But will they enforce it?

nosapphire

59 minutes ago, snichols23 said:

It’s all about customer service

That's funny. Cruise lines now have the time, money, staff, and willingness to take on unneeded legal liability in order to put money in the pockets of competitors. Okay.

Edited by cruizergal70

Should the cruise line's commitment to safety protocols convince me to take a cruise my absolute requirement is they will enforce their rules. If not I don't intend to sit idly by and do nothing. Violations of the protocols by passengers or crew will be brought to the attention of the appropriate onboard authority. 

If corrective action is not taken and continued violations persist I will be off the boat at the next port and upon returning home full reports with photos and video will be submitted to relevant health and regulatory authorities and widely distributed on social media platforms. 

Edited by K32682
  • Like 2

In December in various ports throughout South America, the cruise line worked with competitors. We boarded a bus to go to another city. All on the buses had booked through a multitude of vendors (cruise ship, GetYourGuide, Viator, Skymiles, etc). these I verified. At the venue, guides took their respective groups on the booked tour and there was a variety of tours with a range of time durations. Looks like vetted providers working with the cruise lines can provide a win/win situation for all. Providers want/need the business. Cruise lines can develop a working relationship with providers and lighten their load. Passengers will be happy. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 2:21 PM, ontheweb said:

Actually that is what the cruise lines would like you to believe, but you can use one of the licensed Russian tour agency in St. Petersburg and they supply you with the same visa waiver as the cruise lines tours.

This is true, I booked an excursion to russia online and it worked out fine.

8 hours ago, snichols23 said:

In December in various ports throughout South America, the cruise line worked with competitors. We boarded a bus to go to another city. All on the buses had booked through a multitude of vendors (cruise ship, GetYourGuide, Viator, Skymiles, etc). these I verified. At the venue, guides took their respective groups on the booked tour and there was a variety of tours with a range of time durations. Looks like vetted providers working with the cruise lines can provide a win/win situation for all. Providers want/need the business. Cruise lines can develop a working relationship with providers and lighten their load. Passengers will be happy. 

I'm not sure I quite understand what you're saying. It sounds like you're commenting that people booked tours through a multitude of different vendors to take various tours. But where does the "cruise line working with the competitors" come into it?  How do you know that the vendors were "vetted" by the ship -- did the ship provide their names as recommended providers for this (or other) specific ports?

At all ports the cruise lines arrange their own tours with a number of local vendors -- serving as a middleman if you will -- but that sounds like something different to what you're implying...?

And how will they enforce wearing masks on the ship or those ship excursions?

The CDC now has a recommendation for store owners and employees---don't bother to enforce it; it is not worth the violence that confronting non-mask wearers may cause.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dont-argue-with-anti-maskers-cdc-warns-stores/ar-BB18mCM8?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=edgsp

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

The CDC now has a recommendation for store owners and employees---don't bother to enforce it; it is not worth the violence that confronting non-mask wearers may cause.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dont-argue-with-anti-maskers-cdc-warns-stores/ar-BB18mCM8?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=edgsp

Perhaps the city or state government will state that if people do not wear a mask inside a store they will be subject to arrest .

On 8/22/2020 at 5:21 PM, bschmoll said:

I recently read and article about passengers being left at a port of call because they left the controlled excursion bubble the cruise ship had arranged in the port of call. This made me wonder if this is going to be how cruises will operate in the coming months until there is a vaccine. Are we all going to be forced to either stay within the cruise lines bubble? Does this mean that for the foreseeable feature we will no longer be able to walk off the ships, hop in a taxi, and explore on our own? I noticed in some advertising material NCL had sent out that they alluded to this controlled port experience as well. I have a cruise booked in early Dec 2020 and had planned to scuba dive almost every day, but if I am limited to ship excursions this will not be possible and I feel like it's not the vacation I had originally booked. I understand that these are trying times and perhaps even a limited cruise would be better than no cruise, but I probably wouldn't have booked it if I would have known they were going to significantly change the way ports of call work.

If you in a period where you can cancel for free, I would seriously consider it. The fact of the matter is that A. cruising will likely not be happening out of the US in December anyway, B. If they are, there will be many changes and overall it may be a significantly different product than what you booked, and C. They may not tell you that until it's too late to cancel without a penalty. MSC has shown that requiring ship only excursion is a possibility.  If sticking to ship excursions would create a situation where you wouldn't want to take the trip, don't wait to act. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

If someone is threatening physical harm then it makes sense to have a policy of not pushing things.  When I read this my first thought was why is the CDC getting involved in the enforcement end.   Even though I might agree, it seems outside of their bailiwick.  

I just flew and visited a city in the Mid-West, I'd say a very Red state, the compliance for mask on the airplane, airports( two stops ), and even out and about in stores/restaurants/outside  was good, but for their were always a  few people that wore down their mask, no enforcement.... Funny I know the pictures don't represent everything but the theme in the US is always see non-compliance at a higher rate than pictures I see of some other countries and cultures. 

US is indeed number #1 in freedom/individualism as well as cases and deaths, hmm a correlation?   

