VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

And of course, the story of the governor of New York; with his mishandling of COVID-19 patients and the sexual harassment allegations is a whole different ballgame.

You're right, many politicians are corrupt to their core..

You won't fine me defending the governor of my state.

Now  we understand that our insurance company  (we have a hmo advantage plan with Aetna )   will be in the loop for the vaccines   per the White House .If that is true that will be wonderful . Actually next Wednesday , Match 10 th  ,Aetna is sending a dostor to our home  to review all medical info  & tests  & medicines we both take . At that time I will ask him about getting the vaccine by Aetna . 

My sister & her husband in AZ near Phoenix got their 2nd Pfizer injection & she got some nasty side effects .she is 73  close  to 74 now . So it seems to me that waiting has not been all that bad for us  . We are now favoring the JnJ one shot but ,we will talk with the  doctor next week 

The other issue   are those variants  . So then the question begs  will the existng vaccines help 7 to what degree against these variants which are spreading across the USA

25 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Now  we understand that our insurance company  (we have a hmo advantage plan with Aetna )   will be in the loop for the vaccines   per the White House .If that is true that will be wonderful . Actually next Wednesday , Match 10 th  ,Aetna is sending a dostor to our home  to review all medical info  & tests  & medicines we both take . At that time I will ask him about getting the vaccine by Aetna . 

My sister & her husband in AZ near Phoenix got their 2nd Pfizer injection & she got some nasty side effects .she is 73  close  to 74 now . So it seems to me that waiting has not been all that bad for us  . We are now favoring the JnJ one shot but ,we will talk with the  doctor next week 

The other issue   are those variants  . So then the question begs  will the existng vaccines help 7 to what degree against these variants which are spreading across the USA

I’m holding out for the J &J shot.  One dose, fewer side effects and has been tested against some of the variants.

10 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I’m holding out for the J &J shot.  One dose, fewer side effects and has been tested against some of the variants.

We got the Pfizer vaccine. Our only side effects were a sore arm and we needed to take a nap the next day. But everyone is different. Hoping to be the Rotterdam cruise 11/10 with you. I anticipate Pfizer having a booster available well before then. 

Edited by Laminator

8 minutes ago, clueless2 said:

The State of West Virginia just lowered the minimum age for the general public to be vaccinated from 65 to 50.

May be not West Virginia where the population is not great ;but m like here in Ca with about 30 to 40 million people the supply chain of vaccine has not been over flowing . Thus ,when this state lowers the age groups ,it then essentially makes it like a funnel ;which is large at the top & tight at the neck 

Here is some interesting information on the vaccines effectiveness with variants 

https://www.statnews.com/2021/02/05/what-scientists-know-variants-covid-19-vaccines/ 

57 minutes ago, Laminator said:

We got the Pfizer vaccine. Our only side effects were a sore arm and we needed to take a nap the next day. But everyone is different. Hoping to be the Rotterdam cruise 11/10 with you. I anticipate Pfizer having a booster available well before then. 

I don’t hear too much bad news on Pfizer.  Whenever my hospital contacts tell me about people having notable side effects it is with Moderna.

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Funny, I am the exact opposite.  I want either Pfizer or Moderna. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I don’t hear too much bad news on Pfizer.  Whenever my hospital contacts tell me about people having notable side effects it is with Moderna.

Thats been my experience here in OK as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

We had the Moderna vaccine. I had a sore arm both times; DW had a sore arm only the second time.

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Funny, I am the exact opposite.  I want either Pfizer or Moderna. 

The DW feels the same way too, but we are going to take which one we can. Get to start playing the signup game next week. Oh boy what fun that will be :=<

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I believe they are more effective overall. Better a sore arm for a day or two than COVID.

Mom... remember.... the vaccine does not prevent you from getting COVID, it only minimizes, or hopefully eliminates the side effects that most encounter if they catch it. 

8 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:

Mom... remember.... the vaccine does not prevent you from getting COVID, it only minimizes, or hopefully eliminates the side effects that most encounter if they catch it. 

Not true. Remember, initially we DID NOT KNOW whether the vaccines were preventive or not, because it was not an endpoint in the clinical studies done for approval. However, new "real world" evidence looks very positive in this respect:

"Pfizer/BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine appeared to prevent not only symptomatic disease, but asymptomatic infection as well, a real-world review of Israeli health records showed."

"A large case-control study comprising over one million people found that the estimated vaccine effectiveness for "documented infection" was 46% (95% CI 40-51%) at days 14-20 following one dose of vaccine, and was 92% (95% CI 88-95%) at least 7 days following the second dose, reported Ran Balicer, MD, PhD, of Clalit Health Services in Tel Aviv, and colleagues."

