The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Aha, the left panel! But I did not expect a figure in the middle.

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

@notamermaidit's a place I think you should maybe know... 🙂

Okayyy, sounds as if I should get a slight feeling of embarrassment. I think I recognize Franziskus as the word, but I do not know where this is.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Okayyy, sounds as if I should get a slight feeling of embarrassment.

Yup... Oh dear.

Too late at night to give the answer and not follow it with a new photo.

Have a good evening over there.

notamermaid

You are looking down onto a French village square with from the top of a castle or prominent building that is lit up at night. There is a restaurant next door. Apart from the country, that does not really narrow it down 😁.

notamermaid

21 hours ago, Daisi said:

Here is a pic for @notamermaidso she can place it. 

Thank you for the photo. I admit, I have never looked at the details of the building above the ground floor. I know the shop and I have had something to drink in the café next door (quite a few years ago). Judging from a very comprehensive site of a local architecture enthusiast, the Franziskus statue is not related to anything around it, the building is old but the facade quite remodelled after 1900, so that, which I kind of thought, there is a mix of styles in this. The revamped facade is apparently modelled on the Engel-Apotheke (pharmacy) in Worms. Well, this whole thing tells you that I really wanted to find out more about this building and that someone out there has got even more time and resources to find details about old houses than me. :classic_wink:

notamermaid

@notamermaid, the decor on the buildings fascinated us when we were over, as we don't see it as much here.  I know a lot was rebuilt after the war, but appreciated that they did so as it was done originally.  I thought when looking back at my pictures that it was part of the Jesuit school, however it was just across from it.  

Being short, in groups you tend to look up a lot, as you can't usually see anything else!  I guess that's why a lot of my pics are first floor and above. 🙂

• Like 1

I think I heard it on a Rick Steeves program, that after the WWII German towns had the choice of re-building as things were, or modernizing.  Rick said Munich restored to what was there, while Frankfurt went modern.  Having never been to either place, I'll take his comments with a grain of salt.

I have never looked in detail into this, but I would say it is a mixed picture depending on where you are and how much was destroyed and who was in charge at the time. I have never heard of a "voting for or against restoring" but as I said I do not know much about this phase after WWII. I know of one anecdotal story that is true: in Trier around the market square there were plans to build in a more modern style but the locals wanted the old houses back and protested. So the market square as you see it today is very close in appearance to what it was before the war. How much richer the town in character is for it! Yes, full disclosure, architecture as a good word stops for me at around 1930. Most of the time.

As regards Frankfurt: not much was rebuilt and Frankfurt is very modern. But some years ago they decided to get back the character of the old Frankfurt around the Dom and rebuild with the old facades after having knocked down some 50's and 60's buildings. To much protest, some people wanted to retain the open view towards the Dom. I do not know how they solved that problem, but Frankfurt has some of its old town back. And it is a success! Have not seen it in person yet, though.

Give me an uneven square or pavement like in Canal archive's photo any day!

Anybody got any clue? I am stuck.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Frankfurt info

We live fairly close to a small market town called Devizes and some years ago our boat club decided to do a heritage walk with a slightly crazy local, it turned out to be excellent. He explained and showed us where many of the town centre shops have under their modern facades still the remnants of there Tudor origins. Shades of (excuse the spelling) guard e loo! CA

Long time since I’ve heard (ear, ear) that one. I’m off to Divizes (it’s a very old settlement) today I’ll keep an eye out for the ears. The locals have the most wonderful accent a bit Adge Cutler and the Worzels (on YouTube) but not quite so harsh. 
I will post another clue when I’ve doctored the photo. CA

jpalbny I see your from NY my mother was Wren in Portsmouth during the war and consequently met various young men from various different countries one a young man from the Bronx and he supposedly tought her this little ditty, accent required.

There we’re 33 little birds sitting on a kerb burping and chirping and chewing worms, when along comes dirty girty from the gas works and was greatly perturbed. 
What it means I don’t know maybe just a bit of fun. CA

On 6/7/2021 at 6:18 AM, Daisi said:

Being short, in groups you tend to look up a lot, as you can't usually see anything else!  I guess that's why a lot of my pics are first floor and above.

Well, it makes for some very interesting photos. 🙂 I really like the detail on the building.

• Like 1