The Daily for Friday Jan 8, 2021

richwmn

3 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@kazu truly hope you’ve broken the stove jinx!  our issues showed up later after the self clean, sadly. 

Oh dam if it happened after.  Believe it or not, I tested everything after I did the first clean and then the 2nd.  I’ve gotten paranoid with the problems everyone has had and have been using self clean without a thought until this time 😉 

3 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Also, anyone who really knows about wines, knows Stelvin caps are superior to cork!  No spoilage! But oh the mystique!  

I’ve found that most Riesling’s are too sweet for me,  don’t know how that happened! Love a good Pinot Grigio! 

I join you in your love of a good Pinot Grigio.  🍾 

• Like 8

Just now, kazu said:

Oh dam if it happened after.  Believe it or not, I tested everything after I did the first clean and then the 2nd.  I’ve gotten paranoid with the problems everyone has had and have been using self clean without a thought until this time 😉 

I join you in your love of a good Pinot Grigio.  🍾 

Oh hoping you will be fine!  
I also think we share a love for a nice bubbly! 

• Like 5

Just now, bennybear said:

Oh hoping you will be fine!  
I also think we share a love for a nice bubbly! 

What can I say?  We have good taste growing chilies for our DH’s, we certainly deserve a nice bubbly 😉 😂 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is an ofaro?  Is that one of the walk-in style tubs?

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

A Japanese soaking tub.

They are deep, and often built for several people, and often have a seat.  (Our is a solo.) To use it, you scrub off and shower completely first, away from the olfaro. Then you get in and soak. Families ( or others) may use the same water serially or at the same time. Traditional ones may have a way to cover the water and reheat. 

We have a pump and heater that maintains temperature. Warning: there’s no going back to an American style tub.

https://www.zenbathworks.com/ofuro-japanese-soaking-tub-by-zen-bathworks/https://www.sunrisespecialty.com/japanese-soaking-tub

https://www.dwell.com/article/japanese-soaking-tubs-33c62e59

https://wawaza.com/pages/how-to-take-a-japanese-style-bath-at-home/

We have a small Beverly. https://www.plumbingoverstock.com/collections/americh-bath-and-shower?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItMeQ78uN7gIVVwytBh044Qh2EAAYASAEEgLYP_D_BwE#/filter:mfield_details_collection:Beverly

Combine with a small glass of Malbec😉

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@kazu truly hope you’ve broken the stove jinx!  our issues showed up later after the self clean, sadly. 

Also, anyone who really knows about wines, knows Stelvin caps are superior to cork!  No spoilage! But oh the mystique!  

I’ve found that most Riesling’s are too sweet for me,  don’t know how that happened! Love a good Pinot Grigio! 

That’s why I like St Michelle Reisling, I can be sure I’m getting between medium dry and sweet by checking the back of the bottle. 

B4E210E6-1C98-4EFE-BFA3-C9BA3531D8E1.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Himself said:

Last Saturday night I was exposed to Covid 19 last Saturday night.  I am quarentining right now and will get tested tomorrow.  No symptons yet.  Here is hoping.

Good luck, please let us know the result of your test.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

California Sauvignon Blanc -- just say "no" LOL.  Since I discovered New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc I don't want anything else. 🙂  One of the many reasons I regretted not getting to NZ last April (the first of 4 cruises that has been cancelled).  "Oyster Bay" is especially good!

Cloudy Bay SB is very good.

• Like 4

I blush to report that I'm still using the stove that came with our brand new house in 1985 -- a Whirlpool. This probably reflects my lack of interest in cooking!!😉

Also a funny argyle story -- when we were in Istanbul a number of years ago, our tour took us to the Blue Mosque. I knew this in advance, so packed a lovely scarf for a head covering....which, of course, I left in our stateroom! The mosque had "loaner" scarves to wear, but one of our tour companions was appalled that I would use a scarf that had been on someone else's head. Which is why, in all the mosque photos, I'm wearing her argyle sweater over my head -- true story!!

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Thanks for the mention on your LG refrigerator. That is one of the brands we are considering for our counter depth refrigerator. 

We replaced all of our kitchen appliances this past year, except the stovetop/oven which had been replaced in 2019. I did it gradually. The dishwasher was leaking so that was first. I had my mind made up on purchasing all LG because of our experience with our washer/dryer and my mother had had a good experience with her kitchen appliances. I was so jealous of her refrigerator!  So that was next and probably the best purchase out of everything. French doors with a “door in the door” so you can keep often used items (like soda, milk, and yes wine) handy without opening the whole fridge. Mine is regular (not counter depth) and huge. It also has an extra drawer that you program the temperature to either fridge or freezer (or in between too). I use it as my cheese and wine drawer and keep it slightly colder than the fridge. It was, of course, more expensive for those features. 

Sorry to go on and on but it was well worth it and I love it. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Daily Rich.  Thank you for your lists Roy and menu pictures, I still want that bread plate. 

