How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

LauraS

How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?  

2,416 members have voted

1. 1. How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

• Within the first two months. Once I have the shots, I am ready to go
    • A few months – I’d take a different trip first
    • I would prefer to wait six months to a year
    • Other, explain below.....

On 3/20/2021 at 1:13 PM, Host CMLA said:

At some point we will have herd immunity and hopefully mandatory vaccines won't be a condition for cruising anymore.  We won't get the vaccine or wear mandatory masks or be limited to specific shore excursions.  That puts us out of the cruising game for a while but that's our choice. 

It is your choice.  However, allow me to express my opinion here.  To me, it is rather selfish to not get the vaccine yourself and rely on everyone else go get the vaccine to get to 75-80% vaccinated and "herd immunity."  Herd immunity is meant to provide protection to those who cannot get a vaccination for medical reasons, not protect those who just don't want to get vaccinated.  Not getting vaccinated may put you out of quite a few travels for awhile.  

I wear a mask for 8+ hours a day.  I'm pretty darn used to it.  It's my choice, but I'll keep wearing it when I'm out and about until the medical experts say it is safe to go without. I'd have no issue cruising or vacationing with a mandatory mask and having my vaccinations (I'm half there).  But, I won't cruise if I have to do only ships' excursions - I don't do any group excursions.  If I can't get off the ship and wander around myself,  then I'll wait. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

We scheduled a cruise for Feb, 2022.  It is a 15-night SF to Fort Lauderdale.  Like others though I won't cruise unless the line requires that all passengers and crew be vaccinated.   Although not an absolute guarantee I do believe that the vaccine will vastly reduce the chance of myself, and other passengers and crew, getting Covid.  This will reduce the chance of the cruise being interrupted or cancelled.

I also hope the line will have a good regime of testing and temperature checks in place.

Temperature checks don't help with COVID - some run hot, some run cold.  I had COVID and I never ran a "fever".  My normal is 97.6, so when it got up to 98.6, it was a low-grade one for me, but "normal" for a temperature check. 

We’re still waiting for AZ to cancel our next cruise, the North Cape at the end of July. When that cancels, it will be the 1st time in twenty years we have no cruises, nor in-fact any international travel, booked, none even in the preliminary planning phase.

So I guess I’m in Option 5. Nothing booked, nothing planned, used the fare money to put an outdoor recreation facility in the backyard. I expect I’ll just bank travel & timeshare points, use those locally, and plan to stay home for a few years until well after this nonsense ends. Sure glad I didn’t take FCC now, just seems to be another travel scam, and after-all we’ve seen plenty by now

• Thanks 1

I am SO ready to go on another cruise.  Several family members and friends are, also.  Most of us have gotten our vaccinations, or are in the process; however, the general consensus is:  We do not want to have to wear masks on the ship 24/7.  While it is to be expected that they would be required in ports of call, I feel (and am not alone) that until the cruise lines make vaccinations mandatory in order to go on the ships, I would rather wait a couple more years to see what happens with herd immunity.  I am compliant with mask regulations, don't get me wrong.  I believe in the responsibility of it.  Personally, I hate wearing a mask.  I wear glasses, and they fog up constantly.  I have anxiety issues, and the masks exacerbate this, immensely.  Right now, my clan is targeting summer/fall of 2022 for our next cruise.  I am willing to go sooner, depending on the restrictions.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CUTTERSAM said:

Hey Lois. Did you rebook the Douro cruise from last year?  I was on AMA but have a rez on Uniworld for 5/30 of this year. I hope I make it as I got it for a steal.  I have both shots and also three deposits on cruise s from now to Oct 2022.   Fingers crossed, I am not getting any younger.

Would you let me know when you hear from Uniworld concerning your 5/30 cruise?  I’m booked 6/20 with them for the Grand France.  I find them lacking in customer communications.  “Everything is fine, all cruises will sail” is what I get from them.  Also have had both jabs!

14 hours ago, CUTTERSAM said:

Hey Lois. Did you rebook the Douro cruise from last year?  I was on AMA but have a rez on Uniworld for 5/30 of this year. I hope I make it as I got it for a steal.  I have both shots and also three deposits on cruise s from now to Oct 2022.   Fingers crossed, I am not getting any younger.

