CDC says we may be able to start cruising from US this summer

25 minutes ago, jonbgd said:

O wow that is pretty late in the year

is that that normal during non pandemic or is to make up for snow days

I remember memorial day to labor day was considered summer time 

That is the normal school calendar in Canada.  School starts the first week of September and ends the last week of June.  School year is never extended for snow days. (At least in Ontario) 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That is the normal school calendar in Canada.  School starts the first week of September and ends the last week of June.  School year is never extended for snow days. (At least in Ontario) 

Here in uk, state school starts early Sept and end around 18th July, but our kids gets two weeks off at Christmas and Easter plus a week off at half term in Oct, Feb and May 

Rumour is there may be catch up sessions this summer hols 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Umm, summer starts on Memorial Day. End of May. Summer ends on Labor Day, early September

Technically, Summer starts June 20th and ends on September 22nd.

Edited by cruiseguy1016
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Technically, Summer starts June 20th and ends on September 22nd.

Sure, but we've evolved.

Screenshot_20210407-072253_Google.thumb.jpg.6832ec746dcc13691dc4975f57d8efb6.jpg

Did you know school starts down here 1st week of August

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bloomberg was the first to report the alleged statement by the CDC before the other news outlets got a hold of it.  I don't see it in any of the direct CDC press releases. Let's hope the midsummer timeline pans out.  Hopefully it won't turn out to be another "Midsummer Night's Dream". 

• Like 2

Let's get back to the topic please (we all know summer begins the last day of school for those folks with children - those without children it can be summer year round).

IMO the CDC will begin to feel the pressure of the the major Cruise Companies moving away from US ports. This appears to be the motivation for a little movement on the CDC front. Sure, when things quiet down and sailing can resume the cruises will come back but I don't think they will ever forget the treatment of their industry by the CDC. The Cruise Lines have learned a very valuable lesson - the CDC is not their friend and in order to survive they must begin sailing to generate cash flow ... and if the CDC (and Canada for that matter) will not let them operate well ..... they have other options. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, screenname2004 said:

6/15 is late spring, not mid-summer.

If CDC is aiming for mid-summer, my guess is Aug.

Mid-June may not have reached the equinox, but I don't know anyone who would call it "late spring".  

Here's the email response I received from the CDC regarding cruising, I got it at 4:30 pm yesterday. 

Thank you for your suggestion to CDC-INFO.

Your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate CDC program for their information.

Additionally, here is some information about when the cruise lines will be able to start sailing passengers again regarding COVID-19 that may be helpful to you.

Currently, CDC does not have enough information to say when it will be safe for cruise ships to resume passenger operations. CDC will continue to work with cruise lines to ensure that all necessary public health procedures are in place before cruise lines begin sailing with passengers.

At this time, the COVID-19 pandemic continues to spread around the world. There have been several recent instances of outbreaks of COVID-19 on board cruise ships in countries that have allowed passenger operations to resume, despite cruise ship operators implementing measures in an attempt to control the disease, highlighting the need for further action prior to resuming passenger operations

CDC will continue to update its guidance and recommendations to specify basic safety standards and public health interventions based on best available scientific evidence.

CDC will also continue to consult with international maritime public health partners on ways to reduce COVID-19 transmission on ships and will continue to monitor the global COVID-19 situation.

In addition, CDC will continue to help cruise lines provide for the safety and well-being of their crew members while on board cruise ships and as they disembark.

In addition to the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order (CSO), there is also a Level 4 Travel Health Notice advising against all cruise travel.

7 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

The role of the CDC, will be played by King Lear.

LOL -- Let's hope they don't follow King Lear's cue and go insane...or have they done that already?  

I think the cruise industry views Dr. Rochelle Walensky as Lady McBeth, plotting their demise. 

15 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

LOL -- Let's hope they don't follow King Lear's cue and go insane...or have they done that already?  

I think the cruise industry views Dr. Rochelle Walensky as Lady McBeth, plotting their demise. 

Surely there will be more back stabbing and eye gouging to come in the months ahead. 

Further summer Shakespeare inspired CDC hits, to include the following lines.

• My Kingdom for a Cruise.
  • To cruise or not to cruise, that is the question.
  • Now is the summer of our discontent. 
  • The CDC doth protest too much, methinks.

•  What light through yonder porthole breaks.

• Lord, what fools thee CDC be.

A few other lines need no changes.

• We have seen better days.

• Off with their heads.

• This is very midsummer madness.

• Nothing will come of nothing.

• Off with his head! (not really but you get the idea)

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

It would be great to get things going this summer. That would give me several months to observe things before having to commit a final payment. If I don't like what is going on then my refundable deposits will be back in my bank account.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Seriously, dude...the CDC doesn’t care about “blame”.  The cruise lines either meet the requirements to sail or not.  The only “blame” the CDC might take is if they dropped the CSO and let the cruise lines sail without any oversight or restrictions and something disastrous happened.  Think about it!  Oh wait...

Why aren’t the same restrictions on our southern border? Politics over life.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vegas7df said:

Here's the email response I received from the CDC regarding cruising, I got it at 4:30 pm yesterday. 

Thank you for your suggestion to CDC-INFO.

Your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate CDC program for their information.

Additionally, here is some information about when the cruise lines will be able to start sailing passengers again regarding COVID-19 that may be helpful to you.

Currently, CDC does not have enough information to say when it will be safe for cruise ships to resume passenger operations. CDC will continue to work with cruise lines to ensure that all necessary public health procedures are in place before cruise lines begin sailing with passengers.

At this time, the COVID-19 pandemic continues to spread around the world. There have been several recent instances of outbreaks of COVID-19 on board cruise ships in countries that have allowed passenger operations to resume, despite cruise ship operators implementing measures in an attempt to control the disease, highlighting the need for further action prior to resuming passenger operations

CDC will continue to update its guidance and recommendations to specify basic safety standards and public health interventions based on best available scientific evidence.

CDC will also continue to consult with international maritime public health partners on ways to reduce COVID-19 transmission on ships and will continue to monitor the global COVID-19 situation.

In addition, CDC will continue to help cruise lines provide for the safety and well-being of their crew members while on board cruise ships and as they disembark.

In addition to the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order (CSO), there is also a Level 4 Travel Health Notice advising against all cruise travel.

Sounds like an outdated canned response to which I would reply:

Dear Dr. Walensky:

I respectfully request your review of the reply I received from your agency on March 6, 2021 as I believe there may have been further updates since that date.

To date, nearly 500,000 American longshoremen, ground transportation operators, travel agents, and hotel, restaurant, and retail workers, as well as the tens of thousands of businesses that service cruise ships, depend on a functioning cruise industry for their livelihoods.  Unless the cruise industry is granted the same status as the rest of the travel and tourism industry, these Americans are being excluded from participating in the economic recovery from the pandemic and are facing undue economic hardships.

Please consider these Americans.

Appreciatively,

So and so

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Isn't the CDC's boss a "she"?

I think he means Biden as the CDC's Rochelle Walensky's boss.  Biden did stipulate we could have July 4th BBQ in our backyards but that was before the number of vaccinations went way ahead of schedule.  

• Like 1