Now for something completely different

Last post from me on the Djokovic matter I promise. I think his parents need to get a good Serbian to English translation book. His mother said that her son was tortured in Melbourne & his father said he was assassinated by the Australian government! I can only imagine it was a translation/misunderstanding issue with these words, or they are complete loonies who need a good dose of reality.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Last post from me on the Djokovic matter I promise. I think his parents need to get a good Serbian to English translation book. His mother said that her son was tortured in Melbourne & his father said he was assassinated by the Australian government! I can only imagine it was a translation/misunderstanding issue with these words, or they are complete loonies who need a good dose of reality.

I think it is a little of both, some things were Iost in translation  and they are a couple of crazies.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, NSWP said:

I wonder if the Australian Tennis Association running the tennis carnival had contacts in the government? Thus the visa granted initially.  Then it all turned into a nightmare like Ruby Princess, the agencies blaming each other. At least the 3 judges on Sunday got it right, upholding the Minister's decision to deport the joker.

I would not be surprised to find that the whole episode was a carefully timed saga from the minute he stepped off the plane to when he finally left. He was allowed to appeal, then he was told to go again carefully leaving just enough time for him to appeal again, and be rejected with enough time to catch a plane to Dubai on his way home the night before the match started. The final rejection was nothing to do with the rights or wrongs of the drama, just whether the Minister legally had the power to kick him out.

Edited by Russell21

16 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

France has stated that only fully vaccinated people (players, staff and spectators) will be allowed to enter the country for their Grand Slam tennis tournament in May.

Good policy.

I have been looking at the Aust Government website regarding visas for sports professionals. One interesting point is that applications have to be made months in advance because of the time taken to approve the visa. I can't see where there is any mention of COVID vaccination or COVID tests. I suggest that the issuance of a visa does not necessarily give a person the right to enter Australia. They can be refused at the border for many reasons. Currently one of these is that a person has to show proof of vaccination. This is clearly stated on the Aust Government website.

Apparently Novak Djokovic was aware of this, but it has been reported that he asked Tennis Australia for an exemption to vaccination on the grounds that he tested positive to COVID on 16th December. Tennis Aust gave him an exemption even though they had been advised in writing in November by the Fed Health Minister Mr Hunt that previous infection with COVID did not take the place of vaccination. I have to wonder why Novak Djokovic didn't apply to the Australian government for an exemption. 😉After all, they are the people in charge of allowing people to enter the country. I suggest that he applied to Tennis Aust because they had a vested interest in having him play at their tournament.

I feel that the 'blame' for this debacle has to be apportioned between Mr Djokovic and Tennis Australia.

• Like 2

Here is an extract from an Aust government website regarding a visa giving permission to enter the country.

You may not be able to enter Australia if you do not meet our health and character requirements.

Meet our health requirements

You need to meet our health requirement to get a visa to enter Australia. This applies to both permanent and temporary visa holders. You must be free from a disease or condition that:

I looks like a visa is just a pre-approval given on information given well in advance, but the final decision on whether or not someone can enter the country, is made at the border.

Edited by Aus Traveller

44 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

I would not be surprised to find that the whole episode was a carefully timed saga from the minute he stepped off the plane to when he finally left. He was allowed to appeal, then he was told to go again carefully leaving just enough time for him to appeal again, and be rejected with enough time to catch a plane to Dubai on his way home the night before the match started. The final rejection was nothing to do with the rights or wrongs of the drama, just whether the Minister legally had the power to kick him out.

I don't think the saga was carefully timed. It was badly handled.

After Novak Djokovic's first appeal was allowed, I think it would have been better if the Minister had let less time elapse before announcing the decision to once again revoke the visa. We don't know the reason for the delay. Was it in the hope the fuss would die down? Not likely. Was it so it would appear proper consideration was given to the matter? Maybe.

The Aust government website states that "previous infection with COVID-19 is NOT accepted for the purpose of a medical exemption for travel to Australia. For anyone wanting to read the detail, it is set out below.

Medical contraindication – Travellers coming to Australia

Travellers who do not have a medical contraindication recorded in the Australian Immunisation Register must provide a medical certificate that indicates they are unable to be vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine because of a medical condition.

The medical certificate must be provided by a registered medical practitioner (a doctor), be written in English, and must include the following information:

• your name (this must match your travel identification documents)
  • date of medical consultation and details of your medical practitioner (that is, your doctor)
  • details that clearly outline that you cannot have a COVID-19 vaccine because of a medical condition which means you cannot receive a COVID-19 vaccination (medical contraindication to COVID-19 vaccine).

