Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Bon TexasNY-

The Lower East Side is definitely a part of Manhattan and an area rich in history. I would really like to see the Tenement Museum there. It is an actual tenement building with different apartments showing life as it was for various immigrants during different years  beginning in the late 1800s until the 1940s.

I grew up in Forest Hills and have lived in a small town on Eastern Long Island for almost forty years. We live in a beautiful area of beaches,wineries and farms, but I  am still a City girl at heart.

Craving a morning bagel is something I understand. When we spend time during the winter in Florida, we do miss a good bagel and pizza. I am told the lack of the important ingredient of City water affects the taste of bagels and pizza made outside of NYC.

When things return to normal, you may consider taking a cruise leaving from Manhattan,Brooklyn or Bayonne with a pre cruise visit to NYC. Plenty of bagels for breakfast during such a trip !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was a Dodgers fan from the first time I saw them in 1953 on TV.Even though I root for the Mets I still want to see the Dodgers do well.I was not outraged when they went to California as I never saw the Dodgers in person ,even though as I posted to Dave ,I lived 5 blocks from Ebbets Field .Your BIL lived a lot further as we previously discussed on the other board.😀

Your memory is better than mine!

34 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Bon TexasNY-

The Lower East Side is definitely a part of Manhattan and an area rich in history. I would really like to see the Tenement Museum there. It is an actual tenement building with different apartments showing life as it was for various immigrants during different years  beginning in the late 1800s until the 1940s.

I grew up in Forest Hills and have lived in a small town on Eastern Long Island for almost forty years. We live in a beautiful area of beaches,wineries and farms, but I  am still a City girl at heart.

Craving a morning bagel is something I understand. When we spend time during the winter in Florida, we do miss a good bagel and pizza. I am told the lack of the important ingredient of City water affects the taste of bagels and pizza made outside of NYC.

When things return to normal, you may consider taking a cruise leaving from Manhattan,Brooklyn or Bayonne with a pre cruise visit to NYC. Plenty of bagels for breakfast during such a trip !

Our daughter lives in NJ and she knows to have her house stocked with bagels and is well prepared for the trips to the local pizza joint, when we visit.  We never thought of a NY cruise since we have so many people to visit.  It IS a thought now since we don't work and can get away for more than a week.

Sounds like you're way out on the island, maybe Montauk, the Hamptons, etc. Must get awfully crowded in the summer.  Beautiful part of the state.

I never had an interest to tour the Tenement Museum since growing up I had friends/relatives who lived in tenements, railroad flats.  I remember they were dark and I was thankful I didn't live in one

And please, call me Bonnie.

@A&L_Ont Congratulations to Owen on his graduation and of course to the proud parents as well.  Can you believe he's as tall as you, and taller than Lisa? 

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 2

Bonnie

Since your daughter lives in Jersey, a cruise from Bayonne could be convenient for you. Both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have cruises leaving from that port. 

We live on the North Fork of LI, the opposite side of the Island from the Hamptons. When we moved here, I was so homesick for Forest Hills- missing friends, stores and favorite places. Gradually, I became accustomed to our area,made new friends and found favorite places here. 

I watch the Marvelous Mrs.Maisel on Netflix. I was surprised to see that her in-laws moved from Manhattan to FH. Actually, the house used as their house in the series is very familiar to me. I think I must have passed it many,many times. 

You are correct. Our quiet town has gradually become more crowded,not only in the Summer, but also in the Fall where the wineries and pumpkin farms are the major attraction. Since Covid, we have experienced a boom in the real estate market with prices of houses escalating coupled with a lack of housing inventory. Apparently, people left the City for more peaceful living in our area. Since most people were working from home and children were learning remotely, people could move here and continue with their jobs and schooling.

I hope that you can visit your daughter soon. With Covid numbers dropping in the tri-State area and the number of vaccines increasing, I am encouraged that my DH and I can  begin to visit family and friends we haven’t seen since March 2020. We are even considering a cruise for 2023 as we will be celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary then. Time will tell !

MJ

Edited by MJSailors
  • Like 3

On 6/18/2021 at 10:34 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

Happy Birthday week/ weekend.  My birthday is monday the 21st.  Usually first day of summer but that is thec10th this year.  I cannot believe I will be 55.  Uggghh!!!

