The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

No problem. Actually, it is just a fun thing, saying "over to you" or your turn" or something. :classic_smile:

Props? A nice idea to commemorate the important event, it really looks kind of official.

Sorry, my photo was not taken in Alsace.

notamermaid

To me it looks like some vine village at the Moselle. But no idea which one.

Well is it Cocham? Such a pretty place we moored there and came back to complete new beds. An ARosa boat moored next to us and it just happened to be captained by our cruise directors husband small clue with our age group don’t walk back through our boat hand in hand (so sweet). CA

Lovely. Yes, I have heard that couples are often in river cruising, but on different ships. Same ships happens of course, as well. We had a young couple on our river cruise. They walked hand in hand on their day off into Vienna.

It is not Cochem, this place is smaller and officially a village not a town. Like Cochem it is on the left bank of the river.

notamermaid

8 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Is the Willi Haag winery located in this village?

That would be Brauneberg the internet tells me. Sorry, no.

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Another thought is it Hatzenport? CA the architecture looks familiar. 

Sorry, no.

This place is a river cruise port.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info

43 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

is it Krov? 

Sorry, it isn't. I think a cryptic clue is needed. So: Listen! This is a foreign language lesson. Understand it and you can pay homage to this gentleman here where he was born.

notamermaid

Embarrassed that I missed the clue about the birthplace of my hero. I guess I should have paid more attention to the history exhibit at the Audi museum in Ingolstadt. Probably, I was thinking about what food I'd get from their cafeteria instead.

So the town is Winningen, on the Mosel. Birthplace of August Horch.

• Like 2

And my old German mechanic used to correct my pronunciation of the car.  Since it was named for a Latin word, it is 'AWE-dy.'  [He also said we get the country name wrong.  It is 'OW-stria.'  So we have both backwards!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

So the town is Winningen, on the Mosel. Birthplace of August Horch.

Correct! August Horch founded the Horch company in Cologne Ehrenfeld. The rest is history.

The VDP vineyards are the Winninger Uhlen and the Winninger Röttgen: https://www.vdp.de/en/the-wines/vineyardonline/region/mosel-saar-ruwer

This is a photo of the end of the Röttgen on the left bank, with the entrance to the village on the left under the railway line:

DSCN2612.thumb.JPG.1420cd4a05adcfa2dea8d9c915b339c9.JPG

Winningen has some really lovely old buildings, a few nice taverns, a marina and is a bit overlooked, with Koblenz so close by and Cochem a more alluring stop. My original photo is of buildings in Herrenstrasse and I drew over the info on the right side so as to not give it away:

1749791753_DSCN2611-Kopie(2).thumb.JPG.d684886822b7f6df5e88d0820d293e26.JPG

I went there on a day out in autumn 2019.

Over to you, jpalbny.

notamermaid

Sorry for the late posting. It gives Renmar a head start, and our poor EU/UK friends are fast asleep. I got distracted with work stuff this evening, unfortunately, so just getting back to this game.

Name this structure or its precise location, city, and river. 

175095797_CCPic39.thumb.jpg.b110cb1f7c94537dac267864193baf61.jpg

Thanks JP for the head start but I like to give the people on the other side of the pond an equal chance. I have seen this in 2017 when we were docked not too far from there during an ocean cruise with Princess. We were on a back to back and used the turnover day to tour a (very) small part of this port. I remember our tour guide pointing this complex out, across the river, and explained the significance of it. It was hard to see the details from that far away but I remember that it is on an Island.

Time to go to sleep now. I'll see tomorrow morning if there is a right answer from someone.

Theo

Edited by Renmar
spelling