Azamara cruise line sold

Steve Q

21 minutes ago, EddiesToys said:

Not all, Don.  Azamara Pursuit was bought from Carnival Corp.

Believe Don was talking about original sale of the R Ships from Renaissance.  One of Oceania's R ships believe Sirena was bought from a different company as well think Carnival as well.

6 hours ago, AllisonJames said:

So disappointed because I just don’t see how this can work...a company with a very diverse retail portfolio and no hotel or cruise experience? I agree that AZ has been a “niche” cruise line that hasn’t seemed to find a larger base — most people we talked to about our AZ experiences and had never heard of it. We came to AZ because of Perry Golf and have one future Perry Golf cruise booked...wonder what will happen with the Perry Golf relationship...have to confess at this point I’d prefer they form a relationship with a luxury line such as SS or SB. We felt the cost-cutting on AZ was leading to a declining price/value ratio (the low quality of the included wines for example such as Chardonnay that retails for less than $7 a bottle) but we stayed for Perry Golf, friendly guests and crew and low-key atmosphere. Can’t see improvements in that regard as I think the great crew will go elsewhere as will the guests!

Pardon the pun but we are in the same boat.  Perry Golf is a good fit with Azamara.  Now we have a booking for 2022 with deposits on file for both companies and lots of uncertainty. 

11 hours ago, uktog said:

Whats to say Larry does not re emerge as an advisor to the new owners in a board level appointment.....

Bring back Larry.    ✔️✔️✔️.    Seabourn Executive experience and  ran Azamara so well.    A very capable, experienced and personable Senior Cruise Executive. 

As to private ownership via Private Equity buyout, from what I see and read, the Cruise Line that has managed the Covid disaster the best (for its passengers) is Viking - privately owned and includes private investment.     May be an omen for Azamara going forward ???       We will all have to wait and watch. 

We really enjoyed cruising Azamara, but glad we took the 100% refund for a Covid cancelled cruise.    

Our next cruise is on Viking Ocean - June 2022 to allow  the Covid world time to settle and see what  future cruising really looks like. 

And would definitely consider  a future Azamara cruise if the cruising experience aboard remains close to what we enjoyed in the past.   Time will tell.   

• Like 2

I was very saddened to read this news. The PE firm’s track record does not inspire any confidence. We enjoyed three great Azamara cruises, all on Quest, with wonderful unique itineraries, engaging staff and excellent service, the last one sharing unforgettable scenic adventures with inveterate cruiser Host Jazzbeau and his lovely wife. I will continue to treasure those cruise memories.

Edited by CintiPam

9 hours ago, TeaBag said:

If we cancel after the ownership changes, will we still be liable for the $150/pp fee which Azamara levied?  After all, we would be cancelling because it was not the cruise we thought we had put the deposit on due to the sale.

I think it’s a little early to say ‘it’s not the cruise we thought’!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm not sure if the sale is enough per se to constitute a major change under UK law, but for North American customers I'm pretty sure it does not.

No it’s not. Businesses change hands all the time! 

Thanks Phil.  A good piece to watch

I think people are overlooking that Viking seem to be managing very well bank rolled by private equity.  Not all private equity is asset stripping and even an organisation that might have asset stripped in the past may have a different business model now.  Also we do not know the real reason they did what they did to other companies - businesses that look successful to the customer can be economic or structural disasters.

I shudder to think what the new owners must have thought if they read some of the comments on social media yesterday.  The positive is it will have shown them the depth of affection for the brand but they knew that already and their press release highlights they recognise that.

Time will tell what happens to Azamara and thats no different to where they were at last week or where any other business is today at this stage in the pandemics recovery.

• Like 9

Now the dust has settled a bit and I'm over the initial shock, I have decided that once I feel safe to return to cruising I will be back on Azamara if the price is right. New ownership doesn't matter. It's the people on the ship that do and that's what had me coming back. 

