COVID-19 Surging Across Europe

Ride-The-Waves

On 11/1/2020 at 12:36 PM, Fouremco said:

We never buy bottled water, but I do know families who shun tap water and will only drink the bottled variety. I guess those are the ones stocking up.

good point.  I have some relatives like that.  Heaven forbid they should have to drink tap water for a month or two😱 (and we have safe tap water in our area so that is not an issue)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I am hopeful (or perhaps misguided) that the second wave of the pandemic will not cause widespread panic and hoarding behavior in my area of PA.  Some folks will for sure.  But there is a lot more experience dealing with this as a society than the shock and uncertainty in March.  For us back then we did experience shortages of some items at our stores but eventually with some planning and persistence we got almost everything we needed.  Sometimes at a higher price.   The supply chain is so much more prepared now.  I personally will pledge here to avoid hoarding behavior and take my chances.  Anybody want to join me in this pledge?😀

I agree - we've been through one shutdown now so hopefully people will not go crazy like last time.  I was on one of the last cruises, arriving home March 13.  As I normally do after a 3 week vacation, I went to the grocery store the next day.  Unbelievable!  No toilet paper, no paper towels, no napkins, no boxed pasta, no beans, no milk, no eggs, no spaghetti sauce, no flour and definitely no yeast to name just a few (really people!  how many of you honestly felt you would need to suddenly turn into a baker - geez!).  

I am pledging not to be a hoarder.  That said, having seen the idiocy last time, and being close to 70 years old with winter and its lovely weather coming soon, I will likely keep a couple weeks worth of supplies in my house.   To me that seems reasonable.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I agree - we've been through one shutdown now so hopefully people will not go crazy like last time.  I was on one of the last cruises, arriving home March 13.  As I normally do after a 3 week vacation, I went to the grocery store the next day.  Unbelievable!  No toilet paper, no paper towels, no napkins, no boxed pasta, no beans, no milk, no eggs, no spaghetti sauce, no flour and definitely no yeast to name just a few (really people!  how many of you honestly felt you would need to suddenly turn into a baker - geez!).  

I am pledging not to be a hoarder.  That said, having seen the idiocy last time, and being close to 70 years old with winter and its lovely weather coming soon, I will likely keep a couple weeks worth of supplies in my house.   To me that seems reasonable.  

Curious as to whether chair hogs are hoarders too?  Good discussion to have here on CC for fun.😀

We still have a hard time finding odd things like toilet bowl cleaner.  WHY?? Recently stores have been stocking a lot of no-name TP, paper towels, napkins, cleaners, soaps, etc.  Actually aisles full of these things.  The generic item supply chain has been turned on big time and they are making a $bundle$.  Unlike March we can readily get masks and hand sanitizers. Plenty around everywhere.  So things have improved greatly since March.

We are with you- no need to hoard a year's worth of paper products or other commonly hoarded items.  Of course some people will go for a second round and I guess these people have very full garages.  This would be more controlled if the stores just enforced their 1 or 2 item limits.  Anyway we will probably try to keep about a month's worth of crucial items going into the winter.  I think that is reasonable and at least I don't consider that breaking my "no hoarder" pledge.  More like the Boy Scout "Be Prepared" motto.

• Like 2

At the start of the pandemic here in NY, we went out ONLY for groceries, drug store needs and med appts that were needed.   Tried to limit  outings to every other week.   Now we go more often but  with a smaller shopping list..still isolating as much as we can...but very nervous about upcoming flight to Fla. But we have to go.

I now do dh haircuts, my haircuts and other hairdressing needs.  Have become fairly adept at it all and saving tons of money!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I went to sam's this weekend and they only had store brand toilet paper and paper towels available.  Not sure if they were restricting sales of other brands or if another shortage is starting.

Did you also check the newspapers and phone book section? Bet they are all out.

8 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I am hopeful (or perhaps misguided) that the second wave of the pandemic will not cause widespread panic and hoarding behavior in my area of PA.  Some folks will for sure.  But there is a lot more experience dealing with this as a society than the shock and uncertainty in March.  For us back then we did experience shortages of some items at our stores but eventually with some planning and persistence we got almost everything we needed.  Sometimes at a higher price.   The supply chain is so much more prepared now.  I personally will pledge here to avoid hoarding behavior and take my chances.  Anybody want to join me in this pledge?😀

Tee rick, I just noticed your adorable dog. Is it Golden doodle?  Both my kids got golden doodles recently.

14 hours ago, cantstopingcruising said:

Tee rick, I just noticed your adorable dog. Is it Golden doodle?  Both my kids got golden doodles recently.