DH is loves a good soak in the tub and sometimes I buy him bath salts but no bubbles. He is really irritated that the newer HAL ships do not have tubs. I love English Toffee especially at Christmas time. I’ll pass on the menu suggestion. Not sure what we are having, I’ve had an “off” day with a headache and DGD went home today. I’m going to miss that crazy girl even though it seems like all she talks about are boys. Thank goodness we see her often.

Have a great evening everyone!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

We replaced all of our kitchen appliances this past year, except the stovetop/oven which had been replaced in 2019. I did it gradually. The dishwasher was leaking so that was first. I had my mind made up on purchasing all LG because of our experience with our washer/dryer and my mother had had a good experience with her kitchen appliances. I was so jealous of her refrigerator!  So that was next and probably the best purchase out of everything. French doors with a “door in the door” so you can keep often used items (like soda, milk, and yes wine) handy without opening the whole fridge. Mine is regular (not counter depth) and huge. It also has an extra drawer that you program the temperature to either fridge or freezer (or in between too). I use it as my cheese and wine drawer and keep it slightly colder than the fridge. It was, of course, more expensive for those features. 

Sharon, we have the same fridge. I inherited it & love it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

A Japanese soaking tub.

They are deep, and often built for several people, and often have a seat.  (Our is a solo.) To use it, you scrub off and shower completely first, away from the olfaro. Then you get in and soak. Families ( or others) may use the same water serially or at the same time. Traditional ones may have a way to cover the water and reheat. 

We have a pump and heater that maintains temperature. Warning: there’s no going back to an American style tub.

https://www.zenbathworks.com/ofuro-japanese-soaking-tub-by-zen-bathworks/https://www.sunrisespecialty.com/japanese-soaking-tub

https://www.dwell.com/article/japanese-soaking-tubs-33c62e59

https://wawaza.com/pages/how-to-take-a-japanese-style-bath-at-home/

We have a small Beverly. https://www.plumbingoverstock.com/collections/americh-bath-and-shower?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItMeQ78uN7gIVVwytBh044Qh2EAAYASAEEgLYP_D_BwE#/filter:mfield_details_collection:Beverly

Combine with a small glass of Malbec😉

AND THEN THERE ARE THE Japanese toilets!  I must get one of those heated seats!   

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I have been "missing" as a poster for about 2-3 days, and today's discussions finally got me to sign onto the laptop to post.  Posting on the iPad is just too hard!  I Love, Love, Love SB wine from NZ, and just got another name of a brand to try.  Thank you!

I really can't say what I have been doing, because I just don't know!  For sure, it wasn't cleaning my oven--one of my cleaning girls does it once a month!  LOL!  And I won't comment on TV watching, or people traveling.  So how is that for keeping opinions to myself!  (Which is unusual for me, I might add.)

Still waiting for the call from the County for the "jab".  I hope that it will be sooner rather than later since I registered in the last week of December.  I know our County is one of the few in the state that is getting the Pfizer vaccine, as there are the facilities to handle it here.  So many areas of Colorado will be receiving the Moderna vaccine for handling reasons.

Off the enjoy a glass of Pinot Grigio, since that is what is open.  As a single person, I don't finish a bottle in one evening, thank goodness.  

Prayers for those in need, and shout-out for celebrants!  Have a good evening!

• Like 9

Speaking of testing, I went in for my routine blood test this morning. The technician [who has been there forever] drew another extra vial - she said the CDC requested it. I don't know if it is because I'm over 75 or what.

So anyone going for a blood test - that extra draw might come up.

I see the doctor next Friday and will ask him along with - getting the vaccine [?] [I get sick from flu shots, and haven't had the flu since back in the 1960s. Only had 2 shots against flu since then. The last was bad.

This mostly just a heads-up - in case someone is scheduled for a blood test and has the same experience.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

I was hoping you'd broken the stove jinx as well.  I feel so guilty for starting things.   If only I hadn't wanted to clean the oven.

I, too, prefer the Pinot Grigio to Riesling.  I'm not big on sweets and really don't care for sweet wines.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I'm taking notes.   The new stove makes the old fridge look bad.  Besides, some of the storage can't be used since parts have broken off, mainly the spots in the door.  If you put something there, the bar across the front falls off when you open the door and everything goes on the floor.  The vegetable drawers don't go in the slots anymore.  So, I just rest them on the bottom of the fridge.  And, the worst thing of all, it keeps getting dirty and needing to be cleaned.  I'm afraid to do it now, in case cleaning it has the same effect as cleaning the oven.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I love all my Whirlpool appliances!  

@Happily@Seaplease do let us know if you find out what blood test the CDC required.  I'm very curious.

1 hour ago, Happily@Sea said:

Speaking of testing, I went in for my routine blood test this morning. The technician [who has been there forever] drew another extra vial - she said the CDC requested it. I don't know if it is because I'm over 75 or what.

Perhaps it’s just me, but I would want to know what tests were being run, and for what purpose. If it is for Covid surveillance, that would be fine with me- but only with my consent.

And I would expect that consent to be requested and not expected.

• Like 5