If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

48 minutes ago, BND said:

The vaccine was never intended to prevent disease.  It was intended and created to prevent hospitalizations and death and make people less sick and prevent secondary infections.  Kind of like if you've had a flu shot and catch the flu, you get a mild case and no secondary infection such as pneumonia.  The whole idea is you have cold like symptoms if you do catch it and don't end up in the hospital.

That's just not true. The vaccine was intended to prevent disease, but especially severe disease (which draws heavily upon medical resources that a ship may not have). The 95% efficacy is reported against disease, even mild disease. What we don't know is if it's sterilizing (meaning it can prevent infection).

As for the larger question: as kids are known to spread less, and are not likely (by several orders of magnitude less than adults) to contract severe disease themselves, they should be allowed on board if the adults on board are doing the responsible thing and have been vaccinated. The FDA will not be in a rush to approve pediatric vaccines given 1.) the case in terms of danger to children isn't as urgent and 2.) uptake in the adult population probably won't be high enough to get to herd immunity before natural infection does the job. It will probably be mid-2022 or later before the majority of kids can be vaccinated (if ever).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lizzius said:

That's just not true. The vaccine was intended to prevent disease, but especially severe disease (which draws heavily upon medical resources that a ship may not have). The 95% efficacy is reported against disease, even mild disease. What we don't know is if it's sterilizing (meaning it can prevent infection).

As for the larger question: as kids are known to spread less, and are not likely (by several orders of magnitude less than adults) to contract severe disease themselves, they should be allowed on board if the adults on board are doing the responsible thing and have been vaccinated. The FDA will not be in a rush to approve pediatric vaccines given 1.) the case in terms of danger to children isn't as urgent and 2.) uptake in the adult population probably won't be high enough to get to herd immunity before natural infection does the job. It will probably be mid-2022 or later before the majority of kids can be vaccinated (if ever).

Last year, it was widely talked about that the GOAL was to prevent hospitalizations and deaths.  The vaccines proved to be more effective than originally thought, but what I posted is true.  Just like with the flu vaccine, some will get a milder case (there were cases in the trials), and some won't get any real symptoms even if they do catch it.  

I never mentioned children, so no idea why you felt the need to post that part.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BND said:

Last year, it was widely talked about that the GOAL was to prevent hospitalizations and deaths.  The vaccines proved to be more effective than originally thought, but what I posted is true.  Just like with the flu vaccine, some will get a milder case (there were cases in the trials), and some won't get any real symptoms even if they do catch it.  

I never mentioned children, so no idea why you felt the need to post that part.  

Because you replied to a comment about children?

There were cases in both trials, but the point is there were 95% fewer cases (mild) or 100% fewer cases (no hospitalizations were reported in either vaccine arm). Most who got the vaccine ended up avoiding disease entirely... Precious few will even get the sniffles or mild cough, not the proportion suggested by a word like "some".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

Perhaps you have forgotten that knowledge increases with time.  What is known now is significantly greater than what was know last March when the true facts were being covered up for the sake of political expediency.

Yogi the people who you bow down to have a talent for explaining tomorrow why the predictions they made yesterday didn’t come true today.  

“¯\_(ツ)_/¯“

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Yogi the people who you bow down to have a talent for explaining tomorrow why the predictions they made yesterday didn’t come true today.  

“¯\_(ツ)_/¯“

That's Deep!   LOL

4 hours ago, yogimax said:

Perhaps you have forgotten that knowledge increases with time.  What is known now is significantly greater than what was know last March when the true facts were being covered up for the sake of political expediency.

Common sense was different in March than it is now? You didn't know by common sense back then that a mask would be more helpful than no mask?

And as far as political expediency, was that so important to Fauci so not to get kicked out of the Oval Office? I know you idolize Fauci but....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, molly361 said:

Don't know what they will do but as I have said on other threads it should be vaccines for all or those who can't or won't including kids should not be allowed on board.  Doesn't seem fair for others to get vaccinated and then get sick from some kid that brings it on.  FYI I am over 65 and have not had any luck getting one yet so I might be one not let on board either

It is less fair to get vaccinated and then have your cruise experience infringed upon in order to protect those who are not vaccinated.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

It doesn't seem fair to exclude families with younger kids just because kids can't get the vaccine, despite kids getting and spreading covid at 50%, if not higher, rates than adults.

Plus how often would you as a 65 yr old cruiser being spending time in close contact with a kid you don't know?

