90% effective vaccine EVEN without booster shot...

The first vaccination has taken place in the UK this morning, a 90 year old lady in Northern Ireland. And the second person- would you believe it - a gentleman called William Shakespeare 😁

Edited by Bobal
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Bobal said:

The first vaccination has taken place in the UK this morning, a 90 year old lady in Northern Ireland. And the second person- would you believe it - a gentleman called William Shakespeare 😁

BBC News - Covid-19 vaccine: First person receives Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine in UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55227325

Good news indeed, beginning of the end. Our health secretary says he has hopes for foreign summer holidays next year. Still a long winter ahead of us though 

22 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm around my parents and I'm a senior, and they are elderly, but could be front line workers like grocery store workers first. Even the news says past nursing homes the order is murky.. I heard 2 different doctors just this morning arguing about the order. My bil and sister both have underlying conditions and doing church and she gets her  nails done. He says god will protect him. I worry about them being around my parents, but my mom says she isnt shutting them out. 

I'd sure like to get this started. ... and it's not me I'm worried about.....but even doctors are arguing about the order. I heard by april or may everyone who wants the vaccine should be able to get it this morning. I just hope none of us gets it before then, my fingers are crossed. The more vaccinated the safer the rest of us are.

Where are you seeing this? I'm seeing reports that the US declined to purchase additional doses and most people will have to wait until at least June 2021......

34 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Where are you seeing this? I'm seeing reports that the US declined to purchase additional doses and most people will have to wait until at least June 2021......

That has been all over the news here today.  The WH declined to purchase or even option the purchase of more of them

• Like 1

I'm probably going to get flamed for this but just saw in the UK the first person to get vaccinated was a 91 year old woman.  Certainly don't wish her harm but I would think the first to be vaccinated should be health care works or even those over 60 that have a greater life span left (hopefully)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

I'm probably going to get flamed for this but just saw in the UK the first person to get vaccinated was a 91 year old woman.  Certainly don't wish her harm but I would think the first to be vaccinated should be health care works or even those over 60 that have a greater life span left (hopefully)

No flames from me. My wife told me NYU Langone employees will be vaccinated before all of the patients will.  I wonder how they decided who the first person in the UK would be. Maybe it was a lottery drawing. Also the medication that the White House received for Covid is very limited and they are prescribing only to select individuals. It’s like being on a kidney list.

12 hours ago, meadowlander said:

Even more surprising considering we were promised 300 million vaccines by January 1,2021 but with 1 million new cases in 5 days, we are as promised "rounding the corner".

It's just a very round corner, a corner so round the likes of which the world has never seen.  Perfectly round this corner.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

No flames from me. My wife told me NYU Langone employees will be vaccinated before all of the patients will.  I wonder how they decided who the first person in the UK would be. Maybe it was a lottery drawing. Also the medication that the White House received for Covid is very limited and they are prescribing only to select individuals. It’s like being on a kidney list.

No flames from me either, but it's obviously a very fine line to tread and it seems that they prefer to err on the side of preventing many deaths by treating those most likely to die. As for who they decided to be first I would think there was an element of PR involved and she may well not have been the very first. I mistakenly said that she was in Northern Ireland when she was actually originally from NI but living in England. Certainly reports from Wales and Northern Ireland show health care workers who are going to give the vaccinations as being amongst the first to be vaccinated.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Below link shows the priority. First is meant to be care home workers and staff but in practice because  this vaccine has to be kept in such extreme conditions is seems that group 2, over 80s and health workers are getting the vaccine first. Think the lady is more of a 'nominal' first for the media, and actually all day across the four nations health workers and the elderly have been receiving the vaccine. Hopefully in a few weeks our elderly who have been shielding for 9 months will be able to see and hug their loved ones again 

BBC News - When will you be eligible for the Covid vaccine?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55045639

Edited by sgmn

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

This lady worked in a jewelry shop until she was 87.

She looked about 75 when we watched her getting the first vaccine on TV this morning from a hospital in Coventry England.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, grapau27 said:

This lady worked in a jewelry shop until she was 87.

She looked about 75 when we watched her getting the first vaccine on TV this morning from a hospital in Coventry England.

Our news media this morning indicate possible reactions to first round of shots. You hear anything across the pond?

M8

The people who received the vaccine that had a reaction already suffered from allergies so much that they carried epipens.  So please take that into consideration.  Here is link.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/09/pfizer-covid-vaccine-nhs-extreme-allergy-sufferers-regulators-reaction

I wonder if 1.  Any questions were asked either in person or on a form if known subject had any allergic reactions to anything in the past and 2.  Why would someone with allergies that strong not wait especially with a brand new vaccine?  Just curious.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 12/8/2020 at 12:31 PM, molly361 said:

No flame from me either but the majority of older people who were vaccinated, on the 1st vaccination day, where already attending the hospital for other appointments.   

55 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Two out of how many?  I had minor reaction to the two Shingle vaccines I had this year. 

You guys call a shot/injections a “jab”?

M8

We call them jabs.

I had the flu jab and the pneumonia jab about 8 weeks ago without reactions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

6 people died during the U.S trials you know. That has not been made public that much.

Where do you see this?  I only know of the brazil case and another non US?  The Brazil case I believe didn't even receive vaccine in the trial.  If true, this would be plastered all over the news especially since some of our governors had recommended not getting the vaccine for now.  This would have given them more ammunition.  I dont want this to turn into a political point.  Im just shocked any news media would have kept this quiet.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 3