Princess Suspends Operations Until 3/31/21

Syracusefan44

14 hours ago, lstone19 said:

Not quite. The subsequent Alaska cruises they cancelled are the 14-night B2Bs. The 7-night Vancouver to Whittier and Whittier to Vancouver cruises are not listed as cancelled.

Ah yes. In looking at the list of cancelled Royal sailing and the lengths, they were all consecutive 14 day cruises. Did they just break those 14 day itin's into two 7 day itin's each to comply with the 7-day or less rule from the CDC? 

Nonethless, it's interesting they cancelled all the April sailings for Royal; I get that our 5/1 cruise is a repo for the Alaska season but why cancel all the 4, 5 and 7-day cruises just prior in April?

Edited by joepeka

9 minutes ago, joepeka said:

Ah yes. In looking at the list of cancelled Royal sailing and the lengths, they were all consecutive 14 day cruises. Did they just break those 14 day itin's into two 7 day itin's each to comply with the 7-day or less rule from the CDC? 

No. The schedule was always alternating 7-night Vancouver to Whittier and Whittier to Vancouver that could ALSO be booked as a 14-night round-trip out of Vancouver. They've cancelled the ability to book two B2B 7-nights as a 14-night but the ship's schedule has not changed, as far as I can tell, at all.

Many actual ship itineraries are, in normal circumstances, available to book as a number of different cruises as marketed. One of the most complex is the normal summer Med itineraries where the ship rotates through three 7-night itineraries from Rome to Athens to Barcelona to Rome. But it can also be booked as 14 nights from any of the three ports as well as 21 nights from any of the three ports. Which means that for, for example, when the ship leaves Rome, the passengers could be on any of six different cruises as sold by Princess:

- 7 nights Rome to Athens

- 14 nights Rome to Barcelona

- 21 nights Rome to Rome

- 14 nights Barcelona to Athens

- 21 nights Athens to Athens

- 21 nights Barcelona to Barcelona 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lstone19 said:

No. The schedule was always alternating 7-night Vancouver to Whittier and Whittier to Vancouver that could ALSO be booked as a 14-night round-trip out of Vancouver. They've cancelled the ability to book two B2B 7-nights as a 14-night but the ship's schedule has not changed, as far as I can tell, at all.

Many actual ship itineraries are, in normal circumstances, available to book as a number of different cruises as marketed. One of the most complex is the normal summer Med itineraries where the ship rotates through three 7-night itineraries from Rome to Athens to Barcelona to Rome. But it can also be booked as 14 nights from any of the three ports as well as 21 nights from any of the three ports. Which means that for, for example, when the ship leaves Rome, the passengers could be on any of six different cruises as sold by Princess:

- 21 nights Rome to Rome

Got it now. Thank you!

3 hours ago, lstone19 said:

- 21 nights Rome to Rome

And since it can be booked six ways, it also means cabins are allocated to be sold in six different clusters. So, for example, a cabin allocated to the 21 nights Rome to Rome may be unsold, but cannot be sold for the 7 nights Rome to Athens or the 14 nights Rome to Barcelona or any other cluster it is part of.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 9:54 AM, triple7tahoe said:

so far I find this interesting. We have scheduled 2- 7 day cruises out of SF on April 17 and 24th.  I have been told that the one on the 17th has been cancelled but nothing about the following cruise on the 24th. Is it just a matter of time until I get that email?

April 24 is cancelled. Advised by travel agent today. Booked using fcc only.  Am being told the fcc will be put back in our accounts possibly with some kind of bonus. 

Edited by oskidunker
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, oskidunker said:

April 24 is cancelled. Advised by travel agent today. Booked using fcc only.  Am being told the fcc will be put back in our accounts possibly with some kind of bonus. 

Might be no bonus if booked with FCC. If booked with FCD there is a 25% bonus.

On 11/21/2020 at 8:36 AM, lstone19 said:

- 21 nights Rome to Rome

Another follow up on this cancellation situation specific to Royal. We know all of Royal's sailings have been cancelled through the end of April. It's first scheduled sailing after being out of service for over a year is 5/1/2021 from LA to Vancouver (a repo for the Alaska season). I'm wondering: why has Princess kept that repo cruise on the schedule rather than just send Royal directly to Vancouver for it's first Alaska sailing on 5/8? Is there some legality (e.g. PVSA) requiring it to sail from a U.S. port after being out of U.S. waters for so long or before calling on Canada? 

1 hour ago, joepeka said:

Another follow up on this cancellation situation specific to Royal. We know all of Royal's sailings have been cancelled through the end of April. It's first scheduled sailing after being out of service for over a year is 5/1/2021 from LA to Vancouver (a repo for the Alaska season). I'm wondering: why has Princess kept that repo cruise on the schedule rather than just send Royal directly to Vancouver for it's first Alaska sailing on 5/8? Is there some legality (e.g. PVSA) requiring it to sail from a U.S. port after being out of U.S. waters for so long or before calling on Canada? 

Not PVSA but the Coast Guard usually inspects a ship when it returns to U.S. waters after extended time away and that's probably a lot easier to do at San Pedro on (or before in this case since they could bring it there early) a turnaround day that during the port call at Ketchikan, the first U.S. port it will see after departing Vancouver.

Edited by lstone19

44 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

Not PVSA but the Coast Guard usually inspects a ship when it returns to U.S. waters after extended time away and that's probably a lot easier to do at San Pedro on (or before in this case since they could bring it there early) a turnaround day that during the port call at Ketchikan, the first U.S. port it will see after departing Vancouver.

