VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We were also out in about 20 minutes including the 15 minute wait time.

The only thing that does not work is the sticker they give you that says you got your Covid vaccine at the Sullivan County Clinic; it just does not stay stuck for very long.🤣

My DH stuck his sticker on his forehead!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Yes, I think that will be about it for us.  First dose possibly by the end of March (we're in our 80's), but then, unfortunately, Dr. Bonnie is planning to delay second doses for four months - so that will be the end of July before we get ours, and then another 3 weeks or so to be fully immunized.  

Yes, we are very unhappy about the four month delay for the second dose here in BC. That long a delay is not approved by either vaccine manufacturers or the federal health authorities. In fact, the federal health authorities refer to BC’s plan as a ‘population level experiment’ without the controls of a regular trial. We have an overseas trip booked for November (not a cruise). Between the four month delay and the three week wait after the second shot, we would both need to have our first dose by early June to be able to go. I’m in the 60 - 64 allotment, so that’s not going to happen. Luckily our insurance lets us cancel for any reason up to 72 hours before departure. I think we’re going to need it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Yes, we are very unhappy about the four month delay for the second dose here in BC. That long a delay is not approved by either vaccine manufacturers or the federal health authorities.

I would be upset to say the least!  

• Like 2

I was scheduled for my second dose of Moderna today, but received a phone call yesterday saying they didn't get any delivered. I was able to reschedule for this Friday (a minor inconvenience).

Let's play   spin  the wheel  on & on & on  . why do I frustrate my self to see no appointments available  . Why should i believe what the government tells us ?  although some people have had both shots  ,there is still a lack of  good communication & more importantly  a steady stream of vaccines & supplies  to give out the shots . Driving people to insane levels of search ing is no way to run any business 

There needs to be a  comfort level  ,yet all this  gains is  exasperation  . Yes we are both 82 with underlying medical conditions . So ,now I laugh at all the promises . Thus ,I still hold fast to my personnel belief that governments always over promise & under delivers . This is not rocket science .The need a better system than a lottery  .Although they claim millions of doses are on the way soon. I now come from the Show me State  .We have zero empathy for the government ;as they fail on a regular basis 

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Yes, we are very unhappy about the four month delay for the second dose here in BC. That long a delay is not approved by either vaccine manufacturers or the federal health authorities. In fact, the federal health authorities refer to BC’s plan as a ‘population level experiment’ without the controls of a regular trial. We have an overseas trip booked for November (not a cruise). Between the four month delay and the three week wait after the second shot, we would both need to have our first dose by early June to be able to go. I’m in the 60 - 64 allotment, so that’s not going to happen. Luckily our insurance lets us cancel for any reason up to 72 hours before departure. I think we’re going to need it!

Is the 4 month delay intentional or did someone make a typo for the typical 4 week?

I'm hoping that things will change and we will find there is more vaccine than anticipated, and also that there is some pressure applied to give the boosters sooner.  Six weeks is one thing, but 16!!  I do think we may be at the end of the supply chain.   We are going to cancel our July crossing on the QM2, it's not a big deal, we've done it many times to save a flight, but I will be very disappointed if we can't do the Rotterdam inaugural cruise in August.  Oh, well.

@AlanF65, this is the new plan for BC.  Our Provincial Health Officer wants the whole province to get their first shots before starting on the second shots.  It certainly is outside the realm of recommendations by the manufacturers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I'm hoping that things will change and we will find there is more vaccine than anticipated, and also that there is some pressure applied to give the boosters sooner.  Six weeks is one thing, but 16!!  I do think we may be at the end of the supply chain.   We are going to cancel our July crossing on the QM2, it's not a big deal, we've done it many times to save a flight, but I will be very disappointed if we can't do the Rotterdam inaugural cruise in August.  Oh, well.

@AlanF65, this is the new plan for BC.  Our Provincial Health Officer wants the whole province to get their first shots before starting on the second shots.  It certainly is outside the realm of recommendations by the manufacturers.

The only good thing that the first shot does is it does give people protection from serious illness /death from this virus .  

It is imo apparently important that the big pharma vaccine producers to make  the manufacturing   efforts &  ramp up production on a booster  to  isolate those new variant strains   ;which are spreading  

1 minute ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Oh no, with all the fanfare and uproar and disapproving statements from the federal level, there was no typo.

Did Canada negotiate lowest price / longer delivery with the vaccine makers like the EU did?

