How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

LauraS

How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?  

2,416 members have voted

1. 1. How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

• Within the first two months. Once I have the shots, I am ready to go
    • A few months – I’d take a different trip first
    • I would prefer to wait six months to a year
    • Other, explain below.....

On 3/11/2021 at 12:17 PM, cjmx said:

can i have a cruise without kids under 16 that haven't been vacinnated???

I'm betting as soon as everyone who wants a Covid shot has gotten one , it will be recommended that kids should be vaccinated . Sort of how masks weren't recommended for the general public and then they were . It's cynical but I get the idea behind it . ETA - 9 months from now ?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, richstowe said:

I'm betting as soon as everyone who wants a Covid shot has gotten one , it will be recommended that kids should be vaccinated . Sort of how masks weren't recommended for the general public and then they were . It's cynical but I get the idea behind it . ETA - 9 months from now ?

The vaccines are already being tested on kids.  The test groups are working backwards in age from 18 to the youngest.

https://www.today.com/health/kids-covid-19-vaccine-when-will-kids-be-vaccinated-t209942

• Like 3

1 hour ago, richstowe said:

There have to be trials on children as the trials did not include lower age groups.  The doses may need to be different because of less body mass. or they might not need be. Trials are underway. Likely by the time any meaningful cruising restarts vaccines will be approved for younger ages. Infants to 12 will probably be last but it may be nine months for that demographic. I don't see that is a big deal. It will proably be a year before ships sail at full capacity. Cruising is not going to recover fully for a couple of years. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

The vaccines are already being tested on kids. 

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

There have to be trials on children as the trials did not include lower age groups.

Absolutely . My point was that kids are up next once those pesky adults have gotten theirs . 

DH and I are scheduled to cruise out of Charleston on July 1, 2021 going to HMC and that's it.  We hope it happens, so that means Option 1 for us. We are getting our first round of shots May 6.

Edited by ninjacat123

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

DH and I are scheduled to cruise out of Charleston on July 1, 2021 going to HMC and that's it.  We hope it happens, so that means Option 1 for us. We are getting our first round of shots May 6.

If it happens , that may be the first cruise out of the US . Good luck .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Good Morning ninjacat - what/where is HMC?

Thanks 😎

19 minutes ago, Von & John said:

Good Morning ninjacat - what/where is HMC?

Thanks 😎

Hi Von & John!  HMC is short for Half Moon Cay, a private island in the Bahamas that Carnival stops at.  We usually rent a cabana and chill on a floatie in the turquoise waters.  A bbq buffet is served for lunch.  Very relaxing!  I'm hoping since ports could be an issue that having Half Moon Cay as our only stop (and less contact with people, like Nassau) our cruise will happen.  Crossing my fingers that all will go well and I can spend my 30th anniversary cruising with my DH🥰🥰

Well I am vaccinated and the wife will be soon so we have a short in sept, a b2b in late nov and a New years eve starting the day after Christmas on that old Rust Bucket called the Carnival Mardi Gra.  LOL ok she will be only a year old and seldom used.  I am concerned about restrictions but I will figure it all out.

6 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

What/where is HMC? I googled to no avail.

22 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Good morning,  which HAL ship sails out of Charleston? I love your city😃.......some fantastic

restaurants!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning,  which HAL ship sails out of Charleston? I love your city😃.......some fantastic

restaurants!!!!!!!!

None . I believe they are sailing Carnival Sunshine . Agree with you about Charleston .

I have received both doses of the Pfizer vaccine, but I am not ready to cruse yet.  Why?  I want to learn what the requirements to cruise will be.  Some possible requirements, yes, I can tolerate and am willing to spend money for the cruise.  If wearing a mask on the ship is one of them, no, I am not spending money for a cruise.  As much as I would like to cruise again, wearing a mask is most unpleasant for me for my own anatomical and physical reasons.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I have received both doses of the Pfizer vaccine, but I am not ready to cruse yet.  Why?  I want to learn what the requirements to cruise will be.  Some possible requirements, yes, I can tolerate and am willing to spend money for the cruise.  If wearing a mask on the ship is one of them, no, I am not spending money for a cruise.  As much as I would like to cruise again, wearing a mask is most unpleasant for me for my own anatomical and physical reasons.  

I wear hearing aids and when someone is talking while wearing a mask it's as though they are talking through a pillow.  Put them behind a plexiglass shield and it's even worse.  

• Like 3

We're vaccinated and have a cruise booked for this November.  However, if masks are going to be required and excursions limited, we will cancel.  We cruise to have fun and see new places, not stay on the ship or be loaded into buses with little choice to what we are going to do.

• Like 2

I think it is great that there is choice -- if people want to refuse vaccination, I suppose they have that right. And if people who run cruise lines want to be able to sell cruises to people who  want to cruise  - they have that right. And if authorities  who oversee cruising's effect on public health want to restrict cruising to only those people who get vaccinated, they have that right.  

At the end of the day such restrictions might result in more intelligent dinner conversations -- talk about unexpected consequences!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 2nd shot is scheduled for 4/6/21 and I believe they recommend a wait period after. I’m in the “other” category because my next cruise is scheduled 5 months out on 9/18/21 (if it sails) but I will not be taking a different trip/vacation in the meantime. 

I agree that getting the vaccine is a personal choice and I really do not judge anyone who decides it’s not for them. For me it’s a matter of necessity because I have an autoimmune disease slowly destroying my body and getting COVID would mean being on a vent at best. But everyone isn’t me thank God. I believe there is 70% of the world’s population who will decide on their own to get it and we can reach herd immunity.