USCG, of course. I should know that since we've been on a first US sailing of a ship after it has been on Europe for a season and their inspection delayed boarding. It does make sense to do that inspection in LA especially when they can bring the ship back a day (or two) prior to embarkation for the inspections. Thanks again!

Edited by joepeka

Our Fb 13 cruise is cancelled.  If I take the FCC I can do another one in 2022 but will have 200 bucks left over.  Will happens with that? Can it be used for an excursion or OBC or what?

Port fees, taxes, insurance etc. Can that be applied to the new booking or must it be refunded?
This was to be the first Princess, but not first cruise. 

Edited by Kosh III
added

12 hours ago, Kosh III said:

Our Fb 13 cruise is cancelled.  If I take the FCC I can do another one in 2022 but will have 200 bucks left over.  Will happens with that? Can it be used for an excursion or OBC or what?

Port fees, taxes, insurance etc. Can that be applied to the new booking or must it be refunded?
This was to be the first Princess, but not first cruise. 

FCCs can only be used for the booking itself exclusive of those added on fees, taxes, etc. They cannot be used for any onboard expense, for excursions, etc.

The $200 left over can be applied to a different cruise if booked/used by the expiration date of the FCC.

1 hour ago, caribill said:

FCCs can only be used for the booking itself exclusive of those added on fees, taxes, etc. They cannot be used for any onboard expense, for excursions, etc.

The $200 left over can be applied to a different cruise if booked/used by the expiration date of the FCC.

This is correct. fCC used for cruise fare only. Book a higher category cabin or the fare that includes perks with your FCC. 

• Like 1

P&O cruises based here in the UK has just announced today that its April cruises are cancelled citing the uncertainty of docking in foreign ports.

Seems likely therefore that Princess will cancel its April European destination cruises too.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Esprit said:

P&O cruises based here in the UK has just announced today that its April cruises are cancelled citing the uncertainty of docking in foreign ports.

Seems likely therefore that Princess will cancel its April European destination cruises too.  

Cruising is going to be very difficult if there are no available ports.

• Like 1

I know I will have to email my PVP about this. 

We originally started by using one of our FCD's for an Alaska cruise in 2020. That, of course, was cancelled.

We then were offered to transfer our FCD to the Sun that was sailing to Alaska in 2021 and we did.  That cruise, of course, was cancelled.

Then we were offered to transfer it to the Crown for July 2021 to Alaska. Okay, that it would be just a movement of an FCD to that cruise. Nope. For some unknown reason they made it in to an FCC. Now I want it put back in my FCD account as such. None of this gotta use this FCC malarkey. 

This is not going to be fun but will be sending off the email today to get things back they way they were before their accounting department decided to change my FCD into a FCC. 😒

Anyone else have this scenario?

10 hours ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

Rats.  Just had our Pacific Princess Renaisance Explorer TA out of Venice cancelled next October.    That brings cancellations up to 7 so far.  Nothing left booked now.

Yeah that made no sense since the disembark date in FLL was 11/2/21, after the ban on >7 day cruises in US ports would be over. These cancelations weren’t done with a lot of thought, especially since the European itinerary cruise immediately preceding the TA is not canceled. How do they think the PP will relocate to the Caribbean without crossing the Atlantic? 😜 Such a premature decision with nearly a year to go, during which anything can happen. 

Edited by vjmatty

When our cruise last March was cancelled, Princess gave us a full refund plus a free cruise!  WE were very impressed with that.....BUT now they cancelled that cruise and will only refund the taxes we paid on our free cruise!  Guess we lost out on that deal!

33 minutes ago, r/f said:

When our cruise last March was cancelled, Princess gave us a full refund plus a free cruise!  WE were very impressed with that.....BUT now they cancelled that cruise and will only refund the taxes we paid on our free cruise!  Guess we lost out on that deal!

You should get a FCC to cover the cancelled cruise. It may take a while to show up in your account. Call Princess. 

Princess has announced cancellation of all cruises longer than 7 days up until November 1 visiting US ports; however, the October 23 TA from Southampton to FLL on Regal has not yet been cancelled.  While it departs SOU before November 1, it does not arrive US port until we’ll after November 1.  We are booked on this cruise, and wondering if it might be OK.    Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, Ichabod2 said:

Princess has announced cancellation of all cruises longer than 7 days up until November 1 visiting US ports; however, the October 23 TA from Southampton to FLL on Regal has not yet been cancelled.  While it departs SOU before November 1, it does not arrive US port until we’ll after November 1.  We are booked on this cruise, and wondering if it might be OK.    Any thoughts?

I think they may be taking a wait and see attitude about some of these cruises to see what the CDC does about changing the November date it is not set in stone

Hoping to get some clarification on current Princess procedures for 7-day Back-to-Back (B2B) cruises -  

My understanding is that Princess is not allowing B2B 7-day cruises on the same ship, but will allow you to book a B2B 7-day cruise on a different Princess ship.  Also, hearing a rumor that Princess may put a 14-day quarantine period between cruises.  Thoughts/Comments would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Walker100 said:

Hoping to get some clarification on current Princess procedures for 7-day Back-to-Back (B2B) cruises -  

My understanding is that Princess is not allowing B2B 7-day cruises on the same ship, but will allow you to book a B2B 7-day cruise on a different Princess ship.  Also, hearing a rumor that Princess may put a 14-day quarantine period between cruises.  Thoughts/Comments would be appreciated.

Believe only what you read here.  No more, no less.

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/

And even that might change before you finish reading it. 😉

These are crazy times.

Plan for the worst, and hope for the best.