Good morning, Nope, I did not re-book that river cruise. The deposits down for the 3 cruises

I mentioned?......one is Lisbon to Lisbon 12 nights but I don't know if that will sail. It is in Oct.

The next one is Dec....a 14 night cruise to the Caribbean and the last one is for March 2022,

a TA crossing.  It is just a wait and see on all of them really.  

I hope you are able to sail in May----but that is only 2 months away.......What

itinerary is it?

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, Nope, I did not re-book that river cruise. The deposits down for the 3 cruises

I mentioned?......one is Lisbon to Lisbon 12 nights but I don't know if that will sail. It is in Oct.

The next one is Dec....a 14 night cruise to the Caribbean and the last one is for March 2022,

a TA crossing.  It is just a wait and see on all of them really.  

I hope you are able to sail in May----but that is only 2 months away.......What

itinerary is it?

It's the Douro. I got it on Uniworld, French balcony solo for 3700.00. A few weeks later it's 9k plus and 12k+ in the summer so you can understand why I am saying novenas to go. New ship, it will be their maiden voyage.  I have AMA Burgundy and Provance in Oct (late) this year and in October 2022 I have Crystal Venice to Venice.  Stay well!

1 hour ago, CUTTERSAM said:

It's the Douro. I got it on Uniworld, French balcony solo for 3700.00. A few weeks later it's 9k plus and 12k+ in the summer so you can understand why I am saying novenas to go. New ship, it will be their maiden voyage.  I have AMA Burgundy and Provance in Oct (late) this year and in October 2022 I have Crystal Venice to Venice.  Stay well!

That is fantastic😃👍  I did a Venice cruise in Oct 2019 on Uniworld

and I LOVED IT!

6 hours ago, GoesBoom said:

Would you let me know when you hear from Uniworld concerning your 5/30 cruise?  I’m booked 6/20 with them for the Grand France.  I find them lacking in customer communications.  “Everything is fine, all cruises will sail” is what I get from them.  Also have had both jabs!

Will do.  Yes, they are fiddling whilst Rome burns, I expect.  

On 3/20/2021 at 12:13 PM, Host CMLA said:

At some point we will have herd immunity and hopefully mandatory vaccines won't be a condition for cruising anymore.  We won't get the vaccine or wear mandatory masks or be limited to specific shore excursions.  That puts us out of the cruising game for a while but that's our choice. 

Thank you! This is my understanding as well. 

On 3/19/2021 at 2:27 PM, slidergirl said:

Well, it depends.  Antibodies showing immunity anecdotally last from a month to a year.  That's based on my Long Haulers group of over 15,000 people.  It's not a lifetime thing.    And, depending on whether you had the "wild" version or a variant, your immunity may not work.  

Well the vaccine isn’t guaranteed to work for more than a year either.  So I’ll take my chances with the immune system that has worked for me for over six decades, as opposed to an un-known experimental vaccine that just  showed up in a few months time.
The FDA hasn’t even approved it beyond the EUA status (Emergency Use Authorization.)
Hopefully, we are still allowed to have ownership of our own bodies

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 2CoolCanucks said:

Well the vaccine isn’t guaranteed to work for more than a year either.  So I’ll take my chances with the immune system that has worked for me for over six decades, as opposed to an un-known experimental vaccine that just  showed up in a few months time.
The FDA hasn’t even approved it beyond the EUA status (Emergency Use Authorization.)
Hopefully, we are still allowed to have ownership of our own bodies

Just so you know, the rMNA technology has been around for years.  It was adapted for the COVID-19 vaccine.  

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 5:29 PM, richstowe said:

Everything returns to normal ? I'll take 70-80 % . If you wait for what was pre-covid you may never cruise again . 

So you're waiting for herd immunity to protect you ? Providing you are old enough, did you do this for polio ? 

Things will NOT EVER return to normal again for cruising; that's my outlook. If you want to fork out your hard earned cash to go on a ship only to be policed constantly about wearing a mask, hey bud, it's your call!

