How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

LauraS

How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?  

2,416 members have voted

1. 1. How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

• Within the first two months. Once I have the shots, I am ready to go
    • A few months – I’d take a different trip first
    • I would prefer to wait six months to a year
    • Other, explain below.....

2 hours ago, electro said:

From links above:

This article is a preprint and has not been peer-reviewed . It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice.

While the study found that unvaccinated survivors of the coronavirus show lasting immunity against the virus, the Cleveland Clinic still recommends that anyone who can get the vaccine, should, telling FOX 8, “We don’t know how long the immune system will protect against reinfection or protect against variants.”

Yes, it shows NEW results!  You know, the kind the pro-maskers & pro-vaxxers talk about all the time.  "Science changes", that's what I've heard ever since Fauci said last year that masks should not be worn.
It should be left up to the individual about getting the jab if they have had covid, especially after these promising new results.    I know I will not be getting the "FDA approved for emergency use" jab at the present time, or foreseeable future, especially not just to go on holiday.

3 hours ago, Catnip said:

Yes, it shows NEW results!  You know, the kind the pro-maskers & pro-vaxxers talk about all the time.  "Science changes", that's what I've heard ever since Fauci said last year that masks should not be worn.
It should be left up to the individual about getting the jab if they have had covid, especially after these promising new results.    I know I will not be getting the "FDA approved for emergency use" jab at the present time, or foreseeable future, especially not just to go on holiday.

This new information still says vaccines are recommended. 

Vaccines are expected to have full FDA approval within a few weeks. 

Get it or don't. 

I stand by my statement that it is ironic to be waiting for herd immunity while not be willing to do what it takes to get there. 

I

Edited by electro
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Catnip said:

So don't get it. We won't miss you on our cruises. Won't even give you a thought. Meow........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

So don't get it. We won't miss you on our cruises. Won't even give you a thought. Meow........

Dang, now you've gone ahead and ruined my night.  I was SO looking for your approval.  😂

5 hours ago, electro said:

This new information still says vaccines are recommended. 

Vaccines are expected to have full FDA approval within a few weeks. 

Get it or don't. 

I stand by my statement that it is ironic to be waiting for herd immunity while not be willing to do what it takes to get there. 

I

The jab might finally get FDA approval in upcoming weeks, but the fact is they have NOT been approved up to this point......only for "emergency use".
And I stand by my statement that not all people can take the jab, or needs to.  Like it, or not.
Happy sailing!

5 minutes ago, Catnip said:

The jab might finally get FDA approval in upcoming weeks, but the fact is they have NOT been approved up to this point......only for "emergency use".
And I stand by my statement that not all people can take the jab, or needs to.  Like it, or not.
Happy sailing!

for me this is a non issue and a no brainer-- if ncl allows non-vaccinated cruisers on board, i want to know ahead of time so i can cancel. i dont mind wearing a mask, we've both been vaccinated, but i have a real problem with people who wont get the shot. i acknowledge it's their personal choice, but i choose not to be around them. im not condemning them, i just dont think it's a good move.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, complawyer said:

for me this is a non issue and a no brainer-- if ncl allows non-vaccinated cruisers on board, i want to know ahead of time so i can cancel. i dont mind wearing a mask, we've both been vaccinated, but i have a real problem with people who wont get the shot. i acknowledge it's their personal choice, but i choose not to be around them. im not condemning them, i just dont think it's a good move.

I don’t mind being around unvaccinated people on land. I don’t want them on a ship because I don’t want  to get quarantined on a ship or have the cruise otherwise disrupted because of loony loos who won’t get vaccinated. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It will be interesting to see if the Delta Variant - now the primary one in the UK - and responsible for their repeatedly extending their shut-down - will gain serious headway here.  It apparently already represents over 6% of US cases.  It makes me wonder what the impact on low-vaccine states will be.

28 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It will be interesting to see if the Delta Variant - now the primary one in the UK - and responsible for their repeatedly extending their shut-down - will gain serious headway here.  It apparently already represents over 6% of US cases.  It makes me wonder what the impact on low-vaccine states will be.

i think the unvaccinated wherever they are located are going to be sitting ducks if Delta gains headway here. I feel bad for the children who are not yet eligible for vaccines if it spreads. I hope enough of the population will be vaccinated so it does not take hold. I don’t feel too bad for the loony loos if they get the virus. They may get their wish to try herd immunity by catching the virus Didn’t work out well in India but it could be a good test of  Darwinism….

• Haha 1

Just saw report that Delta Variant now represents about 10% of cases - up from 2.5% in late May.   It does seem to be gaining headway here - due to its significantly higher rate of transmission.  Fortunately both Pfizer and Moderna vaccines remain effective in limiting serious illness.

19 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Just saw report that Delta Variant now represents about 10% of cases - up from 2.5% in late May.   It does seem to be gaining headway here - due to its significantly higher rate of transmission.  Fortunately both Pfizer and Moderna vaccines remain effective in limiting serious illness.