That is Lena.  She is a 2.5 year old Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier.  She was a puppy when that picture was taken.  I guess I should update it!  Very often she gets confused with Golden Doodles.  They are similar size and coat color and like Doodles do not shed.

20 hours ago, hcat said:

At the start of the pandemic here in NY, we went out ONLY for groceries, drug store needs and med appts that were needed.   Tried to limit  outings to every other week.   Now we go more often but  with a smaller shopping list..still isolating as much as we can...but very nervous about upcoming flight to Fla. But we have to go.

I now do dh haircuts, my haircuts and other hairdressing needs.  Have become fairly adept at it all and saving tons of money!

Today, here in west-central Florida, we did the same and are still practicing all the safety protocols: go to Publix for groceries bi-weekly (usually early on Sundays when fewer people are shopping), medical appointments, refuel the car about once a month (usually just to top it off - about a quarter tank), shop on-line and thankful for USPS, and do not travel outside the local area.  Have taken several local "trips" of maybe 4 hours each to see something "different" - no restrooms and maybe a stop at a drive-through.  Intend to keep this up through the Florida "winter."  Hopefully by northern hemisphere Spring things will be looking up.  Not counting on a vaccine to fix everything - that is a "pie in the sky" perspective.  We have to follow good health practices, use PPE and social distancing to get through all this...  We did vote "early" in persona two weeks ago!

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

21 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Curious as to whether chair hogs are hoarders too?  Good discussion to have here on CC for fun.😀

We still have a hard time finding odd things like toilet bowl cleaner.  WHY?? Recently stores have been stocking a lot of no-name TP, paper towels, napkins, cleaners, soaps, etc.  Actually aisles full of these things.  The generic item supply chain has been turned on big time and they are making a $bundle$.  Unlike March we can readily get masks and hand sanitizers. Plenty around everywhere.  So things have improved greatly since March.

We are with you- no need to hoard a year's worth of paper products or other commonly hoarded items.  Of course some people will go for a second round and I guess these people have very full garages.  This would be more controlled if the stores just enforced their 1 or 2 item limits.  Anyway we will probably try to keep about a month's worth of crucial items going into the winter.  I think that is reasonable and at least I don't consider that breaking my "no hoarder" pledge.  More like the Boy Scout "Be Prepared" motto.

I have to laugh, I never considered us hoarders in the prepper sense, we are more hoarders in the "can't bear to throw anything away" sense. And DH is a Silver Beaver, for those who know what that means.

When this hit last spring, he went around our house gathering supplies, and I'm thinking we are in trouble because most of the things that were disappearing were items we usually only replace as needed, don't stock. I got home from work and we have 5 cans of Lysol spray, one big container of hand sanitizer, a gallon of liquid hand soap, over 40 rolls of toilet paper and and don't know how many containers of Chlorox wipes (about half of which were dry) I said, what the heck? DH says look what all I found, you forgot Christmas. Christmas 2018 we had a houseful of company for a week, so we had stocked all the bathrooms in the house with lots of extra supplies for the guests, and just forgot. Also, my son always cleaned his bathroom with Chlorox wipes (what can I say, I was happy a teenage boy even tried) so remember we never throw anything away, so we had a whole stock of ancient Chlorox wipes hiding under his sink. We did share some of those things with people (not as crazy as us) who were less well supplied, but we felt like the person pushing the cart full of toilet paper out of Walmart.

Off to Costco....

3 hours ago, cangelmd said:

I have to laugh, I never considered us hoarders in the prepper sense, we are more hoarders in the "can't bear to throw anything away" sense. And DH is a Silver Beaver, for those who know what that means.

When this hit last spring, he went around our house gathering supplies, and I'm thinking we are in trouble because most of the things that were disappearing were items we usually only replace as needed, don't stock. I got home from work and we have 5 cans of Lysol spray, one big container of hand sanitizer, a gallon of liquid hand soap, over 40 rolls of toilet paper and and don't know how many containers of Chlorox wipes (about half of which were dry) I said, what the heck? DH says look what all I found, you forgot Christmas. Christmas 2018 we had a houseful of company for a week, so we had stocked all the bathrooms in the house with lots of extra supplies for the guests, and just forgot. Also, my son always cleaned his bathroom with Chlorox wipes (what can I say, I was happy a teenage boy even tried) so remember we never throw anything away, so we had a whole stock of ancient Chlorox wipes hiding under his sink. We did share some of those things with people (not as crazy as us) who were less well supplied, but we felt like the person pushing the cart full of toilet paper out of Walmart.

Off to Costco....