As to any loss of a loyalty programme, it wasn't really that great anyway and not the reason I cruised with Azamara so inconsequential.  For me it's time to look forward to being vaccinated and take it from there. 

Phil 

• Like 11

With RCG’s obvious lack of commitment to Azamara there were worse scenarios than this given the uncertainty surrounding the cruise industry.

Even under continuous ownership we have seen things changes of direction in other cruise companies that drive us away, P&O U.K. is a good example.

Viking is a good comparison if RCG had fully understood and supported the concept of this cruise sector then Azamara could easily have been in that position.

Life moves on if the product delivers the same experience then the ownership is of no real consequence to the customer.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Now the dust has settled a bit and I'm over the initial shock, I have decided that once I feel safe to return to cruising I will be back on Azamara if the price is right. New ownership doesn't matter. It's the people on the ship that do and that's what had me coming back. 

As to any loss of a loyalty programme, it wasn't really that great anyway and not the reason I cruised with Azamara so inconsequential.  For me it's time to look forward to being vaccinated and take it from there. 

Phil 

Totally agree Phil.  
It was a shock though! 

Regards

I too agree. Even though I've sent my TA an email to cancel our December 13 day cruise. I don't believe the cruise would have sailed due to the CDC restrictions anyway. 

However I'm still interested in sailing Azamara again once the dust settles and I can see the realistic pricing come back.  I'd also give it some time to see what the new owners will have done to the AZ experience.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

....It's sad to see those with little knowledge of why Azamara is important to many of us or those who have had an axe to grind in the past (I know who you are) tell us where it all went wrong....

Phil, I fully understand you're hurting for good reasons. That, however, is no excuse for you to return to old ways....you will recall Host Jazzbeau calling you, and others, out a couple of months ago for such unbecoming behaviour with a clear reminder that Azamara threads are for all cruise critic members! 

It feels like a slight bullying attitude, I honestly believe you are much better than that as most of your posts are helpful/insightful.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tert333 said:

It is too bad though, that you will not be able to use points earned on Azamara at Celebrity.  

I just hope they don’t take them away, as at 5 per night, they were the most points that we ever earned on a cruise. They were earned on a TA in 2016.

Edited by upwarduk

11 hours ago, jerkymom said:

We had a South Africa cruise booked for January 2021 which Azamara cancelled after we made final payment.  Opted to lift and shift it to January 2022.  

I decided to cancel it today after hearing about the sale.  We were charged a 25 percent penalty (well over $2,000) because it was a lift and shift and "current cancellation penalties apply".  It makes no sense to me, but at least we will get some money back.

Just a warning in case anyone else thinks there will be a $75 per person penalty for cancelling a lifted and shifted cruise paid in full.

Wow, that’s too bad.

9 hours ago, Aussie Cruise Nuts said:

Bring back Larry.    ✔️✔️✔️.    Seabourn Executive experience and  ran Azamara so well.    A very capable, experienced and personable Senior Cruise Executive. 

As to private ownership via Private Equity buyout, from what I see and read, the Cruise Line that has managed the Covid disaster the best (for its passengers) is Viking - privately owned and includes private investment.     May be an omen for Azamara going forward ???       We will all have to wait and watch. 

We really enjoyed cruising Azamara, but glad we took the 100% refund for a Covid cancelled cruise.    

Our next cruise is on Viking Ocean - June 2022 to allow  the Covid world time to settle and see what  future cruising really looks like. 

And would definitely consider  a future Azamara cruise if the cruising experience aboard remains close to what we enjoyed in the past.   Time will tell.   

Big difference between private ownership and private equity.

Well, no matter what happens, our first cruise post-pandemic was most likely going to seem somewhat different anyway...and we will truly appreciate being back on the seas. We’ve been watching “Mighty Cruise Ships” to get our cruising fix...and the other night as we were watching I was promising my husband “I won’t even complain about the tendering process or having to put our luggage out the night before if I can just be back on a ship!” ☺️

• Like 2