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 6:03 PM, clo said:

Some people keep saying "experimental" and I have no idea where that comes from.

It comes from the antivaxx nutters and Q who have temporarily alligned for the moment. Q will no doubt move on to the next conspiracy theory shortly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, johnjen said:

Things will NOT EVER return to normal again for cruising; that's my outlook. If you want to fork out your hard earned cash to go on a ship only to be policed constantly about wearing a mask, hey bud, it's your call!

Honestly I don't think we are so different. We will not be cruising if it's like being in a lab. A hard no to masks. That's the 70 to 80%. If it means no self serve , reduced capacity and other minor matters , then yeah I'll accept that.

But hey bud, it's your call!

Forgot to mention mandatory vaccines. Got my first today.

Edited by richstowe
Vaccines
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 3:03 PM, clo said:

Some people keep saying "experimental" and I have no idea where that comes from.

Actually, it comes from the FDA. 
Definitely NOT a conspiracy theory as some people want to suggest.

IF you go to THEIR own website, you will see that the vaccines have only been approved at the EUA level. (Emergency Use Authorization) 
Here is the Quote from THEIR page. 
They call it UNAPPROVED. 

“What is an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA)?

An Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) is a mechanism to facilitate the availability and use of medical countermeasures, including vaccines, during public health emergencies, such as the current COVID-19 pandemic. Under an EUA, FDA may allow the use of UNAPPROVED medical products, or unapproved uses of approved medical products in an emergency to diagnose, treat, or prevent serious or life-threatening diseases or conditions when certain statutory criteria have been met, including that there are no adequate, approved, and available alternatives. Taking into consideration input from the FDA, manufacturers decide whether and when to submit an EUA request to FDA.”

This is WHY it is still listed as experimental. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 10:38 AM, slidergirl said:

Just so you know, the rMNA technology has been around for years.  It was adapted for the COVID-19 vaccine.  

And just so you know, mRNA vaccines have NEVER  been approved for use in any disease and  while being studied, are STILL only in experimental form.
Harvard Health Institute. (Not sure if I am allowed to post links so here is a quote from their webpage)

“Anthony Komaroff, MD
Editor in Chief, Harvard Health Letter

The very first vaccines for COVID-19 to complete phase 3 testing are an entirely new type: mRNA vaccines. NEVER BEFORE  have mRNA vaccines — such as the two-dose Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines that have now received emergency use authorization from the FDA — been approved for use in ANY DISEASE. How do they differ from traditional vaccines, and what makes them so exciting?”

12 minutes ago, 2CoolCanucks said:

As I posted above, It comes from the FDA. 

Your whole FUD spiel comes from anti vaxx groups. 

If you don’t want to take a mRNA vaccine there is the J&J vaccine. Also some others. My cousin in Canada has had her first AstraZenica dose, not mRNA. I don’t know your position on those but I expect the nutter groups have some nutty reason against those. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 2CoolCanucks said:

And just so you know, mRNA vaccines have NEVER  been approved for use in any disease and  while being studied, are STILL only in experimental form.
Harvard Health Institute. (Not sure if I am allowed to post links so here is a quote from their webpage)

“Anthony Komaroff, MD
Editor in Chief, Harvard Health Letter

The very first vaccines for COVID-19 to complete phase 3 testing are an entirely new type: mRNA vaccines. NEVER BEFORE  have mRNA vaccines — such as the two-dose Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines that have now received emergency use authorization from the FDA — been approved for use in ANY DISEASE. How do they differ from traditional vaccines, and what makes them so exciting?”

Again no use of "experimental." I get the sense that some here don't get how slow and tedious the FDA can work.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 2CoolCanucks said:

What you are extrapolating from your quote is not what was actually said.

The vaccines are no longer experimental, btw. 

And every successful treatment, therapy, or vaccine was "new" at some point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, clo said:

Did I miss seeing that word "experimental"?

LOL. 
When it hasn’t been approved, it is ALWAYS still in the experimental form. 
They just won’t use that term, because people will feel like they are guinea pigs or lab rats. But the fact remains, it IS experimental util it is approved.
Have a great day and enjoy your next cruise  🙂