New CDC limitations on cruise ship return to service - as of 5/5/21

srpilo

48 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

Children always throw tantrums when they don't get their way, Adults do what is necessary.

42 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

age isn't always the sign of maturity...

40 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

Expressing that you disagree with the CDC placing the same restrictions on a cruise with vaccinated passengers as they are placing on a cruise with unvaccinated passengers and choosing to spend your vacation dollars elsewhere for the time being is hardly throwing a tantrum.

Expressing that you disagree is one thing. But a good number of posts border on pitching a fit because restrictions are going to apply.  There will be some restrictions on cruises, whether fully vaccinated or not, for some time to come not only out of the US but elsewhere around the world.  It is just a function of the times.  Folks can go or not go.  Free choice is a wonderful thing. 

37 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:

Nor are these pointless posts.... talk about thread drift !

This thread is about CDC restrictions and folks’ reactions to them. Not thread drift at all.

3 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

This thread is about CDC restrictions and folks’ reactions to them. Not thread drift at all

25 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

Cookies and Milk in the lido in fifteen minutes

14 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

By reservation only….

I stand corrected.... no thread drift at all..... SMH

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Expressing that you disagree is one thing. But a good number of posts border on pitching a fit because restrictions are going to apply.  There will be some restrictions on cruises, whether fully vaccinated or not, for some time to come not only out of the US but elsewhere around the world.  It is just a function of the times.  Folks can go or not go.  Free choice is a wonderful thing. 

I have no idea what qualifies as a good number, but I do not recall very many posts that were pitching a fit because restrictions in general were going to apply. Yes, people complained about restrictions they believe go to far such as wearing a mask while seated for dinner or no self guided exploration in ports.  However, there are other restrictions that they are fine with such as limited ship capacity or no self-serve buffets. As you said this thread is for expressing their opinions or feelings around the CDC guidelines.  Just cause their opinions are different from yours does not make them right, wrong or invalid. Just different.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

I have no idea what qualifies as a good number, but I do not recall very many posts that were pitching a fit because restrictions in general were going to apply. Yes, people complained about restrictions they believe go to far such as wearing a mask while seated for dinner or no self guided exploration in ports.  However, there are other restrictions that they are fine with such as limited ship capacity or no self-serve buffets. As you said this thread is for expressing their opinions or feelings around the CDC guidelines.  Just cause their opinions are different from yours does not make them right, wrong or invalid. Just different.

Never said anyone’s opinions are right or wrong.  I understand that folks are are unhappy with some of the restrictions. But many of the restrictions, including masks indoors and restricted shore excursions should not come as a surprise.  Cruises are currently being operated elsewhere under those conditions and it would appear that most of the new vaccinated cruises to be conducted elsewhere will as well.

I think people have misinterpreted the “mask at meals” provision.  I don’t think it means wearing a mask while seated for dinner. I think the point is to avoid extraordinarily long periods of time not wearing a mask while not “actively” eating or drinking.  Just my opinion obviously.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rucrazy said:

Cookies and Milk in the lido in fifteen minutes

9 hours ago, KirkNC said:

By reservation only….

I will make a reservation, but, only if the cookies available are Oatmeal Raisin, Peanut Butter, Shortbread, or the delicious Gingerbread Men during Holiday cruises.  😀

Will a scoop of ice cream be available as well?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I will make a reservation, but, only if the cookies available are Oatmeal Raisin, Peanut Butter, Shortbread, or the delicious Gingerbread Men during Holiday cruises.  😀

👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I hope so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Brentt_M said:

It's the very restrictive conditions the CDC has set for cruises WITH a vax mandate that seems to be what has most people on this thread fired up.

Yes, we are taking baby steps forward. IMO, that's good thing. Let the experts have the final say on safety issues. Methodically testing and proving, before we advance to the next stage.

After all, the CDC's record on cruising is perfect. No cruises = No hospitalizations = No deaths. Shore-side, USA has suffered 580k dead. That's in the same tier as deaths from cancer (all types) or heart disease (all causes). 

No, that's not the CDC's fault. Check the chain of command...

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/chain-of-command-1918082

Never forget: Covid19 is an infectious disease. It's only purpose is to infect and reproduce. It has proven very adept. In contrast, humans have limitations with consistency and focus.

25 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I hope the ice cream will be Hagan Dazs as what was once served on HAL ships.  Pineapple Coconut is my preferred treat.  

Never had that combo, I do like coconut.  Not sure the year they changed but the ice cream served today is no where near Hagan Dazs except you can get Ben & Jerry’s in Pinnacle.  We order just the ice cream not the whole dessert.

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Ben & Jerry’s in Pinnacle.  We order just the ice cream not the whole dessert.

I have had the Baked Alaska with Ben & Jerry's.  It's good, but it is not the real Baked Alaska of yesteryear.  I know others that just order the ice cream as well.  While I like ice cream, if I am in the PG, such seems to be such an ordinary dessert.  I'll more often than not order the PG Souffle offered.  My batting average for satisfaction of that choice is not great.  

14 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have had the Baked Alaska with Ben & Jerry's.  It's good, but it is not the real Baked Alaska of yesteryear.  I know others that just order the ice cream as well.  While I like ice cream, if I am in the PG, such seems to be such an ordinary dessert.  I'll more often than not order the PG Souffle offered.  My batting average for satisfaction of that choice is not great.  

We have actually had some success getting waiters from Canaletto and the MDR to bring us just the ice cream, no toppings, it’s quite good on its own.

It looks like the CDC just changed its rules again regarding port visits and shore excursions.  I thought it was requiring only ship's shore excursions.  Perhaps I missed this change and it is old news:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

Fully Vaccinated Travelers

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may engage in self-guided or independent exploration during port stops, if they wear a mask while indoors. The cruise ship operator is additionally advised that foreign jurisdictions may have their own requirements.
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Torquer said:

It looks like the CDC just changed its rules again regarding port visits and shore excursions.  I thought it was requiring only ship's shore excursions.  Perhaps I missed this change and it is old news:

• Cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that—if they are fully vaccinated—they may engage in self-guided or independent exploration during port stops, if they wear a mask while indoors. The cruise ship operator is additionally advised that foreign jurisdictions may have their own requirements.

That looks new to me and is encouraging.  Thanks 🙂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Another step forward?

I would say so.  Being allowed to get off on your own if you are vaccinated sounds like a step forward to me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Torquer said:

Nice to see continuing benefits for those who are vaccinated.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

IMO it’s the governments of our ports of call that are the biggest detriment to our full international return to cruising?

Fingers crossed on that one!🤞

That will depend on the country. Some countries may be more likely to give up Covid restrictions for tourist money, others less inclined to.