Not a Vaccine but a Treatment

sparks1093

I was just reading an article that was saying that there is a potential treatment for COVID in the works that would severely limit the symptoms and reduce the length of the illness. This would be the real game changer in this fight since having an effective treatment would prevent our medical facilities from being overloaded to the breaking point. https://www.foxnews.com/health/new-covid-19-pill-virus-trials-dr-siegel (I haven't done any other research so I don't know if this is a pie in the sky wish or the real deal.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's crossed my mind countless times in the last year. We now have treatments for HIV/AIDS so many parts of the world it's no longer considered a fatal disease. Of course the transmission is way different but it gives me hope nonetheless.

• Like 1

A cheap and efficient treatments would be a wonderful thing!

This is especially true since the virus is continuing to mutate and shows resistance to current vaccines. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2021/03/07/fauci-virus-variant-thats-more-resistant-to-vaccine-spreading-efficiently-in-new-york/?sh=1ac8f2205cc4

When you factor in any lags for gaining approvals for new vaccines tt's looking more and more like COVID is here forever.   We shouldn't be surprised that viruses mutate faster than government approvals.

That vaccine passport we have been discussing is going to be needed to be kept up to date as more shots are in the offing!  Invest in the right pharma companies and your future cruises will be "free!"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pfizer-and-biontech-studying-third-covid-19-vaccine-dose-to-fight-new-strains-11614253507

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I was just reading an article that was saying that there is a potential treatment for COVID in the works that would severely limit the symptoms and reduce the length of the illness. This would be the real game changer in this fight since having an effective treatment would prevent our medical facilities from being overloaded to the breaking point. https://www.foxnews.com/health/new-covid-19-pill-virus-trials-dr-siegel (I haven't done any other research so I don't know if this is a pie in the sky wish or the real deal.)

A woman who I went to school with who was born in and currently lives in Aruba believes that a flower that grows there can cure every disease from Cancer to Covid.She said you boil the flower and then drink the liquid.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

A woman who I went to school with who was born in and currently lives in Aruba believes that a flower that grows there can cure every disease from Cancer to Covid.She said you boil the flower and then drink the liquid.

And then you die, no more symptoms, no more pain.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I went on a walking tour in Tortola, and we saw a tree which supposedly did the same thing.... Presumably there's no illness in either of these islands.

Let's stay within  the realm of reality and not get too carried away with this. It's only in early stage trials. In the last year there have been several such drugs touted as "cures" that have failed. Even with expedited, massive, stage 3 trials it could be another year before an EUA might be authorized. By all accounts, the majority of people living in first world countries will be vaccinated by then. And just how much would a course of this drug cost? And would insurance cover it if it doesn't have full approval?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suspect the OP is talking about Merck's drug called Molnupiravir which is currently in Phase 2 studies for treating COVID.  Apparently the results are very promising but, like any drug, it would first need to clear the Phase 2 trials and then enter Phase 3 trials.  It is an oral drug that would be used in the early stages of COVID.  

Hank

Fox News and the Wall Street Journal seemed to have picked up the story on Molnupiravir by Merck and Ridgeback Co.,, but I had a difficult time finding any mention in major international news or USA news coverage.

It is a very early, small introductory clinical study.  Companies often put out these "news bulletins" to spike investor interest.

At present, the study states that the drug might shorten the length of the illness.  Nowhere in the release does it mention the word "cure" and the drug name together.

https://www.merck.com/news/ridgeback-biotherapeutics-and-merck-announce-preliminary-findings-from-a-phase-2a-trial-of-investigational-covid-19-therapeutic-molnupiravir/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, evandbob said:

At present, the study states that the drug might shorten the length of the illness.  Nowhere in the release does it mention the word "cure" and the drug name together.

I'm no longer up to date on HIV/AIDS but I'm pretty sure it's treatment. Not a cure at all. 