Happy Early Birthday. Just remember it’s only just a number. 🎉🥂🍾

• Like 3

17 hours ago, mo&fran said:

Well, this will not be a routine day in lockdown.  We are getting packed for our 50 minute flight from FLL to Nassau. Our driver is picking us up at 1130 , and will be in plenty of time for our 340 takeoff. JetBlue says to arrive 3 hours before an international flight. Our arrival time to check-in for the ship is 530. WE booked a GTY and ended up in 6622,  nice location close to the aft elevators. Tonight we sleep on the ship.

Our last cruise was on Serenade , ending Feb 10, 2020. It was a B2B, 10 and 11 nights, so we did get 21 days in 2020.

💃🏼 🎉 🥂 🍾 🍹 💃🏼 Hope you enjoyed your first day on the ship. We want info and pictures if you have the time. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Micheline was supposed to be a boy and supposed to be named Michael, after her father's good friend.  They made a slight name change when she ended up being a girl.  We occasionally meet someone who knows someone with the same name, but it's rare.  We did find this place in Paris:image.thumb.png.873e71d0f63cce16432fec3543a17369.png

Lovely lady.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Stone cold sober on the former Mario thread last night. Bella was egging me on

Same here, except it was Ace that was egging me on. 🤣 I was having fun with it last night. Looked for it earlier and poof it’s gone. So much for having fun. Wonder who’s going to start the next Mario thread? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Party day today for us.  It's a combination b-day party for me (June 16), b-day party for my daughter (June 22), father's day party for all dads, and neighborhood going away party (since we're outta here on the 25th!).  It was supposed to be in our backyard using the pool but we had a nasty storm roll through last night, with more storms predicted for later today.  If we get lucky, the rain will hold off until after the party ends.  If not, we'll be inside a mostly empty house using rented folding tables and chairs. 😁

Birthday Wishes for everyone.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

As we were wrapping up Lisa starting getting a lot of notifications on her phone. Today was Owen’s unofficial non school associated photo get together.  It was all out doors, with 7 groups of kids arriving every 30 minutes getting individual photos. The photographer will merge all the students together into one photo.

Well the rain forecast for tonight changed to late afternoon.  We all had an hour to get ready for a sooner start time. No delays with three quick showers.  Owen was all dressed up and ready to go. 

Drive up diploma at the school is later this week. 

498BA88E-2BD2-4132-BE6E-09E8357CD728.thumb.jpeg.b09feb5c7d591fa771669323ee663610.jpeg

DF9C2F43-F0A4-4398-81E9-FD6B0AC02E02.thumb.jpeg.416677eed3aa913e3e730695e00c1dbf.jpeg

Gifts bags were placed out waiting to be picked up. 

1811F5EB-359D-467B-82BC-F64C657BFFAC.thumb.jpeg.10d0eb0682e73fcfd3110ae7dd7f5a30.jpeg

Some cupcakes too. The boys swarmed them, the girls were much more reserved. Owen said they were tasty. 

384DA5D3-C305-41CB-82AD-D25B03743960.jpeg.4ec535266b17966991bc24d06674099c.jpeg

8DF7250C-5127-4A3F-8E64-FE616C1707D2.thumb.jpeg.5c3b23fc66b790664707b11388a2fa4d.jpeg

Each graduate got a gift bag with donations from local business, and parents also included funds to go toward them as well. 

The outside of the bag. 

D8E6836F-7524-4917-9E2B-C6525CD5E9E4.thumb.jpeg.5b1b9961f7c0da1dfd7c3da73f2fe7cb.jpeg

The goods inside.

820FC81B-C72B-48CD-8CAC-6FAECC156235.thumb.jpeg.4222d58f5a4bf08525d7903b32189757.jpeg

5164A25B-30FA-435F-9374-26CF74FF4233.thumb.jpeg.bd169444d62f1b903548ff0095e4a835.jpeg

Congratulations to Owen on his graduation.

Lovely photos of you all.

Lucy looks so peaceful and loveable.

Graham.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Micheline was supposed to be a boy and supposed to be named Michael, after her father's good friend.  They made a slight name change when she ended up being a girl.  We occasionally meet someone who knows someone with the same name, but it's rare.  We did find this place in Paris:image.thumb.png.873e71d0f63cce16432fec3543a17369.png

Nice name and lovely photo.

