my travel agent mistakenly cancelled my cruise

BAYA

I am curious what my options might be in this scenario: contrary to my instructions via email my travel agent (according to Royal Caribbean) called them on 4-1-21 and cancelled the two cabins I had booked on Mariner of the Seas for Dec.13, 2021. I requested no such thing. I was expecting that Royal would move us to a different sailing in December as they had announced in March. My two cabins were booked using an FCC from March 2020. So now I no longer have the price protection afforded by the policy to move passengers to a different date. My TA went on vacation on 4-2-21 and I am right now dealing with another home-based agent that is merely covering for my agent's clients while she is out of the US on vacation. 

Any suggestions on what recourse I have? 

36 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Call RCCL  & ask for  a supervisor  & explain the situation

tell them you want the cabins  rebooked

Thanks. I can try. Earlier today (before I found out the agent had cancelled them), Royal refused to give me any info at all. I spoke with a supervisor then who also stonewalled me.

I regret ever using a travel agent! Learned my lesson.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BAYA said:

Thanks. I can try. Earlier today (before I found out the agent had cancelled them), Royal refused to give me any info at all. I spoke with a supervisor then who also stonewalled me.

Not all Travel agents are created equal 😉

Do you still have your FCC on file with RCCL?

if so just call & rebook the cruise or another one of your choice

17 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Not all Travel agents are created equal 😉

Do you still have your FCC on file with RCCL?

if so just call & rebook the cruise or another one of your choice

That doesn't seem to help the OP with the loss of their price protection...right.

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

That doesn't seem to help the OP with the loss of their price protection...right.

Exactly the problem, the price protection is lost and we all know the prices are rising constantly and have done for the Dec. 9th cruise I was supposed to be moved to.

And to answer @LHT28, we no longer have the original FCCs because they were "redeemed" for the Dec. 13th cruise. When I looked them up online they said they were already used. And RCCL has not reissued them yet since the "bad agent" cancelled the cruise on 4/1. Bad agent's stand-in is now arguing with RCCL on my behalf trying to straighten out the mess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BAYA said:

I am curious what my options might be in this scenario: contrary to my instructions via email my travel agent (according to Royal Caribbean) called them on 4-1-21 and cancelled the two cabins I had booked on Mariner of the Seas for Dec.13, 2021. I requested no such thing. I was expecting that Royal would move us to a different sailing in December as they had announced in March. My two cabins were booked using an FCC from March 2020. So now I no longer have the price protection afforded by the policy to move passengers to a different date. My TA went on vacation on 4-2-21 and I am right now dealing with another home-based agent that is merely covering for my agent's clients while she is out of the US on vacation. 

Any suggestions on what recourse I have? 

Think you’ll find your TA will act as an agent only on your behalf, with many exclusions in their terms and conditions.  In a nutshell, you possibly have no legal recourse, and basically it’s your fault because you engaged the agent.

Out of courtesy, thought the TA would have moved heaven and earth to put things right.

RC are correct to stay out of the problem.

22 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Think you’ll find your TA will act as an agent only on your behalf, with many exclusions in their terms and conditions.  In a nutshell, you possibly have no legal recourse, and basically it’s your fault because you engaged the agent.

Out of courtesy, thought the TA would have moved heaven and earth to put things right.

RC are correct to stay out of the problem.

I would give the stand-in one day to correct this. Then her recourse is the email instructions. Go directly to the head of the agency and let them politely know you expect this to be corrected to your satisfaction.

14 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

I would give the stand-in one day to correct this. Then her recourse is the email instructions. Go directly to the head of the agency and let them politely know you expect this to be corrected to your satisfaction.

Thought the reserve would have worked to correct immediately the concern was raised.

But for some reason, the protocol of bucket, sand, head, insert is being followed.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

no but if the TA cannot help  nor  a supervisor at RCCL   what option would  they have  if they want that cruise ?

Maybe they can call daily until they get  someone to re book the cruise under the  PPP 🤔

The "bad agent" and the stand-in agent are home-based sole proprietors working as franchisees (is that the right term for it?) for a huge national travel company (HNTC). I had already called the HNTC this afternoon when I got no satisfaction calling the RCCL Crown & Anchor desk, and was told I had to wait to hear from the "bad agent" who was out of the US on vacation or her "backup" person. So calling the headquarters of the franchise did me no good. 

Is this another lesson to take away -- do not use home-based sole proprietor/LLC franchise agents? I am sure some are good at their jobs, but my luck with a couple of different ones suggests I should steer clear of them in the future.

1 hour ago, BAYA said:

The "bad agent" and the stand-in agent are home-based sole proprietors working as franchisees (is that the right term for it?) for a huge national travel company (HNTC). I had already called the HNTC this afternoon when I got no satisfaction calling the RCCL Crown & Anchor desk, and was told I had to wait to hear from the "bad agent" who was out of the US on vacation or her "backup" person. So calling the headquarters of the franchise did me no good. 