I just read this article about who is getting hospitalized. Virtually all covid patients hospialized are unvaccinated.  The vaccinses really do work. I feel very bad for the children who don't have a choice. Adults who can get vaccinated and choose not too......there is a hospital bed waiting for them. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/virtually-all-hospitalized-covid-patients-have-one-thing-common-they-n1270482

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 9:00 AM, 2CoolCanucks said:

Looking good for us non-vaccinated peeps as Royal Caribbean is no longer requiring people to be vaccinated to cruise from US ports. YAY! 

Big story today that RC fans are going to love or hate!

https://thepointsguy.com/news/royal-caribbean-unvaccinated-cruiser-restrictions/

On 7/3/2021 at 6:28 AM, ninjacat123 said:
On 7/3/2021 at 6:21 AM, CUTTERSAM said:

Big story today that RC fans are going to love or hate!

https://thepointsguy.com/news/royal-caribbean-unvaccinated-cruiser-restrictions/

Wow that's a lot of places that unvaccinated passengers can't go.  Thanks for posting!

I am reading the blog from the family currently on the Adventure of the Seas instead of what The Points Guy says (who I do follow BTW).  Getting it from the horses mouth.  They all look like they are having a lot of fun.  I am glad there are cruises for people with kids who are unvaccinated.  

Trying to bring this back to original topic 😁We are fully vaccinated.  Normally I'd say I'd go now or ASAP since I've already traveled on a plane, but I'm concerned about what the ships will do if there are cases on board, not like 1 family but a lot more.  I remember reading about all the people early last year who were "trapped" on board for days/weeks while it spread and many people died (there was a couple from my city who died), and no ports would let people off the ship.  When they finally got off the ship, they had to quarantine for two weeks before allowed to travel home. 

Do we know (in general) what protocols are in place if a lot of people were sick now?  I'm hoping w/most people vaccinated, it won't get that way.

My short answer is that the earliest I'd go is January 2023.

2 hours ago, boltnut55 said:

Do we know (in general) what protocols are in place if a lot of people were sick now?  I'm hoping w/most people vaccinated, it won't get that way.

Here's a current example of the protocols on one cruise line.

A couple of days ago, two passengers and one crew member on an American Cruise Line ship (fewer than 200 passengers) tested positive for Covid.  All passengers were supposedly vaccinated but not all the crew. They and their 'close' contacts were disembarked at a small port (Petersburg) and were isolated.  The ship with the remaining crew and passengers returned to Juneau four days early and the next scheduled cruise is canceled.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/alaska-cruise-ends-early-after-passengers-test-positive-for-covid-19-next-sailing-canceled/ar-AALZJfN.

See this thread on the American Cruise Line board for a first hand account:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 8:58 AM, navybankerteacher said:

We are now seeing what the impact on low-vaccine states is turning out to be.

The more "vaccine hesitancy" there is, the more variants there will be, and the greater likelihood of vaccine-resistant strains developing.

It is beyond frustrating hearing anti-vaxxers talking about doing their "research" -- when what they are really saying is they are reading up on web-sites which support their preconceptions.  They do not even know the meanings of words (such as "research") -- so how can they be reasoned with?

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, gooscar said:

What’s all this “breakthrough” with the people who have had the vaccine???

Was not it to prevent getting the virus???

No vaccine has 100% efficacy against disease. Pfizer and Moderna at ~94% efficacy is amazing. What it does prevent is serious illness and death even if they get sick enough to go to hospital.

I read an interesting article on the BBC website a few days ago about admissions in the UK to a major hospital called Bradford. They were suffering a resurgence of cases due to the Delta variant. There were a few cases that had been fully vaccinated. The difference was between the fully vaccinated and those with only one jab or no vaccine... the vaccinated healed and went home after a shorter time. They might require supplemental oxygen but none required ventilation.

The unvaccinated and partially vaccinated were more likely to require long hospitalisation, possibility of ventilation and sadly more likely to die. With Delta variant it has also been affecting younger people also.

1 hour ago, gooscar said:

What’s all this “breakthrough” with the people who have had the vaccine???

Was not it to prevent getting the virus???

It certainly limits the likelihood of getting the virus - and virtually certainly minimizes the negative effect the virus has on those vaccinated who do get it.  

I hope you do not really believe that any vaccine must be 100% effective before it can be considered effective.  But a number of your previous posts seem to indicate your pre-conceptions, so I wiush you luck.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

As previously posted, no vaccine is 100% but...a BIG BUT.......it will help to keep you from getting very sick, going to the ICU and dieing.......😲

I just got back from sailing to Greece......the ship only had 200 guests......we were tested a total of 3 times.......everyone came back negative😃

• Like 2

When even the Governor of Alabama comes out with the statement that everybody should get the shot (although she lacks the guts to start requiring it) there is hope.

At this point it is increasingly likely  that no one will cruise  without having gotten the shot.  Responsible lines will require it, and those that do not will  not be able to sail -- either because no ports will admit them, or they cannot find enough antivaxxers to fill their bunks.

This drivel about there only being "emergency approval" will shortly go away - once the FDA gets past their excess of caution.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 9:46 PM, Lois R said:

As previously posted, no vaccine is 100% but...a BIG BUT.......it will help to keep you from getting very sick, going to the ICU and dieing.......😲

I just got back from sailing to Greece......the ship only had 200 guests......we were tested a total of 3 times.......everyone came back negative😃

Sounds like it worked ..