Am I going back to cruising?

Mariazur

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

For us, the current MSC restrictions are a very small price to pay for the positives of being on a ship at sea.  That's what we cruise for; ports and socializing are way down on our list of what's important.  We would happily book an MSC cruise as soon as we are eligible.

X2. Perhaps some of the posters and doubters here should relax. There is no moron or irresponsible types on MSC ship they spoke of. Rules are straight and they are diligently enforced. If you love sea days and ocean air which I do, you should have an enjoyable cruise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Hopefully the cruise lines (and authorities) will have learned from the past year, and not mishandle the next plague if (more likely, when) it comes along.

I have the same hope, unfortunately based on history the answer is no they will not learn.

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

For many of us who accept the fact that cruising, indoor dining and other congregate activities is utterly changed by this airborne pandemic, its not a negative outlook.  It is what it is, and we choose not to be part of it. 

I have a positive attitude about maintaining health. It's not fear or anger, it's accepting that I don't have to be "going against the wind" to quote Bob Seeger.

Good point — accepting reality, and coping with it intelligently,  is not having a negative outlook:  it is simply being realistic and acting like a grown up.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Mariazur said:

CDC? You forget the rest of the world is not in the USA. Actually most of them are saying something similar.  Nontheless I have come to the conclusion that ' they', whoever 'they' are, want the the joy taken out of the world.

You must have forgotten, or did not read, the many posts here on Cruise Critic regarding ships with COVID patients aboard in the six weeks or so between the time the virus started to globalize and the date when cruise lines were shut down.  People were quarantined onboard at least one ship for weeks. Others will ill on board with no means for the cruise line to test them and see whether they had the virus or not. Ports would not let passengers disembark for fear of either spreading the virus or overwhelming health care resources that were already having a hard time coping. Frail elderly people were dumped off voyages at ports that were tens of thousands of miles from their homes.  Some have not yet gotten their luggage back.  Some crew did not make it home for months.

Some people died of COVID aboard a few of these ships and many were ill either on board or after getting home.

Taking all the joy out of the world, you say? :classic_dry:

• Like 4

I can't remember where I read it, but I thought I saw that MSC had set up medical facilities in the ports, so I presumed that anyone who tested positive would be removed from the ship by people wearing PPE and have treatment on shore, at these facilities.

2 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Another great thing I forgot to add about the likely new experience is that muster drills in their inefficient and nauseating form will likely be eliminated for good.

Is this an attempt at satire or just careless and confused?

• Like 2

Planning our first two post covid trips.  The first, fall 2021, will be Greece and Cyprus.  Subject to the covid situation of course. The second is winter 2022 in Thailand.  Independent trravel. 

We are not even thinking about, planning or shoppng any cruises at the moment. Furthest from our travel plans and aspirations at the moment.  Perhaps later in 2022.  No desire to....either DW or me.

• Like 1

I would point out that we probably ALL have been in contact with someone who has the Covid, we just didnt know it. Grocery stores,  pharmacies, etc....Its simply a choice of what you feel comfortable with... Just follow the recommended guidelines. 

• Like 2

I would think the odds of the average person having been in proximity to someone with covid are pretty good.  Otherwise why would we have to wear masks and social distance.   The advice to follow recommended guidelines to protect ourselves seems like a pretty obvious point to me.      

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I would think the odds of the average person having been in proximity to someone with covid are pretty good.  Otherwise why would we have to wear masks and social distance.   The advice to follow recommended guidelines to protect ourselves seems like a pretty obvious point to me.      

The thread is supposed to be about going back to cruising; not wearing masks, personal separation, washing hands, etc....  The poster said ‘in contact’ with someone who has CV19, not in proximity, whatever you mean by that.  Maybe less than 2m distance for an extended period of time?

3 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

The thread is supposed to be about going back to cruising; not wearing masks, personal separation, washing hands, etc....  The poster said ‘in contact’ with someone who has CV19, not in proximity, whatever you mean by that.  Maybe less than 2m distance for an extended period of time?

This far in the pandemic how could anyone not understand what someone would mean by saying "in proximity" when discussing the need to wear masks or social distance?     So I guess I now have to ask what is your point?  

30 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Quote from the above referenced article. “The CDC told states this month they should be ready to receive a coronavirus vaccine as early as Nov. 1“.

So it still comes down to semantics. Available and ready to initiate a few million doses (perfectly good start) or widely available.

I read today that they do not expect a vaccine until the latter part of 2021.

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Quote from the above referenced article. “The CDC told states this month they should be ready to receive a coronavirus vaccine as early as Nov. 1“.

So it still comes down to semantics. Available and ready to initiate a few million doses (perfectly good start) or widely available.

And as has been mentioned here, I see no reason to believer that your average cruise passenger will be anywhere near the head of the line. So mid-'21 sounds pretty impressive.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I read today that they do not expect a vaccine until the latter part of 2021.

The above quote from the CDC was dated three hours ago so I doubt they contradicted themselves that much that quickly. Who is they? Having a viable vaccine, having ready availability, and having everyone vaccinated are all different things. I don’t doubt you read that.

I read a headline yesterday that the Sturgis rally is responsible for over 260,000 cases. In the article it says that only 287 cases are confirmed by contact tracing as being related to anyone who attended the rally. Headlines are created to attract attention and sensationalize and often times even the articles follow suit. Sometimes, however, true information can be gleaned by critical reading.

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

A few doses MIGHT be available "as early as Nov. 1".  Sure -- and pigs MIGHT fly by then.

Telling states that they "should be ready to receive a coronavirus vaccine" is very different from saying they will.  Of course, they should prepare protocols for distribution in advance - rather than wait.

RESPONSIBLE  comments from CDC  and epidemiologists indicate that it will be well into 2021 before  substantial distribution of a vaccine could be anticipated.  And, that is only IF any effective vaccine is developed at all -- which, at this point, is no sure thing.

Edited by navybankerteacher

7 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

A few doses MIGHT be available "as early as Nov. 1".  Sure -- and pigs MIGHT fly by then.

Telling states that they "should be ready to receive a coronavirus vaccine" is very different from saying they will.  Of course, they should prepare protocols for distribution in advance - rather than wait.

RESPONSIBLE  comments from CDC  and epidemiologists indicate that it will be well into 2021 before  substantial distribution of a vaccine could be anticipated.  And, that is only IF any effective vaccine is developed at all -- which, at this point, is no sure thing.

Translation:Do not expect a viable vaccine until 2022 at the earliest.

The analogy here is like the standard question....

Are we there Yet ????  we get there when we get there !!!..

So with that in mind a Vaccine will be available in due course, but it's true effectiveness will only really be known once given to the masses........     We are not there Yet.....

Have a nice day Don  

31 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Just listened again to Director Redfield: late second quarter, early third quarter.

On 9/11/2020 at 12:26 PM, sfaaa said:

X2. Perhaps some of the posters and doubters here should relax. There is no moron or irresponsible types on MSC ship they spoke of. Rules are straight and they are diligently enforced. If you love sea days and ocean air which I do, you should have an enjoyable cruise.

CDC director Redfield said today that he thinks masks are the most important thing so I'm betting CDC won't release ships until they commit to enforcing a mask policy.