How are they going to restart cruises in the USA when they cannot even do the 3 day AIDA German cruise?

ontheweb

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

They had to cancel the first one as 10 crew members who were flown in from the Philippines tested positive for Covid 19.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article244474032.html?

The article does not mention cancellation, indeed it states that....

"Carnival Corp. spokesperson Roger Frizzell said the company does not expect the findings will delay its launch of cruises from Germany on Aug. 5."

53 minutes ago, Pyrate13 said:

According to the news, that ship did indeed sail on Friday.

I think the ship that sailed from Hamburg on Friday was TUI's Mein Schiff 2, it arrived in Kristiansand today, turned round in the harbour and left, destination Hamburg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

I think the ship that sailed from Hamburg on Friday was TUI's Mein Schiff 2, it arrived in Kristiansand today, turned round in the harbour and left, destination Hamburg

Exactly.  Here's one of several articles one can find doing a search:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/07/25/tui-cruises-mein-schiff-2-sails-return-voyage-1-200-people/5509762002/

I don't see the point of this, 3 days , no landing, restricted numbers. If this is the 'new normal' then the industry will collapse and cruise ships will be sailing to the breakers yards in 100's.

This is not my idea of a holiday would rather staycation in the UK?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

I don't see the point of this, 3 days , no landing, restricted numbers. If this is the 'new normal' then the industry will collapse and cruise ships will be sailing to the breakers yards in 100's.

There was a thread not to long ago about cruises to nowhere and there was quite a lot of posters who were interested. It could be an untapped market. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

There was a thread not to long ago about cruises to nowhere and there was quite a lot of posters who were interested. It could be an untapped market. 

Well this cruiser certainly wouldn't "tap" that.

• Like 1

DIfferent people cruise for different reasons. A very short "cruise to nowhere" may well be of interest to people who have never been on a cruise ship and wanted to find out what it was like without committing themselves to a longer trip.

Other people regard the ship itself as the holiday, I have many times cruised with people who rarely disembarked as they had visited all the ports time and time again, they simply liked being on board a ship. Having said that, they still preferred port days, as then they had the ship to themselves - so maybe a cruise to nowhere with nobody getting off would not appeal to them so much.

A scenic cruise with no ports appeals to a lot of people, but if it is a large ship with a lot of passengers, then unless you have a balcony cabin on the scenic side, only those prepared to bag the best spot by the deck railings and stay there will see much anyway.

I have not cruised and hoping soon. After 5 month in house and limited going out or vacation, I would take a 3 night cruise to nowhere right now. Entertainments, drinks, food that I don't have to cook, relaxation, maybe a little gambling. 

I believe these short cruises are being use to test if the onboard procedures work correctly using real passengers.

As for cruises to nowhere. Norway may be a popular choice if the ship sails up the fjords without calling at a port. Scenery lovers like me  might consider that, but not for a few months at least, maybe next summer

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

it’s an untapped market in the US because cruises to nowhere are illegal. They will not be happening in the US. Maybe another country/region will begin offering them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Shouldn't be a problem. Fly in another 10. Lot of replacement crews available.

Were the crew who tested positive tested before they boarded the plane? If so and they were negative then, did they catch it on the plane? Would this problem keep cropping up as they try to get crew for the ship?

17 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

The article does not mention cancellation, indeed it states that....

"Carnival Corp. spokesperson Roger Frizzell said the company does not expect the findings will delay its launch of cruises from Germany on Aug. 5."

And did they also INTEND to have cruises from Florida and Texas sailing and even actively sold reservations? How did that work out?

17 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Were the crew who tested positive tested before they boarded the plane? If so and they were negative then, did they catch it on the plane? Would this problem keep cropping up as they try to get crew for the ship?

Did you actually read the article that you posted?

The crew members had recently flown to Germany from their home countries in Asia to begin working on the ships, local media reported. After testing negative in their home countries, they then tested negative again in Germany. Shortly after boarding the ships, docked in Rostock, Germany, they tested positive.

• Like 1

Just now, VMax1700 said:

Did you actually read the article that you posted?

The crew members had recently flown to Germany from their home countries in Asia to begin working on the ships, local media reported. After testing negative in their home countries, they then tested negative again in Germany. Shortly after boarding the ships, docked in Rostock, Germany, they tested positive.

I did read it but  a while ago. So they presumably caught it on the airplanes. That will continue to be a problem. It's not only cruise ships that spread the virus!

16 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And did they also INTEND to have cruises from Florida and Texas sailing and even actively sold reservations? How did that work out?

Irrelevant in relation to the article posted.

Many cruise lines INTEND and even plan to sail.  Governments, CDC etc and the virus say otherwise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

It's not only cruise ships that spread the virus!

100% correct.  

I was looking at a webcam of the paseo in front of a beach in Gran Canaria.  The number of people not wearing masks was frightening.  I believe that Spain has mandated the wearing of masks in public places but I am not sure if that rule extends to Las Canarias, as they have a devolved government.

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

100% correct.  

I was looking at a webcam of the paseo in front of a beach in Gran Canaria.  The number of people not wearing masks was frightening.  I believe that Spain has mandated the wearing of masks in public places but I am not sure if that rule extends to Las Canarias, as they have a devolved government.

You do not need to wear a mask in public spaces in Spain, as long as you can maintain social distancing. Seems sensible enough.

6 hours ago, davecttr said:

As for cruises to nowhere. Norway may be a popular choice if the ship sails up the fjords without calling at a port. Scenery lovers like me  might consider that, but not for a few months at least, maybe next summer

We did a Norwegian coastal cruise on Hurtigruten and IIRC there was only one day that we were "at sea" so we had constant gorgeous views.

IMG_6773 - Edited.jpg

IMG_6772 - Edited.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

The only way I'd a 3 day cruise is if I lived very close to a cruise port. 

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

100% correct.  

I live on Gran Canaria, you do not need to wear a facemask in public, only in shops, public transport and the like. Its no different to the UK in that regard. You do not need to wear a facemask on the beaches as well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sanger727 said:

it’s an untapped market in the US because cruises to nowhere are illegal. They will not be happening in the US. Maybe another country/region will begin offering them.

Not really.  Cruises to nowhere out of a US port are not illegal.  The reason they were stopped was due to a court ruling that such cruises would require the crew to have a different type of visa.  And that involves more cost/paperwork for the cruise lines, many of which chose not to do it.

• Thanks 1