go to assigned seating that they will charge if you want to pick your seat. They will want to make up the income they lose from early bird somewhere. However, I would prefer that over the present system which I really dislike.

Yes I agree. I figured they would do it to generate more income. In their first quarter of 2024 they had a net loss of $231 million so I’m not surprised that they would do something to make that up. I don’t mind paying a little bit more for assigned seating just don’t gouge me.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Keksie said:

Thank you.  Fort Clinch sounds good, a wander around town especially the lavender place and of course ice cream, plus some beach time.  I am leaning towards maybe a airbnb  place on the beach.  Will check out the historic section and restaurants.  This will be a short trip to see if this is some place we would want to spend more time at.  Thank you for all the information.

I love that lavender place, Pelindaba. I have been to the St Aug one many times in the past. Highly recommend their lavender bug spray. Assuming Pelindaba is still doing business. Some stores closed and no website anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We use SW all the time for domestic flights. We do always add early bird.  With SW you don’t want to get in the C group.  That’s usually single seats and you may have to check that carry on. 

We were offered that Panama cruise too. Great rate but right now that’s marching band season for our grandson.  So unless he quits or until he graduates we trying to keep October free. Marching band competitions are a big deal in Texas. 

I wanted to take the Panama cruise but October is fiber fest with my friends in NC.  Too many activities in the same month.  Yikes retirement is busy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3