Documented infection in this study refers to a positive PCR test. 

So it is likely the vaccine not only prevents symptoms of COVID but prevents asymptomatic infections as well. 

The study results were published in the New England Journal of Medicine (a top medical journal) and are summarized in more lay-friendly language here: 

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/91350#:~:text=Using a proxy for asymptomatic,New England Journal of Medicine.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

So it is likely the vaccine not only prevents symptoms of COVID but prevents asymptomatic infections as well. 

Mom.... thank you.... I stand corrected. I had my first shot last week and the nurse specifically told me to continue making as this vaccine will not prevent me from catching the virus. I guess there’s confusion or out of date understanding in the medical profession as well.

Just now, Lido - Lanai said:

Mom.... thank you.... I stand corrected. I had my first shot last week and the nurse specifically told me to continue making as this vaccine will not prevent me from catching the virus. I guess there’s confusion or out of date understanding in the medical profession as well.

The medical staff giving the vaccines really can't say otherwise. They are limited to the studies submitted and used to substantiate the Emergency Use Approval process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lido - Lanai said:

Not necessarily.  The clinical trials did not test for infection only symptomatic infection.  Since it was not tested in the clinical trials the disclaimers were made that it might not prevent asymptomatic infection.  However, some have taken those disclaimers to mean that the vaccine does not provide such protection, instead of that it might not.

There has been data come out since the trials, especially from Israel that indicate that in fact the vaccine (Pfizers for example) does significantly reduce asymptomatic infection.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nocl said:

Not necessarily.  The clinical trials did not test for infection only symptomatic infection.  Since it was not tested in the clinical trials the disclaimers were made that it might not prevent asymptomatic infection.  However, some have taken those disclaimers to mean that the vaccine does not provide such protection, instead of that it might not.

There has been data come out since the trials, especially from Israel that indicate that in fact the vaccine (Pfizers for example) does significantly reduce asymptomatic infection.

Whew... we got the Pfizer vaccine.. thanks!👍

Some good news...

"National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) now says the maximum interval between the first and second doses of all three COVID-19 vaccines approved for use in Canada should increase to four months in order to boost the number of Canadians being vaccinated...

NACI said that analysis showed the effectiveness of a single dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine was between 70 per cent and 80 per cent among health care workers, long-term care residents, elderly populations and the general public..."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/naci-interval-advice-change-four-months-1.5934563

3 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

... or hopefully eliminates the side effects that most encounter if they catch it. 

Of course, there has been no real-world study of the long haul problems of the vaccinated. 🙄

4 hours ago, drowelf said:

The DW feels the same way too, but we are going to take which one we can. Get to start playing the signup game next week. Oh boy what fun that will be :=<

We had 1st Dose at Walgreens last week and 2nd one Scheduled.   Today  I was able to schedule my Daughter and her Husband (we own a Restaurant and they are in 1B) for Tuesday at Convention Center which is a DHEC Mobile Site and McCleod Location although McMaster said no Appointments can be made until Monday.  

Walgreens and most places not opening up to 1B until Monday.  However, check DHEC’s Vaccine site since that did open it up for 1B today at their DHEC Mobile locations.   DHEC has Mobile locations all over the State.  

We also had no preference and just happy to get Vaccinated!  We had Moderna at Walgreens and I believe DHEC will be Moderna.  My Husband had no side Effects other than slight sore arm at injection site.  I had a headache and slight sore arm.  

Good Luck on getting the Appointments!  

9 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Here is the latest for the drive thru vaccine site at Del Mar.   I would not hold my breath for the J&J vaccine being easily available in our area North County Coastal/Inland.  Going to assign it to the more difficult to vaccinate areas, desert, remote, homeless, South Bay, farm workers rather than more affluent neighborhoods.

CC2C188C-4C97-4981-9C71-A76CF758CEB6.png

Edited by kiwimum

8 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Here is the latest for the drive thru vaccine site at Del Mar.   I would not hold my breath for the J&J vaccine being easily available in our area North County Coastal/Inland.  Going to assign it to the more difficult to vaccinate areas, desert, remote, homeless, South Bay, farm workers rather than more affluent neighborhoods.

CC2C188C-4C97-4981-9C71-A76CF758CEB6.png

March 8th  ?? Today is March 4th & I am typing at 4:45 AM  .I looked at  "myruen.ca.gov " what came up was UC Lajolla  & NO  appointments  .How were you able to get the above appt schedule ?