Is this another lesson to take away -- do not use home-based sole proprietor/LLC franchise agents? I am sure some are good at their jobs, but my luck with a couple of different ones suggests I should steer clear of them in the future.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that this situation is straightened out in your favor.

5 hours ago, BAYA said:

Email the CEO.

6 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

First question. Why are you not DEMANDING ( if the TA screwed this up) that the TA fix this to your previous situation, without any cost or consequences to you?

And, why not ask this on the RcI board?

Demanding is getting me nowhere. Bad agent is out of the country on a vacation and is hiding behind "spotty internet" and foisting this off on another agent from the national franchise company.

This is a general question forum and my question has less to do specifically with RCL and more to do with travel agent mistakes and what recourse the client has.

Based on all of the replies I have no protection from travel agent mistakes. I'm exhausted from the emails, texts, and phone calls already spent on this mess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many highly recommend using a travel agent. Here is an example of why booking the cruise through the cruise line may be a better option. I had a similar situation and by the time my agent got around to it, the lower price was gone. All I got was a "sorry."  Lesson learned.

Edited by Markanddonna
  • Like 1

It is said that if you use a reputable TA it will save you money, but unfortunately by the time you realize that the person isn't reputable the damage is done and the recourse available is nil. OP, I hope that RCI returns your FCC to you so you can book another cruise and they do it before prices rise too much more.

2 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I once had a bad meal in a restaurant so I never go out to eat anymore.

Probably not, but you would likely avoid the restaurant that gave you a bad meal (and I doubt that the meal came anywhere near close to costing what a cruise costs, which also factors into things).

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

OP, Typically the recourse for a TA mistake would be to escalate the issue to management. TAs should carry insurance to rectify mistakes. So, for example, if they cancelled your cruise and lost your great fare, then you should be able to re-book the cruise at the same price with the TA eating the difference. However, you situation is unique in that it is a home sole proprietor. You may be out of luck on that one. I wouldn't look at it as a lesson against using a TA in the future, but certainly against using someone who doesn't legitimately work for a company. 

Some options at this point. 

1. If the parent franchise company is on the better business bureau you could try complaining to them. 

2. You can also try talking to this company. They help to advocate for consumers. 

Elliott Advocacy - Here to help

8 hours ago, BAYA said:

Based on all of the replies I have no protection from travel agent mistakes. I'm exhausted from the emails, texts, and phone calls already spent on this mess.

BAYA,

Be strong.  I understand your frustration.  

As previous poster mentioned, contacting your BBB and/or the Consumer Protection Division of your state's Attorney General's office might be of some help to you.  

7 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Many highly recommend using a travel agent. Here is an example of why booking the cruise through the cruise line may be a better option. I had a similar situation and by the time my agent got around to it, the lower price was gone. All I got was a "sorry."  Lesson learned.

There are travel agents who are experienced and work for a reputable, cruise/travel agency whose management and agents "have been around the barn" many times.  Some--maybe most, I am unsure--of these agents work from home.  A home based working agent does not signify the quality or expertise of that person.  I discovered yesterday that the gentleman who provides me with financial information/advice and is employed by a well known national brokerage company is still working from home.  

I am one who recommends using a travel agent in making cruise bookings. I am not retreating from that point of view.  One has do proper research on the travel agency, their agents.  And understand that "the lowest price quoted by some national agency" may not be able to provide the "service" that I have experienced by using the agents whom I have used.  

8 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

More than likely I'm the only one that will agree with you. I've been booking directly with RCI since the early 1990's and over 30 cruises and counting.

No reason to change what's always worked well not only for us but our extended family.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BAYA said:

Demanding is getting me nowhere. Bad agent is out of the country on a vacation and is hiding behind "spotty internet" and foisting this off on another agent from the national franchise company.

This is a general question forum and my question has less to do specifically with RCL and more to do with travel agent mistakes and what recourse the client has.

So you HAVE contacted the CEO? Twice, once with an airline and once with a cruise line, I found it to be effective. Obviously THEY didn't deal with it personally but passed it to someone and I had success.

@BAYA : When you booked through this TA, did you read the terms of your contract with them? Was there a section absolving them for any responsibility or liability for errors made in undertaking bookings for the national company?  And did the national company of which the TA was a franchisee somehow absolve itself of any responsibility for bookings by franchisees?  I am unwilling to hire any company that tries to force me to assume responsibility for their mistakes.

Finally, why did you choose this TA? Knowing the answer to this question (price better than others, friend of a friend, good online reputation, etc) may help you, me, and other readers learn whether to write off all TAs or whether more diligence in hiring them would be enough.

• Like 2