Fain Now Says Vaccines, Not New Protocols Will Allow Cruising To Restart

twangster

At least he’s finally admitting what most of us have been saying on CC since March.  I am honestly not sure if he was in true denial or just trying to protect the stock price.

Just wish he’d reflect that sentiment in their cancellation timelines.

• Like 4

His use of the cliché Groundhog Day is particularly odd, IMO. Doesn’t that mean an event that happens over and over again?  Sure hope we can put this CV19 behind us soon and that it never, ever comes back!  

Too bad bad the money invested in the Healthy Sail Panel findings will not be put to good use, however, the vaccine that will eventually eradicate the virus will be more effective than the protocols that may or may not be ever implemented.

Seems like with a vaccine now in the picture, that cruises will now wait for people to get vaccinated and to see numbers go way down.  They have protocols to try and catch and deal with a positive test case (which means, stop the cruise and head back), it's not a comforting way to cruise.  And of course, you need ports to open up and life to go back to normal (or a new normal).

Yes, I agree his use of Groundhog Day is odd.    Someone needs to tell him Salons have been open for months.    Sorry I couldn't help myself!

It is nice to hear from him and to the OP, thank you for posting the link. 

As it is going to take many months for everyone to get vaccinated I suspect they will get to use their healthy sail protocols when, if, they restart cruising in the Spring.

4 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Maybe there will be NO test cruises and Royal will just wait for herd immunity to kick in😇

That's what I'm thinking!  I'll be getting vaccinated when it becomes available for me, probably not for several months.  Hopefully I'll be able to get back to cruising in 2022.

• Like 1

There will be challenges in creating herd immunity going forward. One is the number of people willing to take the vaccine and the other is how long the antibodies last. I believe RCI is working with their legal experts at the moment to determine whether they can legally require the vaccine as a requisite to cruising.

5 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Maybe there will be NO test cruises and Royal will just wait for herd immunity to kick in😇

It could very well be something along these lines. 

The CDC will allow cruising once they are good with it.  Once they know a magic number have been vaccinated and the data trends support it they could allow something limited but the bulk of the fleet won't sail until the virus has been eradicated.  This was a very early statement a CDC employee made in March.  No cruising until the virus is done.    

It's also why Royal did another $1B stock offering recently.  They know cruising isn't imminently resuming.

Just now, livingonthebeach said:

There will be challenges in creating herd immunity going forward. One is the number of people willing to take the vaccine and the other is how long the antibodies last. I believe RCI is working with their legal experts at the moment to determine whether they can legally require the vaccine as a requisite to cruising.

If the CDC declares that then the cruise lines don't need to go down that road. 

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

If the CDC declares that then the cruise lines don't need to go down that road. 

Yes and that's what they are hoping for.  If the protocols don't work -- its on them, but if the vaccine doesn't work it's on Pfizer or Moderna.  No doubt we will probably have to sign a 'hold harmless' agreement as well.

47 minutes ago, yogimax said:

It's not just the vaccine.  It's the willingness to actually be vaccinated.  Of course, the implication is that RCCL will require proof of vaccination.

I thought that too

But wht about cdc who also has mandated testing until nov 1, 2021  ..so we have to do both?

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

It's not just the vaccine.  It's the willingness to actually be vaccinated.  Of course, the implication is that RCCL will require proof of vaccination.

I can see that.  Bucky used to have to do his international traveling (work related) with immunization cards filled out.  Probably going to be that type of set up...IMHO.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

Let's hope they do.  They don't need the whole public vaccinated; they just need enough of the public to generate a sufficient level of demand for their services.  And, as for the public, it's easy to say you don't want the vaccine, but what are you going to say in June when you see photo/video of a bunch of healthy, vaccinated people setting sail?  A few tunes might change.

• Like 1