• Like 1

Problem with treatment is it doesn't prevent the illness so it will never be superior to a vaccine. At the end of the day treatment costs more than preventing an illness so it will not be suitable for poorer countries and those with little medical facilities. Also I'm not sure it would be suitable on a cruise ship where contagions can transmit pretty fast. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Awww mushrooms! I remember those days... sorta... well kinda.... ok, I don't

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Problem with treatment is it doesn't prevent the illness so it will never be superior to a vaccine

While I agree with this statement, it seems the virus is mutating faster than the all in vaccination delivery process when you factor in R&D, testing, approvals, manufacturing, distribution, etc. Maybe things will scale up and go faster with derivative vaccines not needing the same level of approval.

Treatments are probably a good thing.

Edited by SelectSys

2 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Awww mushrooms! I remember those days... sorta... well kinda.... ok, I don't

Aww, the teachings of Don Juan!  I had almost forgot. 😀

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I suspect the OP is talking about Merck's drug called Molnupiravir which is currently in Phase 2 studies for treating COVID.  Apparently the results are very promising but, like any drug, it would first need to clear the Phase 2 trials and then enter Phase 3 trials.  It is an oral drug that would be used in the early stages of COVID.  

Hank

Yes, that is the drug mentioned and yes, we must be mindful that it is still in early stages. But an effective treatment would be a bigger game changer than a vaccine and the two together would be even better.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, evandbob said:

Fox News and the Wall Street Journal seemed to have picked up the story on Molnupiravir by Merck and Ridgeback Co.,, but I had a difficult time finding any mention in major international news or USA news coverage.

It is a very early, small introductory clinical study.  Companies often put out these "news bulletins" to spike investor interest.

https://www.merck.com/news/ridgeback-biotherapeutics-and-merck-announce-preliminary-findings-from-a-phase-2a-trial-of-investigational-covid-19-therapeutic-molnupiravir/

That's why I included my disclaimer but I have noticed that what one section of the media covers the other section of the media ignores, which is why I try to pay attention to both so I have a broader view of what is going on. I think a treatment that shortens the length and severity of the illness is as close to a "cure" as can be achieved and having an effective treatment is something that should be strived for. 

9 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Problem with treatment is it doesn't prevent the illness so it will never be superior to a vaccine. At the end of the day treatment costs more than preventing an illness so it will not be suitable for poorer countries and those with little medical facilities. Also I'm not sure it would be suitable on a cruise ship where contagions can transmit pretty fast. 

A treatment might not be superior to a vaccine but even a vaccine isn't 100% effective so having an effective treatment should go hand in hand with a vaccine. I know that if I get COVID in spite of being vaccinated I wouldn't refuse a treatment. As I understand all of this debate about lockdowns etc. it is to prevent our medical facilities from being over-run with patients that need extensive care in order to survive. An effective treatment is less costly than a stay in the ICU and the outlook for the patient is better (although even with vaccines and treatments people will still die, the flu shows us that).

37 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

A treatment might not be superior to a vaccine but even a vaccine isn't 100% effective so having an effective treatment should go hand in hand with a vaccine. I know that if I get COVID in spite of being vaccinated I wouldn't refuse a treatment. As I understand all of this debate about lockdowns etc. it is to prevent our medical facilities from being over-run with patients that need extensive care in order to survive. An effective treatment is less costly than a stay in the ICU and the outlook for the patient is better (although even with vaccines and treatments people will still die, the flu shows us that).

When I was answering I was thinking more in terms of travel. I don't think treatment is going to be much use as destinations would probably prefer not to have tourists bring in the virus at all since if a tourist brings in the virus it will still cause outbreaks that need to be contained. Maybe it will be useful for less transient communities but for popular tourist destinations they would be better off focusing on prevention. 

10 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

When I was answering I was thinking more in terms of travel. I don't think treatment is going to be much use as destinations would probably prefer not to have tourists bring in the virus at all since if a tourist brings in the virus it will still cause outbreaks that need to be contained. Maybe it will be useful for less transient communities but for popular tourist destinations they would be better off focusing on prevention. 

Yes, it is easy to be focused on travel on a travel website but even if a treatment doesn't have an immediate impact on travel I would think that it would have one nonetheless since it's another tool in the toolkit.