Hopefully the cruise lines get the message, no compliance walk the plank!  I have little sympathy for people who can't sacrifice a little for the common group good, simply stupid or selfish, or both.    

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chipmaster said:

US is indeed number #1 in freedom/individualism as well as cases and deaths, hmm a correlation?   

Not even in the top 10 there bud. Check your facts ...

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/08/05/899365887/charts-how-the-u-s-ranks-on-covid-19-deaths-per-capita-and-by-case-count

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_death_rates_by_country

Edited by pc_load_letter

1 hour ago, pc_load_letter said:

Not even in the top 10 there bud. Check your facts ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_death_rates_by_country

Thanks for posting this link.  I like how Wikipedia presents the data so simply and can be sorted.  A way better than how their source at John Hopkins shows it from my perspective.

No one knows what the list will look like as the disease spreads out from rich to poor populations.  Based on an article in Scientific American, India may already be the #1 country for COVID-19 in both absolute and relative terms.  

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/india-is-in-denial-about-the-covid-19-crisis/

Edited by SelectSys

3 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

Why aren't we are the bottom?   We are one of the richest and most advanced, yet the country lagged, play the rating but miss the forest examining and arguing about the trees.

Yup not worst but totally a failure.. is my larger reading of the situation.  We should be where Taiwan, So Korean or Hong Kong, darn we lag Spain and Italy and most of Western Europe to .. sad isn't it.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Perhaps the city or state government will state that if people do not wear a mask inside a store they will be subject to arrest .

Perhaps making that call will result in the violent reaction that the CDC has warned against. Perhaps the police are busier with real crime and/or protests.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Perhaps making that call will result in the violent reaction that the CDC has warned against. Perhaps the police are busier with real crime and/or protests.

The police do not have to be on the premises.Haven’t you been in stores where there are signs stating that the taking of items without paying might result in a fine or an arrest.

Most stores have security guards.

8 hours ago, chipmaster said:

4 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

The US does have the most cases and deaths when measured on an aggregate basis.  On a per-capita basis, we're very close to the top in both categories.  https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

I never understand why this is the case, we are in a world wide pandemic and people are violent about doing something so trivial as wearing a mask.

People don't throw temper tantrums and start fights and assault people regarding wearing shoes or shirts, what has happened to people in the US.   Did we raise our kids to behave like this?  What a sad reflection of this generation of adults and their parents get an F.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The police do not have to be on the premises.Haven’t you been in stores where there are signs stating that the taking of items without paying might result in a fine or an arrest.

Most stores have security guards.

Security guards can only detain people.  They usually have to call in the police to make the actual arrest.

16 hours ago, chipmaster said:

I never understand why this is the case, we are in a world wide pandemic and people are violent about doing something so trivial as wearing a mask.

People don't throw temper tantrums and start fights and assault people regarding wearing shoes or shirts, what has happened to people in the US.   Did we raise our kids to behave like this?  What a sad reflection of this generation of adults and their parents get an F.

Do you know anyone who would suffer ill effects from wearing shoes or shirt? I don’t but I know many people who suffer ill effects from mask wearing. Dismount already!

27 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Do you know anyone who would suffer ill effects from wearing shoes or shirt? I don’t but I know many people who suffer ill effects from mask wearing. Dismount already!

yeah you might stub your toe, you might have dirty feet, you might scare me to get ill when I see your exposed body, LOL

BTW many people of all ages and health wear mask and even more PPE.  

Simple response of business and such no mask, shirt, shoes, no service.  Refreshing to see airlines do the right thing.

i appreciate there is a large part of the US population so unhealthy that they may not be able to abide by the new rules, hopefully things get better or they get more healthy so they too can enjoy these things while still behaving in a safe,  responsible, and considerate  manner for the greater group. 

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

yeah you might stub your toe, you might have dirty feet, you might scare me to get ill when I see your exposed body, LOL

That would be from NOT wearing said items.

BTW many people of all ages and health wear mask and even more PPE.  
Absolutely. No one is denying that.

Simple response of business and such no mask, shirt, shoes, no service.  Refreshing to see airlines do the right thing.

i appreciate there is a large part of the US population so unhealthy that they may not be able to abide by the new rules, hopefully things get better or they get more healthy so they too can enjoy these things while still behaving in a safe,  responsible, and considerate  manner for the greater group. 

What I am addressing has nothing to do with being unhealthy in the context I believe you are thinking. I refer to those who get serious skin reactions to masks but must continue to work. I refer to those who get headaches from prolonged mask wearing but must continue to work. But mostly I refer to those even larger numbers of people who suffer from anxiety and panic attacks—the invisible to us symptoms until they erupt in very visible reactions. They are doing the best they can and it is not like they are going to “get healthy”. It serves no purpose to call everyone not wearing a mask irresponsible or inconsiderate and shaming them when quite frankly there are many instances where mask wearing is ridiculous. According to the experts, you won’t transfer virus by simply passing someone on the street or in a store. You won’t transfer virus if you are one of two people in a business and are at opposite ends of the building. There is an element of time required. 

Unfortunately, masking “rules” were made to be understood by anyone which makes them elemental and absolute. Then no one needs to think of what the real risk is in a particular situation. This leads to thinking people raising objections.