The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

This looks a nice, quiet and inviting small square. I like watching workers setting stone. It appears they are putting a pattern there to mark the outline of a former building, but it may just be a shadow.

@dogs4fun are you around to claim your prize? 🙂 

notamermaid 

On 6/10/2021 at 5:04 AM, notamermaid said:

This looks a nice, quiet and inviting small square. I like watching workers setting stone. It appears they are putting a pattern there to mark the outline of a former building, but it may just be a shadow.

notamermaid 

I would not be surprised if most of us are now looking at the river cruise itineraries just in case there is a full season coming up.

Theo  

On 6/10/2021 at 7:04 AM, notamermaid said:

notamermaid 

I am guessing he would be fine if someone wanted to claim his prize - he would probably just call it a wildcard anyway!

Hm. Nice one.

My first thought was the Dnieper but Chris says the text is Russian, not Ukrainian. So next I went to Crimea but I don't find this statue in my pix from either Yalta, Sebastopol, or Odessa.

The Russian text certainly doesn't rule out Ukraine and the Dnieper but I don't know where this statue is.

4 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Hm. Nice one.

My first thought was the Dnieper but Chris says the text is Russian, not Ukrainian. So next I went to Crimea but I don't find this statue in my pix from either Yalta, Sebastopol, or Odessa.

The Russian text certainly doesn't rule out Ukraine and the Dnieper but I don't know where this statue is.

Yes, the text is Russian and talks about the eternal glory of the victorious Red Army in their fight against faschist Germany. Could be anywhere between Berlin and Wladivostok. I cannot read the writing on those dark stone plates though. Flat landscape in the background cannot narrow it down, too, as this is frequently met in eastern Europe.  No guess from my side yet.

Carrying on with the game and believing it is alright with @dogs4fun were my sentiments last night. I would have waited till today, but you lot are eager to play, so that is lovely!

10 hours ago, Renmar said:

I would not be surprised if most of us are now looking at the river cruise itineraries just in case there is a full season coming up.

Theo  

Yes, that is how it should be. Just hope dogs4fun is busy with that and not a computer breakdown or power outage. Or anything else we do not want to think about.

So, banishing negative thoughts, let us look at CPT Trips photo. Thanks for the translation, AnhaltER1960. While this looks to be in Russia, I also go with your wide estimate. Former official site in East Berlin? Bulgarian Russian cemetery? No idea.

notamermaid

• Like 1

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Just hope dogs4fun is busy with that and not a computer breakdown or power outage.

Apologies - was away on a family outing.

Regarding the photo posted by @CPT Trips, a hint:  this memorial can be found in a city along the Elbe. 🙂

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

dogs4fun .  .  .  I think you know the exact site. 👏  You are correct on all counts. 

The two darker markers were added many years after the monument was installed.

Here’s a big hint. Sorry it’s sideways, I can’t figure out how to correct that.image.thumb.jpeg.6f159a62174c2140f3adc33ae5a5ec81.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6f159a62174c2140f3adc33ae5a5ec81.jpeg

Ofcourse @dogs4fun knows where it is! One of these days @dogs4funneeds to share some personal info on how he is so well traveled! Did he live over there, had a job that allowed for traveling over there, what made him so interested in Russian history/area, etc.... His knowledge is so impressive!

Hopefully this will post that picture correctly:

image.thumb.jpeg.6f159a62174c2140f3adc33ae5a5ec81.thumb.jpeg.23dfa1310cceb3b0b74af9e0c7671664.jpeg

Edited by Coral

3 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

I think these are merely German & English translations of the Russian inscription. 

I think youre right. After remembering the place I recall these inscripts were added in different languages. Next to a famous bridge, which survived the war, but not the post-unification construction boom.

2 hours ago, Coral said:

Ofcourse @dogs4fun knows where it is! One of these days @dogs4funneeds to share some personal info on how he is so well traveled! Did he live over there, had a job that allowed for traveling over there, what made him so interested in Russian history/area, etc.... His knowledge is so impressive!

Hopefully this will post that picture correctly:

🙏👏

• Like 1

I am at home, catching up with housework and a private research project, after a busy (for me) week at work.

I was waiting for the official virtual prize hand-over ceremony from CPT Trips but I can skip the ceremony, they have told us it is correct of course. 🙂 Just wondering what the second photo shows. @CPT Trips did you have some ceremony during your cruise there?

So, hooray, I got it and I will give the credit that is certainly due, to @AnhaltER1960 for a history lesson in the Elbe thread some time last year. I know I have said this before, but this combined knowledge of geography and history here on CC (with a bit of internet info added) makes for learning that is much more fun than school and gives more context than any school book can provide. Together with the second photo as a massive hint and that memory from last year, my brain combined correctly.

Photo coming up later in the day.

notamermaid

• Like 1

5 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I was waiting for the official virtual prize hand-over ceremony from CPT Trips but I can skip the ceremony, they have told us it is correct of course. 🙂 Just wondering what the second photo shows. @CPT Trips did you have some ceremony during your cruise there?

notamermaid

Entschuldigung. I was unaware of the ceremony. 

The photo was simply a group photo with some props our “trip experience leader” brought along. 

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

Entschuldigung. I was unaware of the ceremony. 

The photo was simply a group photo with some props our “trip experience leader” brought along. 

No problem. Actually, it is just a fun thing, saying "over to you" or your turn" or something. :classic_smile:

Props? A nice idea to commemorate the important event, it really looks kind of official.

58 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

It looks Alsatian to me.

Sorry, my photo was not taken in Alsace.

notamermaid