Graham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Happy belated anniversary -- many happy returns 🌷🌼

May the weather be with you 😉

Thanks Dani.  The weather was great.  Didn't rain at all and everyone had a great time.  We had a few long goodbyes at the end of the evening.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Same here, except it was Ace that was egging me on. 🤣 I was having fun with it last night. Looked for it earlier and poof it’s gone. So much for having fun. Wonder who’s going to start the next Mario thread? 

Probably Ace.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I am a bit “obsessed” when it comes to cars. I PPF wrap the entire front end of our cars, front quarters, A pillars, leading roof edge, mirrors, lower portions of doors and any other areas that have debris contact zones.  One is wrapped 100%.

I've been considering PPF for the front end of our new car.  Might also lightly tint the side windows.

Got home yesterday from a drive and found some bird poop on the hood.  It seems to have dulled or etched the clear coat...an area about the size of a dime.  We were already thinking of performing the cars first wax job, so we did that.  It may have helped a bit?  Not sure.  A neighbor recommended trying some polishing compound.  I also saw a YouTube video by a pro in a body shop, using a compound and an electric buffer that completely removed a similar spot.  

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!     Hope all Dad's get to do whatever they wish to do while enjoying time with their children.     

Heading out now for a nice long bike ride as the weather today is beautiful, then fly various kites on the beach and cook up Dad's favorite meal, scallops from Barnegat Bay/Viking Village before our Son leaves later today to go back home.     

• Like 4

11 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

As we were wrapping up Lisa starting getting a lot of notifications on her phone. Today was Owen’s unofficial non school associated photo get together.  It was all out doors, with 7 groups of kids arriving every 30 minutes getting individual photos. The photographer will merge all the students together into one photo.

Well the rain forecast for tonight changed to late afternoon.  We all had an hour to get ready for a sooner start time. No delays with three quick showers.  Owen was all dressed up and ready to go. 

Drive up diploma at the school is later this week. 

How nice they were able to put together a celebration. Congrats to the graduate.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SGTTUBA75 said:

Tampa/St Pete, Miami, Atlanta 3 (Hank too), Baltimore, Boston, NY (Yankees), Denver, Cincinnati, St Louis, Houston, Chicago (Cubs)

When I was younger and much more into baseball, I thought I'd want to visit every major league stadium.  I didn't get very far on the list and since it's been a few years, more than half of the stadiums that I've been to no longer exist.  My list of major league stadiums where I've seen games, starting with the "big 4"...

Fenway

Wrigley

Yankee (old one...demolished, shamefully)

Dodger

Exhibition (old Blue Jays...demolished, thankfully)

SkyDome (new Blue Jays, now called Rogers Centre)

Kingdom (old Seattle...imploded)

Veterans (old Phillies...imploded)

Three Rivers (old Pirates...imploded)

Riverfront (old Reds...imploded)

Great American Ball Park (new Reds)

Those round, concrete, multipurpose stadiums really were blah, and are pretty much interchangeable.  I find myself much less interested in baseball now. I'll probably attend a game or 2 somewhere in the future (Baltimore and Cleveland would be interesting) but my desire to attend games at all stadiums is long gone.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!     Hope all Dad's get to do whatever they wish to do while enjoying time with their children.     

Heading out now for a nice long bike ride as the weather today is beautiful, then fly various kites on the beach and cook up Dad's favorite meal, scallops from Barnegat Bay/Viking Village before our Son leaves later today to go back home.     

Sounds like a great day!

18 hours ago, jagsfan said:

We used to bring Nissen rolls back in the car, like 6 packages. Give a couple away and freeze the rest. 
Now Publix carries Pepperidge Farms split top rolls…I’ve been buying them for at least three years.

Our stadium concession stands started using them for hotdogs and we started getting hot dogs at every game. Then Publix started selling  them. I think they’re labeled Bakery Classic. 
I spread some butter on the outside and toast them in a frying pan. They turn hot dogs and shrimp rolls into gastronomic delights! Not low carb or low calorie, though!

Mmmm...thanks!  Sounds delicious!!  🙂 

18 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Outside of LLBean’s front door in Freeport is a hot dog cart. For many years we bought one on the way in and in the way out again. I don’t know why they’re so good, they just are!

I always thought they were called "Red Hots" due to being spicy...but just found out this year they are not.  Happy to finally find out why they are so popular.  😋

BTW...LLBean is my favorite store!  We have only been to the one in Freeport twice, but do visit the outlet in Ellsworth all the time when we are up here.  And when not up here...there is always online purchase!  😉  Love the "Big Boot" outside the main store.  😄 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2