Carnival Corp to retire 6 ships in next 90 days

On 6/22/2020 at 5:25 PM, embarkation75 said:

That's not true anymore as the Miracle runs out of San Diego now for 7 months of the year with very similar itineraries to the Imagination/Inspiration pair along with some 5/6 day cruises to Cabo and 15 day to Hawaii. Not saying it is a guarantee the Imagination/Inspiration pair are gone but Carnival already has a newer ship in SoCal that can meet that demographic base for 3-4 day cruises.

Not to go on and on about this but Miracle out of San Diego is a mix of 4 and 7 day cruises. Out of the entire summer, they will run a handful of the four day cruises.

Whereas Inspiration\Imagination are continually running the 3\4 back to back to back etc. The availability of those cruises out of LBC are far greater than what they are out of San Diego for a limited time.

Living in San Diego, I've been looking forward to the Miracle but itineraries are limited.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 1:22 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Would knowing that give you any solace

Interesting choice of word, solace. Nope, don't need any of that right now.

We cruise quite a lot and overall as a cruise line I would not consider Carnival as 4*.

Really like the Panorama, though.

Guess I'll have to find that Great Big online Cruise Travel Agent.

gary

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gtaylor said:

Interesting choice of word, solace. Nope, don't need any of that right now.

We cruise quite a lot and overall as a cruise line I would not consider Carnival as 4*.

Really like the Panorama, though.

Guess I'll have to find that Great Big online Cruise Travel Agent.

gary

Well, that is a plan.....  I cruise quite a bit as well, and I would, but that said, The original question is whether is meaningful to you.  I would rather cruise on Carnival over some 5 star lines.  Hence my question back at you.

25 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Well, that is a plan.....  I cruise quite a bit as well, and I would, but that said, The original question is whether is meaningful to you.  I would rather cruise on Carnival over some 5 star lines.  Hence my question back at you.

Then my question back to you is do you understand the definition of solace?

gary

I would like to find this rating source to satisfy my quest for knowledge, so yes, it is meaningful.

On 6/23/2020 at 1:36 AM, xDisconnections said:

Then why did nearly all of the cruise lines pull out of California or reduce capacity?

It looks like Princess will have 3 ships cruising from LA in 2022. Maybe more.

Just now, xDisconnections said:

After an extended period of one ship, tops. Who knows if Discovery Princess will even sail?

Who knows if any cruise ship will sail from the US? California, Texas, and Florida are going in the wrong direction.

8 hours ago, gtaylor said:

Then my question back to you is do you understand the definition of solace?

gary

I would like to find this rating source to satisfy my quest for knowledge, so yes, it is meaningful.

There are a couple of rating sources of cruise lines.  Google is your friend.

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Who knows if any cruise ship will sail from the US? California, Texas, and Florida are going in the wrong direction.

Wouldn't it be odd if the first cruise ships to sail from the US after the pandemic is somewhat under control will be from NY and NJ?

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 12:32 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Gene Sloan of The Points Guy speculated on possible ship reductions in his article at https://thepointsguy.com/guide/cruise-ship-sold-scrap-list/ .  It's not limited to Carnival Corporation ships.

The key word you used is "speculated". Many ships in that article are listed purely based on age or for being oddballs in their respective fleets.

I'm of the opinion that Costa will lose another ship.  HAL, Princess, and P&O will each lose a ship.  Carnival Cruise Line will lose Victory/Radiance.  I don't see Carnival wanting to shell out the money to finish the transition of Victory/Radiance and since it was tore apart while sailing to dry dock, they would have to spend money to put it back to gether.  

6 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

We are booked on Fascination for February. Wonder what will happen..... 

What will help the Fascination is that if sailing will resume by 2021, then keeping a ship in San Juan may cut down on the number of refunds issued. It's not like cruisers in San Juan can drive a couple hours to another homeport like those sailing out of New Orleans, Mobile, or Florida.

19 minutes ago, tidecat said:

What will help the Fascination is that if sailing will resume by 2021, then keeping a ship in San Juan may cut down on the number of refunds issued. It's not like cruisers in San Juan can drive a couple hours to another homeport like those sailing out of New Orleans, Mobile, or Florida.

Carnival has. Somewhat different view in regards to cruising out of San Juan.  Without getting into details, they feel the “ship” is not an important variable in cruisers selecting this cruise option.  This is why they have put one of their oldest shipS sailing out of there.  I do not agree with their analogy, but then again, they did not ask....😁

20 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Carnival has. Somewhat different view in regards to cruising out of San Juan.  Without getting into details, they feel the “ship” is not an important variable in cruisers selecting this cruise option.  This is why they have put one of their oldest shipS sailing out of there.  I do not agree with their analogy, but then again, they did not ask....😁

I have been told by several people that passengers who cruise out of San Juan usually do so for the itinerary, so therefore the ship is secondary. I have never really given it too much thought but that has always made sense to me. 

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have been told by several people that passengers who cruise out of San Juan usually do so for the itinerary, so therefore the ship is secondary. I have never really given it too much thought but that has always made sense to me. 

I just posted in another thread, but I guess if I would have read this one first, it belongs here as a better fit. When we were considering a cruise from San Juan on the Fascination, our TA tried to discourage us thinking we would not enjoy the ship. But we went ahead and booked it (he no longer had any objection then). And we really enjoyed everything about it especially the small ship experience and getting to know fellow passengers and even getting to interact with crew members.

2 hours ago, tidecat said:

The Fascination is scheduled to move to Mobile in January 2022.  There's currently no replacement ship in San Juan.

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

This itinerary is the only reason I booked this cruise so for me they are spot on.  5 port days so I’m not that interested in the ship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

It is also a very lively ship with the many natives on the island as passengers. We were really encouraged by them in our dancing. Actually DW wants to have the steps perfect while I just want the music to move my body. The locals were on my side on this subject. LOL.