Carnival Corp to retire 6 ships in next 90 days

14 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Or they can get rid of the Inspiration and Imagination and utilize a better ship with upgraded room options to capture additional room rental revenue. Their prime competitor uses much nicer ships so why shouldn’t Carnival at least use something somewhat decent/okay to remain competitive? Their Fantasy class ships against a Voyager or Freedom class just doesn’t produce a competitive advantage in Carnival’s favor.

With both the Imagination and Inspiration there in addition to a Spirit class ship, there’s an overcapacity in a market that isn’t necessarily profitable on a good day with rock bottom prices.

You're missing the demographic that primarily books on Imagination\Inspiration. It's first time cruisers, party goers, people who just want a quick jaunt to relax.

A larger ship with increased fares would turn off that demographic. 

No other lines run 3 and 4 day cruises from Long Beach or San Pedro. During the summer months, yes, Holland is in San Diego but that's not exactly a young persons cruise. NCL does just week long from San Pedro. And Panorama does week long to Mexican Riviera.

There is no competition in the 3\4 day cruise market in SoCal (much less all of CA)

But if a replacement ship came in, such as the Miracle like the other poster said, I would be good but just as long as fares are kept low for first time cruisers etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

You're missing the demographic that primarily books on Imagination\Inspiration. It's first time cruisers, party goers, people who just want a quick jaunt to relax.

It is also young families with strollers who can't afford to be off from work for more than a long weekend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CogitoErgoZoom said:

Are fleets of ships like fleets of airplanes where having fewer types of aircraft creates simpler maintenance?

I would say yes due to engine, propulsion, water treatment systems and hotel backend, but I don't know for certain.

When I have some more time, I am going to find out more about these systems across different platforms. Some ships on a few different companies are technically very similar, a ship is a ship until it is out fitted.

4 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

A larger ship with increased fares would turn off that demographic. 

No other lines run 3 and 4 day cruises from Long Beach or San Pedro. During the summer months, yes, Holland is in San Diego but that's not exactly a young persons cruise. NCL does just week long from San Pedro. And Panorama does week long to Mexican Riviera.

There is no competition in the 3\4 day cruise market in SoCal (much less all of CA)

But if a replacement ship came in, such as the Miracle like the other poster said, I would be good but just as long as fares are kept low for first time cruisers etc.

Larger still have budget focused interior and oceanview stateroom categories. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

That's not true anymore as the Miracle runs out of San Diego now for 7 months of the year with very similar itineraries to the Imagination/Inspiration pair along with some 5/6 day cruises to Cabo and 15 day to Hawaii. Not saying it is a guarantee the Imagination/Inspiration pair are gone but Carnival already has a newer ship in SoCal that can meet that demographic base for 3-4 day cruises.

Edited by embarkation75

4 hours ago, embarkation75 said:

That's not true anymore as the Miracle runs out of San Diego now for 7 months of the year with very similar itineraries to the Imagination/Inspiration pair along with some 5/6 day cruises to Cabo and 15 day to Hawaii. Not saying it is a guarantee the Imagination/Inspiration pair are gone but Carnival already has a newer ship in SoCal that can meet that demographic base for 3-4 day cruises.

With some 24 million people (more than the entire state of Florida), I think Southern California can support a variety of ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

With some 24 million people (more than the entire state of Florida), I think Southern California can support a variety of ships.

Then why did nearly all of the cruise lines pull out of California or reduce capacity? Some were just starting to show interest pre-Covid but how long will that last once cruising returns? Cruises aren’t exactly popular right now with certain demographics and I don’t see the younger generation in Southern California wanting to cruise at the same pre-Covid level. In fact, none of my peers are willing to even look into possible cruise vacations and think I’m crazy for even considering the idea of going on a cruise. Truthfully, I’m not even sure how I feel about cruising when it returns and how the cruise lines are handling cancellations/refunds/poor cash flow don’t exactly make me wish for their successful rebound.

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The extremely limited itinerary available for CA sailings  is what makes the big difference.

• Like 5

On 6/22/2020 at 4:21 AM, drsel said:

Carnival is considered 4* while Princess is 5*

the prices of Princess cruises are almost double that of Carnival, on a per night basis.

Would be interested to know on which scale Carnival rates a 4*.

gary

19 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Then why did nearly all of the cruise lines pull out of California or reduce capacity? Some were just starting to show interest pre-Covid but how long will that last once cruising returns? Cruises aren’t exactly popular right now with certain demographics and I don’t see the younger generation in Southern California wanting to cruise at the same pre-Covid level. In fact, none of my peers are willing to even look into possible cruise vacations and think I’m crazy for even considering the idea of going on a cruise. Truthfully, I’m not even sure how I feel about cruising when it returns and how the cruise lines are handling cancellations/refunds/poor cash flow don’t exactly make me wish for their successful rebound.

