Now for something completely different

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe the mis-printed Jubilee china won't be worth a fortune because there is too much of it.

Ā 

But what is made is all that will ever be made so already there is finite product. It is like the double rim $1 coin from 2000 they made 6000 of them and now each coin can be worth $300 to $5000šŸ˜‚.Ā 

1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Angove Organic Rose, McGuigan Short List Cabernet, Pikes Traditionale Riesling, Tempus two Botrytised.

I've had Pikes and Tempus Two wines before and enjoyed them but I've never been a fan of McGuigan's wines. Angove is a new one to me.

Ā 

Lately we've mostly been drinking Australian grown Italian varietals, plus we found a South Australian winery that makes their wines in a more European style which we like.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've had Pikes and Tempus Two wines before and enjoyed them but I've never been a fan of McGuigan's wines. Angove is a new one to me.

Ā 

Lately we've mostly been drinking Australian grown Italian varietals, plus we found a South Australian winery that makes their wines in a more European style which we like.

The wine guy said that the McGuigans Short List consist of some of their higher quality wines instead of the cheap stuff that everyone thinks of.Ā  He said it is hard for them to overcome their branding though.

1 minute ago, onlyslightlymad said:

The wine guy said that the McGuigans Short List consist of some of their higher quality wines instead of the cheap stuff that everyone thinks of.Ā  He said it is hard for them to overcome their branding though.

Yes, perhaps they need to have a different brand name for those wines.Ā 

Ā 

There are so many wineries in Australia these days, lots of variety to suit all tastes. I guess the same has happened in NZ since I moved to Aus .

For the first time in Oz, today I picked up a 4 bottle box of Sangria from Aldi.

The first time I bought Sangria was from an Aldi store in Leigh, England in 2011 while canal cruising. It was cheap and convenient. It was not long after drinking (and liking it) for the first time in a restaurant in Mooloolaba. It's a nice drop when consumed chilled, with a few ice cubes, on a hot day.Ā 

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Ā 

Angove is good wine. I've tried their Shiraz Cab and their Sauvignon Blanc. Didn't know they did a Rose, I would love to try it.Ā 

McGuigans export a lot of wine to the US market, and the Americans often like a sweeter wine, hence I find the McGuigan commercial wines a touch on the sweet side. Yellowtail wines from Griffith also export loads to the USA and I find their commercial wines a tad sweet. It might be just my taste.

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I've just been watching the Ladies slope style at the Olympics, what a cool event. Congratulations to the Kiwi rider who won Gold, The American silver and Ozzie Bronze. Alas our best Canadian was fourth.

Cheers everyone.

Wow congratulations to Kiwi rider who won Gold, American Silver and Aussie Bronze. Ā Canadian must have been disappointed to come fourth. Ā I've watched some top class ice skating. Ā 

I haven't really been glued to the Olympics, I just happened to see it was slopestyle and it is so cool to watch. Of course I'm not an expert soĀ  every trick landed is awesome to me. Several of the "new" events those introduced in the last few games are very watchable. I prefer event that don't involve "judges" to score although I understand not every event is "Fastest competitor wins" but I prefer those. Freestyle skiing and boarding events are "judged" sports I find fun and exciting. Figure skating was once a graceful and wonderful art. Now it is just a bunch of ticks strung together with little thought to the music or art. Of course our team is rebuilding our very best skaters have retired. How do you replace Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, I saw them perform their gold medal routine at an Ice Show here in Victoria. They were pure magic. Alas our team must move forward and let's see how they do.

On 2/4/2022 at 11:02 PM, ilikeanswers said:

Ā 

Angove is good wine. I've tried their Shiraz Cab and their Sauvignon Blanc. Didn't know they did a Rose, I would love to try it.Ā 

They are talking about wine in boxes on a show about Australian inventions.

Ā 

They told me that the original development was by Angoves in the early 60s. They could not perfect it and canned the idea.

Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I haven't really been glued to the Olympics, I just happened to see it was slopestyle and it is so cool to watch. Of course I'm not an expert soĀ  every trick landed is awesome to me. Several of the "new" events those introduced in the last few games are very watchable. I prefer event that don't involve "judges" to score although I understand not every event is "Fastest competitor wins" but I prefer those. Freestyle skiing and boarding events are "judged" sports I find fun and exciting. Figure skating was once a graceful and wonderful art. Now it is just a bunch of ticks strung together with little thought to the music or art. Of course our team is rebuilding our very best skaters have retired. How do you replace Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, I saw them perform their gold medal routine at an Ice Show here in Victoria. They were pure magic. Alas our team must move forward and let's see how they do.

Anyone standing after slopestyle should get a medal!Ā  I am actually watching and understanding curling..Yikes! The boarder from NewZ was amazing on her last ride! 30 days to my Princess cruise!!

18 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Anyone standing after slopestyle should get a medal!Ā  I am actually watching and understanding curling..Yikes! The boarder from NewZ was amazing on her last ride! 30 days to my Princess cruise!!

Ā 

Glad you have taken the time to understand curling...shuffleboard on ice. For some reason many Canadians excel at the sport and we are always in the hunt for medals.

I didn't see the whole event just the last few final runs, they were the best runs of the day for the Canadian, Ozzie and Kiwi. The American girl did her best run earlier in the day.

Where are you cruising to Brandee? Ours is Pacific Coastal on Viking Orion in early April.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Ā 

Glad you have taken the time to understand curling...shuffleboard on ice. For some reason many Canadians excel at the sport and we are always in the hunt for medals.

I didn't see the whole event just the last few final runs, they were the best runs of the day for the Canadian, Ozzie and Kiwi. The American girl did her best run earlier in the day.

Where are you cruising to Brandee? Ours is Pacific Coastal on Viking Orion in early April.

Shuffleboard on ice..exactly.Ā  I play shuffleboard as bad as I ski and skate, so I am amazed by it all.

Ā 

I am doing a 20 day Caribbean cruise. beginning of March on the new Enchantment.Ā  It was booked June 2020 and with all the OBC Princess gave us for the interrupted and cancelled Ruby NZ/Fiji cruise, plus getting a 50% refund on our airfare from that cruise , we are going free.Ā  There are some islands that have covid restrictions, such as only ship tours and some islands, like Turks and Caicos wants testing two days prior, and some islands just closed.Ā  I respect all their decisions and very lucky we can go anywhere.

Ā 

Our friends are on the Caribbean Princess doing a b2b, and the first week was 940 passengers.Ā  Not sure how Princess can stay in business. Not even enough to cover gas money!! Of course, I am concerned about testing two days prior since omicron can surprise you! We also have to test mid way into cruise.

Ā 

Omicron is decreasing in NY but still high numbers in US.Ā  NY still has mask mandate and NYC has vaccination rules for attending plays, concerts..going to work.

Ā 

Next week will be the first time I can go toĀ  grandchildren'sĀ indoor sporting event. Mask and limited seating!.Ā Ā 

Ā 

So much controversy over masks and vaccinations, I have almost given up reading the news.Ā  Or speaking to some people I know...We start isolation two weeks before cruise and will isolate after when we come home, plus be tested.Ā 

Ā 

Some people think I am crazy to go cruising and I really can't argue, but so far it is still a go!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Docker123 said:

They are talking about wine in boxes on a show about Australian inventions.

Ā 

They told me that the original development was by Angoves in the early 60s. They could not perfect it and canned the idea.

Ā 

I don't think canned wine would be okay

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2022 at 6:30 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, perhaps they need to have a different brand name for those wines.Ā 

Ā 

There are so many wineries in Australia these days, lots of variety to suit all tastes. I guess the same has happened in NZ since I moved to Aus .

I thought you might like to see a pic of dessert.Ā  Tim tam and white chocolate cheesecake with raspberry lamington topping.

IMG_1759.jpeg

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I thought you might like to see a pic of dessert.Ā  Tim tam and white chocolate cheesecake with raspberry lamington topping.

IMG_1759.jpeg

That looks alright with a big scoop of ice cream on the side.

• Like 2