Requirements for Medical contraindication

Medical conditions considered to be a contraindication to COVID-19 vaccination and accepted as reasons that you cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons for the purpose of travel to Australia include:

Permanent

• A previous anaphylaxis after a previous dose of a vaccine where no appropriate COVID-19 vaccine is available

Temporary

• For an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine, inflammatory cardiac illness within the past 3 months, e.g., myocarditis or pericarditis; acute rheumatic fever or acute rheumatic heart disease (i.e., with active myocardial inflammation); or acute decompensated heart failure.
  • For all COVID-19 vaccines:
    • Acute major medical condition (e.g. undergoing major surgery or hospital admission for a serious illness).
    • Treatment with anti-SARS-CoV-2 monoclonal antibody or convalescent plasma therapy in the previous 90 days
    • Any serious adverse event attributed to a previous dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, without another cause identified, and with no acceptable alternative vaccine available.
    • If the vaccinee is a risk to themselves or others during the vaccination process they may warrant a temporary vaccine exemption. This may include a range of individuals with underlying developmental or mental health disorders.

Conditions NOT considered to be a contraindication for COVID-19 vaccination and NOT accepted for the purpose of a medical exemption to vaccination for travel to Australia

• Chronic symptoms following COVID-19 ("Long COVID”).
  • Pregnancy
  • Previous infection with COVID-19 (PCR-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection).

People who have received non TGA approved or recognised vaccines should not be certified in this category and cannot be treated as vaccinated for the purposes of their travel.

Guidance on acute major medical conditions that warrant a temporary medical exemption to vaccination is at ATAGI Expanded guidance on temporary medical exemptions for COVID-19 vaccines (health.gov.au). Note that a previous infection with COVID-19 is not a contraindication to vaccination ATAGI advice on the definition of fully vaccinated (health.gov.au).

Penalties apply for providing false and misleading information to a Government official when entering Australia. For more information, please see COVID-19 and the border Australia Travel Declaration.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have been looking at the Aust Government website regarding visas for sports professionals. One interesting point is that applications have to be made months in advance because of the time taken to approve the visa. I can't see where there is any mention of COVID vaccination or COVID tests. I suggest that the issuance of a visa does not necessarily give a person the right to enter Australia. They can be refused at the border for many reasons. Currently one of these is that a person has to show proof of vaccination. This is clearly stated on the Aust Government website.

Apparently Novak Djokovic was aware of this, but it has been reported that he asked Tennis Australia for an exemption to vaccination on the grounds that he tested positive to COVID on 16th December. Tennis Aust gave him an exemption even though they had been advised in writing in November by the Fed Health Minister Mr Hunt that previous infection with COVID did not take the place of vaccination. I have to wonder why Novak Djokovic didn't apply to the Australian government for an exemption. 😉After all, they are the people in charge of allowing people to enter the country. I suggest that he applied to Tennis Aust because they had a vested interest in having him play at their tournament.

I feel that the 'blame' for this debacle has to be apportioned between Mr Djokovic and Tennis Australia.

Agree.  I was very disappointed how Tennis Australia handled the Novak saga.  Opening Rod Laver Court late at night, after the Govt's case was dismissed because of a technicality showed their true colours.  So glad I didn't go to Australian Open because of Covid this year.  

As I understand Visa Entry applications - the person applying for entry is solely responsible for the Visa, which is totally electronic. It is only checked if it is the right one, once the applicant lands in Australia, by airport Border staff. This is where I guess it fell apart for Mr D - when he was found to have the wrong details on his Visa - and he then commenced to defend his application, which was his right, but eventually he failed. 🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Agree.  I was very disappointed how Tennis Australia handled the Novak saga.  Opening Rod Laver Court late at night, after the Govt's case was dismissed because of a technicality showed their true colours.  So glad I didn't go to Australian Open because of Covid this year.  

I think some of Tennis Australia hierarchy are too big for their boots.  Heads should roll.

22 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I think some of Tennis Australia hierarchy are too big for their boots.  Heads should roll.

Who the he.. did Tennis Australia think they were that they could issue an exemption to an Australian government regulation. This is a rhetorical question to which there is no answer.🙂

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Apparently Novak Djokovic was aware of this, but it has been reported that he asked Tennis Australia for an exemption to vaccination on the grounds that he tested positive to COVID on 16th December. 

According to Djokovic his manager applied for his visa. So it would have technically been the manager who asked for the exemption, though Djokovic trying throw his manager under the bus clearly doesn't understand if your name is on the application it is your responsibility, not the person who fills it out😒.  

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

We had our Voyage to Straya wine night.  It seemed to go well, a great buzz in the room.   My favourite wine was the Mt Langhi Ghiran Cliff Edge Shiraz.

I'm glad it went well. Yes, that shiraz would indeed be very nice. It's a long time since I've had a Mt Langhi Ghiran wine but I did like them. What other wines did you have?

8 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

The irony is one day that will be a collectors item and worth a fortune😂

That thought crossed my mind. Geez, some people may prefer to buy it rather than the correct version.

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm glad it went well. Yes, that shiraz would indeed be very nice. It's a long time since I've had a Mt Langhi Ghiran wine but I did like them. What other wines did you have?

Angove Organic Rose, McGuigan Short List Cabernet, Pikes Traditionale Riesling, Tempus two Botrytised.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe the mis-printed Jubilee china won't be worth a fortune because there is too much of it.

If it was bought up by a single buyer they would have a choice of selling it all cheaply  or destroy 90% and sell the rest at a BIG mark-up.