Carnival was increasing capacity and put the newest flagship in Long Beach. Perhaps other cruise lines know they can't compete with Carnival in that market.

12 hours ago, rolloman said:

The extremely limited itinerary available for CA sailings  is what makes the big difference.

Hence mostly short cruises to essentially nowhere. The virus makes flying to cruises less attractive so there could be a resurgence in demand.

On 6/22/2020 at 1:45 PM, BlerkOne said:

No, demand is currently greater than supply.

Demand is greater than supply near term because of the cancelled cruises that have been rebooked. 

Carnival $600/cabin OBC for rebooking doesn't show in the pricing.  This is a smart move by Carnival.  Lower price without lowering list price.  $600 does not reflect the cost to Carnival -- maybe half that.

Longer term, demand is likely lower.  For one, unemployment is up.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rolloman said:

And I’d say the weather isn’t as good. I can leave out of Galveston, New Orleans, Florida in December and that first sea day and last sea day the weather will be nice. It was cold in March on two of our sea days leaving and returning to Long Beach.

• Like 2

I seen this also, and I don't like it.  The reason being................there were 7 - 8 of us that were planning on doing the Fascination next year.  I just hadn't booked it yet, waiting to see what the virus was going to do, since our March cruise was cancelled with the Horizon.  I want to take my family to St. Lucia, so hopefully if they take the Fascination away, there will be another ship going that direction.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Adios, Costa Victoria.

@Patricia- thanks.

F50EDBE7-6DB5-4B3B-83A4-B8D7A5EDD6DF.jpeg

After laying up in Civitavecchia (Rome) for two months,

#CostaVictoria has sailed to another Italian port #Piombino this week.

Recent rumours mention that #CostaCruises may have already sold this vessel

to cut cost in the recent financial situation,

and the ship may be acquired by other companies to convert to floating accommodation.

However the Mayor of Piombino, Francesco Ferrari Sindaco,

has just written on social media that the 24-year-old cruise ship

will be demolished and scrapped.

Until now Costa Cruises has not yet commented about the news,

and some future sailings of Costa Victoria is still available to be booked on their website.

What is the big deal here? Year after year cruise lines sell and build new ships. Nothing new at all. Just because it is at their slowdown time. Right now it is a good time to sell and not disrupt cruises as they have in the past. Many cruise lines sell a ship that is ready to sail full and cancel the cruise. No need for that now. Easy sell. Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line has the Grand Celebration for sale. An old Carnival ship. Either wanting to get rid of it or up grade to a newer Carnival or other ship that will be up for sale.

4 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

And I’d say the weather isn’t as good. I can leave out of Galveston, New Orleans, Florida in December and that first sea day and last sea day the weather will be nice. It was cold in March on two of our sea days leaving and returning to Long Beach.

If Galveston isn't fog bound. But the Gulf/Caribbean/Atlantic is warmer than the Pacific.

4 hours ago, Trueblueky said:

Demand is greater than supply near term because of the cancelled cruises that have been rebooked. 

Carnival $600/cabin OBC for rebooking doesn't show in the pricing.  This is a smart move by Carnival.  Lower price without lowering list price.  $600 does not reflect the cost to Carnival -- maybe half that.

Longer term, demand is likely lower.  For one, unemployment is up.

Carnival will likely be a smaller company with fewer ships which will also factor in.

15 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

If Galveston isn't fog bound. But the Gulf/Caribbean/Atlantic is warmer than the Pacific.

Yeah there's that issue. I've been fortunate that in my three cruises out of Galveston during fog season I've never been caught in it. And we had some thick fog on my Vista cruise.

Would be interested to know on which scale Carnival rates a 4*.

gary
These are the ratings given by a giant US online Cruise travel agent, not by me.
They have rated each and every Cruise ship of almost all the cruise lines.
the ratings are similar to a hotel star category and have nothing to do with the reviews of the ship

3 hours ago, Aplmac said:

After laying up in Civitavecchia (Rome) for two months,

#CostaVictoria has sailed to another Italian port #Piombino this week.

Recent rumours mention that #CostaCruises may have already sold this vessel

to cut cost in the recent financial situation,

and the ship may be acquired by other companies to convert to floating accommodation.

However the Mayor of Piombino, Francesco Ferrari Sindaco,

has just written on social media that the 24-year-old cruise ship

will be demolished and scrapped.

Until now Costa Cruises has not yet commented about the news,

and some future sailings of Costa Victoria is still available to be booked on their website.

Sad to see. So many great times were had on these ships. This ship doesn’t seem that old. I have a feeling before this pandemic is over we’re going to see a good number of ships meet the same fate. I expect most cruise lines will return to service as much smaller companies. 

• Like 1