But is is fair for the vaccinated to be imposed upon and require them to wear a mask to help protect the non vaccinated. I don't think so.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, molly361 said:

FYI I am over 65 and have not had any luck getting one yet so I might be one not let on board either

I was able to get my Mom an appointment through the ridiculously complicated NH VAMS site.  It isn't until March though, so hopefully I can get her into a CVS or something before that.  My Aunt, who turned 98 on Saturday, got her vaccine ten days ago.  Unfortunately, she got Covid for her birthday.

5 hours ago, Free Water said:

If a person has the vaccine, how would they "get sick from some kid"? If the vaccine doesn't inoculate a person, then why get it?  And if it's a largely useless injection, why would a cruise line require passengers receive it? 

Neither vaccine has a 100% efficacy with Pfizer at 95% and Moderna at 94.1%. Cruise lines can not afford for anyone to contract Covid on their ships. That means no kids until they can be vaccinated too.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

It doesn't seem fair to exclude families with younger kids just because kids can't get the vaccine, despite kids getting and spreading covid at 50%, if not higher, rates than adults.

Plus how often would you as a 65 yr old cruiser being spending time in close contact with a kid you don't know?

Elevators come to mind.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I was able to get my Mom an appointment through the ridiculously complicated NH VAMS site.  It isn't until March though, so hopefully I can get her into a CVS or something before that.  My Aunt, who turned 98 on Saturday, got her vaccine ten days ago.  Unfortunately, she got Covid for her birthday.

Very sorry about that. How is she doing?

17 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Seriously🤔

Yes, absolutely.  It’s not yet known whether a vaccinated person can still carry and/or transit the novel coronavirus.  So....until that’s fleshed out I believe the requirement to wear masks will remain as a public health precaution..... it’s not about ‘fairness’!  This is why I won’t be cruising as long as there is a mask wearing requirement.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, coffeebean said:

Elevators come to mind.

As well as the Windjammer, muster drill, hallways, shows, lounges, almost anywhere except adventure ocean, because I don’t go there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

But is is fair for the vaccinated to be imposed upon and require them to wear a mask to help protect the non vaccinated. I don't think so.

Agree. Leave the kids home with family or friends to watch them. Their time will come eventually. I have faith that children will be able to receive the vaccine in the future. They may need an adjusted dose but let's all hope children will be vaccinated.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Very sorry about that. How is she doing?

She has a cough but no fever.  They have put her on an antibiotic and a steroid for now.  She is still feisty and causing trouble in the memory care unit, so that is a good sign I guess. 

This facility has been covid free until after Thanksgiving, when they had four staff asymptomatic.  No residents have had covid in the whole facility (independent care, assisted living and memory care) up until now.  They now have seven positive patients and two symptomatic positive staff in memory care after they admitted a new patient to the unit from outside the facility.  The new patient supposedly quarantined 14 days prior to admittance and tested negative of admittance but positive three days later.  That person has unfortunately now passed away.  

We are hoping the vaccine that they all got will help minimize the symptoms but time will tell.  Thanks for asking. 🙂 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Yes, absolutely.  It’s not yet known whether a vaccinated person can still carry and/or transit the novel coronavirus.  So....until that’s fleshed out I believe the requirement to wear masks will remain as a public health precaution..... it’s not about ‘fairness’!  This is why I won’t be cruising as long as there is a mask wearing requirement.

However, that was not the question. The question is should the vaccinated have to wear a mask in order to protect the non-vaccinated? Everyone wearing a mask until we know the efficacy of the vaccine is one thing. Being infringed upon because some can't, or won't be vaccinated is a very different issue.

Everyone on the ship being vaccinated provides a safer environment for everyone, masked or not. It is better for the guests, better for the crew, and better for the cruise line. There should not be exceptions.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

However, that was not the question. The question is should the vaccinated have to wear a mask in order to protect the non-vaccinated? Everyone wearing a mask until we know the efficacy of the vaccine is one thing. Being infringed upon because some can't, or won't be vaccinated is a very different issue.

Everyone on the ship being vaccinated provides a safer environment for everyone, masked or not. It is better for the guests, better for the crew, and better for the cruise line. Thete should not be exceptions.

Well now, it appears as though I missed the context of the question and apologize for that.  If there are people who cannot or will not be vaccinated then they shouldn’t be permitted onboard if the objective is to have a 100% vaccinated crew and pax load when the ship leaves the dock.  Expecting other people to wear masks in order to protect unvaccinated people onboard is not a reasonable expectation from my perspective.  My comment(s) about the potential need to wear a mask on a cruise ship and whether I’d choose to go still stand though....