The Choice Is Yours

jetsfan58

Lately, we have seen a lot of topics via this Cruise Critic forum. They all have been very informative and timely. In keeping with that tradition, I would like to visit another part of the Cruise experience. Due to all of the buzz concerning Covid, Ports, Safety, Mask and Food, etc. when we do start cruising again Will You:

Fly to the Port, Drive to the Port, Stay in a Hotel Pre Cruise and/or Dine out Pre Cruise?  

Your responses are greatly appreciated!!!

"Smooth Sailing" Whenever we can start saying that again!! 

Drive to Galveston the morning of.   It's about a 2 hr drive / ferry ride so we leave EARLY to beat the crowd & spend some time walking around the Strand on Galveston Island.   Lots of shops & wonderful places to eat.   And that helps to get into vacation mode before ever stepping on the ship  😎.   I have flown the day before from TX to LA and Ft Lauderdale for cruises. 

Edited by HEARTBEACH

Drive to port morning of departure.  I am about 2 hours away from NY and NJ, about 3 hours away from Boston, so I would be ok with cruises that depart from any of these ports.  Even before the Covid crisis, I was beginning to avoid cruises out of FL.

Even though we are most anxious to sail with MSC again, we will probably cruise first from Baltimore, on Grandeur, which we can drive to.

If we have to fly, we typically do so a day ahead, and stay in a hotel overnight.  But now, IMO, that will just add to the health risks.

To Southampton UK- usually go by train the day before, or the cruise lines provide coach travel from main cities on embarkation day, which all arrive between 1- 2.30pm, so check-in is just for coach travellers during that time.

Driving and hoping to still cruise on 8/15/2020 on the Vista.  1.5 hours to Galveston.   This is a rebook of the cancelled cruise from 2019 when the Vista was having mechanical problems, so Havana room for $200 in port tax, plus $600.00 in OBC.  Yes, please.

Then just booked 10/8/2020 on the Dream, rebook of cancelled March 2020 cruise due to COVID.   We now have adjoining balcony rooms on deck 7 instead of previously booked interiors.  Same price and many more OBCs.

Just to get over my nerves about getting another cancel.

Edited by RS182

As the better half does not fly.... we drive to the Port about 20 minutes away   

( well actually we get a driver to take us )

In this position we only be cruises from our port.... which we do not mind

and are look forward to cruising again.......

Cheers Don

Ps   If pressed we could take the Train to the next major Port... but that would be the day before and stay in a hotel overnight..... and so far have not done it...