When will things start back up?

KS&JW

27 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Which airlines are you using for this ?

I used UA points to fly business class on Ethiopian. We fly MCI-IAD on UA, overnight at Dulles, then IAD-ADD-WDH on ET. Return is WDH-ADD-ORD on ET, ORD-MCI on UA. 88k miles each way in J. We have a 10 day small group safari there which has turned into a private trip for 2 with a driver. Sweet. This was supposed to be last September.

7 hours ago, susiesan said:

Which is why I refuse to get tested for any reason.

Since there are likely not to be any cruises for a very long time, maybe none in 2021 I just put together a land trip in Costa Rica in January. No pre entry covid tests, no quarantine required. I also have a land trip in Namibia May 7. 

I thought that Namibia requires a negative Covid test within 72 hours of departure? Could change by May depending on the vaccine situation. 

12 hours ago, TakingFlight said:

I thought that Namibia requires a negative Covid test within 72 hours of departure? Could change by May depending on the vaccine situation. 

at the moment, that is the case. By May, that requirement may be gone or you can show proof of a vaccine, which based on our ages we should have received. If not, that is the only reason I will get a covid test, to be able to travel. I won't get tested merely to become a statistic.

21 hours ago, susiesan said:

Which is why I refuse to get tested for any reason.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

that is the only reason I will get a covid test, to be able to travel. 

Huh, that's interesting. 🤣 I would think travel would fall under any reason.            

Edited by ORV
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

If not, that is the only reason I will get a covid test, to be able to travel. I won't get tested merely to become a statistic.

Since you have no idea whether you are positive or not at any time I am CERTAIN you wear a mask at all times when in public (Why don't I believe that?)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Since you have no idea whether you are positive or not at any time I am CERTAIN you wear a mask at all times when in public (Why don't I believe that?)

Yes, I wear a mask in public where I HAVE too. I take it off as soon as I can. I do not require my employees to wear a mask while at work at my business, if they want to they can. The only time I wear a mask is going into a restaurant before being seated, while I am shopping at a store, and on airplanes. I never wear one outside.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Yes, I wear a mask in public where I HAVE too. I take it off as soon as I can. I do not require my employees to wear a mask while at work at my business, if they want to they can. The only time I wear a mask is going into a restaurant before being seated, while I am shopping at a store, and on airplanes. I never wear one outside.

I'll bet just to protest having to wear a mask you probably pull it down under your nose too. Say, have you seen the numbers lately? No freaking wonder.

I don't wonder at all, it's pretty easy to see why things are so bad. You do realize that you are a part of the problem, not the solution?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The varying ideas about wearing masks across the world is interesting. Here in Melbourne we have only 6 active cases (all returned travellers from overseas in quarantine) and have had no locally transmitted cases in over 40 days. Yet still almost everyone is willing to wear masks indoors at shopping centres, supermarkets, etc as well as on public transport. Possibly we suffered so much during over 100 days of lockdown we don’t want to return to that state?

We are now lucky to be able to spend Christmas with our families in an almost normal way 👌

Merry Christmas to everyone around the world and our prayers are with those still having  to cope with this awful pandemic.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, susiesan said:

Better not move to California. In most counties masks are required indoors and out, restaurants and bars are closed except for take-out, hotels and rentals are closed. In other words it's shutdown and I'm guessing after Jan. 20 that will be true of the whole country. Hope you and your staff make it til then.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2020 at 9:38 AM, ToxM said:

It sounds like we are making lots and lots of venues available for mass vaccination - even down to veterinary practices. We have a lot of testing centres and I expect a lot of those will be made available as well. If we can manage 500,000 tests per day I am pretty confident we can do at least that in vaccines. The NHS is a very very remarkably agile machine when it needs to be and we also have unused capacity at our Nightingale Hospitals. I think we will easily surpass 100k capacity per day once we get into our stride. 

The first wave of vaccinations looks to be the most vulnerable members of society, which by dint of demographics would include lots of us UK cruisers. Once people realise they are almost certainly going to be needing a vaccine to participate in society in any manner of the old normal we will get a large % of the population getting vaccinated. 

Once Joe Public realise they can’t book a holiday, go to a concert, travel on a plane, go to a different country on business, maybe even check into a hotel without proof of a vaccine the take up will soar. 

If the UK can manage to vaccinate as many as they test each day then yes. You could have 70% vaccinated in 6 months and all in 9 months. Fingers crossed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2020 at 4:59 PM, clo said:

Better not move to California. In most counties masks are required indoors and out, restaurants and bars are closed except for take-out, hotels and rentals are closed. In other words it's shutdown and I'm guessing after Jan. 20 that will be true of the whole country. Hope you and your staff make it til then.

Wise words....better not move to California...where hundreds of thousands are fleeing from.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CincyAL said:

however, truly Warp Speed compared to our neighbors to the North (aka-Canada).

I think part of the problem here was having to have the Pfizer vaccine in super cold storage  only so many places have that  type of facility available

We got the Moderna vaccine today so more will be able to get  the shot  without the need to go to the vaccine  it will come to places closer  to us 😉

20 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I think part of the problem here was having to have the Pfizer vaccine in super cold storage  only so many places have that  type of facility available

We got the Moderna vaccine today so more will be able to get  the shot  without the need to go to the vaccine  it will come to places closer  to us 😉

That is unbelievably fast.  In my state we haven't even gotten our medical personnel and long-term-care residents done yet.  

3 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

That is unbelievably fast.  In my state we haven't even gotten our medical personnel and long-term-care residents done yet.  

I do not think  they have done all the hospital workers yet  they are  are doing certain areas  where they have the refrigeration  for the Pfizer vaccine

Just Toronto alone has  a lot of people to vaccinate 

I did not mean me personally got the Moderna vaccine  the Province got the delivery  yesterday

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 2:42 PM, Hawaiidan said:

Wise words....better not move to California...where hundreds of thousands are fleeing from.  

Very wise words.   Would not want to live in New York either. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Paulchili said:

It sounds like we are both very happy and fortunate to live where we want to.

Not everyone can say that.

Sure do agree with that.  Hope we all stay healthy and happy.

20 hours ago, Paulchili said:

It sounds like we are both very happy and fortunate to live where we want to.

Not everyone can say that.

If I were really rich I'd have second and third homes in SF (the city of) and NY (Manhattan).

• Like 1