What was normal has changed to what is normal today.  Likely the same change will occur upon return to cruising in some yet to be determined future.  We will adjust - humans always have.  Ordering 4 containers of Lysol wipes at one time is beginning to feel normal.  Buying TP by the case, same.  Wearing a paper mask everywhere you go is not yet "normal," but getting close.  At some point it may feel discomforting to go without a mask or stand within 6 feet of someone else.  

7 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

At some point it may feel discomforting to go without a mask or stand within 6 feet of someone else.  

While I acknowledge that possibility, I hate the thought that it will ever feel normal for either one of those.  I wear a mask now 10 hours a day at work, it's okay, I know I need to do that to protect others and myself, but I don't ever want it to feel normal.  I want to get back to a place where when I want to hug someone who just needs a hug I can do that....

so please let us all do what we need to do to get through to the other side of this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

While I acknowledge that possibility, I hate the thought that it will ever feel normal for either one of those.  I wear a mask now 10 hours a day at work, it's okay, I know I need to do that to protect others and myself, but I don't ever want it to feel normal.  I want to get back to a place where when I want to hug someone who just needs a hug I can do that....

so please let us all do what we need to do to get through to the other side of this. 

Perhaps it will become normal for people with colds and flus to wear masks, reducing the spread. It would be nice if people that rights are important, though they do not negate the need for responsibilities. Maybe we can come through this with more attention to our responsibility to each other not to deliberately spread disease.

Yes, I know that a better system of paid sick leave would greatly reduce disease spread, I'm not ignoring that. I'm just hoping that we can move toward more responsibility toward our fellow humans. 

As for hugging people other than just my husband or kids: that sounds fantastic!!!!!

• Like 2

Can I ask a question of people please 

Why are people wearing mask covering the chin and mouth but not their nose??

Droplets come out of the nose and that will spread this damn virus, I want to tell people to wear a mask properly. My DH says at least they are wearing one but I say they can still spread it !!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Droplets come out of the nose and that will spread this damn virus, I want to tell people to wear a mask properly. My DH says at least they are wearing one but I say they can still spread it !!

note - I am not defending people who do this

why do they do this? Because they don’t believe that masks are necessary or effective in stopping spread, but they know masks are required so they abide by the rules and wear them. Wearing them ‘correctly’ isn’t something they are concerned with. They stick their nose out because they will say it’s easier to breath. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, emmas gran said:

This drives me a bit nutty too when I see this.  But perhaps they just tested negative or maybe were infected and recovered and are not spreading the virus.  Or maybe they are just protesting mask wearing in their own little way.  Who knows.  I've decided personally not to waste energy on any of this.  Just be responsible for myself and family.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

This drives me a bit nutty too when I see this.  But perhaps they just tested negative or maybe were infected and recovered and are not spreading the virus.  Or maybe they are just protesting mask wearing in their own little way.  Who knows.  I've decided personally not to waste energy on any of this.  Just be responsible for myself and family.

At this point I don't think there is any sure way of knowing whether one is immune to reinfection or whether one may still be spreading the virus asymptomatically even after symptoms stop. 

The whole point of wearing a mask is to protect OTHERS. So yes, as an OTHER, I would be concerned when I see people not wearing their masks correctly, especially when I can't socially distance or when they are in a role that requires contact with others -- such as a deli worker in a grocery store (yes, I saw one recently wearing her 'chin strap' proudly.....:classic_dry:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, emmas gran said:

This really winds me up! Really people, either wear a mask properly or don't bother! Also people who push straight past you as you santise your hands and basket before shopping. 🤬 Grrrr.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

I am so glad it’s not just me who gets annoyed with these Covidiots.
Also read that people can get an exemption card if they have medical conditions, 

however these cards are now for sale on EBay.

Liz

There is no REAL exemption card, as far as I can tell.  

However, there have been numerous warnings about the FAKE ones in circulation. Both ADA and the DoJ have said they are not affiliated with any such cards, even though the fakes often have one or both logos.

The only real exemption that should be taken seriously would be directly from a physician regarding a specific patient.

31 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

There is no REAL exemption card, as far as I can tell.  

However, there have been numerous warnings about the FAKE ones in circulation. Both ADA and the DoJ have said they are not affiliated with any such cards, even though the fakes often have one or both logos.

The only real exemption that should be taken seriously would be directly from a physician regarding a specific patient.

There should be no exemptions, period. If you can't wear a mask, for any reason, stay home. Why risk the health of all the people you come in contact with if you have it. Also consider your own health. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Because they do not know any better, but hopefully they will get educated and learn why wearing one properly is important.

9 minutes ago, nocl said:

Because they do not know any better, but hopefully they will get educated and learn why wearing one properly is important.

They will when they catch the virus and become sick. That's the only way they'll learn.