A

3 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I would rather have the shots stick to the manufacturer schedule of three or four weeks between shots even if it meant I have to wait longer for my first shot.  Waiting three to four months has no basis in the trials run by the pharmaceutical companies.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I would rather have the shots stick to the manufacturer schedule of three or four weeks between shots even if it meant I have to wait longer for my first shot.  Waiting three to four months has no basis in the trials run by the pharmaceutical companies.

Ditto!  

I know there was some discussion about this here. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/fauci-cautions-against-delaying-second-round-covid-vaccinations-n1256964 

2 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

Did Canada negotiate lowest price / longer delivery with the vaccine makers like the EU did?

A

Wow, I can tell you’re not Canadian. No, our government negotiated highest price/ longest delivery. They are long on diplomacy, short on bargaining skills.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I agree. The theory is that if you can get a first dose into as many people as possible, herd immunity is established faster. This is coupled with the theory that one dose gives you the same level of immunity as two, but for a shorter time. The second dose establishes long term protection. The first dose is supposed to maintain immunity  ‘up to several months’. The million dollar gamble is if ‘several’ means more than four or less than four. It was stated that the drug trials only waited 3 - 4 weeks between shots to speed up the trial process, not because a longer wait was contraindicated. It was also stated that a four month interval followed the procedure for longer established vaccines. Fingers crossed here.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 1

Oh no, with all the fanfare and uproar and disapproving statements from the federal level, there was no typo.

32 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Wow, I can tell you’re not Canadian. No, our government negotiated highest price/ longest delivery. They are long on diplomacy, short on bargaining skills.

Wow. Although I’m not too surprised because that’s similar to what some of my friends on your side of the border are telling me. I hope they figure this mess out soon. 

• Like 2

I'm not worried. As long as community spread is under control in my patch of Canada. 🙂

As CDC Director said here...

"CDC chief says masks better at stopping coronavirus than a vaccine"

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/cdc-chief-says-masks-better-at-stopping-coronavirus-than-a-vaccine-173526486.html

I'll probably wait till July before I commit to a first dose. By that time, should have data from the experiment.

In any case, there should be enough vax by August. So, it'll be a 6-week interval anyway.

8 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Yes, we are very unhappy about the four month delay for the second dose here in BC. That long a delay is not approved by either vaccine manufacturers or the federal health authorities. 

Four months?! And to think I was upset at having to reschedule my second Moderna shot by a week due to weather problems in the rest of the country. Will go kick myself in the pants now 😔

Edited by SeaHunt
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

And to think I was upset at having to reschedule my second Moderna shot by a week due to weather problems in the rest of the country. Will go kick myself in the pants now 😔

On the up side, at least Canada isn’t getting flooded with tourists looking for quick and easy vaccine access.🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

Four months?! And to think I was upset at having to reschedule my second Moderna shot by a week due to weather problems in the rest of the country. Will go kick myself in the pants now 😔

We were rescheduled 10 days later due to those same weather problems in the rest of the country. We now have had our second shots getting them on Monday 3/1.

• Like 1

So happy to report that our friends called from our local grocery store pharmacy yesterday early evening to say that the pharmacy had a couple of available first dose vaccines due to appointment cancellations, if we could get down there in a few minutes. Even though we're retired but a ways from being 65, they took us in and gave us our shots with no wait. The County we live in is now offering vaccines to everyone 65 and over, health care workers, plus certain essential worker groups--food & agriculture, educators & childcare, and emergency services.

We probably would not have been eligible to receive the vaccine until, maybe, mid-April when our age group might be called. But, the pharmacist said had we not stepped in for these last minute doses just before their closing time they would have expired from being out of the freezer too long (overnight).

Now we'll shop for a nice bourbon, or some Guinness, to help celebrate the season with our friends...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

There needs to be a  comfort level  ,yet all this  gains is  exasperation  . Yes we are both 82 with underlying medical conditions . So ,now I laugh at all the promises . Thus ,I still hold fast to my personnel belief that governments always over promise & under delivers . This is not rocket science .The need a better system than a lottery  .Although they claim millions of doses are on the way soon. I now come from the Show me State  .We have zero empathy for the government ;as they fail on a regular basis 

Politicians give to those who donate! Here's a story of a governor allowing rich donors to jump the line ahead of senior citizens. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/us/desantis-florida-covid-vaccine-sites/index.html

31 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Politicians give to those who donate! Here's a story of a governor allowing rich donors to jump the line ahead of senior citizens. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/us/desantis-florida-covid-vaccine-sites/index.html

And of course, the story of the governor of New York; with his mishandling of COVID-19 patients and the sexual harassment allegations is a whole different ballgame.

You're right, many politicians are corrupt to their core..