Now for something completely different

17 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I got my "make an appointment" email today woohoo. I am scheduled for May 6th at 1700 hrs. I have no idea which vaccine it will be, at this point in time I really don't care.

Great news Lyle. How are the vaccinations being distributed to Canadians? Just wait until you are told to come in or in phases like here, where the most at risk either by age or occupation were given it first and so on or is it up to each provinicial government to decide? I saw a post on FB by a relative in her 30s who lives in rural Ontario that she had her first Covid shot in the last day or so. 

I read this article on the ABC website about what is happening in Ontario, particularly in Toronto at the moment - What Can Ontario Learn from Melbourne . I didn't realise it was so bad.

Leigh

Thanks Leigh. The vaccines are administered differently in each Province. Here in BC the roll out was rather confusing. Then it started to take shape. Elderly by age group living in elder care facilities got first dibs.. After a time those of a given age not in care were eligible for vaccine as well as indigenous peoples of a lower age group. Not long ago we got on line registration which made it quite easy to register and you got a registration number. After registration you wait to be contacted by email and there is a link to the appointments page where you give your registration number and personal health number and pick from the available appointments. There is a QR code that you print out and take it with you for your appointment. Some people were able to get the Astra Zeneca vaccines through some local Pharmacies. I remain hopeful that the broken deliveries of vaccine shipments is behind us.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Great news Lyle. How are the vaccinations being distributed to Canadians? Just wait until you are told to come in or in phases like here, where the most at risk either by age or occupation were given it first and so on or is it up to each provinicial government to decide? I saw a post on FB by a relative in her 30s who lives in rural Ontario that she had her first Covid shot in the last day or so. 

I read this article on the ABC website about what is happening in Ontario, particularly in Toronto at the moment - What Can Ontario Learn from Melbourne . I didn't realise it was so bad.

Leigh

My daughter used to work in Toronto, so keeps in touch with friends there, Leigh.  An Australian friend, who went to work in Toronto, on her recommendation, returned to Australia as soon as the virus got out of control.  Toronto is so close to the US, it is like living in the US.  Thanks for the link. 

19 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

My daughter used to work in Toronto, so keeps in touch with friends there, Leigh.  An Australian friend, who went to work in Toronto, on her recommendation, returned to Australia as soon as the virus got out of control.  Toronto is so close to the US, it is like living in the US.  Thanks for the link. 

I used to Work in Toronto too, but a different Toronto.

• Haha 1

Well the credit card bill came so we paid that off now we have paid the airfare 10 months ahead...again. Also one of the places we booked is "prepaid" so that is done too (it's through booking dot com) so it is still fully refundable. That happened on our last "plan" but we didn't know they would take full payment in advance; we cancelled that place back then. This time we knew it was pre-paid and accepted that. I hope the place is nice when we get there 🤔.

55 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Where was your Toronto?

On the shores of the Beautiful Lake MacQuarie, it was named after Lyle’s Toronto, when a Rower Edwin (or similar first name) Hanley visited to row on the Lake at the same time the township was being developed.

I grew up at Wangi about 10km away, went to Toronto High, started working at Woolies  Thursday night Sat Morning while finishing school, then in the Bank at Toronto. (Boy a lot of water under the bridge over the next 45 or so years).

19 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

On the shores of the Beautiful Lake MacQuarie, it was named after Lyle’s Toronto, when a Rower Edwin (or similar first name) Hanley visited to row on the Lake at the same time the township was being developed.

I grew up at Wangi about 10km away, went to Toronto High, started working at Woolies  Thursday night Sat Morning while finishing school, then in the Bank at Toronto. (Boy a lot of water under the bridge over the next 45 or so years).

Thanks.  Interesting, I didn't know we had an Australian Toronto.  Is it pronounced the same?

48 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well the credit card bill came so we paid that off now we have paid the airfare 10 months ahead...again. Also one of the places we booked is "prepaid" so that is done too (it's through booking dot com) so it is still fully refundable. That happened on our last "plan" but we didn't know they would take full payment in advance; we cancelled that place back then. This time we knew it was pre-paid and accepted that. I hope the place is nice when we get there 🤔.

Sounds like you are on a roll, Lyle.  Enjoy the planning and the anticipation. 

2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Sounds like you are on a roll, Lyle.  Enjoy the planning and the anticipation. 

Thanks Marion, Lynn is quite excited for Oz because of the people we have met on CC and the opportunity to meet some folks we have been talking to for so many months. I'm interested in all of it, in some ways this has been more than 40 years in the making. Way back in 1977 my best friend and I both applied to go on a long deployment with the Canadian Navy, we were in the Royal Canadian Sea Cadets. My buddy got the cruise and I didn't, it was a 3 month deployment. After all the yarns he spun I said back then some day I would get down there.

11 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks.  Interesting, I didn't know we had an Australian Toronto.  Is it pronounced the same?

Yep, though locals usually slur it to Tronna, or say it backwards OT No Rot.

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yep, though locals usually slur it to Tronna, or say it backwards OT No Rot.

And here was me thinking it was Tronno.🙄

Only 23.5km by road and 9km as the crow flies from my place.

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Marion, Lynn is quite excited for Oz because of the people we have met on CC and the opportunity to meet some folks we have been talking to for so many months. I'm interested in all of it, in some ways this has been more than 40 years in the making. Way back in 1977 my best friend and I both applied to go on a long deployment with the Canadian Navy, we were in the Royal Canadian Sea Cadets. My buddy got the cruise and I didn't, it was a 3 month deployment. After all the yarns he spun I said back then some day I would get down there.

In some ways I enjoy the planning as much as the actual trip.

33 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

In some ways I enjoy the planning as much as the actual trip.

I do as well, I'm starting to get into it now. It was more fun the first time around for this one. On the bright side the road trip that was on and off last time is back on now.

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I do as well, I'm starting to get into it now. It was more fun the first time around for this one. On the bright side the road trip that was on and off last time is back on now.

Yep not as much fun 2nd time around, we had a second circumnavigation planned early this year and wasn’t half as exciting as the first one, even though we were really looking forward to some of our “second choice” attractions.

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

Yep not as much fun 2nd time around, we had a second circumnavigation planned early this year and wasn’t half as exciting as the first one, even though we were really looking forward to some of our “second choice” attractions.

Well it was a drag we had to cancel the first try, there is one big up side though, when we do finally get down there we will have forged some new friendships and will have a chance to meet some new friends. As this has turned out our road trip changed direction and now we are on the better side of the road for the views and the parking pull outs.

8 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Hey we even got a TEXAS in NSW

And a Sydney like they have in Canada, lol.  Many, many British place names here after early settlers.

Newcastle, Croydon, Windsor, Liverpool and a thousand more.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

And here was me thinking it was Tronno.🙄

Only 23.5km by road and 9km as the crow flies from my place.

Nah ends in an “a”. Or just a short swim away. Daughter lived for a short while in Belmont and looked straight down the bay to Wangi Worker’s so if were 5* dining it there we could just wave.